Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Buick Rendezvous Maintenance and Repair

Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
Have you experienced any problems with your Rendezvous? Please share any solutions!

KarenS
Host
Owner's Clubs

Comments

• fedlawmanfedlawman Member Posts: 3,118
    but, I'll bring it up here.

We've already discussed the slight pause required to unlock the doors when they are set to unlock upon removing the key from the ignition.

I have also noticed that the passenger side mirror doesn't seem to stay exactly where I set it. I noticed this especially when my mirror was set to tilt down when backing up.

Has anyone else noticed the "wandering mirror" phenomenon?
  • john325john325 Member Posts: 237
    (Thursday afternoon) Just had a GM trailer hitch installed on our RDV. Then I tried to insert the end of our new GM bike rack into the trailer hitch receiver. Unfortunately, the receiver hole is about 1 3/8" square, whereas the bike rack end is a 2" square. I suspect that there's probably an adapter that will remedy this problem. If so, I'm curious if I was going use a locking pin in the first place, that I would need 2 locking pins w/ an adapter solution. I'm not sure...

I'm sure glad I didn't wait 'til Saturday's packing, assuming everything would be fine. You'd kind of expect a GM trailer hitch to be compatible w/ a GM Bike rack??? I'll have to contact parts 1st thing in AM; I'm planning on using this for trip to Yosemite w/ 4 bikes. Time is ticking... I'll keep you all posted.
    Brian: It sure does suck. I'm just wasting lots of time trying to get things right for our trip.

Anyway, this is what I've come up with. Although you have a $30,000 car with a trailer hitch (1 1/4") that can tow up to 3,500 pounds, the only bike rack GM sells for it will only carry 3 bikes. Hard to figure ???? And the actual one they sold me fits a 2 inch receiver.

My dealer had said they'd reimburse me for the cost of an adapter (2" to 1 1/4") which runs about $50, I'm leaning away from that option for the following reasons:
    • The adapter alone weighs 25 pounds
    • It somehow puts extra stress/weight on the "tongue"
    • It would cause the bikes to be an additional 6 inches or so behing the car.
    • Possible rattling noise from adapter hook-up.
    Instead, I'm planning on returning the GM bike rack to the dealer and buying a 4-bike rack elsewhere that will fit the 1 1/4" receiver. Hopefully, this post will save those of you considering bike racks lots of hassle.
    Why your bike rack doesn't fit.

GM did a market research study and determined that the riding of bicycles was detrimental to their satelite dish business and SUV sales.

It seems when people are unable to ride their bikes, they tend to watch more TELEVISION, which causes them to gain weight and lose stamina. A vicious cycle (pun intended) begins wherein the poor, overweight, former biker no longer fits on the perch of his Cannondale and therefore seeks a new hobby...HOME THEATER!

A side benefit is that the person, now carrying an average of 30% more body fat needs a new, bigger car to fit inside...hence GM's thriving SUV sales.

So you see John, you never stood a chance.
    I knew the odds were against me. Thanks for sharing the GM Market Study with me. In the words, or acronym of r5, I was ROTFLMAO when I read your explanation. [Thanks to cwj for helping me understand the acronym.]

I ended up buying a Thule bike rack today. It fits 4 bikes and, equally important, if fits the 1 1/4 inch receiver on the RDV hitch. It was slightly more money than the GM bike rack, but the main thing is we've got one we can use for our trip to Yosemite.
    I see a lot of Thule accessories in the Seattle area, mounted on all manner of vehicles (Subaru's are especially popular up here, what with all the tree huggers).

