Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Buick Rendezvous Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• another sore spot that causes the fuel gage porblem is there is a connector that goes through the floor board on the driver side rear passenger area. i think its connector C305 it carries the speed sensor, and fuel guage wires from outside to the inside. and these are common for corrosion. its on my aztek fan club website this guy disected it and replaced wires pugged it back in and cured his fuel gauge level problem.its a pice that attaches to the car and i think a harness junction which has harnesses that plug into it from the outside and the inside .
  • ray80ray80 Posts: 1,238
    In general I would think a bad sensor would be more consistant with the light staying on. I think I would check tire pressures first, then be thinking about possible loose/corroded connection to wheel sensor (as opposed to sensor itself)
  • jpiercejpierce Posts: 49
    Thanks Ray - I pumped the tires up the first I say the indicator. This did not help. However, I did notice one thing upon start-up the engine lagged (battery power low). And the indicator only came on when this engine lag took place. I am thinking it may have something to do with that. The car has been sitting for a bit and the battery is getting old (6 years) and the static vottage is 12.5 did not have anyone around to help me see what it is under load, but I do know a good static battery reads 13 volts or a little higher. After taking the car for a run the indicator never came on and the car never lagged at start-up (battery charged up from running). I will keep the corroded leads under consideration though since this appears to be problem when a car starts getting on in years. I will taking the car in soon for service so I will have the mechanic have a look at the leads. :D

Thanks

JP
    Hhmm well it may have something to do with battery charge also. The electronics can be pretty sensitive to voltage problems (can cause other troubles also).
  • moveemovee Posts: 1
    2 Days ago on my way into work I noticed my AWD Diabled Indicator light came on, not sure what the heck it meant I asked my husband & he took it to the dealership we purchased it from the next day. The dealership told us something about a valve leaking or sticking effecting the rear differential something & it is costing me $600 to get fixed! They told me that I shouldn't be driving it until it's fixed or I'll make the problem worse, but really can't afford to have it fixed at this time. I have been searching the web for any kind of advice/help & found your message on this & couldn't help but to ask - did you get your problem corrected? Did it cost you that much to fix? Do you have any suggestions for me before I turn it loose to the dealership to fix? Thank you!
  • Is there any printed procedure on changing the rear 3 spark plugs that can be emailed or linked to? Or, can somebody explain the procedure if they have done it on an '04 RDV CXL.
    Could Buick have made it any more difficult to get to them??

Thanks
    Joe
  • Sorry, I dont have intsructions. This is the whole reason a simple tune up @ GM is $450. Apparently you have to remove all the items above the plugs to get to them.

Good Luck!
  • I just replaced the spark plugs on my '03 RDV CXL. The trick is to remove the plugs from underneath the vehicle. Before you start, make sure the engine is cold. If the engine is hot/warm, you will burn your arm and could damage the spark plug threads.

Jack the vehicle up, crawl underneath and access the rear plugs by sticking your hand up next to exhaust pipe. Since your hand will be in the vicinity of the oxygen sensor, be careful not to damage the oxygen sensor wires. Next, twist the spark plug boot to loosen it before removal. I used spark plug boot pliers (OEM #25542) I picked up at AutoZone to remove the boots. Try to clean the spark plug recess area as best you can with compressed air before removing the plug. Then, use a flex-head ratchet with a long handle to remove the old plug. I used a Craftsman #42794 fine-tooth ratchet with a 5/8" spark plug socket on a 3-inch extension. When installing the new plug, hand tighten the plug with the socket and extension first before tightening 1/16" turn with the ratchet. Be careful when tightening the plug since the cylinder heads are aluminum. The service manual says to tighten the plugs 15 N-m (11 ft-lb), but good luck getting a torque wrench in there.

