Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Buick Rendezvous Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• Karen@EdmundsKaren@Edmunds Posts: 5,023
    Enter 46 in the "Go to Msg#" box.

Karen-Edmunds Community Manager

• Has anyone changed their fuel filter. Where is it located? Also, has anyone had problems with the turning knob on the side of the drivers seat falling off? We have had it in the dealer once for it and it still doesnt stay on.
  • fedlawmanfedlawman Posts: 3,118
    I just took my RDV in for an oil change and had some warranty bugs addressed.

These bugs included the falling lumbar adjustment knob, slightly confused memory mirrors, and a wandering compass. I also have a buzz in the passenger side of the rear cargo area over textured pavement and road "dots"...I'll fix that one myself.

Broken clips on the knob caused it to fall off and a new knob is on order, as are new motors for the power mirrors (per TSB). The compass simply needed to be recalibrated (drive around in a circle three times).

I also have a slow clock, but rather than risk opening pandoras box, I prefer to just set it 2 or 3 minutes ahead of my wristwatch whenever I notice it's more than a few minutes off...no biggie.

Oh yeah, my wife backed into a partially concealed electrical breaker box last month and put a nice mark on the rear bumper (good thing the plastic is grey underneath the paint)...and then last week, her mom ground the front bumper into a yellow painted concrete post. Thank goodness for polishing compound.

29,000 miles and going strong...
  • mnfish1mnfish1 Posts: 14
    hi just took my 2003 rdv in to local mn dealer john hirsh cambridge...found a little rock that was making the scretch noise...it is a wonder what those great mechanics can do....wonderfull!!!
  • rdv has 6500 miles, absolutely love the ride and space but all four windows have a tight fit and have scratched and etched marks in glass from putting windows up & down. You can actually hear the windows getting scratched as they move. Anyone else notice this problem?
  • jk27jk27 Posts: 244
    I definitely do not have that problem. If I did I would certainly make an appointment with the dealer for repair/replacement -- sooner than later.
  • aehoppaehopp Posts: 3
    Does anyone else have a car that sounds like a wind tunnel? I purchased mine in Feb, it's been in the shop 2 times. I have a high pitched wind noise coming from somewhere around the top of the frame or windows. It's driving me crazy. They've tried adjusting the doors, checking the window seals and putting filler goop around the door seals. No solution. Any suggestions? This is my first Buick, and I'm very disappointed with their definition of "luxury".
  • jk27jk27 Posts: 244
    I have had very few problems/glitches with my 2002 RDV CXL, however the lumbar adjustment knob did fall off (and apparently it has for several others of us). I'll have this fixed at the next service appointment.

Anybody experienced the sunroof stuttering/stopping when it opens? It doesn't happen all the time (seems more prevalent in warm weather).
  • philly88philly88 Posts: 45
    With regards to the wind noise, I've noticed it too, but only sometimes. A high pitched wistle. I find things like this annoying too. But with the radio very low the whistle is all but gone. I've had wind noise on other vehicles and know that the dealers rarely can get to the bottom of it. It doesn't seem to always be there. I am thinking that it may have to do with the direction of the wind and possibly a result of the body clading or mirror rather than the rubber seal. My seals seem good and tight.

All and all it isn't detracting from my fondness of my new ride. Its GREAT.
  • aehoppaehopp Posts: 3
    I think my whistle is more of a "fluttering" sound... it's intermitten too. But now I'm always listening for it and can't stop obsessing! My seals are good, I think it's an engineering flaw in the design. Any idea what GM's return policy looks like? ha ha ha.
  • airmojoairmojo Posts: 6
    I just had my wife's 2002 Buick Rendezvous's front wheel bearings replaced by the dealer.

It seemed like the front tires were making a whining noise, and at first I thought I had a problem with the Firestone tires, so I took it to a local tire dealer who carries Firestone tires for in case the tires could be replaced under warranty. He took the car for a test drive and could tell that it was the wheel bearings. He also noted that there seems to be a lot of problems with GM wheel bearings lately.

So beware if you hear your tires whinig and singing--its the front wheel bearings !
    I've had my wife's 2002 Rendezvous in twice to fix this problem but the dealer still hasn't fixed it.

Anyone else have this problem and know how it was fixed ?

The problem is intermittent--does not happen all the time, and never happens when the car is in for maintenance! I suspect that the problem will occur when a police officer or state patrol is behind your vehicle !

The problem (when it happens): Left tail light brake light does not come on, and when right turn signal is on, both rear tail lights flash on and off. These two problems always happen together.

