Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Buick Rendezvous Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• 442455442455 Posts: 64
    Research the C-305 connection which causes problems such as yours. I believe it is located in the area under the driver's seat and beneath the carpet. Many problems have been caused by the wires in that connector not making good contact, corrosion, or the wires having pulled out of the connector.

The fuel pump circuit gets routed through this connection. I would also check your fuel pressure regulator to make sure that is not faulty.
    The following was copied from a Google search

GM

Starting problems, various electrical gremlins. Drivers of some 200006 GM minivans (full list below) may come into your shop complaining of some really strange symptoms. Among the comments you might get is that the engine won't start, starts with difficulty or stalls. The starting troubles may be accompanied by an inoperative or out-of-whack fuel gauge. In addition, the MIL and the ABS and/or TCS warning lights may be illuminated. The TCS system may have a mind of its own, activating in dry conditions. Finally, Service Traction System and/or All-Wheel Drive Disable messages may be displayed on the dash. To put the icing on the cake, all these symptoms can come and go, leaving behind multiple DTCs in the process.

Veteran techs know that unrelated electrical gremlins like these usually have their origin in either one of two maladies: a bad ground or an intermittent connector. In this case, it's the latter-more specifically, connector C305. You can find this connector on the floor, just to the rear of the driver's seat. And what you'll probably see is that it's either corroded or has spread female terminals.

How you approach the repair depends on what you find. If the connector is corroded, water is getting into the vehicle from somewhere. Find and fix the leak first, then replace the connector. If there's no evidence of corrosion, GM warns not to try to repair the spread female terminals. Instead, replace them with parts from a terminal repair kit.

The following vehicles are susceptible to the starting and electrical problems described:

2000-04 Olds Silhouettes

2000-05 Chevy Ventures and Pontiac Montanas

2001-05 Pontiac Azteks

2002-06 Buick Rendezvous

2005-06 Buick Terrazas, Chevy Uplanders and Pontlac Montana SV6s
  • I have a 2006 buick Rendezvous. The gas guage is very inacurate especially from 1/2 tank to empty. I have been to the dealer 5 times, 3 sending units, a cluster and a reprogram. Now they want to tell me this is normal. If so why did they throw all these parts at it. Anyone had this problem and get it fixed? :mad:
  • crudcrud Posts: 5
    I have a 2004....same problem. I noticed it when the vehicle was days old. TWICE, the dealer drained my tank and adjusted the mechanism that measures fuel levels. It was never fixed to my satisfaction. I gave up on it. The gauge shows low fuel when the vehicle is facing downhill, and just the opposite when facing up hill. I have owned many cars in my short life, and I have never seen this issue before. I guess have gotten used to it....I usually get 400 miles on one tank....that is my "accurate" gauge.
  • ealfordealford Posts: 15
    I have a 2005 RDV with the same problem and I have already had them replace the sensor and the instrument cluster which did no good. There is a tech. bulletin from GM on the 05',06 RDV's which states basically that there could be problems with the temp gauge and or the fuel gauge with erratic readings and there is no fix. It even says that the service people shouldn't replace the instrument cluster because that won't fix it. Buick says they are working on it but this has been a problem from 02' to 07' and unless more people complain and file suit, GM won't do anything about it. Look what it took for them to do something about the gaskets on the 2002's. Anyone who's car is still under warranty should seek justice through their state Lemon Laws. Because I bought my 05' used, even though it was still under warranty my state Lemon Law is unless. I would sure like to get a class action suit going
    I have a 2005 RDV and the only connector even close to this location isn't inside the vehicle but under it and the connector is water proof. I have exhaustedly searched for it inside with no luck. As I said there is one at that location under the car.
  • chuckie2chuckie2 Posts: 16
    I have a 2004 and whenever I park on a hill, the gauge will read inaccuately...of course parked on a level surface the gauge reads fine....try parking your vehicle on a level surface...I think you're just looking for a problem when there is none. If the gauge does not right it self when level then you may have a problem....I have read many posts here and 80% are people who, A: don't take care of their vehicles, B: think the only thing you have to do is put gas in it and go....anything to bash American cars....no wonder our economy is in the "tank" (pun intended)
    You obviously don't have a clue about what we are talking about in reference to the fuel gauge on the Buick RDV. I for one do all of my own maintenance on all of my vehicles including my 02' Dodge Ram Diesel and my 95' Harley. Did you not read my post about GM acknowledging the fact that there is a problem with the fuel gauge and they can't fix it? Get a grip Chuckie!!
  • Is your RDV an AWD? I have this problem with my 2002 AWD, but I know what it is with my car. If you have an AWD it could likely be the rear axle. It's a German part that needs to be flushed and lubed about every 30k. It costs about 250.00 to do it and if you put it off apparently the thing will break at a cost of 3k to replace it. The kind of noise it will make is a whinning noise (like wawawawa) every time you make a wide turn left or right at slow speeds. My problem that I have with my RDV is the A/C isn't working, it just blows air. Also my window control on my driver side doesn't work, my rear view mirror leaked and now is foggy permanently, I forever have my check engine light on (emission issues) and some of my lights on my dash are out, such as my odometer. I have no idea what else could be wrong with my car and frankly I don't want to know because I don't have the money to pay for it anyhow. :sick:
    The C-305 connector does transistion from the outside of the vehicle to the inside behind/under the drivers seat. The problems others have had is corrosion inside the connectors (even though it is "waterproof") or pulled wires which are not making a good connection. One owner has taken numerous pictures of how he repaired the connections, the damage he found when he first took it apart, etc.

