Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Buick Rendezvous Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• beef2die4beef2die4 Member Posts: 1
    :confuse: I too am expierencing the same issues. The only difference is that all the electrical goes out. The engine continues to run properly. I dont have the remote starter. I really like the vehicle it is very comfortable for the family. I have not taken it in to get checked yet, approximately how much should I expect to get it fixed.
  • shirley2307shirley2307 Member Posts: 1
    Sorry if this duplicaters. I posted about 4 hrs ago and don't see my query:

Irrelevant info: I drive an SUV because I am handicapped and need a vehicle big enuf for my w'chair. I use a hand control for my brake. Bought it 2nd hand last August.

Relevant info:
    I luv my Buick Rendezvous (02, 6 cyl). Reliable and solid . . . EXCEPT: During the high heat (it can get 105 easily here in summer), if I've been driving for a while, so engine's warm/hot, and I make a quick stop, say at the pet store to run in and pick up cat food (so engine's off less than six or seven minutes), when I come out, engine will not catch.

Mind, this won't happen if I'm in the store for 20 or 30 minutes, it's only on quick stops!

I've learned from experience not to keep trying to start it; to just get out, leave it for 20 or 25 minutes (usually) and t hen come back and it's ok. It makes you think of a vapor lock, but obviously is not. Mechanic thinks it's either fuel pump or something called a ECM or ZCM (under hood and can control fuel pump). It's intermittent. It only happens in hot weather. It has not done it all winter. That's why I don't think it's fuel pump.

Mechanic wants me to wait til weather is warm again then leave it with him for 3 or so days. He wants to make it happen at the dealership so theycan get the dx equip on it when it happents. Anyone here heard of anything like this? I hate intermittant problems!!
  • buickno1buickno1 Member Posts: 2
    get your differential checked. a simple fluid change can prevent a major dirrerential repair to the tune of 3600!!
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    I posted about 4 hrs ago and don't see my query ...

You forgot to click the "Post My Message" button the first time. Glad you made it!

tidester, host
  • regalluvr2regalluvr2 Member Posts: 114
    Our 2002 CXL RDV went thru BCM after BCM.Our lights stayed on and the way to fix that is to unhook the battery for a little bit which resets the computer and turns the lights off.We carried a wrench with us and I showed my wife how to do it.

Our Buick dealer couldnt solve the BCM problem so finally we solved the BCM problem ourselves by trading off the 2002 RDV for a new 2004 Toyota Highlander Limited which has been trouble free for over 2 years.

I think the 02 RDV's have a lousy wiring system plus many other problems which I have mentioned on here numerous times in the past two years.

Good Luck!!
  • hotrod10hotrod10 Member Posts: 1
    I am having all the same problems with my Rendezvous, with the addition of the A/C not working! Do you know where this BCM Module is located on the vehicle, and could the average mechanic like myself fix this? The $300.00 you spoke of to have this fixed; was this for just the part,or labor also?
    P.S. Was your A/C not working as well?
    Hopeing you will ease my mind of the cost
    a little! THANKS B.B.
  • tjw2tjw2 Member Posts: 1
    In less than one year's time, our 2005 Rendezvous has twice just completely shut down (once on a busy interstate highway). Two Buick dealers have been unable to diagnose the problem and GM has been somewhat unresponsive. Has anyone that has experienced this problem had any luch in getting it resolved, whether through the dealer, GM, or state lemon law? Thanks for any suggestions.
  • nextmoonnextmoon Member Posts: 386
    Try tightening your battery terminal connectors. Even if they feel tight, tighten it at least 1-2 more turns. Mines shut down completely and I've posted this in the forum earlier.

