Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Buick Rendezvous Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• No. It had a tune up, oil change, new tires, new transmission fliter, and the transmission fluid changed.
  • Update: I still have my '04 RDV, it currently has 191,126 miles on it...since my last post in '07, I have replaced my left wheel bearing (replaced myself and saved 350 bucks) and changed my transmission fluid at 125K...other than routine (scheduled) maintenance I have had no major issues...minor things like power window button wore out...replaced it for 20 bucks, replaced the steering wheel control lights and shocks. I have yet to replace my spark plugs and I still get 25mpg on the highway. I recently purchased a 2012 Enclave CXL and I love it!!! Has every option I could want (Dual moonroofs, running boards, power seats both sides, in dash nav system, etc.) Sweet ride, I would surely recommend it to anyone. And no, I do NOT work for GM/Buick, although I have been buying Buicks for 35 years and swear by them
  • Why your gas gauge dont work ' Its not your wires not your gauge , I have fix 5 Buick Rendezvous with gas gauge problems , this will take about 2 hr to fix , you will need a person to only help take the tank down and back up , Your problem is your sending unit , you dont need a new unit . i have pictures to help out more , this is how to fix it .. take out your tank remove the pump . Lay your pump on something clean , on the side on the pump is the sending unit there is a safety clip on the top take it out , sending unit has one also and slide down sending unit , there are 2 black wires on the board thake that board out of the plastic , clean the board . were the float arm hook to there are 2 prons push them down to make better connecting you are done
  • By now you probably have sold that RDV but I have a 2005 RDV that was still under warranty and had the same fuel gauge problems. The dealer replaced the tank sensor, and the dash cluster and still no fix. After many return visits they finally showed me a tech. letter that was put out for the 04',05, and 06's that had the problem and not to replace the instrument cluster which the dealer had already done. The tech. note said that engineering was working on the problem. I finally took them to court and got a judgement against GM where they had 30 days to either fix the problem or give me a new car. A week later the dealer called and said they had the fix which was a new program for the instrument cluster. That seemed to fix the majority of the problem although I still don't trust the gauge.
  • kerryt1kerryt1 Posts: 1
    I've had this car just three weeks and twice it hasn't started. My son, a mechanic, came over and tapped on the ignition module and it started. Today again it wouldn't start. The dash lights would momentarily light up then go black. No ignition sound at all. In fact, after I got out I stood bythe car *with keys in hand* and heard a constant buzz...click...buzz...click. WTH is that? My husband put it on a charger for a few hours and it started. Should I replace the ignition module? What was that buzzing and clicking? Oh, I might add that both times I have gone out to find the car dead the keys were in the ignition (off position). My son says that has nothing to do with th problem. Just throwing that in there.
  • ray80ray80 Posts: 1,186
    I might be thinking about power problem, Battery,cable/connection/ charging issue. Those are usual suspects, but it could be the module
  • 1wildpete1wildpete Posts: 25
    I had the same problem - first thing to do is replace the battery. I have replaced my battery a number of times. For some reason these cars use a lot of battery power while they are off. i even put a charger on my battery over nite. Good luck, ps is your battery under warranty ? Do not buy a new one if it is, have them replace it.
  • bxdbxd Posts: 186
    Some cars retain power to some circuits if the keys are left in the ignition. I'm not sure if the RDV does. First thing is, stop leaving the keys in the ignition when you aren't going to drive the car again in 10 min or less. Just to rule that out.

Weird buzzes, clicks, abnormal dash lighting, all tends to happen when a battery is deeply discharged.

If the key isn't the culprit, I would replace the battery next.
  • lllabratlllabrat Posts: 12
    I would recommend replacing the battery. I have a 2006 rendezvous bought new 6.5 years ago. It has 105k miles on it now. I have replaced the battery every 2 years. They just seem to go faster in this car. It does not help that I have a lot of electronic accessories hooked up all the time (XM radio, GPS, multiple cell chargers, an inverter etc etc). I also installed an on-board trickle charger that I plug in if the car is going to sit more than a week. I still don't understand why the battery drains faster than my other cars (or for that matter my 98 honda motorcycle can sit for months with no charger and it starts on the first click). Other than that the car has been great with no major problems.
    Dave
    'I still don't understand why the battery drains faster than my other cars '

There are quite a few things on todays vehicles that remain hot after it is turned off. Alarm, radio security. something that will respond to key fob when needed and others. I saw something a few years ago meant for dealers that stated they should start even new vehicles on their lot every 2 weeks to ensure the batteries don't drain down. As a battery ages, they should be charged back up even sooner.
  • ealfordealford Posts: 15
    Maybe the 2006 is different from the 2005. I went on vacation for 3.5 months and left my 05' sitting in the garage and it started right up when I got home. They do use some small amount of current while shut off and the key is out but if your battery is good this should not pose a problem. If they are anything like my Dodge Ram 3500, the doors should be completely closed as well.
  • We are experiencing the same noise. We have a 2005 too. However, it is not a AWD; would your proceedure still apply to our Rendazvous? Your help is appreciated
    In your case I would be leaning towards wheel bearing as the issue.
  • ealfordealford Posts: 15
    I wouldn't think it would be the differential not being AWD. However you may consider the constant velocity joints in the front. Usually they make thumping noises and are worse turning one direction.
  • tflanstertflanster Posts: 17
    I have a 2003 RDV CXL, 67K miles. The rear view dimmer function works only when I jiggle the wire harness. The green light comes on for only as long as the road is smooth. Hit a bump, its out. I had a dealer look at it. He said the mirror should be replaced - $250! I think the problem is in the wire harness or the connector simply because wiggling the harness causes the mirror to function properly. Is this a common event with this device?

