Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Buick Rendezvous Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• dks3dks3 Posts: 1
    1 comment previous e-mailers are right don't think about buying this card without the extended warranty. In the last year I've replaced the air conditioner condenser $800.00, the anti theft sensor $766.00, the front right wheels speed sensor $366.00 and tomorrow will be picing it up from AAMCO where the transmission is beig overhauled estimated total $3100.00. I too have called GM, I'm not sure what they can or will do. But this is a ton of money for a car that I still have a year to pay on.
  • tey463tey463 Posts: 1
    I have had this same problem with my 02 Rendezvous CXL AWD. If you run it a while, shut it down and then try to start it back up within a few minutes, it sometimes doesn't want to start. The first time it happened I had it towed to the dealership and ofcourse they couldn't find a problem. They said possibly something to do with the security system. It has happened 3 times since and I've only had the vehicle a year. It's very frustrating being afraid to shut your vehicle down to get gas or run into a store etc. I have contacted Buick and am waiting for a response. (Probably wont help). If anyone finds out what the problem is, please post it.
    Thanks
  • ray80ray80 Posts: 1,339
    We have this 'HOT START" thing happen with our Pontiac version also. I haven't heard of any official fix for it. When it doesn't start the first time, just hold it in start position a little longer and it should fire up ,
  • ckinnyckinny Posts: 14
    This is how the problems with my '02 RDV started. Then it turned itself off WHILE I WAS DRIVING IT. It happened to a mechanic while he had it out for a test drive and they never figured out what it was. But they didn't think it was a safety issue and I had to fight with them for weeks. They "helped" me into an '05 which I hate and isn't a car I would have chosen. This is why after having GM products all my life I WILL NEVER BUY A GM CAR AGAIN!

Don't give in and don't wait. They are in no hurry to help you. You have to be persistent. Call customer service and get someone assigned to your case. Make them give you a time when they will call you back. DOCUMENT EVERYTHING! If they don't call you when they say call them and let them know they let you down. Keep asking for someone higher up. Your ultimate goal is to talk to the illusive "zone manager". He has all the power but doesn't have time to talk to a lowly customer. Start asking for his name and tell them you know that this has happened with other '02 RDVs. Go to the NHTSA web site and search you'll find cases you can quote to them. They won't like it. DO NOT BACK DOWN.

Part of the reason GM is in such financial problems is because of how they treat customers.
  • ehlers1ehlers1 Posts: 3
    Does anyone know where I can find the blower motor resistor? My fan speeds 1-4 do not work but I still have #5 speed. I was told the culprit was the blower motor resistor
  • I've read most of the postings and wonder if anyone has any insight into this problem. The vehicle is a 2003 RDV CXL AWD with 12,000 miles. On 7/13/05 and 7/15/05 the vehicle failed to start. Both times the following occurred:
    After re-fueling, the engine started, then stumbled roughly and stalled.
    After stalling, repeated attempts to start failed. (10 to 15 attempts over 25 minutes)
    After 25 minutes the engine started and ran fine.
  • gratergrater Posts: 1
    Add me to those with a A/C compressor (cost me 200 due to extended warranty coverage) and rear wiper motor (warranty covered repair) replacement on a 2002 RDV CX. I might have an intake gasket leak or something else as I have some drops on the driveway and it seams to be burning some oil. The intake gasket issue is not just limited to Rendezvous. My 96 Chevy S-10 has just had this replaced although it made it to 100K miles. The majority of my problems with that truck have been the coolant system. My mechanic says there seems to be a problem with the DEX COOL. I would change the fluid more frequently than recommended.