Ever since I've had my terminal connectors cleaned and retightened, the clock has not drifted in minutes since. This time drift was a common problem (I use to loose a minute every two weeks or so)...this may be the answer.
  • dietzdietz Member Posts: 1
    Now that its getting warmer I expected the temperature reading to reflect the outside temperature. Instead I'm still getting the ICE message and temperature fluctuating between -32 and 0.
    I suspect the sensor was disconnected or it failed. However I can't find it. Does anyone know whether its located? :blush:
  • marquemarcmarquemarc Member Posts: 2
    I find this Forum very enlightening. I purchased a low mileage (24,000)GM CERTIFIED 2002 RDV CX in Feb 06. After a month, I had it back to the dealership for three problems; exhaust rattling, engine noise, and power steering vibration. The exhaust was fixed, a $2.00 clamp was added fwd of catalytic converter (some big flashy VIP treatment name was given to that fix) at no charge. The engine noise and steering vibration was supposedly, I was told, is "normal".
    The steering vibration only happens on backing up on an incline; I can live with that problem. But the engine noise? I can't!
    I was told at the dealership that - the cold start up rattling noise is normal. I asked, "what is the noise?"
    the service writer said, "lifters". I responded that the vehicle only has 24,000 miles on it. He said that they all (RDVs) do it.
    Yeah OK, if all RDV's do it, then nobody would buy new RDVs with lifter noise. If a dealer says its "normal" doesn't mean its OK. To me, it means its normal for that certain model to have that problem. Well, with my train of thought, I asked the dealership to write up a signed document. The document would explain that the noise would have no adverse long-term effect on the engine. Of course, they couldn't do that and instead, gave me BUICK's customer service phone number.
    To make this short: I spent 3 months arguing with Buick and the dealership and got nothing.
    I had a ASE master mechanic look at the RDV and stated that my problem was not "normal". Still Buick and the dealership did nothing; they both told me basically, if the RDV doesn't move, then they could fix it.
    What I learned. That GM certified doesn't mean it doesn't have problems. If anyone is interested in buying a certified vehicle, TAKE IT TO A SECOND PARTY ASE MECHANIC. If the salesperson gives up a line about being certified; tell him/her that you still want it checked by some other party. If they give you the run around; WALK AWAY.
    Right now, I'm determining on fixing the lifters or just trading it in for a Japanese made vehicle. Its sad...that I'm a veteran and believe in America and resort to buying something foreign. I've lost faith in American made vehicles :lemon:
    P.S. I'm surprized that no one else in this forum has complained about lifter noise or is it the least of the problems on RDVs?
  • mclindadmclindad Member Posts: 2
    I posted a message last week and never got a real answer. Your complaint is exactly like mine and the head of the repair department at the dealership said it is nothing to worry about. I think a clamp or something may be missing because when I hit a speed bump or turn my steering wheel sharply it stops. It is embarrassing to have such an expensive beautiful vehicle sound like a $500 beater. I am also looking for answers. I bought the extended 3 year warranty as we bought it used with 45,000 miles on it but can't seem to find out if this is covered or not. :(
  • mimiannmimiann Member Posts: 3
    I just had to reply to your post. I have posted two times, #1351 and #1379. After you read them, you will see that we too had alot of problems. Ours also had the lifter noise. Our warranty was up and we would have had to fight with the dealer to have the problems fixed. It was not worth it to us. We traded for a GMC, American made yes, but we think a better product. Good luck!
  • regalluvr2regalluvr2 Member Posts: 114
    In the past 2-3 years while surfing different websites I have seen 15-20 RDV owners that are having problems like yours.Their RDV will just shut down on the hiway and wont restart.

A lady in a neighboring town has a 2002 RDV thats done this 3-4 times causing her to almost be hit from the rear.They will tow it in to the dealership and it will start then.The last I knew they couldnt fix it.

Good Luck.You arent alone.
  • hayneldanhayneldan Member Posts: 657
    My neighbor has a 2002 RDV which has destroyed the plastic widow lifts (both sides) Does anyone know how the window cable routing is run? I know it is some sort of an "X" pattern but I am unable to find a reference manual in the stores or library that shows the routing of the power window cable.
  • netnerdnetnerd Member Posts: 118
    My 2002 RDV has heated front seats. The little amber light on the switch for the driver's side seat heater is out (not lighting). The seat still heats. Anybody know how to get at the bulb to see if it's just burned out?
  • akcampoakcampo Member Posts: 2
    Once in a while I get parks light out warning and the park lights stay on permenetly. After that The keyless entry doesn't work either. The only way to fix it is to disconnect the battery power in the fuse box under the hood and then everything works fine until the next time. The problem doesn't seem to be the lights as I have replaced the relay and the fuse and it doesn't help. I even took out all the fuses and put them back in, but only disconnecting the battery fixes it. Maybe by disconnecting the battery, I'm resetting the BCM. But if BCM is broken why only these 2 functions are not working and why it's once in a while.

