Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Buick Rendezvous Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• jk27jk27 Posts: 244
    That's good news.

"But we really shouldn't have to fight this hard, should we?" I definitely had to fight hard when I filed my lemon law claim against a ... gasp ... Japanese company. Yes, I won and yes, my Buick is MUCH more reliable than that vehicle was.

Have a good week.
  • mack2099mack2099 Posts: 5
    We have had problems with the AC on our 2003 RDV since we bought it new (well as a demo with 5,000 mi.). The AC is fine one minute and then it will cycle warmer for no reason and in a few minutes it becomes warm inside. It may blow warmer for a while and then suddenly get cool or stay warm for days. We have asked that this be checked at least 5 times when in for service and always get the argument that they find nothing wrong that the temp. they get is 50 degrees! Now that warm weather is here again, we're starting all over again with the same problem. Anyone else experienced this??? Also, the dealer we bought from uses free tires for life as a big sales gimmic. The only catch is you have to have your vehicle serviced every 3,000 miles and tires rotated every 6,000 at the dealership. Of course the salesman said if you go over a reasonable amount its no big deal. Well of course when you ask for the new tires you find if you haven't stuck to the schedule exactly--no tires. Of course its impossible to stick to this exact schedule unless you have service done more often and before its necessary and then in the long run you end up paying more than if you bought your own tires! If you raise enough stink, the dealer will usually split the cost with you--big deal! Another thing is that now that the vehicle has a little over 35,000 miles, every time we go in for service, there's another $200-300 maintenance recommendation that you "really need to have done" or you will soon have major problems. The last two included "fuel system maintenance" at $275. The next time it was transmission maintenance at $300. At this rate, seems like we'd be better off to gamble on a major problem--would probably be cheaper. Any advice on this--I don't know enough about it to argue with them!!!!!!!!!! To top it off, the rear view mirror just fell off yesterday and the cig. lighter (just used to charge cell phone) disintegrated when charger was removed!!!!! Also, every time we hit a pothole, the check engine and low tire pressure lights come on and wont go off till we go to dealer and have them reset!! These minor problems are becoming a major headache!! Sorry this is so long--Thanks for your help.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 18,046
    > against a ... gasp ... Japanese company.
    Which Japanese company was treating you badly?
    "Which Japanese company was treating you badly?"

It starts with an "I" and ends with a "u" :lemon:
  • jdksjdks Posts: 42
    I believe they are partly owned by GM and here in Canada some of their showrooms are integrated within GM products' showroom...
    The dealer I purchased that vehicle at sold both Hondas and Isuzus. Honda and Isuzu had an arrangement whereby Honda would rebadge Isuzu Rodeos as Honda Passports and Isuzu would rebadge the Honda Odyssey as an Isuzu Oasis. I do not recall reading anything where GM and Isuzu have any partnership, but it certainly is possible.
  • My wife & I purchased a used '02 CX in Feb. this year...43k when bought, we have had it in for an oil consumption problem after documenting the use of 1qt of oil per 1000 miles! The dealer with the GM rep's request replaced the rings, seats and guides to the upper head! No cylinder damage was indicated.(thank God!) This was covered under a GM 'alert' for the 3.3 motor!

Now I am experiencing and 'getting louder' road hum basically in the right front.51Kmiles... The service tech told me it could be a wheel hub! I rotated,balanced the tires,(new when purchased) and aligned the vehicle...
    Still have the hum turninig into a buzz! Could it be the wheel hubs? Any previous history of these going back at 50K miles? We are looking at $300-400 per wheel to fix this! I'm ready to sell!
    Helpful remarks would be appreciated... Hoosierbri!
  • regalluvr2regalluvr2 Posts: 114
    hoosierbri,
    Yes,I'm afraid some RDV's have a history of wheel bearing and hub failures.Just go back 5-6 pages on this forum to read lots more about this problem.Most go the 1st time at 40-60,000 miles but some happen earlier.I'd sure get this problem looked in to quickly as its a safety issue if they are going bad.

Good luck and I hope you have an extended warranty.
  • Boy... what great detail especially since I am having those same problems. My 2002 RDV is 5 weeks out of warranty but the dealer said they will cover it now... probably because I knew exactly what the issues where and told him that.

Thanks again.

Has anyone tried adding a towing hitch to their RDV? If so, how did it work and where did you buy it?
  • tablescapetablescape Posts: 18
    I added a tow hitch on my 2005 rdv, It is for a tule bike rack, I had it put on at a place call Kauffenburger's, I don't know if it is just local or not, they do work mostly on big trucks. I was afraid it would be ugly but it looks very nice. The brand of hitch is Curt.
  • rewe538rewe538 Posts: 2
    My 02 rendezvous is in the shop right now. They're telling me the communication between the BCM and the PCM is not working so it wont tell my AC to go on. The AC works (I had to have the condensor replaced last Oct!) They're still doing diagnostics on it, they're not sure what exactly is wrong. Before i have to pay anouther couple hunderd dollars - what exactly was wrong with your BCM ? maybe its similar to mine and you can help me out?