However, today I was replacing the front disk brake pads (58K) due to some brake noises. When I pulled the pads off of the front passenger side. The outside brake pad basically dropped out. It did not have clips retaining it. This pad was almost down to the metal. All of the other pads had at least 1/4 to a 1/3 of the pad left. No one had the part that was open today. Also while trying to push the cylinder back, the boot would not recess properly leaving it out over the cylinder. The driver side had the problem, but it was fairly easy to correct. I am not a master mechanic or anything, but I have changed numerous brake pads and drum shoes and have never experienced this before. Has anyone else had this problem or could the cylinder and boot be damaged because of the clips missing?
  • duke516duke516 Posts: 2
    It happened to me also last winter - had to take it to the dealer.
    Hope you are still under warranty.
  • ehlers1ehlers1 Posts: 3
    No I'm not. I have 84K on the car and this is the first thing to go on the car. I know the part must be easy to replace and the cost I found out is around $25. I know if I take it to a dealer it will cost $150+
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 18,538
    Post a request for the location here
    bozie, "Got a Quick, Technical Question?" #1699, 17 Jul 2005 12:24 am

Alcan probably knows where the resistor board is on that car and also there might be a fuse to check that feeds the lower speeds for the blower. It's probably an under the dash, take off a sound deadening cover, find the right location, pull the connector for the power cable, remove two screws and you've done it.
  • Had my 2002 RDV since 7/01. Drive very little (have 7200 miles). Today, after getting NYS Inspection and Oil Change/Filter/Lube (for the 1st time at local mechanic -had used dealer service,prior), I came home, parked the car, then came out again - NO START - Battery Dead. Tried a few more times, then it started. Also started again 2 hours later.

Looked at orig Delco Battery and the "eye" is dark. Funny, I looked at it two or three times in the past few weeks and it was "green". (took two 400 mile trips)

I guess I have to expect this after 4 yrs (dead battery). Anyone have good luck with replacement batteries? Anyone try the DieHard made for SUV's? I don't know if I would trust anyone at a Sears place to touch the car.

I won't install it myself, but installation looks like a REAL HASSLE, involving crossbars, and other stuff in the way!

P.S. Maybe I'm getting paranoid, but I don't even trust my own local mechanic anymore. Luckily, as I was watching, I saw his newer mechanic taking air OUT of my tires. I asked, what are you doing? He said, "putting them at 32psi"(they were at fac.recc 35psi). I said "where did you get that number?" He said "that's what I thought it should be". He had no idea that the number is on the door label.

Isn't that why many of the Ford Explorer Firestone tire problems happened? MANY people (and dealers) were under-inflating those tires???

I
    I put Walmart Maxx battery with high cca (1000 and 960) rating and $59 price in my older Buick LeSabre 3+ years ago. Still going great. Has a 7 year/3 year full replacement. They will put in battery free. Guarantee good anywhere you travel and there's a Walmart (maybe even a Sams). If you go for midvalue battery, I'm not so sure on quality variations. I put an Autolite from Advance Auto into a friend's older Civic.
  • gail04gail04 Posts: 51
    Hi folks,

Had a scheduled appt. at dealership today for brake thumping which I mentioned in earlier posts, hard as rock Affinity Tire issues, and yesterday, the a/c shut off on me only to eventually come back on in 99 degrees weather. This appointment, other than the a/c issue, was scheduled by the SERVICE MANAGER, versus ADVISER. I drove 20 miles one way and another 20 back. He was in a MEETING for 4 hours! No one called, no one could help me and so I came home, rather agitated about this situation and the whole Buick Rendez. issue, and feeling so bad, that I bought an 04 w/1500 miles on it. I have now 4000 miles on it and these things shouldn't be happening. The brakes squeal as some of you have also experienced, and the brakes thump all the time. Your suggestions of brake pads, etc., has been very helpful to me. However, I really don't have any faith in this car, given all I've read about its past years history. It's also AWD and I am handicapped on fixed income, and I don't think I'll be able to afford any of the problems listed. The SERVICE MANAGER (I was told) will call me back this afternoon following his meeting. I'll keep you all posted. Thanks for being there. BTW-On my way home, I stopped at Chrysler. They have this PACIFICA, similar to the Rendez in shape and a little longer/wider in body, but I didn't care much for the overall pick up on highway and you could hear the transmission groan just getting around on level ground, let alone hwy.
    Hi.......