Any ideas? I'm still trying to avoid a BCM change. My Buick is a 2002 CX with 47K and I've already been through the AC ordeal.
    Help please! :confuse: :lemon:
  • clm51clm51 Member Posts: 9
    And here I thought I was the only one with this problem since no one can tell me what is wrong at a dealership! I have a 2002 RDV and one month after I purchased it it would not start and had to have it towed to a dealership. Sat there for a week and they could find nothing wrong, but it wouldn't start for them either! then one day it cranked right up... Have had no further problems until week before last and my Security light, Service Vehicle Soon message started flashing, radio/CD player locked up, interior lights would not work, security sound would not work when locking the door. It does it intermittenly now and so I am waiting till it does it again to take it back in. Of course my 5 year/60,000 mile warranty ran out 200 miles ago. Maybe I'll just print out some of these and take them with me next time.
  • gracie06gracie06 Member Posts: 2
    I have had my 2006 CXL for 3 weeks now. I already took it into service for a vibration I get just after starting up. It only last for a second or two. I feel it mostly in the gas pedal, and pulling forward. I can sense it is there when I back out of the garage, but it is more predominant when pulling forward. I was told by service the vibration I am feeling is the ABS motor kicking in. I thought this was nonsense at first. I have a 2001 Buick LeSabre with ABS and it never did this. In reading this forum I am thinking that it may be true that it is the ABS motor kicking in. I have a pretty good salesman, and he also drives a Rondy. I spoke with him about it and he suggested we switch cars for a couple days so he can see for himself what I am talking about. I test drove 2 different Rondys, and even kept one for 2 days, and I don't recall either of them having this vibration.

So, is the consensus on this forum that this vibration is from the ABS motor? That is the feeling I am getting here.

Thanks, Gracie06
  • ttop72ttop72 Member Posts: 4
    Just bought a 2006 Rendezvous, which I assumed was American made However the SUV was made in MEXICO and not in America. I have NEVER bought ANY automobile which was made in any other country then OURS (USA). I have owned 35 autos during my 55 years of driving and this will be the first and LAST one I will EVER buy that made outside of the United States of America. I support the United States of America and its WORKERS and do not want my money spent for a car going OUT of this country and taken away from OUR WORKERS.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Well, it was made in North America, so it sort of is American made.

"So which is more "American," a Chevrolet pickup made in Canada, or a Honda Accord made in the USA?" "Buy American"!?!?!? (Straightline)

"Your future Buick might be made in Shanghai, not Michigan." General Motors Enjoys Record Year in China in 2004 (Inside Line)

Steve, Host
  • 442455442455 Member Posts: 64
    My wife's 2004 Rendezvous does the exact same thing, and yes it is the ABS self check during start up. Only lasts a few seconds just like yours.
  • dpullen4dpullen4 Member Posts: 12
    Am I safe from the head gasket issues when buying a 2004 CXL? I thought I read on here some time ago the RDV's effected by the head gasket issue on the 3.4 were in 2002 and some in 2003. I just wanted to see if I would be in the clear. Thanks!!!
    You are correct. The 2002 and some 2003 Rendezvous have the old design gaskets. The 2004 all have the new design. My wife has a 2004 that just hit 30000 miles, and it has been a great vehicle for her and has had only two dealer vists for a problem. That was for a problem with the transmission solenoid at about 5000 miles, and a module failure with her built in cell phone at about 26000 miles. She loves her CXL Rendezvous.
  • 05rendezvous05rendezvous Member Posts: 2
    Hi Gracie,
    I have an 05 Rondy (purchased in Dec.) with the exact same problem. It's been back to the dealer twice now, and they can't figure it out. It only happens when you first start out. And, if the car sits about 15-20 minutes, it will also do it, but not in normal driving. It is really annoying and sounds and feels like grinding, which can't be good. My Buick dealer is completely clueless and said that it must be normal! I don't think so, they have the problem documented and told me they would contact me if the problem generates a Service Bulletin. I told them I would be staying in touch. Let me know if you find out anything and I'll do the same.
    Tracy :(
  • kenymkenym Member Posts: 405
    We purchased our RDV in July 2001 just shy of five years ago and we had a tad over 98K miles on it when we sold it. It has been one of the Best/Worst vehicles I have ever owned. Like a saying from an old movie I once saw "When she was good... SHE WAS VERY, VERY GOOD.... But when she was bad.... SHE WAS VERY, VERY BAD" and that pretty much sums up how the past five years went.

