Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Chevrolet Silverado

Comments

• Options
    zonk1zonk1 Member Posts: 37
    I love my cloth covered bucket seats. Very comfortable and soft. Leather seats on a truck in Texas? Now that's a sticky situation in my book.
  • Options
    jxyoungjxyoung Member Posts: 156
    Davydd

What was the date your truck was built? Do you know if they shipped yours by rail? Mine was built Dec 17 and as far as I know it is still in Canada.
    My dealer called the rail yard in Louisiana and it has not made it in yet???? Getting very hard to stay patient.

I subscribe to the same idea that too much is better than too little. I got the 5.3.
  • Options
    DavyddDavydd Member Posts: 121
    > What was the date your truck was built?

I don't have any details and can't find anything on the sticker that would tell me other than it was assembled in Oshawa. I do know that I was surprised when the dealer called Monday afternoon and said it was there. I was told around Christmas that it was to be built the week of January 11. Maybe it has more to do with the way dealers allocate now. My order allocation may have been placed by the dealer before I ordered and they found the closest match and slotted me in. I think I made it easy in ordering a loaded LT that is identical to those ads and commercials.

Now I just wish it would get warm so I can clean out more room in my garage. :/
  • Options
    cloth, leather, whatever. 15 below zero this morning made only one thing important about my seats--the heat! The LT leather seats are heated and you have two settings of high and low. The seats heat more than the ones I had in my Subaru Outback.
  • Options
    quadrunner500quadrunner500 Member Posts: 2,721
    Well, my approach was to order the plug in block heater.
  • Options
    mwinter1mwinter1 Member Posts: 40
    Well, I told the dealer to add the 4.8 Liter option to my truck (LS reg cab/shortbox). I guess that I'll go with a little extra power than too little. I hope this engine isn't anything like that old dog chevy 305. Did I do the right thing? I just couldn't justify an extra $1,200 to go up to the 5.3L, especially in my style of truck.
  • Options
    RichinKsRichinKs Member Posts: 412
    You won't believe how my wifes eyes lit up when the salesman said the LT had heated seats. There was no doubt after that that we were getting an LT. Meanwhile, I guess she'll have to make do with keeping the truck in the garage where its about 20 degrees warmer than the outside.
  • Options
    apowelapowel Member Posts: 1
    Can anyone give me the gas mileage on the Silverado ext cab, 4x4 for a 4.8 and 5.3 V8 engine?
  • Options
    zonk1zonk1 Member Posts: 37
    My 5.3l with 3.73 rear end gets 14.5 city and
    17 hwy.
  • Options
    markbuckmarkbuck Member Posts: 1,021
    Mwinter - yep, that's why I went with the 4.8 vs the other choices. Yes, the old 305 was sub-optimal.......

apowel - EPA says 16 city for both motors with an extra mpg on highway for the 4.8. I would not make a decision on one motor vs the other based on fuel economy. BTW, both motors have the same cylinder bore, but the 5.3 is 'stroked'. Kinda like the difference between the old 327 and 350.
  • Options
    bobfoxbobfox Member Posts: 14
    I just talked to a salesman at my Chevy dealer to see about an order I placed. He told me that the power seats (both bucket and 40-20-40) are restricted, meaning it could hold up my order.
    Plus he said the ordering system is currently down for 2 weeks (changing the system)
    Anyone else heard about this stuff?
  • Options
    I haerd that the system was/is down , but that it should be up and functional soon.
  • Options
    I think you did the right thing by getting the 4.8L, if you also ordered the manual transmission. With that, it should have just about as much power to the rear wheels and be just as quick as the 5.3L with the auto, but with not quite as much towing capacity. Don't look back at that 4.3L, you won't miss it.
  • Options
    Well, I actually ordered the 4.8/automatic. Just didn't feel like shifting. I had one car that was a stick and my current is automatic. I guess you get used to not shifting. I'll give up a a little performance for comfort.
  • Options
    james007james007 Member Posts: 18
    I drove another 6.0 today and wasn't quite as impressed as the first time I drove one. The dealer said the 5.3's seem have just as much get up and go as the 6.0's, just not as much pulling power. I think the extra weight of the 2500 makes a difference to. Overall I liked the truck. I like the console in the 2500 better than the 1500... not so much stuff to shake loose and rattle. The build date on mine is 2/8/99. Hope they don't keep pushing it forward...
  • Options
    dave40dave40 Member Posts: 582
    Did the 6.0 have the 3.73 rear or the 4.10 ? And what are you saying about the console in the 2500 ? thought it was same as the 1500 except for the tranmission temp gauge .
  • Options
    I test drove a 4.8 automatic LS and felt it had more than enough power. The 4.8 got up to freeway speed on the on ramp with ease. The LT I bought came with the 5.3 as standard and seems to have power to spare in normal driving. I suspect the only way you would notice any difference between the two would be in towing.
  • Options
    tombatomba Member Posts: 8
    I ordered my truck 10/24 and still haven't recieved an order number, allocation, or build date. Talked to the salesman and he just can't say anything. Is this normal? Its a 6.0 Reg cab automatic. Everyone else seems to know their numbers, and Chevy's 800 people won't give me any information without one.

