Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Buick Rendezvous Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• We received a recall notice today! We will be getting rear ball joints absolutely free. I can't believe it. Maybe all of our negative posts on this site are being read after all. Now, if they would just claim responsibility for the starting problem, A/C, BCM etc............. :I am happy though- it's a start.Good for you GM.lemon:
  • bigowlbigowl Posts: 3
    The service manager at my local Buick dealership told me he does not know for sure what causes the differential moaning, but thinks it is accumulation of wear particles on the clutch plates in the differential. That is why flushing will stop the noise. He said it is expensive because it has to be done twice, with five minutes of tight turning in both directions between flushes. He said GM originally recommended changing the module, but now says to just do the flush. Does anyone have a number at GM or Buick Motor Div. that I can call (or an email address) to ask what is really going on here? My guy says it may last two years before needing it again. Good luck to me on that.
  • UPDATE:
    I took my 2006 Rendezvous back to the dealer for the 2nd time with this issue and they kept it overnight, last time they had it more than a week and sent it home saying it was fixed. Then yesterday I got a call telling me to come and pick it up because GM had issued a bulletin stating not to fix it. Yes, you heard that right. I have a brand new vehicle and GM sent it home with me. It would be different if it wasn't a safety issue, like a radio didn't work or something. But this is my GAS GAUGE! I have no idea how much gas I have in my tank. And sure shouldn't have to measure how much I use in a log for a brand new car. They gave me a copy of the bulletin I will type it in below since they didn't make it readily available for anyone to search online.
    SUBJECT: The Fuel Gauge Fluctuates - cluster erratic intermittent IPC
    Models: 2006 Buick Rendezvous 3.5L
    The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI
    Condition/Concern:
    A number of fuel tank sending units have been returned to the Warranty Parts Center (WPC) for fuel gauge fluctuation concern, with no trouble found.
    Recommentation/Instructions:
    Engineering is investigating this fuel gauge concern with the 3.5 LX9 engines. This concern will address fuel gauge fluctuation concerns for customers who typically park their vehicle on an incline. Should normal diagnostics fail to identify a concern, DO NOT REPLACE ANY PARTS for thsi concern at this time. This PI be updated or a bulletin will be published when a fix becomes available.
    Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completeing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.
    Document ID# 1 8 4 0 0 5 8
    Ok.. so in the mean time I drive a broken vehicle. If I run out of gas on the side of the road, GM better send the President to come pick me up. My salesman actually told me it might be best to get an attorney because he has never seen GM issue a statement like this. He mentioned the lemon law :lemon: . But don't you have to have it in the shop a certain number of times to get a vehicle replaced? And if GM issued a statement not to work on these vehicles they kind of just created a loop hole for themselves huh? :cry:
  • ray80ray80 Posts: 1,299
    Hhmm looking at the doc from different eyes (since I don't have the problem) it looks like they are acknowledging the problem, but don't have a fix for it yet. It doesn't help you but at least they won't go throwing parts in that won't solve the problem, resulting in lost time and effort for both you and dealer.
  • Yeah, I understand that. But if you look back on other forums it looks like this has been a problem with more than just the 2006. I reported the problem as soon as I got the car. And it seems others have been reporting it since the 2006's were released. So the only question will be... If it took this long for them to aknowledge the problem, how long and much effort is being put into a solution I suppose. It's a game of wait and see for now. But I am not playing nicely for long.
  • Just had my 04 AWD in for service. It was making a slight squeal on left turns. It turns out that this was break pads making the squeal even though the break was not being pressed. Dealer said that pads need to be replaced, which was fair enough, but also that rotors needed to be replaced as well. I disputed the fact the rotors would wear out before any real signal that break pads were needing replacement. After our discussion, dealer agreed with my put of view and put through the rotors as a goodwill warranty.
    Also when I was in, it seems that there is a recall notice just going out to replace the rear ball joints. Perhaps this will fix the noise that most Rendezvous owners seem to notice. Ball Joints were replaced and everything is fine.