In all fairness to our Buick Dealer he did the best he could do too keep it running. I am not sure if it "IS" or "WAS" a design flaw with the 2002 RDV or just poor quality control on Buick and or Buick's vendors.

1) We had three BCM replacements one under the original warrantee and two under the extended warrantee. Cost about $800 each time to GM and $107 twice to me ( we had the $100 deductible + tax ).

2) We had the engine head gasket replaced twice. 1st one was replaced at about 12K and the second one at about 40K. Cost about $1200 each time to GM and $107 once to me. I fought this $107 with GM and lost

3) The air conditioner and radio were both replaced in the 1st year we owned the vehicle. We also had the under carriage in the rear of the vehicle replaced at about 48K. I was told this caused tire wear. Cost about $1000 to GM and $200 to me. ($107 deductible and $89 - four wheel alignment ). There was quite a few other smaller things but I think you get the idea. Our Buick dealer was very good about supplying us with a free loaner each time but we did spend a lot of time and money there.

Would I buy another RDV? In a simple answer "YES". Did I buy another RDV "NO". However not because of the problems with the vehicle or service from our Dealer but because we no longer needed this type of vehicle. My wife and I are both retired now, and our kids and grand kids are all grown and we just felt it was time to down size before anything else went wrong with the RDV. I loved the ride of the RDV but could no longer justify the cost to maintain and run it.

I have really enjoyed this forum over the years and will continue to check in every once in awhile

Best,
    Ken
  • verdi942verdi942 Member Posts: 304
    Just my 2 cents - My '04 FWD has ALWAYS given out with a momentary groan/vibration when starting to roll after first starting the motor. At first I thought it was the dreaded premature wheel bearing failure, but I've been told it's just the ABS doing a self-check, and that's probably what it is. Occasionally, while rolling along at highway speed, I'll feel it again, usually for about 10 seconds. A little disconcerting, but, since the car still performs flawlessly after 25K miles, I'll let it go for now. I guess some RDV's do it, and some don't - different model years, or not with AWD?
    This was copied right out of the 2004 Buick Rendezvous GM Service Manual which I have. The Doc number is 752947. I did not check for other years, but I would think they use the same components.

The initialization sequence cycles each solenoid valve and the pump motor (as well as the necessary relays) for approximately 1.5 seconds to check component operation. The EBCM sets a DTC if any error is detected. The initialization sequence may be heard and felt while it is taking place, and is considered part of normal system operation.
  • jreleajrelea Member Posts: 1
    This started happening to me 3 days ago. The temperature reading goes blank and then goes down all the way to -37. This is quite annoying since the heater then kicks in. Does anyone know what causes this or how to fix it?
    Thanks!!! :confuse:
    Could be several things including the head unit, the BCM, the ECM, and the outside temperature sensor itself. It could be a bad ground between the sensor and the head unit, or the head unit to the body.

My first guess is a bad ground or a bad sensor. The sensor is located under the hood near the front. Check to see if it got knocked loose or broken. Anything been done under the hood recently?

Does the head unit allow you to set the temperature for inside the car, but still read -37 for outside? If not, than it might be the head unit. You may have to have a dealer scan it for trouble codes, since one should be set.
  • dale44139dale44139 Member Posts: 2
    Like many of you RDV owners, I had to replace both front wheel bearings at approximately 38,000 miles on my 2004.

When will Buick admit that they have a problem that they need to address?
  • boondocksboondocks Member Posts: 57
    I have been having this problem, too! I have not yet taken it in to Buick. My husband is a mechanic and has been trying to solve the problem at home with his aftermarket scanner.

Here's what's happening - when you start the car, the lights flash, the guages jump, and you can hear relays clicking all around the car. This goes on from a few seconds up to a couple minutes. Sometimes it goes away painlessly, other times it ends up in security mode. When it ends up in security mode, the lights stay on and the radio locks up. You can sometimes disable security mode by opening the driver's side door all the way. Or, you can always disable it by pulling and replacing this one fuse in the box just unbder the hood.