When do the Y2K models come out? Maybe I should just wait until then. Is it any easier to order a GMC? This can be frustrating.
  • Options
    james007james007 Member Posts: 18
    Dave40,
    This one had a 3.73. The dealer was comparing the 6.0 to a 5.3 with a 3.73 and said the 5.3 would run just as good with the same rear end...just not as much torque. The floor console on the bucket seat version is different. It doesn't have the CD player in the console like the 1500's do.
    I think the truck looks pretty sharp. This one was blue with grey on the bottom and the fender flairs were painted the same as the bottom.
  • Options
    Since you say you have ordered a 6.0 engine that must mean its a 2500. I also have a 3/4 ton without an allocation. 2500's are on hold due to some problem. Salesman told me thay made 800 of them and ran into troubles. I have heard rumors of either sheetmetal or frame problem. Hopefully production will restart in February. I too am debating on waiting for a 2000 model. Production should be getting much better for the 1/2 tons.. Rich
  • Options
    I also think the 800 that were made were all xcabs short wide bed. Anybody out there got a regular cab 3/4 ton? Also the sportside has not started production yet to my knowledgein either 1/2 ton or 3/4.
  • Options
    kasi4everkasi4ever Member Posts: 9
    mwinter1:
    I own a 2WD 1500 LS Extended Cab short bed, automatic with 4.8L Vortec engine, 3.42 rear end, 235R7516 Wrangler Tires, cloth bench seats (60/40). I have no plan to tow but do occasional hauling. I don't feel I gave up any performance not getting the 4.3L. On my first long trip before Christmas I got 18 mpg city and 27 highway. With 1600 miles logged in so far and moving around in the snow I'm averaging 13 to 16 city. The engine has performed well for me. The 4.8L engine responds quickly, backs off smoothly; engine definitely has the power to move. Felt no strain going up hills (steep or otherwise). Transmission shifts smoothly. Usually not aware of shift unless a very long hill.

Oh, the truck was built October 1998 in Canada. The only thing I've noticed is after the first rain, I started getting a slight squeal when the brakes were applied. Will be getting that checked if its normal. But brake performance is very good with the full-size disc brakes and ABS.

I'm in Akron, Ohio with over 12 inches of snow (have about 350 lbs weight in the back), and no problems with the 4.8L V8. I'm driving for the road conditions and me and my black 2WD truck are getting around just fine.
  • Options
    stanfordstanford Member Posts: 606
    That's excellent mileage! Glad you enjoy your truck. What kind of speed were you doing to get 27mpg?
  • Options
    Kasi4ever: Thanks for the input. On my LS reg cab/shortbox, I will have an automatic, P265/75 tires and 3:73 rearend. Also, this is the 4WD model. I'm in Buffalo, NY We had over 55" of snow in just the last 2 weeks. Unbelievable. Haven't seen snow like this since the blizzard of '77. Snow like this gives Buffalo a bad rap. Usually, it isn't nearly this bad.
  • Options
    I was lucky and ordered my truck just before they changed over(october)to the new allocation system. The way my dealer explained it to me is that if he does not have an allocation he cannot order a vehicle. He does take the orders from individuals but has to hold them and wait for allocation? If this is correct your trucks are not actually ordered and you will not get an order number until it is actually ordered and preferenced.

The Sportsides are being built, mine finally left Canada Monday and the dealer said it should be here next week????