thanks!
  • rewe538rewe538 Posts: 2
    I had the same problem on my 02 and had to have the condensor replaced also in Oct 04. I was outside of my warranty so had to pay for it all. I'm very disappointed with this vehicle.
  • kennedy1kennedy1 Posts: 2
    It's funny you posted this today. I just got a call from the car dealer on my 02 Rendezvous and he said the condenser was shot. Not only is the warranty done, my extended warranty apparently doesn't cover it either. The dealership is telling me they want $925 for it. In looking online it looks like the part is about $350, so unless it's in a tough place to install, I'll probably look elsewhere to have it repaired.
    kennedy1,
    Try and make GM pay for it.Dont give in without a fight.GM knows they have a problem but will try and make you pay for it.JK27 that posts on here got them to pay for his AC condensor after it was out of warranty.Its well known that many Buick RDV AC condensors have failed.I see it mentioned all the time on the internet.Earlier this year I was at a huge Buick dealer here in the midwest and a salesman admitted to me that it was a major problem on lots of RDV's they have sold.There are something like (66) dealer service bulletins out for Buick RDV's and the AC condensor is one of them.

Check out this post from today on the regular Edmunds Buick RDV forum.

3955 of 3956 Re: my problems [buickrdv02] by buickrdv02 Jun 09, 2005 (2:58 pm)
    Reply | E-mail Msg

A/C was checked today and leaking from the condensor, which needs replacing. Bad news it is $1100 CDN. I told them to wait a few hours for me to decide what to do. I called back and they said it was likely covered under a warranty for 4 or 5 yrs from date of manufacture for that part because of some service bulletin. Will keep everyone posted so they too don't have to pay, if I didn't. Here's crossing my fingers, as they are going ahead with the repair based on that infromation that it won't cost me. Who knows though, the labour just might.

Good Luck!!I wonder why your extended warranty wouldnt cover the AC condensor?
  • atstpieratstpier Posts: 1
    Thanks for the tip. I have a 3 year old 45k miles Rendez that is outside of the warranty period. The AC condenser went bad and the dealer wanted $950 to fix. I gave him your theory and he acted like he had never heard of such a thing. I called Buick, and they ended up resolving the matter by having the dealership fix it and bill me a $100 deductible.

What was interesting was that the dealership would not give me the Buick customer service number. I had to find it myself. I won't return to my dealership, but I will use the Buick customer service line again.
  • kennedy1kennedy1 Posts: 2
    Glad to hear you had success. I also gave the same info this morning and was told that while a service bulletin is issued, it doesn't mean the dealership needs to do anything about it because it is not a safety recall. He also said the dealerships don't have the authority to make the decision to fix it with just a minimal deductible. He said he would speak to his manager to see what he can do. That was at 9am CST this morning and I still haven't heard anything, but will take it as a good sign that he didn't call right back and say there was nothing that could be done.

In the meantime, I called my husband's mechanic to see what he would charge for an OEM replacement, afterall, if the GM part went bad once at double the cost of an OEM part and it's only covered for one year, why wouldn't I look to save some money. He looked it up and told me it is a known issue and that there have been a large number of issues reported nationally. He said that the lower corner of the condenser was mounted too tight and it is eventually shifting and causing it to punch a hole or leak, requiring the condenser to be replaced.

If they won't fix it with a minimal deductible, I'll have to get the customer service number from you.
    Check out what GM of Canada is doing on 2002 RDV AC condensors.IF GM of Canada can do it then GM here in the states should be offering the same deal.If not I'd be asking why?Lots of Buick dealers arent going to volunteer any information and will try and and stick the customer with the bill.They make more money this way than on warranty work.The post below is from the regular Edmunds RDV forum.

#3958 of 3958 Re: Air Conditioner Condensor: Paid for by Buick even though out of warranty [lenfish] by buickrdv02 Jun 10, 2005 (3:28 pm)
    Reply | E-mail Msg

OK here's the deal I got today. If your condensor on the A/C is gone for a 2002 model and you have lees than 4 years from date of manufacture and less than 80,000km, it is 100% covered. YOU DON"T PAY!! If tthe car is over 80,000KM and less than 5 years you split the bill. Hope this helps, and if you already paid, I would go back and request a refund, as it is part of their goodwill warranty now.
    Thank Goodness I have cold air again!
  • robp63robp63 Posts: 1
    so where do you get the customer service #
    The GM customer service phone # is always in your owners manual.Lots of people dont seem to know this.Just find the section on Customer Assistance Information.Since our problem plagued 2002 Buick CXL RDV is gone I got this number out of our 2000 Buick Regal LS owners manual.

Only call these numbers after you have given up on your local Buick dealer doing anything for you.Just because your RDV is out of factory warranty doesnt mean Buick wont help you on parts that shouldnt be breaking on low mileage vehicles.They count on people to not push the issue.Sometimes the squeakey wheel gets the grease.

1-800-521-7300 U.S.

1-800-263-3777 Canada

They will want to know your vehicles VIN number,dealers name and location,vehicle delivery date,and mileage.

If you wish to write here is the address.

Buick Customer Relations Center
    P.O. Box 5039
    Troy,MI 48007-5039
  • tablescapetablescape Posts: 18
    I have had my new RDV 2005 in the shop for the last week, I take my loaner down pick my baby up and the gas hand is still not working so I turn around and take it back. The outside temp is all over the place from 105 when it is 60 outside to 76 when it is 90 like today, now the air doesn't seem cold? Is anyone else having this problem, I love my new Ultra and hate to add one more complaint to this web site, but I guess that is what this is for trying to figure out problems. It is such a wonderful car I hate being without it. Is there some kind of computer problem with the 2005s? Thanks