I have a "new" 04 Rend. AWD. First summer with it...AC did exact same as yours...shut off on me last night, only had speed number 5. Today, same thing. See my most recent note on the boards about todays failed attempt to have the SERVICE :MANAGER meet with me. Good luck to both of us on this issue. I'll keep you posted. I expect him to call me today and reschedule. :mad:
    Hi, I haven't had this problem yet, thank God, but I was at the dealers for brake issues (squealing breaks at 1500miles and now still going at 4000 miles, a/c which shut off like others posted on speeds 1-4, but worked on #5, and a very hard riding feeling and brake pads that let go....Nice for a new car, hey? Anyway, someone came in with the same issues as you. The car was towed in and the service manager told her that if you don't push the hose all the way into the opening for gas to enter the tank, it creates what was once referred to as "vapor" lock, and screws up the computer. Something else to worry about, because he also said it happens very often. How comforting! :O)
    I make sure to turn my cap until I hear a few clicks, and if someone else pumps it, I always get out and make sure I turn the cap, and hear those clicks. So far, so good. Good luck. Gail
    Hi folks,

Just giving you update. I rec'd call from service manager today (Thursday) apologizing for not making yesterdays appt. after my travels there for an appt. I went today, he took the car out. Tires are Affinities and very hard. He admitted this, but suggested I stay with them. He admitted the ride on the road was very rough. He heard the brakes and the thumping when I turn the steering wheel. Said a pad is probably not working right. The A/c blower which many have complained about here is indeed just that!! He told me speeds 1-4 go out "often" and it's the resister on the unit, supposedly an "easy" fix. He mentioned he can "soften" the suspension or do something to "soften" the ride and I wonder if anyone may have some ideas as to what he may do? This is an 04 AWD. I don't think he can do anything to the suspension, can he? He told me the car can be "raised" higher, and thought maybe this was the problem, but he looked under carriage and found it to already be at the lowest height from the ground, which is still high! :O) Just wanted to update some of you who took the time to offer help and suggestions. He didn't bother to let air out of the tires as he thougth he might. He wants to see how things go with all he wants to do. He will be on vac. next week, and the week after, and asked if I would wait till Aug. 1st so he can be there in the shop to check things out. I agreed to this. So for now, that's my update for you. Maybe something here will be of some help to others. Thanks! gail
  • boysmomboysmom Posts: 4
    wow! "Ditto", that's all I can say. I've asked this same question on a different Buick RDV forum and haven't had any replies. This started for me last summer when I was driving from KC to Dallas. I pulled right into a Firestone Tire and Service Center. Parked my car right in front of the store...ran in for a quick second...came out and my car would not start. Talk about embarrassed. My car was illegally parked and would not start. No re-fueling took place, but I too made several attempts to re start the car and it would crank but never "kick in". The store was closing and the mgr didn't want a stalled car on his lot. They even came out and shot some stuff in the fuel line to clear up any "vapor lock/flooding" issue. Still nothing. After about 25-30 minutes the engine started and ran fine... just like you said. I thought maybe the car was over heated because I ran the car over 80 mph on my last tank. Then back in KC I just went to the Post Office, parked on an incline and boom...in...out...no start...30 minutes...start. Most recently (last week), I drove from KC to Little Rock. Stopped for gas and the same thing happened. People look at you and will even say "hey, your new car shouldn't be doing that". NO KIDDING! On the return home, I had my boys with me and I was scared to death to stop for gas. When I did (at the very last drop), I pulled in, turned the a/c over to heat to draw off some engine heat, let it run idle for a few minutes and checked in with On-Star for a diagnostic before I turned the engine off. On-Star stayed with me while I fueled with the top $ gasoline. I didn't supper fill my tank and turned the gas cap around and around several times. On-Star was still there and my car turned right over. I also made sure I didn't give it a quick key turn. I didn't let go until I heard the engine turn over. I HATE this frustration. I have found that this only happens to me in the hot summer months...July and August '04 and July '05. Hasn't happened any other months. I know this sounds very detailed... but since it worked for me this last time it might help. Since then, it hasn't failed to restart. But I too, would love to hear what others are doing if they are having this problem.
  • jk27jk27 Posts: 244
    We owned a Nissan that used to do this on the hottest days of the summer. Turned out it was a faulty gas cap which was somehow causing a vapor lock to occur. Replaced the gas cap ... voila ... no more starting problems. Maybe try a new gas cap and make sure it clicks at least 5 times when closing it.

2002 Rendezvous CXL here and I have never had this happen. Here in Wisconsin, we've been having a very hot, humid summer -- 80's and 90's with high humidity for weeks now -- no starting problems.