Also got some bad news on the Firestone Wilderness AT's. A friend of mine has them on a Ford Explorer and had a blowout the other day. The whole sidewall of the tire was gone, the other side wall looked brand new? I went to a Firestone dealer and Talked to the guy and asked him point blank if he has any problems with Firestone tires? Didn't mention the info above. He hesitated and said that he does with the Wilderness AT's. He said that the sidewalls are thin on those tires and he see's blowouts.
    I saw an AT and similar tire next to each other and pressed on the sidewalls and he is right they are easy to push in on the AT! I then told him the story and he said he steers customers to other tires. He said the Wilderness AT is the only Firestone tire he has problems with. He said he keeps AT's because some customers request them?? Guess I will be changing the tires out when it gets here!
  • Options
    I went to the Yokohama site and couldn't find that tire? Could you put the link up here?
  • Options
    wesley1wesley1 Member Posts: 17
    Looking for something to do this weekend? Want to keep the old HP printer busy? Here are 8 press releases on the 1999 Silverado or Sierra. ENJOY!
    http://www.auto.com/topstories/p4.htm
    P.S. Temperature is a high of 64 degrees and visibility is 60 miles here in Albuquerque. Sorry Buffalo, the devil made me say it.
  • Options
    bdonbdon Member Posts: 30
    kendl, you were wondering about the ZX3 suspension about 250 posts ago. (Sorry, I've been way out of pocket since Christmas and have spent the last 2 hours catching up out here.) I ordered my 2wd truck just before Christmas with the ZX3, knowing full well that option was (and still is) on hold. My dealer told me that GM was planning to start building those in late February and that my truck would arrive near the end of March. Given the 3-4 month lead times anyway, I decided to go ahead and order it with that option.

I guess the merits of that are debatable. I drove both the standard smooth ride (Z83) and the stiffer Z85. I definitely preferred the smoother ride of the Z83. But I really wanted the Z85 for towing. So I decided to wait and get "both".

I don't have anything official in the way of a build date. Given the way things have gone for some folks in this topic, I'll honestly be surprised if it's here before April.

Can someone remind me of the GM number to call and confirm a build date? Also, the info I need is the dealer number and my order number, which I assume that I can get from my dealer. Do I need anything else to check on a build date? I wonder if they will even give me a build date since the ZX3 is still on hold?
  • Options
    dave40dave40 Member Posts: 582
    Check out the March issues of
    SPORT TRUCK and TRUCKIN
    Great new pictures of tricked
    out 99 Silverados and Sierras
    and Highlights from the SEMA
    show in Vegas
    Plenty of new after market
    products .And the new 99
    Silverado SS 395 hp 420-torque
    HOT !!!
  • Options
    They are high speed street tires, not all terrain. Would look nice though.
  • Options
    kend1kend1 Member Posts: 10
    Thanks for your input, I haven't driven the Z83 yet but I plan to so that I can compare them. The option seems like a good idea as it should make the truck more versatile. I went to the local GMC dealer to price one out they said because the ZX3 was restricted they could not order a truck with that option. Is your dealer going to hold on to your order until the ZX3 is in production? Is yours Chevy or GMC?

I found a dealer in Wyoming that will sell GMC's for $250 over invoice. Found it from the SUV conference:
    www.bettervaluegmc.com
  • Options
    26andrew126andrew1 Member Posts: 93
    Here is the catalog number for 99 Silverado extra's. Like brush guards, roll bars, tents that snap on to the bed, etc......

Also I heard some complaints about the guard on the top of the tailgate, gmc has another version that DOES NOT flare out. It just covers the top of the gate. So toppers an things will fit right.

The # is CA06079801
    shorter version #CA06069801

These are all gmc extra's.
  • Options
    Some of the Silverado's are supplied with Goodyear Wranglers. I have had them on my last four vehicles without any problems. The first of those four I kept 10 years and had three sets. The last couple seemed to last longer. My 94 full size Blazer had 35,000 when I traded it and the tires were still good. My current 97 Z71 has 38,000 and the tires are still good. So Jim, It could be a long time before you get to install your Mitchelins. Another option maybe to trade your new truck tires immedialty and you might get something for them. Does anyone know which of the tire options come with what brand tires? ........ On tire sizes, for the half ton, 245/70R16 is 29.5 inches diameter, 9.64 inches width; 265/75R16 is 31.6 inches diameter, 10.4 inches width; for the 3/4 ton the 245/75R16 is 30.4 inches diameter, 9.64 inches width. Now another question, do all manufacters follow the size standards exactly? ... Rich
  • Options
    gwvinsongwvinson Member Posts: 27
    Here in California I paid $500 over in voice for my truck. $24099, that is invoice plus destination charge and advertising charge of about 1%. In Dec. I ordered a 1500 ext. cab. LM7 5.3L, M30 auto trans, 3.42 rear end,A95 bucket seats,Z85 firm ride suspension ,Z82 trailering package, G80 locking diff., Aj1 deep tinted glass, PF9 cast aluminum wheels, UPO am/fm w/cd player, QCC P255/70r-16 tires and K47 high capacity air cleaner. The dealers don't want us to know the invoice prices so they can continue to hose us as they have done for so many years. Some how I still don't believe that the "invoice price" is the true price that the dealer pays for a specific vehicle. I'm sure there are a lot of variables that we don't know about.

