Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Buick Rendezvous Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• jpiercejpierce Posts: 49
    It sounds like corrosion on the wiring to the ABS sensor or wire short. You need to look at the connection to sensor and follow the wire to see if corroded or damaged. This is a very common problem on the RDV. As for the power seat and mirror this sounds like another wire short. Check the wiring under the carpet by the driver seat. Another common problem on RDV (wire fusing and shorting together). RDV are full of germlins (down cycle in the quality curve)

James

I am not sure if these are problems, but they were for me. I had the same issues.
  • ray80ray80 Posts: 1,273
    On this vehicle fir the AWD disabled and ABS lights it could very well be an issue with the C305 connector if the dealer hasn't checked it yet also. It is a documented problem.
    I have a very creaky front end (when accelerating or braking) and bumping sound (like something is sliding or loose under the car). My mechanic told me it was my brake pucks were floating around due to warn brake guides. Well after 3 years dealing with this creaky sound I replaced my front brakes with new guides, and the sound is still there. The bushings for the large sway bar were replaced a year or so ago and are still good (this did cause a creaky sound but was corrected)

At one point another mechanic at the shop where I take my car told me it was the steering column and was a common problem on the RDV. He told me a temporary measure was to fill the steering column with oil (200 bucks) and permanent solution was to replace the stirring column (costs several thousand). He told me its not a safety issue just annoying.

Has anyone come across this problem? And is it the stirring column. I hope its not the rackenpinun stirring (but I do not think so, the car tracks true and does not wonder)

James
    2002 RDV AWD CXL
  • nlt99nlt99 Posts: 9
    Hi James!

I had a similar annoying creak when accelerating or stopping. It was very difficult to find the cause (like most noises) but it turned out to be caused by one of the body struts that goes diagonally from the top of each fender well (1 bolt) to the top of the body part that goes over the radiator area (2 bolts). They are black tubes about 1-1/2" diameter that strenthen the front end of the body against torsional twisting. In my case it was the right side one that goes over the battery area and the two front bolts had been partially stripped out so I had to drill and tap for the next larger size. Totally and permanently fixed the problem for me.

Let me know what you find, and good luck! Nick
  • dnilsondnilson Posts: 1
    I have a 2006 Rendezvous . This week the AWD DISABLE light came on and now won't turn off. I'm assuming that the AWD isn't working also. I've read many posts on this problem, from bad wiring to low fluid to bad tires to wheel bearings etc.... and that the dealers have tech notices on it. I don't have the money or time to keep bringing the car in until they figure it out? My wife and I have to work everyday just to pay or bills. I'm not a mechanic either. I don't know what to do? This is my first
    GM and my wife loves it, but this really has me stressed out since we don't have money for repairs.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 45,041
    edited June 2010
    Conditions for Turning On the All-Wheel Drive (AWD) Disable Lamp

The AWD disable lamp illuminates when one of the following conditions exists for 5 seconds:

* The PCM/TCM commands the solenoid ON and the voltage feedback remains high, B+.
    * The PCM/TCM commands the solenoid OFF and the voltage feedback remains low, 0 volts. This condition is present for 3 key cycles

Action Taken When the All-Wheel Drive (AWD) Lamp Illuminates

* The PCM/TCM does not illuminate the malfunction indicator lamp (MIL).
    * The PCM/TCM inhibits AWD.
    * The PCM/TCM records the operating conditions when the Conditions for Setting the DTC are met. The PCM/TCM stores this information as Failure Records.
    * The PCM/TCM stores the AWD disable fault in PCM/TCM history.

Conditions for Clearing the All-Wheel Drive (AWD) Disable Fault

* A scan tool can clear the fault.
    * The PCM/TCM clears the fault from PCM/TCM history if the vehicle completes 40 warm-up cycles without a non-emission related diagnostic fault occurring.
    * The PCM/TCM cancels the fault default actions when the fault no longer exists.