Their website is also very informative...I checked out the roof mounted luggage carriers there.
  • dws41dws41 Member Posts: 12
    New Problem: after a 35 minute ride (in high 90 degree temp) and shutting the engine off for 10 minutes; upon restarting the Rendezvous, the "CHECK BATTERY" icon remained lighted on the instrument panel. I drove it into the dealership. The technician started the engine and "voila", the "CHECK BATTERY" icon did what it was supposed to do, shut off! The car remains in the shop pending further "testing".
    Has anyone else had this unusual experience???
  • golddfgolddf Member Posts: 5
    I bought the car on a Saturday, and the following Wednesday I had to have the car towed to the dealership. With less than 300 miles on it, the car has major engine, steering and brake problems. The service department can't seem to fix the problem. They are waiting on a solution from GM...who knows how long that will be. So far no one at GM, the dealership or OnStar has been helpful. No loaner cars were available, so I'm fending for myself. This entire new car experience has been a disaster!
    Your's is the 1st major problem we've heard about at this forum. I'm sure besides being frustrated, your're livid w/ GM and your local dealer (Malouf Motors - New Jersey). You'd think your local dealer would try to accomodate you in this troubling time. Hopefully Malouf somehow suffers from their decision to not take care of you (loaner car, etc.).

I'm no mechanic, that's for sure, but I would guess that the problem must be emanating from the rdv's computer. There's no other way to explain 3 systems being affected at the same time (braking, steering, and engine).

I'm confident there will be a fix, and I hope a quick one for your sake. Once corrected, I think you'll be as happy as most of the folks you've heard positing to the rdv forum. Hang in there & keep us posted of your progress.
    As I was driving on the freeway yesterday, the hood of my baby was struck by a stone that flew off a truck two lanes over. There is no ding but it chipped the paint (three ball-point pen tip sized chips that go to the metal).

Although I would prefer that it hadn't happened, it bothers me much less than I thought it would. Maybe it's a relief now that I don't have to worry about my RDV staying "perfect".

I bought some touch up paint from the dealer today and will attempt to repair the chips this weekend.

Any advice on the best way to do this?
    We sure are having a time w/ our RDV's aren't we. We both got wounds on our windshields, & now this! I feel real bad for you. I know how careful you are with your cars. I'm the same way.

I don't have a clue how to go about fixing those small chips. - I'd probably try to work out some deal with my body shop guy & have them spray & clearcoat it.

I bet a better place for suggestions would be over on autopia. Let us know how it works out.
    doing the body shop thing, but I just don't want to go whole hog. No body shop can get a PERFECT factory finish.

I'm leaning towards filling the chips with touch-up paint myself...very carefully, just a tiny amount at a time. At least it would retain the factory finish on the rest of the hood and prevent rust from developing in the chips.

Good idea...I think I'll post my problem on autopia and see what advice I get.
  • 90mercsable90mercsable Member Posts: 48
    1)Anyone with the Driver Information Center find the "Tire Pressure Monitor" function? All of the functions described in the owner's manual appear on the display in my RDV except this. No GM info says that this was a "late availability".

2)Theft-Deterrent Alarm?
    Does anyone know what it would take to set the alarm off,when armed? I have tried all sorts of shaking, door pulling etc. to no avail. Or is a violent entry required? (I just want to see if it works-yes the light blinks, but I'd like to hear it for once) All of my neighbors alarms go off at random, I'd like to be like them :)).
    My understanding is that GM decided not to include the Tire Pressure Monitor for some reason; I'm not sure if it was reliableness or what?

I don't know what'll cause alarm to go off; it seems my kids made it go off once or twice, & I'm sure we used the key fob to stop it. I just can't remember what they did to make it go off. If you figure it out, let us know.
    Park your car and lock it with the key fob, but leave a window rolled down. Now wait for the delay.

Reach inside and manually unlock and open the door.

This simulates someone smashing the window to get in the vehicle.
    Thanks, John325. That's interesting, too bad that it wasn't included. The tire pressure monitor might have been useful. I'll call dealer on Monday. I read an article today that said some of the Explorer problems would have been prevented with a feature such as that. It would only cost $66 per car.

Thanks, fedlawman.
    I'll try the alarm test tomorrow.
  • mfarmer2mfarmer2 Member Posts: 67
    The only one minor problem we're experiencing is with the garage remote HomeLink transmitter. It seems to be very finicky. We have to get very close to the garage door before it activates. Sometimes we have to push the button more than once, or even back the vehicle up a few feet, before it works.

Has anyone else experienced this?

We are aware that new FCC regulations require weaker transmitters to be used, than previously used before, but we think this one is just a little too weak. Also, we actually had a similar problem on the homelink system of our other vehicle (different make: nissan), and our dealer had an easy fix for this.