Note that the service manual has you take the top engine struts off and rotate the engine forward to access the rear plugs. I tried this, but still could not access the rear plugs from the top.
  • Our car is at dealer and mechanic can't understand what is causing our mirrors to move while the car's motor is turned off. First the passenger mirror began acting up, moving back and forth and making a noise until someone noticed it and came into a restaurant to tell us about it and then three weeks later the driver side mirror did the same thing. We are concerned that we may park it at night and have a dead battery the next morning. When we started the car both times the mirror "settled down". Also, from time to time the gas gauge goes a little crazy but eventually quits and is okay. The mechanic says if we can find any info on the mirrors it would help as they have never had the problem before with the rendezvousand of course, they can't get the mirrors to do anything. Any suggestions? They will have the car until Fri. evening.
  • Sounds like your in need of an exorcism. Other than that i dont have a clue.
  • When I try to start the car, it makes a strange noise and the gauges and messages flash and click on and off. Sometimes the car starts, and sometimes it acts like a bad battery. I replaced the battery and it still does it. The clock on the radio occasionally resets to 12:00 after turning the key back on. A few days ago, it stalled in traffic with the overheating message coming on. The temp gauge went way up to hot then back down to normal within seconds. Any ideas or similarities? It's a 2003. Also have ABS and AWD lights on when I hit bumps.
    Sounds like battery cable connection problem, either corroded or broken. If it turns over slowly I would tend to suspect connection at battery. If it turns over ok but has trouble starting, I would look at connection to underhood fuse box (loose or corroded). For the ABS and AWD warning lights, I would try to correct the other electrical problem first to see if they go away then if they don't I would be looking at connections to wheel sensors for loose/ corroded/ or broken wires. If you were to get it scanned for those light, it will most likely point to sensor problem and first suggestion would be to replace hub assembly, but I would really be taking a close look at wiring first.
  • It wouldn't be the body control module like everyone else is talking about?
    Well it could be, but from what you are describing it doesn't sound like it to me. For one thing the BCM doesn't have any direct connection to starting vehicle.

Oh, and for the overheating trouble the fact that it did stall would make me think it was really hot (not false indicaters), perhaps the thermostat got stuck closed for a bit.
  • I also have an 05 RDV I have the same problem with mine stalling or completely dying when coming to a slow speed or making a slow turn .I've taken my to the dealer 3 or 4 times thay cant find any codes or have no Idea what is wrong with it. I loose all power it just dies on me that is a very bad safety hazard because I had a semi behind me at one time when I was turning it was all i could do to try and steer it out of the way,thank goodness it was a slope that i had turned onto,and no one got hurt it was early morning traffic.The dealer does not think that mine is the ignition they have no idea.I told them that if I have a wreck because of this the blame would be put on their shoulders.Mind dosent do it every day it just happens out of the blue with no warning.Im scared to death everytime i get into : it ive had mine for 1 1/2 yrs. now.needless to say i want to trade it in but i dont want the next person to have this problem, I would like to know if anyone else is having this problem
  • cruzakcruzak Posts: 11
    I want to try tire rotation myself but Im not sure where to place my jack stand, front and back. Can anyone share illustrations on the proper place. Thank you
  • I recently purchased a 2002 Buick Rendezvous CX AWD. Now that it is getting colder, it has started making a small thumping noise (seemingly from the front passenger side). It happened once when I started it (I think) and a few times when I put it into gear.

I'm not too familiar with AWD vehicles, so my question is... is this the sound an AWD makes as it locks the hubs (does it lock the hubs)? Or, is this something worse?