********************************************************************************- - ***************
    Diagnostic Aids

An ABS DTC may cause the AWD Disabled light to illuminate. Check for ABS DTCs if no AWD fault is present.

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

Thanks. These struts have been removed several times by myself and mechanics (battery replacement, rad replacement, BCM replacement...etc) I will check them and see. However, I am not holding my breath, the sound sure sounds like it is coming from underneath. I have had all ball joints and tie rods replaced so things are tight there. I will let you know.

Also if anyone interested the air compressor is still working on my car. It appears the hoses were all deteriorated, so I had some extra (tygon tubing from work) and things are working again. Also the shocks I am thinking of replacing monroe sells a pair for 90 bucks US MA826 direct OEM replacement comes with new air tubing and everything.
  • Hi Anthony I,m having the same problem. Can you scan and e-mail me the instrunctions? Thanks for your help, JD
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,105
    Hello Dnilson,
    I apologize that you are experiencing this problem. Can you please email me so I can get more information from you to look into this further? You can get my email by clicking on my name. Thank you,
    Mariah GM Customer Service
  • lllabratlllabrat Posts: 12
    I have the same exact creaking problem on my 2006 Rendezvous. It sounded like it was coming from my right hand side of the car. I replace the ball joint last year (and the hub) and it did not help at all. The hub *really* did need to be replaced but the ball joint probally was fine. That was about at 70k miles. I will try tightening up the brace struts suggested by Nick to see if that helps. The noise happens when the weight is transitioning on and off the corner of the car when turning or entering/exiting driveways. Other than that the car tracks true and straight. I am rather dubious of the mechanic's suggestion that it is the rack and pinion steering. If the rack was making those kind of noises I imagine it would affect steering and tracking.

Dave
    I checked thoses strut bars and the one on the driver side the two front bolts are stripped (darn mechanics), I am off to home depot to get some new bolts, I hope this solve some of the problem, however the odd clunking sound does worry me though (brake and acceleration), but if it has been happening for 3 years and nothing yet I am not going to worry about it too much (one mechanic said steering column another indicate it could be the drive shaft for AWD, due to the poor engineering around the drive shaft nuckle under the car), This could explan why RDV did not come with AWD in later model years.
    That was the same problem I had on mine, only it was the passenger side. Drilling and tapping and installing new, larger bolts took care of the problem for me... hope it does for you too. Let me know!

Nick
  • anthonyefanthonyef Posts: 9
    I have tried to locate the email with the attachments but it has been so long I can not locate it. Sorry I do not have access to the documentation anymore either.
  • anthonyefanthonyef Posts: 9
    Are you sure it is coming from the front. The noise may be the rear bushings.
  • bxdbxd Posts: 186
    I'll be doing a full front brake job on my 2007 Rendezvous. Can someone that has a shop manual please check what the torque figures are for the caliper mounting bracket and also for the caliper slide pins? If you're already looking and happen to see the bleeder screw value i'll take that too - might as well be exact. :)
    Thank you!
    Brian
    Don't have info for 2007, but for 2005 (from GM manual)

- Caliper pin bolts: Loctite & 26 ft-lbs
    - Caliper-to-bracket bolts: 40 ft-lbs
    - Bracket mtg bolts: Loctite & 137 ft-lbs
    - Brake hose to caliper bolt: 40 ft-lbs

Have fun! Nick
    Looks like this creaking sound is and was caused by these stripped bolts on the fender bars. I tightened up and replaced some of the bolts and behold the creaky noise and clunk sound I have been living with for 3 years is all but gone. Thank god

I am happy now

James
    Happy that solved your problem James.... I know how irritating that noise is (was)! Glad I was able to help

Nick
    Hi Everyone. Well after driving the RDV for awhile with a right rear spring broken (in the mount, so the spring was not really affected), I was able to get a couple of springs for 100 bucks, however my mechanic tells me that my RDV will require a wheel alignment after they are installed. I am not so sure if the wheel alignment is required. Anyone done the rear springs and was a wheel alignment involved ?

