Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevrolet Silverado

ruzruz Posts: 59
edited February 28 in Chevrolet
This is the topic for continuation of discussions
about the Chevrolet Silverado.

Comments

• ruzruz Posts: 59
    To see the earlier discusisons about the Silverado, check out topic #14, 1999 Chevrolet Silverado.
  • dave40dave40 Posts: 582
    HOWS that new 5.3 with 270 hp ? Do you notice much difference than the old 5.7 255hp any good o-60 times ? Anynbody get the 4.10 rear , Hows that take off? Lay any rubber yet?
  • RichinKsRichinKs Posts: 416
    Horses, I got to test drive a 5.3 Z71 with 4.10. Compared to my 97 Z71 with 3.42 5.7 with 255 horses, the 5.3 was much quicker. But how much was the rearend and how much the engine I don't know. Rich
    what did you order color, engine, rear. ect, ect, ect
    Dave40, I ordered CK25753, a 3/4 tom extended cab swb, 4x4 , LT, automatic, 4.10 rear, Firm Ride suspension, Locking Diff., Heavy duty trailer equip., Skid plates, All-season tires BSW, bucket seats, Camper & fifth wheel wiring, sunset gold paint, w/ med oak leather interior. Deliver by April 1 but no year specified (G). Rich
    I just got the new brochure last week that had just come into the dealer. It is 52 pages and has a silver cover. But cann't find the picture your describing. Dave, your not going to get to drive your truck much for the first month with all the work your doing on it(G). I have a amplified Bazooka tube mounted under the back seat of my current truck that I will move to the new one. I have the radio in my 97 that comes with the LT, 6 speakers CD, tape. Not as good as what your looking at, but I think pretty good for this old rock-n-roller. Also the brake control. I will have a Roll-n-lock bed cover also. Will also put in a bedliner at the same time, but have not picked a brand. My current removable 5th wheel I will have installed with new mounting brackets in the bed. My wheel flares will be the color of the truck. I've only seen flares in black before so I'm not sure how that will look. I still have the option to make changes when the allocation is available. ....... Rich
  • I have tried to order a 3/4 ton, 2500 extcab short bed but last tues. there were no allocations. A reg cab 2500 5sp showed up two days ago and of course I went and drove it. Compared to the Dodge 2500 with the 5.9 this new Chev product really feels strong and tight. It also feels much better than the F250L.D. I tried to keep an open mind and drove all three in the same tow and price range. I previously owned a 1500 Dodge 96 but had enough little problems that I sold it. When I went to spec out and order the Silverado I originally wanted the 1500 with the 5.3but it only comes with Auto-Trans and I really dont care for the auto. An interesting note: By the time you add all the options to an L.S. 1500; larger engine , mandatory Auto-trans, etc. the cost comes to the same as a 2500 with a larger engine and the 5sp. My only concern at this point is the gas milage with the 6L engine. The MPG with the 5.3 is so good, it sure is to bad this eng isnt offered with a manual trans. Another thing I noticed is the Heavy-duty Trailer pkg is not available with the 2500 5sp. Strange...Iguess now I have to check with my dealer every Tues. and hope for one of those "allocations" to come my way. Till later......
    Did that 2500 you drove have the 6.0 engine ? How bout the rear 4/10 or 373/
    How did the truck preform with the 6.0 ?
  • It was a 2500 Reg Cab L.S. pkg, 8ft bed with 6L engine and a 4.10 Locking (Lim-slip) Differential. It was white with Graphite interior. This color is almost black and the cloth seats had little specs of random color, it was a very smart looking enterior. Just had a knob on the floor to engage 4WD. Did not have Auto-Trac option. The dealer let me drive around by myself so I took a good half hour and checked everything out. Talk about low end grunt! This is THE Truck. The 1st gear is really low and would only be used for going real slow off road or for getting a heavy tow under way. Leaving the driveway or a stop sign calls for 2nd gear takeoffs. This engine has 355 ft.lbs of torque, which is 10 more than the Dodge 5.9L. With 300H.P.,this truck has all the muscle I will ever need. My camper and stuff shouldnt go over 6000 lbs. so I will order the 3.73 rear. I called the Chevy 800 number and got someone to say MPG of 12/16. This is excellent for this size engine and 300H.P.!! It had the Z85 Firm Ride Suspension which felt just right. I will order an Ext cab version when I get the chance. By the way, I have never owned A G.M. truck before but after comparing the rides on all three, I must say that The Silverado does it for me.
    What color fender flares did that 2500 have? Did you notice if they were painted black or just black plastic unpainted ?Were the wheels chrome platted steel or allunium ? tires 245s or 265s ? Did it have the transmision tempeture gauge? overhead console ?
    thanks dave40
  • dave40