Do you garage your car?
    Your post is interesting. But it needs a paragraph or two to break it up, please?
  • boysmomboysmom Posts: 4
    I also have a 2002 RDV CXL (32k miles) and yes, I do garage my car.

Thank you for sharing your gas cap info. I certainly hope it's something as simple as replacing the cap.

I also have a "whirring" noise that seems to come from the floor area, approximately at the back end of the console. It happens when I turn the steering wheel to park or turn in circles. I've taken it in to the dealership and they said it would go away with new tires. It didn't. I put on nice Michelin LTX tires (the ride is GREAT) but the noise is still there. After reading this forum I don't know if it's something dangerous, annoying or normal. I'm not smart with cars, just gullible.

Also, my apologies for bad grammar. Just wanted to get a lot of info out.
  • ragtop262ragtop262 Posts: 58
    Gail: The squealing brakes is real common & doesn't normally affect performance - its just kind of annoying. However, I would be concerned about the thumping noise you described. That could possibly be something serious - I sure wouldn't wait two weeks to get that checked out. I can't believe he would tell you that a brake pad wasn't working right, then tell you to come back in two weeks !!!

The A/C blower switch shouldn't be a big deal to replace, but again you shouldn't have to wait two weeks.

The thing that really baffles me is the hard ride & "hard tires". I have an '03 AWD, and it is the softest riding vehicle I have ever owned (sometimes actually too soft if your on a twisty section of road). Mine came with Affinity's that I replaced at 58,000 miles. They still had tread left, but had a few cuts in them from running over junk on the road. The original tires performed very well and are reasonably priced, so I decided to replace them with another set of Affinity's. The new ones work just as well as the old ones did. Let me know if you ever figure out what's causing the hard ride - I'm curious because the Rendevous is generally known for its "soft, car-like ride".

PS: Don't give up on the Rendevous because of a handful of horror stories that you read on these boards. There were some issues on the early models (just like most new models do in their first year of production), but most of those have been greatly improved. Other than the '02's, the Rendevous is average to better than average when it comes to frequency of repairs.
    Hi Ragtop!

Thanks for you notes on the rendezvous issues of tires, squealing brakes and gas information. You are right.. The Town/Country, Caravans, etc. did get a little better gas mileage, and yes, mine was just front wheel drive. This is my first "suv" as well as an AWD vehicle. The switch has been difficult for me to adjust to still, but it's only been 3 months. :O) I appreciat your note and JK27's notes, telling me to keep the faith in this car. Not knowing it, the "history" does concern me. Being single and disabled, naturally I think about the expenses and issues that may come to me, given all that is listed. I appreciated reading some good messages here. Have a great day and thank you for your help. I will keep you posted on just what all get done to "soften" the ride. Supposedly there is something "adjustable" on the AWD frame that will soften it...we'll see, but I also agree, having 2 wks to wait is a little unfair. However, this is an appt. with the Service Manager versus an Adviser and he does want to be there. He could've taken the car in on Friday, however he didn't feel he'd have the needed time he wants, to check things out for me. So it's now moved to just one week, on Aug. 1st. Mark your calander to check in, or watch for an update. Thanks again for your help. Gail
  • mnyhats1mnyhats1 Posts: 19
    Hi:

I have a 2002 RDV CX - not AWD. I love it! I was very upset when I had my problems and said I'd never buy another GM unless they helped me. They have come through! Have you checked out the wheel bearings in the rear? I had both front ones go bad and your description fits the sound I was having in the front floor area. Is it like a loud 'hum?' Dealership wanted almost $500 so I went independent for $330. When the second one went (both front) I contacted GM and found that they wouldn't even consider anything unless I went to the dealership which I did. After a lengthy battle, I finally received my refund check for $494.80. You must hang tough if you are dealing with GM. My results came from a district rep that I found through a friend who works in management at GM. Good luck and if it's a wheel bearing or any other safety issue for that matter, I would suggest you go to the NLTS page, check back in some older messages for the website, and report it. Most people with complaints end up here and don't go any further. If there are enough complaints at that site, they eventually consider recall.