Gregg
  • Options
    According to the edmund site, invoice price is NOT the true price a dealer pays. The dealer gets a kickback on the invoice price. Look up the article on buying a new vehicle. If my memory serves my right it is about 5%. ..... Rich
  • Options
    Saw 4 extended cab, Sportsides yesterday. Man they look sharp! Two red and 1 white GMC's, also a Dark Copper Chevy. Noticed that one I saw close up had rubber flaps under the fenders to catch the mud. I have noticed that the Flaresides do not. Anyone know if this is standard on the Sportside?
    Maybe because of the design of the Sportside the mud would get way up and be hard to remove without??
  • Options
    bdonbdon Member Posts: 30
    kendl, I went with the Chevy. My understanding is that the vehicle has been ordered and that it will be build as soon as the ZX3 option is released. However, as I said earlier, I have nothing that officially tells me it's been ordered. I'm planning to call Monday and get my order number. Can I assume that if I get an order number that it has, in fact, been ordered? I'm also planning to call GM next week (thanks for the number jxyoung) and see what they tell me. I hope I'm not in for an unpleasant surprise.

On the invoice price, $500 over is plenty. In fact, it sounds like there are some folks here who have done even better than that. I think the dealer kickback is more along the lines of 3%. Generally though, I believe 100% of that goes to the dealer and none comes to the salesman. That could factor in to the price you might get from a salesman. If you know you're going to order and can work with the fleet dealer, you tend to avoid that hassle, at least that's been my experience.

On the tires, I'd like to put some Michelin 31x10.50's on, but I haven't given that too much thought yet. My Dad has some on his '96 Silverado and they look pretty good.
  • Options
    It will probably be awhile before you get an order #. I would guess a couple weeks at the earliest. The best Advice to you is to be patient! Maybe they will speed things up shortly but don't count on it. Saw a GMC with some 30.5 tires on the stock rims and they looked nice. I think they were Goodyears?
  • Options
    kasi4everkasi4ever Member Posts: 9
    stanford: I had driven highway for approximately 225 miles averaging between 55 to 70 mph depending on the speed limit. The weather was clear, cold, and dry.
  • Options
    seapinesseapines Member Posts: 1
    is anyone out there.... I have about 3000 miles on a 1500 ext silverado.... 5.3 with 3.73's Damn do I love this truck or what!
  • Options
    My deal was for $500 over invoice, with no dealer handling or advertising fees. Still seems like a lot, but the Silverado is in high demand. By the way, my experience was that the edmund numbers matched the dealer's own numbers for invoice and MSRP exactly. The holdback currently is 3%.
  • Options
    In general with LT- rated tires vs P- rated tires you will get poorer ride, less treadwear, poorer traction, but more sidewall thickness and stiffness which can relate to less cut and blowout potential. I went with the LT tires for my Silverado.

Anyone hook up the trailer wiring on a manual transmission Silverado? The brochure advertises that the all Silverados come with a trailer towing plug. Since I couldn't order the towing package, I have procured a Reese hitch and trying to get a wiring package set up for when my truck arrives in a month.

BTY, the 4.8L motor uses an AC PF59 filter, which must be new for this year. I was finally able to 'special order' several from Checker at $5 a piece. What are you all doing for oil changes?
  • Options
    jerryb2jerryb2 Member Posts: 14
    Please advise-----I will be buying a Silverado 1500 LS short bed within two months. I seldom do any heavy hauling or towing. Generally I will use the truck for visiting construction jobsites, some state park camping, no offroading--may on ocassion pull a light boat or welding machine or light equipment trailer--nothing over 3500 pounds. Mostly kind of a mobile office.
    1. I am really afraid of having an underpowered vehicle and am wondering if it would be best to go ahead and get the 5.3 instead of the 4.8. I do not want the truck to lug down when empty while going up a normal paved highway hill. I would not mind it lugging on those ocassions when it is loaded or towing that light load mentioned above. So, 5.3 or 4.8.
    2. Also, since I do not mind the truck lugging if loaded, but do not want it underpowered, could I demand a lower rear end than the 3.42 in order to get better gas mileage since 95% of my driving is unloaded and not towing.
    3. Also, how dificult is it to move the drivers seat up to access the back.