First the dealer replaced some sort of multi-switch, then later replaced the left tail light bulb (said it had a short). But neither solutions have fixed the problem.

And of course you have to be following the car for some time to see the problem occur.
  • kenymkenym Posts: 405
    I have been following this board for about two years and this is the first I have heard of this problem.

"Left tail light brake light does not come on, and when right turn signal is on, both rear tail lights flash on and off. These two problems always happen together"

How did you discover this was happening?

~Ken
    Oh No! Not the dreaded bearings!!!!

I went through that on my 2000 Blazer. changed the front bearings at 20,000 km and again at 50,000 km. I find that so crazy! I've never changed the bearings on any car and here it happened twice under 60,000 km.

I pray my RDV doesn't suffer this fate.
    << How did you discover this was happening? >>

kenym... Someone has to follow you for sometime to verify what's happening, but it does not malfunction all the time. I wish it would, then it would be much easier to fix. Way too many fancy electronics!

A few months back, someone told my wife that one of her brake lights was out. So I get home and go to the garage to check it out (kind of hard to do yourself!), and everything was working fine.

Several days later, I'm following my wife and son home from a doctor's visit where we both drove separately, and I noticed the intermittent problem.

And after it was supposedly fixed (replacement of multi-switch), I again followed my wife home and noticed the problem again. Took it back to the dealer, and they replaced the left tail-light bulb.

And while following my wife again to get my new 2003 Dodge Dakota Rhino bedliner installed, I noticed the problem still existed.

Very frustrating, especially having to describe the same exact problem to the service department over and over again, and he's looking at you like you're nuts.

To protect my wife and myself, I am going to write a letter for the dealer's service manager to sign and date each time it was supposedly fixed (and state that they have really no idea how to fix the problem), so I can present it to the police officer or trooper who pulls me over for inoperable tail-lights.
    philly88... I haven't had a wheel bearing problem since I owned a '65 Corvair (my first car that I bought used in 1972 while a senior in high school). But that was the last GM product that I bought since the 2002 Rendezvous, although my wife has owned a couple of Buicks.

I've owned a 1974 Dodge maxivan, 1976 Horizon TC3, 1984 Dodge Daytona, 1987 Dodge Dakota 4x4, 1996 Dodge Dakota club cab 4x4, and now a 2003 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4x4 (man I'm getting old!).

Never had a wheel bearing problem. I wonder who makes the wheel bearings for GM ?
  • olrdvolrdv Posts: 53
    So far we are pretty happy with our RDV. Like everyone else we could use more power.
    Since delivery, we drove just over 2k miles without a single problem other than some brake squeal.
    Am I alone or anyone out there has the same problem?
    Yup, here too, Brake Squeal. My exhaust was out of line and was rattling against the drive shaft. After that was fixed I could now hear the brakes. Usually after about 5 minutes of driving the squeal leaves or at least becomes less noticeable.

I'm gonna live with it for a few thousand km, and then ask about it next time something more serious comes up.
    Since I've had my RDV for about three weeks now, I've noticed a few things and was wondering if others are the same.

1) When the vents are selected for heating, the air flow is very light. More air flows when set to defrost mode.

2) The ventilation system is generally a bit noisy. I find myself having to use the higher settings first thing in the morning because of the low airflow, and the high settings are very loud. My Blazer was so quite you would forget the heat was on.

3) My windshield fluid kinda dribbles out. I think there is something in the line blocking the flow because it takes about 8 or 10 seconds for fluid to even come out and then it dribbles, not sprays. How does your fluid come out?

Other than the above I am surprised by the maneuverability of such a large vehicle. The turning radius seems very good. With my Blazer I always had to turn, backup, and turn again to make u-turns in narrow roads.

I continue to be impressed with its smooooth ride. My brother took it for a spin today and aimed for every pothole. In northern Canada this time of year the potholes are huge and pletyfull. While I was in the passenger seat I barely noticed the rough road and never experienced the side to side whiplash effect on bumpy rods my jeep and blazer use to give me.
  • mnfish1mnfish1 Posts: 14
    the other day i had my service engine light come on my 2003 rdv. upon closer examination of my gas cap i found it completely off...now...on my 2000 buick century 3.1 i can retighten the cap and the light will come off...or i can take it to a place like checkers and they will 'test it' and remove the service engine light... however with the rdv i have tightened the cap and nothing has happened and furthermore the guys at checker auto store disagree as to whether they can remove the service light...one said only a dealer can shut it off...anybody had experience with this...