Hope this helps... mnyhats :D
  • mnyhats1mnyhats1 Posts: 19
    Hi Jay 14:

I recently had success with GM but only through a district rep who was very kind and said they want all their customers happy! Nice thought but too bad all of the GM folks don't feel this way. At any rate, I'm not sure where you are but you may want to find out the name of your DR and call him. I found mine through a friend who works at GM in management. Too bad we have to use friendships to accomplish something that should be automatic. I love my RDV '02 and have 75,000 already and the only problem has been the wheel bearings which you can read up on in earlier messages. I haven't been 'here' for a long time because I've been waiting for my check from GM which I finally received. Good luck!

mnyhats
    :D
  • Thanks to everyone for their replies. The Dealer said that he had not heard of a problem with not starting after re fueling. They checked with GM Technical Assistance and decided to replace the fuel pump. The paperwork says that they replaced the fuel sensor, so ???

Two days later the car failed to start in a parking lot (no refueling). Tried for over an hour with no luck. Tow Truck operator said he saw this all the time and all we had to do was push the lock button twice and the unlock button twice (on the remote) to reset the security system. He did it and the engine started right up.

That evening we went out for dinner and the car would not start. Tried lock, lock, unlock, unlock with no luck. Two and a half hours later the car was towed to the Dealer where it is waiting for service.

I spoke to the Service Manager who had worked on our car. I shared info from this forum concerning missing BCM connector gaskets and A/C condensate finding its way into the BCM compartment. He wasn't aware of and isn't convinced that they are real problems, but, he listened and agreed to look into them as possibilities as they replace the BCM.

The problem seemed to morph from no start after refueling to no hot re-start. All four times it was very hot and the A/C was going full tilt which would cause lots of condensate.

We love the vehicle. Right now we don't trust it. I'll keep you posted.

Chris
  • jk27jk27 Posts: 244
    Chris:

I'm sorry to hear about your RDV not starting. However, before your dealer becomes too convinced that this is the BCM unit causing your problems, you should read this info, which came straight from GMTechLink:

Although people will blame the BCM for all types of problems, the fact is that BCM's on the Rendezvous do not affect engine cranking, starting or running. From the gmtechlink website (http://gmtechlink.com/index.html)

Rendezvous BCM Replacement

One of the common reasons for replacing the BCM was listed as “no crank, no start.” In nearly all situations on the Rendezvous, the BCM has no function in engine starting. In fact, if the BCM were completely removed from the vehicle, the engine would still start and run (although numerous codes would set!).

TIP: This is not true for all GM vehicles with BCMs. The vehicles share names for components like BCMs but have different functions, depending on the vehicle line. This is a good reason to review the Service Information before performing any diagnostics on a vehicle.

I also found this info on BCM's:

Motorola Body Control Modules (BCM's)

This information applies to the Motorola BCMs used in several GM vehicle lines:
    - Chevrolet Impala/Monte Carlo
    - Pontiac Aztek/Buick Rendezvous
    - Chevrolet Equinox

TIP: A microprocessor condition that affected early BCMs was corrected during the 2003 model year, beginning with p/n GMAN169 (Impala/Monte Carlo) and GMAN410C (Aztek/Rendezvous). Any BCM with a higher part number contains the microprocessor improvement. The Equinox, a newer vehicle, never had the earlier microprocessor.

Based on the history of these earlier control modules, technicians consider BCM replacement as the appropriate remedy for a number of customer concerns and vehicle conditions. However, with the improved microprocessor, this is not often the case. Analysis shows that almost 75% of BCMs replaced under warranty have no trouble found (NTF) ... In the following tables, you will learn which systems the BCM directly controls, the systems with which the BCM has an interaction, and the systems with which the BCM has no interaction. As you can see, these lists vary considerably between vehicle lines.