I've also had all 4 wheel bearings replaced at least once, one under warranty. My husband replaced them with NAPA lifetime warranty bearings, so at least when they go out now, I don't have to pay for new parts. I had chalked it up to the RDV not being designed for life in a rural area with gravel roads. But I guess it's a pervasive problem.

By the way, I just jumped into this forum, so I've only read a few posts. I used to be active on the main RDV board back in 2001, until I bought my '02 in Sept 2001. I agree with the poster who stated that when it's good, it's very good, but when it's bad, it's VERY bad. I love the mileage I get, I love all the space, I love the way it drives. My husband hates replacing wheel bearings, and this electrical problem is driving him nuts.

It just turned 95,000 miles today. Since I like the car, I'd like to get a warranty and keep driving it. Any recommendations for getting a warranty on a car of this age, with its growing reputation for poor build quality? Is it a lost cause?
  • gsagergsager Member Posts: 3
    I, too, had to replace my front wheel bearings at about 45,000 miles, and then one of the rears at about 65,000 miles. I have a 2002. It's definitely a problem.
  • amichalskiamichalski Member Posts: 1
    Hi all,
    I just recently purchased a 2003 RDV with only 25K miles, the remainder of the factory warranty an an extended 4yr 48month warranty and I'm completely happy. Drives great, fits me well but in reading around I've read that there is a known Head Gasket problem with 2002's and some 2003's.

Is there any way to know if my 2003 is in the group of cars with the faulty head gasket? Range of VIN's or other code within the VIN that would tell me?

Thanks!
    According to information I found on another site, the gasket problems were with an old design. The old ones were replaced with a new design somewhere between March and May of 2003.

You can check the date yours was built by looking on the drivers door when you open the door. If yours is somewhere around the cutoff date, you might want to investigate the gaskets.

Steve
  • joein508joein508 Member Posts: 3
    This is a long reply but maybe we can help one another. This started out as the "Saga of a noisy radio on
    the AM band" It has now turned into a "bad electrical grounding
    problem". If you are interested you can catch up by reading my
    posts #467 and #478 on the Yahoo "buickrendezvousclub". It started out with hearing static on the
    am band of my radio (with the key on ). I finaly was able to show the dealer that it was
    a bad ground somewhere in the car. Most likely on or near the
    firewall. His reaction was to "not hear a thing" and to deny any
    problem. I took the car to two independant garages and they confirmed
    the bad ground. I then took it to another Buick dealer who confirmed
    the problem. However his technician could not find the problem in the
    time they alloted so they returned the car to me with some
    troubleshooting of the grounding system done but not fixed. The next
    idea the "new" dealer has is to wait until July 1st because they are
    getting a new service man who is "an expert on electrical problems"
    and he will be available on that date.

I called Buick customer service and this time I spoke with a John
    Aten. What a joke he is. All he could do is call the service manager
    (the one who can't hear the problem when everyone else can). Of course
    nothing came of that.

If anyone has had this problem let me know what your dealer might have
    done to fix the problem. I also belive this is related to static
    coming out of the small speakers by the doors with the radio off.

For thos who are interested I found the problem by using a cheap portable radio and left the automobile radio off. I then used the portable radio as a detector and by moving it around the enginer compartment with the key "off" and then "on" I was ablee to pinpoint the source of the noise.
  • lindeezylindeezy Member Posts: 6
    Hi, I saw the problem you were having with the fuel gauge and I was wondering if you solved the problem because mine does the same thing.

Thank You
    Respectfully
    Eric L
  • ragtop262ragtop262 Member Posts: 58
    Lindeezy:
    I had this problem with the fuel gage last summer. In my case, it turned out to be a wet/corroded wire harness connector under the car. The day after they fixed that, the "service vehicle" light came on. Seems the shorted wiring harness also fried a couple sensors in the emmission system. After the second visit everything was fine. Total cost was about $400 between the two repair visits.
  • frustratedrdvfrustratedrdv Member Posts: 2
    HELP ME PLEASE!! My 2002 Rendevous has stalled and not started for the 10th time and no one has an answer. I am tired of pushing and being stranded. :mad: :cry: I have changed out the battery cleaned the posts and wires. It seems to not get fuel to the front. :confuse: The battery turns over but no go. I also have a whurring sound when I turn my wheels and the air has NEVER worked but of course I bought it in the winter and didnt notice. CAN ANYONE ADVISE! I think I am in for alot of expense. :lemon: I there a website assisting in repairing these cars on own?