If you live in an area of the country where you drive in snow and the resulting salt useage, you are more prone to have problems with this connector, or depending on the way it was built, problems with the pulled wires.
  • If the ONLY thing I had put into this car was gas, I'd have 5,000 dollars in my pocket today.
  • Well, that noise is NOT right. I had this problem on my 2003 CXL and just had it repaired today and the sound is GONE! It is from the traction control in the rear. It must be flushed out 2 or three times by them. They flush it then they drive the car for 5 minutes in a left hand circle then 5 minutes in a right hand circle. Flush and do it again. This whole process is about $250...but if you don't do it, it will get worse and worse and when it fails its about $2500 to replace. The dealer should have a service bulliten on this (my dealer actually showed me the bulletin). My dealer at first said it was my power steering pump and they replaced that...to no avail. So then they looked it up and found the bulletin. Luckily they didn't charge me for it as I had already paid for a unneeded power steering pump so it was a wash for me.
  • woopswoops Posts: 2
    I just purchased a used 2002 Rendezvous( I swear I did not know they are lemons) and I want to clean the cooling system and install new coolant,but I need to know where the bleeders are located to purge the air out of the system. :sick: THANKS
    As far as I know you only have to drain the radiator, flush, (with engine running and up to temperature) and refill with some antifreeze other than the bad stuff that GM uses. Don't worry about air in the system it will purge itself.
  • ray80ray80 Posts: 1,233
    I believe there is 2 bleed screws for the coolant system. I just don't know where they are :confuse:
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,404
    Draining and Filling Cooling System

Draining Procedure

Important: Do NOT add any engine coolant supplement sealant pellets to the cooling system. Drain and refill the engine cooling system every 5 years or 240 000 km, (150,000 ml) , whichever occurs first.

1. Park the vehicle on a level surface.
    2. Remove and clean the coolant recovery reservoir. Caution: To avoid being burned, do not remove the radiator cap or surge tank cap while the engine is hot. The cooling system will release scalding fluid and steam under pressure if radiator cap or surge tank cap its removed while the engine and radiator are still hot.

3. Remove the radiator cap when the engine is cool:

3.1. Slowly rotate the cap counterclockwise to the detention tab. Do not press down while rotating pressure cap.
    3.2. Wait until any residual pressure, indicated by a hissing sound, is relieved.
    3.3. After all hissing stops, press down on the radiator cap and rotate the cap counterclockwise in order to remove the cap.

Important: Recover and store used coolant in a used coolant holding tank and submit the used coolant for recycling on a regular basis. Do NOT pour used coolant down the drain. Ethylene glycol antifreeze is very toxic. Disposing of ethylene glycol into the sewer system or ground water is both illegal and ecologically unsound.