So at this point we're not too concerned. Of course Nissan is usually pretty good about fixing things. Hopefully Buick will have a solution for us. We're first time Buick owners, so we're not sure what to expect. Does anyone have feedback on Buick service? I'll keep you posted on what happens. So far, everything else seems to be top notch! :-)

Mary
    mfarmer2:

No problem with my Homelink. I had to program the garage door opener with rolling code feature, using the Smart/Learn button. All info was in RDV manual. Funny, not a word about it in LiftMaster opener instructions.

Try checking your garage door motor unit for the little antenna wire. If it's not fully extended out of the unit,it won't receive well from any remote. Perhaps part of it is curled up inside.

Re: Buick Service Dept's...there are great ones, and some duds in all makes. I hope yours is a great one!

Good luck and enjoy your RDV.
    Thanks 90mercsable- Your suggestion helped a lot! After repositioning the antenna on the garage door motor to face the driveway more directly, I noticed an immediate improvement. In addition, we cleared the HomeLink and reprogrammed everything using a brand new battery in the original garage remote. Something we should have done in the first place. Now the homelink opens the garage door from the street. Thanks again! :-)

Mary
    Mary (mfarmer2),
    Glad to be of some help with the Homelink.

90merc
  • bb1129bb1129 Member Posts: 7
    Has anyone had any problems with cracks on the rear light lens, or any lens for that matter? I found a crack originating from an existing dimple that is part of the lens construction. The dealer says it is not covered by warranty even tho it appears to be a manufacturing defect. Other than the front windows sounding like they are scraping something (not evidence of streaks, scratches, etc. tho), we are very happy with the RDV after 3000+ miles.
  • mmeehanmmeehan Member Posts: 66
    My RDV has 3700 miles on it and the other day while I was cruising along at (oops!) 75 MPH the car "bucked" or "stumbled" for a second, this happened two or 3 times in about 5 minutes. The A/C was on in the vehicle. On another day I was sitting at a red light and when the light turned green I pressed the accelerator and the car didn't move for a second or two then when it did it "lurched" forward. Again, the A/C was on. Has anyone ever experienced this with any vehicle they've owned? I'm not a mechanic by any means but maybe it has to do with the fuel injectors or something with the A/C compressor? HELP! I dod have a trip to the dealership planned but thought maybe someone else has had this happen to them and I could give the dealership some direction.
    mm: Sorry to hear you're having this problem. We have about 4,500 miles on ours, and so far (knock on wood), no problems whatsovever. Now, you also have the issue with the traction control light, which I believe you said they still have not been able to fix yet. It hardly seems fair that you have to endure 2 challenges.

It almost sounds like your new challenge might relate to a spark plug or wire, but that shouldn't happen w/ a brand new car. I just saw cwj's post over on the Regular RDV Forum saying perhaps it's transmission related - that may be a more plausible explanation. I'm sure your service dept. will be able to diagnose & fix it readily - - Good luck & keep us posted.
    You're right that I still have the traction control problem, although last Tuesday it started working fine and now works most of the time but occasionally goes on the fritz again. My dealer called to say that the second part they've ordered has finally come in (the Power Control Module they ordered didn't do the trick) and I've already mentioned the engine problem as well to them. They've got the loaner car waiting for me!!!
    Hi mmeehan- Sorry to hear about your problem. I hope they come up with a solution very soon. I guess you've got to figure this being a first year model, there are bound to be some problems that may take a little longer than usual to be analyzed/fixed, especially since they're dealing with this for the first time around. Not meaning to to rub it in, but just to say that I hope you're able to cope with all of this.

And in the meantime, we're here to offer any support. :-) Also, I'm curious, since you live in central Florida, are you dealing with Orange Buick service center? I was thinking they seem to be one of the largest service facilities around, and they might be one of the better places to deal with problems. However, I am new to Buick, so you or someone in this area, may have a better dealer service in this area to recommend. Thanks.