think twice before you pull the factory radio out. They are running more and more class 2 data threw the radio. Which in turn will screw up alot of other computers etc. You can complain about it all you want but that is they way they are shifting things over. All in the name of less weight more features
  • The rims were chrome plated steel, dealer said some come this way even when ordered with forged aluminum. The tires were 245/75R16. I dont know if this is the standard tire or an upgrade. The fender flares were unpainted black plastic. The overhead consul had a little cubbyhole for glasses and two map lights. Did not have Transmission gauge as this was a 5sp.
    What is class 2 data ?
    Can I still hook a sub woffer up to the stock radio and speakers ?
    To me it is difficult to add on a radio to many of the new vehicles. Radio's used to have a standard size, today all kind of weird shapes. I added an aftermarket radio to my 94 full size Blazer. Had to get a new plastic piece for the dash that included the center airconditioning duct. I was left with both the old and new radio's installed. The original was nearly square in shape. Looked weird to have two radio's. My 97 Z71 has a radio that looks identical to the 99 TOL. including 6 speakers. I have a amplified bazooka tube attached for what thats worth and installed under the back seat. But the irregular shape of the radio makes me believe a person would have the same problems as my 94 Blazer. You will have difficulty finding an aftermarket radio that will fit the opening. Just my opinion. Rich
  • I've read several places about the flat torque curve of the new 4.8, 5.3, and 6.0 GM engines. Where can I get a graph of these new curves?
  • dave

class 2 data is what the computers on the truck use to talk to each other. I am currently in class learning about the new versions coming out on gmc new vehicles. Not exactly sure that the truck is wired this way this year, but alot of the other models are and the rest are soon to follow. I'm no stereo guru but take a listen to the stereo that is in there. Sounds pretty damn good to me, for being in a truck. Best bet ask around at stereo shops to see if they can patch into current system. If not consider having another system mounted in the center counsel or something. That way no one would exspect a thumping radio if they see the factory one still there.

Another option to check into is AC/DELCO makes upgrade features for gm vehicles, that is not well known. Like cell phones etc. There quality is very good but there price is very high. They might make some upgrade stereo. They may even have a "bose" version like in the vettes. Don't know exactly who to check with to find out. I don't do sales. Bet my best bet is hassle a sales person to get the info for you. Or maybe AC/DELCO has some number. I will check at work Mon. and post it if they do.
  • kmchugh

To put it simple about the flat torque curve, as the engine rpm is increased the curve goes up according to the rpm. Most engines in the past had a certain point at which they reached there max torque, like 3500rpm(just a #) then it would either drop or level off for the most part anywhere past that point. It also was a spike. Like 3000rpm would be 50% of max then it would jet up from there until it reached its max at 3500rpm.
    The new gm engine has a gradual steady climb. So when you hit the gas it increase at about the same rate as the rpm.(give or take guys). Which in my mind would be better for towing/hauling. I have seen alot of flack about the max being at such a high rpm compared to others. That is true but the others have a spike in there torque graph. So if you are lower or higher than that rpm your out of the max torque range.

Don't get me wrong this is a new idea in engines. So we will have to see how well it works in application. I have driven the new trucks and they haul a**. Will miss the old 350/454 but on with the new.

Help this helps explain it some. It reall is a simple concept hard to explain in writing. The new silverado catalog has a graph in it I think. If you wish to see it on paper.
  • cdeancdean Posts: 1,110
    kmchugh
    i've seen the torque curves on Chevy brochures and literature i get in the mail. maybe the website has one of the graphs, i haven't checked there.

i can tell you, they're the flattest torque curves you'll see out of any gas motor, flatter even than a diesel torque curve.
  • bdonbdon Posts: 30
    Any thoughts on the difference in towing with the Z83 standard suspension (solid, smooth ride) versus the Z85 upgraded suspension (handling/trailering)? I've test driven both and the standard suspension is definitely a smoother ride in my opinion. But I don't want to give up too much in the way of towing capability.

The ZX3 (manually selectable suspension) is on hold until late Feb. I could wait for that, although I'm not sure if it's worth the wait or the extra cost.
    EdelBrock Performer IAS Shocks Deliver Superior Handling and Maximum Comfort! dramatically reduces body roll without sacrifcing the ride! two shocks in one,
This discussion has been closed.