Thanks!
    The VERSATRAK system shouldn't make any noise at all and ONLY gets engaged when moving and system detects slippage on one or both front wheels. You only hear the noise when at standstill?
  • I'm going to have to pay more attention again. I think it has only been at a standstill. Also, it doesn't happen every time. I'll add to this ASAP.
  • I have 02 CXL 267K. Just about everything replaced. The only noise I get when I start is the compressor for the inflation pump in the rear compartment. Thumping when switching into gear sounds tranny related.
  • I have seen a few messages from others sharing woes about their rendevous. I am at the end of my patience with mine. My husband and I bought the suv 3 almost 4 years ago used and for awhile had no problems. Since my husband deployed 11 months ago, the rendevous has been in the shop 6 times!. The first was to replace the head gasket. Then a fuel gauge that kept reading full when the tank was empty. That resulted in a replacment fuel tank because I noticed it was leaking when I brought it home. Then the fuel pump needed to be replaced. I had the 60,000 mile tune up done 5 months ago and now it is in the shop because the transmission is blown and one of the computre chips is fried. I can only thank God that we bought the extended warranty with the vehicle and that all I have paid is the deductible. The warranty company is not happy though. I know this is not normal wear and tear and I know that I have not done anything extreme with this vehicle. I want to know if anyone else has had problems like these and if anyone knows of any recalls on rendevous other than the one about the rear hatch. Thanks :confuse:
  • There was another recall on wheel bearings but only if you were under 100k KM (60k miles). My bearings have been done 3 times each side. Just wait until the manifold rusts out (if you live in an area that salts the roads in the winter). Also Torque tube (awd) will fail & power steering will groan constantly. Approx another $5k in repairs. You only have just over 60k Miles on her so my advice is to dump it & hopefully you can use the ext warranty as a selling point. Take the loss & move on... :lemon: :lemon: :lemon:
  • No salt on the roads here. Are deep in the south in Georgia. Have 74,600 on the car and only 400 miles to go til the warranty is gone. The dealership where we bought it has another warranty for $1900 for 2 years or 30,000 mile more, but it does not cover what the mastertech warranty that we have on it nowdoes. As for the power steering groaning, already doing that in tight turns. Maybe I should have that fixed alog with everything else now and rally drive the warranty company nuts!
  • An oil leak had dribbled some oil into the conduit that the ABS harness is in, and I am told that the oil surrounding the wire caused the signal going to the ABS computer to vary (due to resistance), activating the AWD. After cleaning the harness off, the problem went away! go figure :confuse:
  • tdaustin27,
    Sorry to hear of all your problems.Just go back to page 1 on here and start reading forward.You will see every problem known to mankind with the 2002 Buick RDV's.When you get a bad one theres just no end to the problems.At least your wheel bearings havent gone bad yet,

Lots of us licked our wounds and dumped our 2002 Buick RDV's a long time ago.Our 2002 CXL loved to eat BCM's.It turned in to a 2004 Toyota Highlander which has been trouble free so far.

Good Luck.
  • bxdbxd Posts: 186
    I'm not saying any of your experiences are false. Just conveying that our 2007 with 10,000 miles so far has been trouble free. Yes I realize that it is still a very young vehicle, but I just wanted to post a GOOD Rendezvous experience. My wife and I plan on keeping it past 100k miles.

Loving it so far! Great on gas, so much cargo room, very comfortable.

Brian
  • My husband and I have a chance to buy a 2003 Rendezvous. It looks like there are so many complaints about it. Is there anyone that is happy with this car?
  • I have an '04 RDV with 103,933 miles on it and the only problem I have had was the wheel bearing which was taken care of under warranty. The only other issue is the lights in the steering wheel controls...I do a lot of night driving so I expected them to wear out. My dealer replaced the bulbs free of charge. I drive this vehicle everyday plus once or twice a month to cleveland or nyc and never has it broken down. I am trading up to the Enclave in March, but other than the fact I just want a new vehicle, I would continue driving this until it dies. I keep up with regular scheduled maintenace.
  • I am having the same problem with our 2005! We have had nothing but problems with this thing since the day we bought it. I too wanted to just turn it back in and get an Enclave. That's what I wanted in the beginning. How did you start out with this if you don't mind? I have had it with this car! I am afraid to drive it. :mad:
  • My 05 AWD RDV is a great vehicle with deteriorating fuel economy. With less then 22K on the car the fuel economy seems to get worse with every tank. I have the 3.6 ltr and was getting near 18 when it was broken in and now get around 14, what's up? I really enjoy the car and don't share the misery most of the people who post have.