My 04 Rendezvous has about 44,000kms on it.
  • bigowlbigowl Posts: 3
    I agree with ray80's comments about not throwing parts at the problem, but it is a little scary when they say "Engineering" is looking at the problem. Unless they have a special "quick fix" engineering group, it may take a long while. The typical engineering fix is to determine the cause of the problem, then redesign a part, get the parts manufactured, distribute them to the dealers, issue the repair bulletins, etc. etc. All that can take months. Maybe you will get lucky and it will just be an adjustment.
  • I had my cluster replaced under warranty for the fuel gauge and it seems to much more accurate, I no longer have a half tank of gas for ever and then drop quickly. good luck with yours.
  • esw4esw4 Posts: 1
    My wife and I just bought a 2004 RDV CXL with 35000 miles 6 weeks ago. During the test drive we notice the steering was not right. Salesman said it needs balancing and alignment.
    The RDV has a pull in the steering, when you make a right turn and return to center it pull to the right. It also does the same with left turn which ever turn you make last is the direction that it pulls. The RDV has been sitting at the Buick dealership in the service dept. for the past 3 weeks and they have NO clue on how the fix the problem. The dealership has called for engineer but as for a date of his arrival a week or two. If someone has expirenced this same issues, I appreciate any information.
  • Sounds like it was in an accident. Are you sure it isn't one of those that has been written off, then re-sold? Scary
  • jk27jk27 Posts: 244
    They have to check all of the common suspects. Alignment (front and rear), tires (balancing and inflation pressures), suspension, etc. It's still under warranty, so don't let them give it back to you if it's not fixed. Steering is definitely a safety issue. If they can't fix it, let them know you'd consider a reasonable buyout. Have you considered a lemon law claim? I had to do this with an Isuzu Rodeo that wouldn't steer straight and kept veering to the side of the road if you took your hands off the wheel.

Keep on them!
  • I personally think this bulletin just protects themselves. That way they can say they are "working on it." For how long is anybody's guess. As long as they can get by doing nothing, that's exactly what they will do most likely. I keep my tank above half a tank consistently so I don't have the problem of running out of gas. Should I have to do that? No, but I don't think GM will be coming to my rescue if I do run out of gas, so in that way I am protecting myself. The gas gauge problem is an annoyance. I don't like having that problem on a new car, especially when everyone I know told me "save yourself some headaches and just get a Toyota or Honda or something, they are better cars." I decided to give GM a chance. Then I have a problem with the gas gauge and the battery right from the get go. That's not a good sign in a new car and everyone who told me not to buy a Buick has been telling me "I told you so." I have owned Nissans and Hondas for 25 years and never had a problem with their new cars - not one! Having problems with the Buick this early in the game does not look good. But, I do like my Rendezvous very much. The battery was replaced (they said it had a bad cell in it) and so far, so good. It does still show signs of a problem when starting now and then, but so far it turns over and hasn't left me stranded anymore. The other problem is the gas gauge problem, which I took it in for and for which the dealership told me they didn't detect a problem. They told me the design of the gas tank was the cause of it. I guess we all need to make sure we have extended warranties just in case the car continues to have problems down the road. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it won't, because I do love my car.
  • Well, today we took the 2002 in for the recall on rear ball joints. We are really happy about that recall as it's an expensive fix if we had to do it. Now, we have another problem- just started few days ago. The fuel gauge is going crazy!You can sit and watch it go from a 1/4 to full and back again. If you rock the car it goes even faster. Has anyone had this pro :lemon: lem & how did you fix it, and how expensive was it??? Help!!
  • jk27jk27 Posts: 244
    macpherson posted that Buick sent him/her a rear ball joint recall notice for the 2002 RDV. I have a 2002 RDV and I haven't received any such notice (nor have I noticed any problems with the rear ball joint). Did anybody else get this?

macpherson, what type of 2002 RDV do you own? I have a 2002 AWD CXL -- no recall notice. Also, did you experience any problems specifically related to the ball joint?