Aztek/Rendezvous BCM

Directly Controls
    - Door Locks
    - Interior/Exterior Lights
    - Power Mode Master
    - Battery Rundown Protection
    - Electrical Power Management
    - Security/Alarm (Content Theft Deterrent only)
    - RAP Relay
    - Fog Lamps (Aztek only)
    - Personalization Features
    - BTSI (MY03+)
    - Reverse Lights (MY03+)

Interaction
    - Radio - Theftlock, RAP
    - Cluster - Some Indicators
    - A/C - PPEI
    - Cooling Fan - PPEI
    - Rear Park Assist – Chime (Rendezvous only)
    - RFA – X Link
    - SDM -- Store p/n
    - MemorySeats - Personalization
    - Power Windows – RAP
    - Sunroof - RAP

No interaction
    - Wipers
    - Engine Cranking/ Starting/ Running
    - HUD head up display
    - Mirrors

Bottom line: the BCM has NOTHING to do with engine cranking, starting or running. You may need a new BCM for other reasons, but it should not affect (or improve) starting. Hope this helps.
  • 97xj97xj Posts: 1
    I have the same issue...

For the last 2 weeks in Michigan we have had high 80’s and low 90’s and this is what our 2002 CXL AWD RDV is doing.

Wednesday (7/21) night stalls in driveway. Sits for 2 hours and starts right up

Thursday (7/22) (dies on wife while driving down road) It went to the dealership on the hook and they said that it was a clogged fuel filter. $170 for towing $95 parts and labor

Thursday night (7/22) on the way home form dealership. Dies at gas station will not restart for 30 minutes...I have 3 year, 4 year old and family dog with me.

Friday (7/23) I have it idle in driveway with AC cranked for 30 minutes dies and will not start.... after sitting for 60 minutes it is fine again.

Monday (7/25) Dealer says it is a bad fuel pump. Please give me $700.
  • nidgenidge Posts: 18
    I have been wondering, if anyone has found out why after 30.000 miles, the ride really gets bad. At about 28,000 miles my 2003 RDV started to ride very bad. I decided that the tires (Affinity- OEM ) were getting old and dry. Replaced them with new set Of Uniroyal Larado tires. The ride is just as bad. Even tried taking out some air but no difference. Today, I took it into the dealer and he put it up on the hoist. After looking the car over, I was told that everything is fine. Does anyone have any suggestions? The whle car is beginning to rattle apart. It is becomming a $30,000.00 rattletrap. Thanks in adavance. :(
  • netnerdnetnerd Posts: 117
    Hi,

I'm an owner of "the dreaded '02 Rendezvous". ;-) Actually, mine has been pretty problem-free. I *did* have the BCM replaced early in my first year of ownership (I'll have owned it 4 years in October). My air conditioner condensor was replaced, as well. Amazingly (after reading page after page of posts about the problem) my wheel bearings have not yet had to be replaced. No other real problems with the car, though, and I still love it!

My question is this: when GM replaces the BCM or the air conditioner condensor, is it being replaced by a part that doesn't have whatever problem caused it to fail to begin with? For instance, since GM seems to know that something is wrong with the A/C condensor (based on the number of people who've had it replaced--the day I took mine in another person was there getting it done, and the GM advisor guy said it was a problem they were aware of), do they replace it with one that shouldn't have the same problem?

Judging by the people who've had bearings replaced multiple times, it sounds like it isn't always the case, but I'm hoping that when they know a problem exists--even if they won't admit it in public or contemplate a recall--do they start using a part that won't have the problem?

The post of the BCM info from the GM techlink seems to indicate that--at least with that issue--they started using BCMs that won't be affected by whatever the problem was.

As I said, I have been quite happy with my Rondy, but from reading all the posts here (and I realize most people don't post when they are satisfied), it really *does* seem like there are some serious issues with certain parts that GM used.

Why hasn't a law firm been approached about a class action suit? With all the people posting on this forum alone, it seems like there'd be a good chance that we'd win.
  • afmarkafmark Posts: 7
    I have had the same problem although refueling doesn't enter into the problem. I live in Maine and have not had this problem during the "cool" months, but as soon as the temp rose the problems started. In all cases, the car had been running for an hour or two with the air on. I would shut off the car, and when I returned 10-15 minutes later it would not start. This has happened 3 times so far and I'm sure it will occur again. I have contacted Buick but have had no luck so far. The codes are "key in ignition circuit malfunction", "loss of communication with power train control module" and "loss of Class II communication with ABS". In addition, I had to replace both front wheel bearings at 43,000 miles at a cost of almost $800. I'm not a happy camper!

My question is - what is NLTS?