It is not important to me who wins the motor trend 0-60 trials, who wins at the track, or who can haul the heaviest load. I want a comfortable, reliable, and long lasting truck. I intend to drive this vehicle for at least 8 years and probably put 200,000 miles on it. Is the Chevy the ticket in my case??
  • Options
    jerryb2jerryb2 Member Posts: 14
    correction--I don't think I would ever tow anything more that 2500 pounds.

and, thanks for any advise anyone could give
  • Options
    stanfordstanford Member Posts: 606
    I'd go for the 5.3l engine with gears as low as 3.42:1. This should prevent downshifts up grades, et cetera, while still providing good mileage. Another option would be to go with the 4.8l and the 3.73:1 gears if you did more city driving than highway. Either one should be fine. The 4.8l with 3.42:1 may be okay -- may not. Upgrading one of those to the next level won't cost that much in gas, though, and should provide a margin of comfort.
  • Options
    Sounds like you would be very happy with a Silverado or a F150 with either the 4.8 or 5.3 in the Chevy or the 4.6 or 5.4 in the Ford. With the substantial overdrive that either of these trucks offer, your actual rear end ratio would be around 2.40 to 2.50 which would make for a relatively slow spinning engine at highway speeds. Both trucks offer disc brakes all the way around, and are both quite comfortable. I think either would last 200,000 miles if well cared for.
    I bought the Chevy because I wanted the reg. cab manual transmission and the chevy was rated to tow more. In your situation, the 4 doors offered with the ford supercab, would have sent me in that direction.
    Fuel economy would probably be slightly better in the Chevy, though......
  • Options
    cdeancdean Member Posts: 1,110
    me and a buddy stopped today and drove an extended cab silverado with the 4.8. Truck was very solid. you can really feel how much stiffer the frame is after driving a C/K model. turning the truck was effortless with a tight radius. brakes are great, truck will stop on a dime if you ask it to. personally, i think the interiors are fine as far as materials and the way everything is screwed together, that just me. I'm 6'6", and fit in the back seat with only minimal leg fold up.

I was very impressed with the engine. The truck was a 4.8 with automatic and 3.73 rear end. window sticker posted 16/21 mpg. at 70 mph it turn exactly 2000 rpms. from a stop, the engine feels about the same as all trucks, but when you put your foot into it--WOW. that thing really winds up fast. that 4.8 would easily outrun my current 350. it seemed to me whatever speed you were doing, slow or fast, if you punched it, the transmission would put you in the 2500-4000 rpm range, and the truck just comes alive, revs up to ~5000 and downshifts to ~2700 and keeps on going. let your foot off the gas, and it drops down to low rpms and effortlessly does 70-80 mph. if anyone just does occaisional moderate towing, this engine and gear would be great. felt like more power than my 350. i can only imagine what the 5.3 would do. truck only had 11 miles on it, and my friend smoked down the tires from a dead stop up to about 40 mph (when traction finally gripped).

to anyone worried about the 4.8 be underpowered---Don't worry. i was impressed. the 5.3 should really get up and go and pull nicely, but for the extra money, and little worse mileage-- most weekend warriors don't need anything more than the 4.8. i really think that motor can tow the trucks limit no problem.

Oh--the tow/haul mode was pretty neat. switched it on at 40 mph and punched it, truck ran up about 300-400 rpms higher in each gear than normal, very nice.

talking to service people and looking at engine pictures and such, i've come to the conclusion. These new engines do rev higher, you really feel the power in the upper rpm range, and the tranny seems to shift you right into the sweet spot everytime. but the engines are designed to handle it. the cast iron blocks are thicker and deeper, the valve train is built heavier, as well other major components. plus these things have been in testing for 3 years. I think longevity on this product is not going to be a problem.
  • Options
    mtebbenmtebben Member Posts: 16
    Does anyone have an opinion on the alarm system that comes standard with the 99 Silverado truck.

Is this the only alarm system a person would need? On my current truck I have a clifford and I'm trying to understand if I will need anything else once I get my new Silverado.

I'm not certain exactly certain what this standard alarm system does for you. The salesperson wasn't very clear about this feature.
  • Options
    I was wondering the same thing! I asked quite a few people and no one seems to know the whole story behind this "alarm system"??
This discussion has been closed.