THANK YOU!
  • dsabou2062dsabou2062 Member Posts: 1
    I have the exact same problem. I recently purchased a 2006 Rendezvous as was surprised at the poor quality of AM Reception compared to my othr vehicles. My dealer compared it to another Rendezvous on his lot - Normal (so he said). I contacted Customer Service & am ready to go to another dealer for a second opinion. Have you found out anything further or are you waiting for July 1?

What was the source of your noise? A post for another Manufacturer said his poor AM radio reception cleared up when the Alternator was replaced (for another peoblem).
  • hennypenny3hennypenny3 Member Posts: 5
    could you please give me the customer service number?
  • hennypenny3hennypenny3 Member Posts: 5
    is there a emergency cut off switch on a 2002 buick rendevouz. Our vehicle was turned off and will not restart. It is not flooded because as much as you pump the gas you cannot smell any gas at all. My ford had a cut off switch you had to match when you stalled I was just wondering if this one did too. This is the second time it has happened. Last time it just started up by itself the next day.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    While you're waiting for a reply here you may also want to try "No Start" Problems.

tidester, host
  • randy17randy17 Member Posts: 5
    just wondering about the bcm"s. ive had trouble opening my rear hatch with the remote and inside release. it works once in a while. dealer told me its the bcm( about $800). lately, my electrical system has been going haywire, with all controls flashing on and off while im driving, doors locking and unlocking, with the system finally ending up in security mode, even though i dont have a car alarm. do you think its the same problem, bcm. also, ive been told it could be the bcm valve, which is around 160. any help is appreciated, thanx
    randy17, it does sound like your BCM (Body Control Module). This device controls many of the items you mentioned. What year is yours and how many miles. There was a problem with earlier BCMs and there was also an issue with water leaking into the area where the BCM is, there by shorting them out. Not sure what a BCM "valve" is
    its a 2002 with around 53000 miles. thanx for the help
  • ray80ray80 Member Posts: 1,655
    It certainly sounds like it is BCM related. Couple of things I've seen from the Pontiac version are: I know of one person who corrected the haywire thing by cleaning and ensuring tight connections to BCM using electronics cleaner. Another possibilty is battery/charging system as yours has some age on it. The electronics can be pretty sensitive to voltage flucuations and a little corrosion on battery cables and/or connection to fuse box can cause troubles. An 'active' load test may help determine if battery/alternater are working properly also.
    If I were a betting man and owned a ranch....I would bet the ranch that your problems are BCM related. The fact that you have a 2002 with 53K and HAVE NOT replaced the BCM is quite remarkable in my opinion. The problems I encountered were doors locking ( Like at the auto wash, you know engine running..Doors locked ). For no reason the horn starts blowing and the lights start flashing. This happened to me twice. Once at three AM in our attached garage and once in rush hour traffic. I also had the same as you mentioned with my electrical system. It went completly off while the engine kept running. I had three of them replaced in my RDV in just under 5 years.

However Buick claims there is no problem with them. I don't know if there is a way to tally up how many people on this thread had problems with 2002 RDV BCMs, but I am sure there are a lot and I don't think they are crazy or making it up . Hope everything turns out Ok with yours. I know it doesn't sound like it but I did enjoy my RDV and kind of miss it -- Not the problems but the ride and space
    it provided. :P

Best,
    Ken
    ive emailed GM to complain about it , since ive seen plenty of people saying they"ve replaced the bcm more than once. havent heard back yet. i really dont want to go back to the dealer, but ill have to. i cant find the part number anywhere. last question to anyone, ive heard of 2 different prices for the bcm. dealer quoted me around $800, im assuming labor included,this was a while back when i had problems with my rear hatch. ive also been told the bcm part is around $250 to $290. any help is appreciated . thanx for all the replies
    Randy even if you bought the BCM I am not sure if it is a do-it-yourself job. Eveything has to be recalculated even the keys. The job takes about three and a half hours to do. So $290 for the part sounds about right the rest is labor.
    i guess thats why i was quoted $800 for the job. thanx for all the help. ill let the guy know whos gonna do it the whole story. maybe ill have to pay the man the $800. have a good night