4. Place a drain pan under the radiator drain cock in order to collect all of the used coolant.

5. Open the radiator drain cock. If only partial cooling system draining is required, drain enough coolant to perform the procedure.

6. Open the air bleed valve on the thermostat housing 2 full turns.

7. Open the air bleed valve above coolant pump 2 full turns.
    8. Place a drain pan under the engine block drains in order to collect the used coolant. Important: Allow the coolant to drain completely.

9. Remove both of the engine block drains.

o The front left engine block drain is located between the starter motor and the engine oil filter.
    o The rear right engine block drain is located near the crankshaft position sensor.

Filling Procedure

1. Reinstall the engine block drains.

2. Close the radiator drain cock.
    3. Install the coolant recovery reservoir. Notice: When adding coolant, it is important that you use GM Goodwrench DEX-COOL(R) or HAVOLINE(R) DEX-COOL(R) coolant. If Coolant other than DEX-COOL(R) or HAVOLINE(R) DEX-COOL(R) is added to the system the engine coolant will require change sooner; at 50 000 km (30,000 mi) or 24 months.
    4. Slowly add a 50/50 mixture of GM Goodwrench DEX-COOL(R) or HAVOLINE(R) DEX-COOL(R) and clean, drinkable water to the radiator until the coolant level is at the base of the radiator fill neck.
    5. Wait for 2 minutes and reinspect the level of the coolant in the radiator. If necessary, add coolant to the radiator until the coolant level is at the base of the radiator fill neck.

6. Install the radiator cap.

7. Ensure that the radiator cap arrow points toward the radiator overflow tube.

8. Close the air bleed valve above the coolant pump.Important: The air bleed valves are brass. Do NOT over-tighten the air bleed valves.

9. Close the air bleed valve on the thermostat housing.
    10. Fill the coolant reservoir with a 50/50 mixture of GM Goodwrench DEX-COOL(R) or HAVOLINE(R) DEX-COOL(R) and clean, drinkable water. Important: If the coolant temperature indicator turns ON, turn the engine OFF immediately and allow the engine to cool. Do NOT remove the radiator cap.
    11. Start the engine and allow the engine cooling fan to cycle on and off 3 times.
    12. Turn off the ignition. Caution: To avoid being, burned, do not remove the radiator cap or surge tank cap while the engine is hot. The cooling system will release scalding fluid and steam under pressure if radiator cap or surge tank cap is removed while the engine and radiator are still hot.
    13. Allow the engine to Cool.
    14. Ensure that the engine coolant concentration is sufficient.

Mr. Shiftright
    VISITING HOST

• my rear bumper sensors have stopped working, any ideas how to fix them, is there a fuse or something easy I could do? thanks
  • I have a 2005 CXL that has had 3 new power steering pumps put in it and it continues to make the same noise each time they put a new one in. They keep insisting it is the power steering pump but have not been able to fix the problem. So far they are saying the pumps are defective. What is the bulletin you referred to on your car?
  • I can't believe Buick will put their name behind a car that is such a piece a crap and they are not willing to fix the problems that are obviously an issue with the make and year of the car. I have had to disable the AWD or it would have cost more then $3200, the wheel bearings have had to be replaced, AC compressor, AC condenser, gasket repairs, and now I am trying to figure out why all of a sudden I have to jump my car every time I try to start it. The second the car is turned off everything goes dead. EVERYTHING. Once it is started it seems to be fine but I noticed something strange and it only happens every now and then but when I push the window buttons up every once in a while the battery light comes on and everything flashes and now my gas gauge does not work. (I hate my car) If anyone has had any similar experiences I would love to know what you had to do to fix it.
  • OK here it is:
    06-04-114-001A MAY 06 Drivetrain - Moan/Groan Noise From Rear Differential

Now, here is a site that lists all the bulletins (don't panic when you see it!):

http://www.alldatadiy.com/TSB/82/038201gn.html

This is a list of the Buick Rendezvous bullitens. To actually see them, you have to pay a fee (which I have not done), but usually just seeing the title gives you an idea of whether or not Buick has seen your particular problem before. It amazes me that Buick dealer/service doesn't seem to have the initiative to look this stuff up themselves. I got an unneeded fuel pump too!