The gas tank leaked when it was filled over 1/2 full. A mechanic and a dealer said "$500 for a tank, $250 labor. I called Buick customer relations and complained. Buick paid for a new tank because of an extended service bulletin. Good!

Had an oil change 2 days ago. The mechanic said the oil pan gasket and crank seal are leaking - $1000 - $1200 to repair. I called customer relations. They sent me to a dealer who cleaned up the bottom of the engine and poured some chemical in the crank case that's receptive to black light (a CSI thing?) I have to drive about 50 miles, then bring the car back to the dealer for inspection. Buick customer relations implied they would pick up all or a large part of the repair bill. We'll see in a couple days when I go back to the dealer. BTW: the dealer charges $69.95 for the inspection, less 10% if you're old. I am.

So far aside from a brake job at 64000 miles I haven't spent much in repairs. I like the car. It isn't a workhorse by any stretch but considering what it is, a small engine, small SUV, its an o.k. car. Not as good as a Mercury Villager I had but much better than a Plymouth Voyager junker I got rid of. If I were to dump it I'm pretty sure I'd buy a small pickup.

Has anyone else had these problems with your RDV?
    Well, after two trips to a dealer, and a $65.00 "inspection fee," Buick said "sorry, you're on your own." The front and rear crank seals leak, the oil pan seal leaks, there appears to be some corrosion in the head gasket as well. The dealer never gave me a price to repair. I get a call from Buick. The "regional adjuster" asked me what the repair bill would be. How do I know, I told her. I never got a price. She said oh, well, we're not helping you with this anyway! I asked "if you already knew you weren't going to help out with this problem, why did you let me spend two trips to a dealer and '$65.00? No response.

I realize the car has about 67K miles on it, but these are significant problems with the engine that will cost significant dollars to repair.

Forget Buick/GM I guess. Dump the car and get a Ford.
  • glesserglesser Posts: 2
    Hi there, I am sorry to hear that you have issues with your RDV. I myself have had nothing but a giant head ache with ours. We have a 2002 RDV, and well I don't even think I can list all the problems we have had. I was wondering, you mentioned a Buick Adjuster or Customer Relations? Do you have a website or email address or anyway of contacting them. I want to have a little chat with them and let them know I want my money back. Please let me know on this forum. Anything would be greatly appreciated.
  • I too have a 2003 CXL with 76K on it. Other than a BCM and the crazy Versatrack fluid change, I've had no real issues with it. Are you the original owner? On the mirror issue, if I were you why not pull it off the window, open it up, and see if somethings come loose ( since the only other option is replacing anyway you have nothing to lose). Since Buick isn't going to help, shop around. I'm sure you can find a small local mechanic willing to do the gas tank job for much less. Otherwise remember its a 9 year old car and things are going to crop up here or there. I bet these repairs will still be far cheaper than making a monthly car payment on a newer car. ;)
    crc@buick.com

I don't know if they'll help but its worth a shot.
    I am the original owner. I got Buick to replace the gas tank because it's a safety issue. That's no longer a problem. I think I mentioned it was taken care of. I did in fact have a local, trusted, mechanic look at the tank. His quote was $500+ for the tank and another $250 - $350 for additional parts and labor. (BTW) My wife drives a LeSabre. The catalytic converter crapped out at 60K. $1200 to replace the entire exhaust system because here in California, you can't replace just the converter, and GM won't sell only the converter. So, the whole shebang had to be replaced.)

I can live with the mirror I guess. I believe the problem's with the cable not the mirror itself since wiggling the cable turns the dimmer on. Both map lights work o.k. too.

Sure, its 9 years old. I know that. But the thing of it is that at 67K miles the engine shouldn't be a "threat." Front and back crank seals leaking? Oil pan gasket leaking? And now I was told that's there's some corrosion in the head gasket. I did a web search about RDV problems and found that these are not unique to my car. Head gaskets, oil leaks, gas tank leaks and some electrical problems are common. I checked with NHTSA, the Federal Gov't site too.

I agree, a new or newer used car would be more expensive than what repairs would cost on this one. Can't argue that. But that isn't the point. 67K is relatively small mileage when one considers how well kept the car has been. I'm not looking for Buick to pick up the entire price but I'd sure like to get some "help" on them.