Thanks.
  • clm51clm51 Posts: 9
    I was wondering about a recall also. In fact, did a search on the Internet and can't find anything about such a recall. My Rendezvous is a 2002 and the only notice I have received in 4 years was a recall on the rear latch assembly and recently something concerning wheel bearings. Which after reading it I didn't think that since mine had not been replaced during a certain time frame that I was not going to benefit in any way.
  • jdksjdks Posts: 42
    I have received two other recall notices in addition to the bearing recall. One of them is the rear ball joint and the other one it just mentioned recall #####. Hope this help.
    Hhmm I'm not sure if its officialy a recall or a special fix it thing. Every one I've heard of so far that got the notice is in Canada and since its seems to imply salt being culprit in degrading seals it may be more prevelant in the snowy north. On the RDV side I think it would apply to all of them since they all have the independant suspension in rear, on the Pontiac side only the AWD versions would be involved.
  • In Canada,here,I got one about two weeks ago.If you owned the vehicle since new,they should have your address.Maybe your dealer can help,as this is an across the board RECALL,and an otherwise expensive fix.Did you get the wheel bearing notice?
  • I had both bearings replaced at 62,500 and submitted the recipts to Buick after getting their letter. I was denied, but am trying to write a letter documenting the other problems along with the bearing that were taken care of at the time -- namely AC Condensor, bad wiring in the tailgate, blown rear wiper motor, and fan blower resistor.

Has anyone had any sucess getting the wheel bearings replaced at no cost just after 60K?
  • Hi, just purchased a 2005 RDV CXL with the XM radio and Nav. However, we have found that there is EXTREMELY poor reception for the AM stations. When doing a search, the radio will only find 1 AM station. My other cars would find the dozen or so local AM stations... Anyone else come across this problem and how it was fixed? Car is still under warranty for another year.
  • lane2lane2 Posts: 28
    Want to replace original 215-70-16 with larger/wider tires and stay with 16 inch wheels. Getting conflicting answers from tire dealers concerning what will work without causing error with speedometer and/or causing a problem with the brakes. Tire size calculator shows that a 235-65-16 or a 255-50-16 will both be within .4 mph or the originals. Has any of you gone to a larger/wider tire and if so, what was the outcome. I am interested in getting the softest riding tire with reasonable wear rating.
  • lane2lane2 Posts: 28
    I made a mistake on what tire calculator showed. It showed a 235-65-16 and a 255-60-16 (not 255-50-15) as being within .4 mph of original tires. Would appreciate any help.
  • asraasra Posts: 1
    I bought my RDV 2003 on 7/5/2006. On 10/5/2006 with 51000 miles, I started to here a grinding in the front of the car. Took it back to deacon jones(a buick dealer) i bought it from. Estimate of 3000 dollars for a transmission. I said "i would pick it up." They called back and said it would only be 1600 dollars est? I picked the car up & paid a great transmission guy 2300 dollars. The trans had a stripped shaft, multiple broken clutch plates and broken chains. Has anyone else had this problem?
  • netnerdnetnerd Posts: 117
    So did you not go with the lower Deacon Jones estimate because it seemed like they were trying to rip you off?
  • I was just told today that they found metal in my transmission. My 2003 Buick RenedezVous has 60,000 miles on it? Is this normal?
    Hopefully someone with more knowledge will reply, but I don't think its all that unusual to find some metal shavings when doing tranny fluid change. If I remember correctly, some os ok, a lot might indicate trouble.
  • $1500 surprise. The spedo went crazy and had a hard time shifting. Idled great and if held speed steady was ok. Deceleration was fine. Planetary gears shot. No warning at all. Only problem, 9 months out of warrantee (sp?). I've looked back and only seen 2002'a with similar problems. Do I have any recourse? Been a GM fan all my life but my 04 Malibu has been in the shop 9 times and now this. GM may not be in the future for us. OUCH!
  • serenseren Posts: 1
    Hi Everyone,

Noticed this morning that my lights weren't as bright when I went to unlock my Rendezvous. The alarm wasn't quite as chipper when I set it. The engine turned right over but there is a whirring noise when I turn accessories on and off. The vehicle has 41K miles on it. Any ideas on what the problem could be?
  • ang31ang31 Posts: 2
    I was told the same thing and eventually had a new transmission put in. I was only around $50,000 miles. About 7,000 miles later I feel like it's not driving the same.
  • I NEED YOUR HELP!!!! I have an 2004 buick Rendezvous that will not play or eject my CDs. Everything worked fine last night.