To Fedlawman- I remember reading your previous post about your side view mirror, and was wondering if you ever resolved this issue? Also, I wanted you to know that at the NHTSA website, there is a TSB (technical service bulletin) on the Rendezvous regarding a "electrically inopertative or loose outside rear view mirror...." I'm not sure this is related, but here's a direct link to the Nhtsa, TSB data base if you want to check into this further. Good luck.

To everyone- If you're experiencing a problem, I've found it's not a bad idea to check with the NHTSA database Problems & Issues to see if you can find a similar problem in their database. In addition, you can also report a safety problem with this application to help keep them and other's informed. Keep in mind that just about any problem with a vehicle, especially related to the powertrain, electrical system, and/or tires, is considered a safety issue.

Mary
    I live in South Florida but hopefully they have a competent mechanic at my dealership and my problems will soon be history. It is rather aggravating. Maybe they shouldn't have put my RDV together so quickly (4 weeks from when we ordered it until it was delivered:) I still love it though.
    It's fixed and works fine! Thanks for asking.
    Does anyone notice a slight creak in the drivers door when driving over slightly rough roads or with forward/rearward weight transfer (accelerating and breaking)?

It almost seems as though the size and heft of the door is causing it to shift slightly in it's hinges as the vehicle moves.
  • islandpete1islandpete1 Member Posts: 40
    I have made mention before that my wife has had chimes going off when first starting and backing out of the garage or parking spots. This has not happened to me whenever I would drive it. This morning she called me at work and had me on the cell phone to let me hear it. She had just backed out and it was just chiming away like a seat belt warning or leaving the key in the ignition. It was a fast not a slow chime. This is the third time it has happened since May. If she does not shut off the engine and restart it , the chiming just continues. Was wondering if anyone else has a similar problem or any idea what is causing it?fedlawman , do not have the creaking noise you speak of. Maybe the door hinge lock plate needs to be adjusted.Barbara, glad your tranny problem was solved. Years ago, I had a porous case on my old Regal and used an epoxy sealer on it. It lasted 5 years until I got rid of it. Glad they gave you a new transmission and not just a sealing. Only right thing to do :-)
    Hopefully now my RDV is fixed. My dealersip replaced the PCM (Power Control Module...the computer of the car)and the EBCTM (don't know what that is) and apparently this has solved my Service Traction Control issue. Buick also feels that the malfunction of this part is also to blame for the problems I was having with my transmission, because many of the functions of the tranny are handled by these two parts. I haven't really driven the RDV for any great length of time since they repaired it so I'll have to wait to see if the transmission problem is indeed corrected. I'll keep everyone posted.

Fedlawman- I had a creaking in the driver's door when I first got the car, when I'd come to a stop, when the weight shifted etc. I took some WD40 to the door hinges and haven't had a problem since. Let me know if this works for you.
    I'll try it.
  • golddfgolddf Member Posts: 5
    I finally have my Rendezvous back! It took about a month to get it fixed. My original message (#10) described the problems I was having with the engine. It turns out there was a defect with the valve springs in the engine. All 12 had to be replaced. Apparently, the part was on backorder, which is the primary reason it took so long to get repaired. Since I've had the car back, I've had to take it back to the service department twice for emissions problems. They said to expect that - after all, they basically had to rebuild the engine. I wanted them to replace the engine, but they wouldn't do that. I really wanted them to buy back the car, but that didn't work out either. Glad to hear everyone else has had minor problems compared to mine. I just keep hoping that I can go a day without the 'service engine soon' light going on.
    I would tell them I expect it to be right - Period! What do they mean you should expect more problems (emissions) since they've rebuilt the top part of the engine? You bought a new car, and it should now look & run like a new car. They ought to be able to get your emissions functioning perfectly. If anything, I'd think they'd make a special effort to see that you don't have to return to the service dept. on the same issue. - I don't imagine the lemon law covered you on being without the car for about a month...??? I sure would have looked into it, and perhaps you did. I hope your problems are behind you and that you can enjoy the car as you had originally expected. Please keep us posted.
    I believe I've seen these mentioned in a couple other posts (Barbara ?) in the SUV Rendezvous discussion, but I haven't seen a solution yet. So has anyone here figured out the solution to the mirror tilt function possibly "not" working. This is the feature that's suppose to make the passenger side mirror tilt towards the curb when the RDV is put into reverse.

1. We have the luxury upgrade on our CX, and we've set then tilt function so it's "on" in our DIC, but we don't see any movement when putting it in reverse. Is the movement so subtle, we would not notice it, or do we need to take this up with the service department?

2. Also, does the CX S1D luxury package include a tire pressure monitor? We've been unable to locate one in our DIC.

If anyone can offer feedback on either of these issues, thanks. :-)

To golddf- I'm sorry to hear about your situation; and also, from what I've read, it sounds like you need to find a new dealer service. I would have never put up with all you've been through. Sometimes a bad dealer service (no make excluded) can magnify the problem more. In my opinion, that shouldn't be a reflection so much on GM, but more on that particular dealer's service. You may want to call around and get another opinion from another Buick service shop or two. Also, if you don't like what the service advisor it telling you, you should try speaking directly with his boss: the service director. You'll often get better results that way. Hope everything is uphill from here on out. :-)

Mary
    Mary: GM decided to exclude the tire pressure sensor. They can apparently choose to do so, which as I said, they have done.

It sounds like you need to have the service dept. fix your passenger side mirror if it is not making a noticeable tilt towards the sidewalk. You should be able to see the right rear tire near the curb when you put your RDV in reverse. When you put it back in drive, the mirror should resume to it's original position. I know fedlawman, and I believe some others, have had challenges w/ the mirror returning to its original position after angling towards the curb. Good luck.
    island:
    I had a similar fast chiming as your wife did. My parking brake was on slightly, not totally released. Also, does your driveway go upwards on the way to the street. Mine is a steep incline, and I get the chimes, as it thinks the incline is an object.
    Do you find that the press-to-release AND apply parking brake is annoying? ESPECIALLY SO, when parking on a downhill grade-giving it a second push(as in a typical brake, to be sure it's tight)RELEASES it-lurching you forward. BAD IDEA!

mfarmer:
    I too was surprised to find that the tire pressure monitor was not included. The catalog listed it, and the dealer said NOTHING about it. Other items indicated late availability, but not the TPM. I realize that they can build what they want, but would have preferred advance notice.
    I had the "memory module" replaced and it solved the problem. Someone recently mentioned a TSB on this, I think.
  • rem933rem933 Member Posts: 10
    My dealer replaced both mirrors, and yes the service advisor referred to a TSB. I found a link at http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/tsb/servicemmy1.cfm. It applies VINS prior 2S508260
  • gildlbgildlb Member Posts: 6
    In a previous post, you said: "No loaner cars were available, so I'm fending for myself" and "So far no one at GM, the dealership or OnStar has been helpful."

Fyi, the Buick 36 month warranty provides for alternate free transportation, in the event that your vehicle is undrivable, and has to be kept overnight. If your dealer doesn't have a loaner on hand, he's suppose to arrange for a rental car for you at no cost. He of course get's reimbursed by GM for this cost.

Secondly, if you choose to borrow a friend's car instead, you are suppose to be given a daily cash allowance to cover gas and other costs. If you were denied this, you are entitled to a reimbursement of some sort. It's difficult to believe a dealer would be so inept to not inform you of with this basic warranty service. If that's the case, you should be filing a complaint with GM customer service.
    None of the scenarios you mention are present. Backing out of our garage is going downhill and we never use the parking brake. Thanks for the tip anyway in case we do use it. Just got back from putting another 350 miles on the RDV and I have not had any problems, chiming included. If she had not called me that day to let me hear them, I would have thought she was hearing things :-)BTW just checked the DIC and we are gettin 19.5 MPG. Total mileage so far 1750.
    A couple messages back, I posted that my "tilt mirror" function (aka: reverse park assist) on my CX Rendezvous did not seem to be working. Even though this feature appeared to be "on" in the DIC, when I put the vehicle into reverse, there was no movement in the passenger side mirror. I should also mention that the default setting already had the tilt function in the "on" position, so I assumed it should automatically work.

Well I finally figured out a way to make it work! And perhaps this will be helpful for others that have a similar situation: what I did was enter the DIC and set the tilt mirror function to "off". (As I mentioned above, it was originally in the on position.) I then exited the DIC, and turned the vehicle off, then started it up again. I then re-entered the DIC, and set the tilt mirror to "on". And that seemed to do the job.

There is now movement (tilting down) in the passenger side mirror when I put it into reverse. Also, it goes back into the original position when I take the vehicle out of reverse. I also had to repeat these same steps for both driver's (1 and 2) to get the mirror tilt function work with both drivers.

I'm not sure why this worked, but I figured that since this function was already "on" in the default setting, and it was not functioning, that perhaps simply turning it off/on again might get it to work. Kind of like rebooting your computer to get a new program to work for the first time. I'm pretty sure this will only need to be done one time if your tilt mirror does not initially work.

Fast Chimes: I read in the owner's manual that those chimes will also go on if the turn signal is left in the on position for more than 3/4 miles. My husband and I actually heard them one time, when he veered left, but not sharp enough to release the turn signal. After 3/4 mile, those fast chimes came on. They stopped as soon as he released the turn signal. There may be other areas where they'll also go on, but I thought I would mention this one. Perhaps we should rename this discussion, "how to set up your DIC", and/or "how to read the owners manual." :-)

To rem933- Yes, I also saw that tsb at the nhtsa website, but I don't think that applies to my RDV, or the tilt mirror situation I just decribed. My vin comes after, not before the vin they mentioned. Thanks anyway; Im sure that will be very helpful for others.

Mary
    I don't know if this has already been suggested but, could it be that she is backing up faster than 3 MPH?

Off the top of my head, I seem to remember someone mentioning that the reverse sense system gives an audible warning iff you are backing up too fast for the system to function.

I'll check the owner's manual later...when my kids aren't climbing all over me and the keyboard!
    I questioned my wife again on how exactly this "Fast Chiming" occurred. She said she would put the key in the ignition and it would begin chiming and continue as she was backing out of the garage and would not shut off until she shut the engine off and restarted it. It happened three times to her, once in foward drive coming back from shopping.She had to stop, shut the engine and restart it and all was OK.
  • cwjacobsencwjacobsen Member Posts: 293
    There may just plain be some glitch in the software or circuit that turns off the chime so that under certain circumstance the chime gets stuck to "on." When I back Gamera out of the garage I use the rear parking assist to take him back to an obstacle before going forward again. I usually stop after the second yellow light, but sometimes I get close enough for the red light and chimes to go on. Most of the time, it stops chiming as soon as I move forward out of range, but three times it has continued to chime even after moving forward and I would then have to turn off and restart Gamera to get it to quit. Much like Island's wife. Not the exact same circumstance, but the same symptom and fix.

Brian F. - When you back up too fast, the red light (but not the yellows) on the rear parking assist panel blinks but does not chime (at least on Gemera). I guess they assume that you're being a good responsible driver and are looking over your shoulder at all times when backing up. They don't know me too well.

CWJ
    "When I back Gamera out of the garage I use the rear parking assist to take him back to an obstacle before going forward again."

How do you know Gamera isn't a "she"?
    Like so many other members of the animal and mechanical kingdoms, the sex of a Rendezvous can be told by its markings. For example, Sedona Bronze Rendezvouses are universally male, and Driftwood Rendezvouses are female. Gamera's whining at a Driftwood he saw yesterday merely confirmed this.

Now I realize sexual dymorphism is not always the rule in the mechanical kingdom and like a nest of ants or hive of bees, nearly all ships for example are female (except for the drones).

CWJ
    Congrats cw; I believe you are the 1st to pluarlize RDV. Is it correct? I assume so. "Rendezvouses"???

Perhaps Gamera should be Gamero given he's not a she??? Just a thought...
  • jp614jp614 Member Posts: 34
    As described by mfarmer2, I had the same problem with my tilt-mirror. I tried the off-on sequence and the mirror now tilts!

Thanks for the solution
    Don't be a stranger and welcome to Rendezvous owning. Don't forget to stop by the 'meet the owners" topic and tell a bit about yourself and/or your ride.

CWJ