Thanks

James
  • financierfinancier Posts: 2
    Thats funny. I have a GM bike rack, it is a 1 3/8" and the car is 2". I had to buy the adapter to make the receiver smaller. It is light weight and only extends about 3" My problem is I lost the pin that goes into the lock and receiver. I can not find who makes the lock for GM so I could replace it. GM wants me to buy a whole new lock for the missing pin at $60
  • chromerechromere Posts: 1
    I have a 2006 Rendezvous. For the last year, when I am driving at a low speed and making a turn (like when driving in a parking lot or making turns in a subdivision, etc.), I get a moaning/groaning sound from the front end. Any suggestions as to what it might be? Dealer service station wants to charge me $90 just to diagnose the problem.
  • bxdbxd Posts: 186
    Only in one direction, or both?

If only one direction, or at least it's much worse in one direction, then its a front wheel bearing. If you're turning left and hear the noise, it's your right (passenger side) front wheel bearing. If you're turning right when you hear the noise, it's the driver's side. This is because of weight transfer to the opposite side of the car from the turn direction.

Any reputable shop should be willing to subtract their diagnosis fee from the repair cost. Call around and ask for a front wheel bearing job.

Brian
    2007 Rendezvous
  • I have a 2002 Rendevous and it has been at the mechanics 4 times in 4 weeks. They cannot find the problem. A chiming starts and the open hatch ajar and the door ajar and the service vehcile soon lights continue to rotate on. It does not stop if I shut the car down and restart. I actually get a headache listening to it the whole time I am driving it. When the car goes to the mechanic, it doesnt do it. One time it did start chiming and he hooked up the computer and it didn't display a problem. Can anyone tell me what is wrong?
    Sounds like an issue involving the BCM. Do you have a sunroof, and is it leaking? That could cause problems if the water tracks just the right way. How is the battery condition and connection to underhood fues box (the electronics can be sensitive to voltage)? Potentialy it could be wiring to BCM or the BCM itself may be bad.
    If your vehicle is AWD it can also cause a groaning sound when turning left or right at slow speeds (only happens when parking or pulling out, turning sharply at the max), it can be very loud and annoying. My 2002 RDV has been doing this from day one. Some people say change rear axle fluid, which I have and does nothing. I was told by my mechanic it is just inherent to the RDV to do this. So I live with it. AWD seems to work fine other than this noise at very slow and very tight turns. If you have a baring issue take the car for drive on straight road and lightly turn the car left and right. If baring is gone there is usally a slight moaning noise but upon turning the car left and right the noise should change in tone or go away. If you observe this then a baring is gone. You can purchase them off ebay for around 40 bucks plus shipping (cheap off shore stuff) or purchase more conventional ones for 250 bucks or higher. I did the off shore and seems to work fine, over a year and still working, total in stalled with tax out the door 160 bucks.
    I don't think the moan/groan should be considered a inherent thing. If the refill of fluid was done with proper procedure it should have gone away unless there is a mechanical issue with it.
    edited July 2010
    Unfortunately in this case I was informed by GM it was an inherent sound associated with AWD when turnning very tightly. It has to due with how the AWD system works (wheel speed, grip in tight turns, the system has a hard time associating which wheel should get traction, therefore the noise). In this case you maybe right as it is mechanical issue associated with poor engineering. With that all said my RDV is 9 years old and has had no issues as of yet with AWD except this odd noise once in awhile in tight turns. Rear differential fuild has been changed 3 times over the 9 years. (Knock on Wood :)) Maybe in later Model years they eliminated this sound.
  • Thanks for that idea. Where is the BCM? I found the BCM fuse. I'm assuming thats not what you were talking about. I check all fused to be sure. How would you replace the BCM?
    The BCM is in the console area underneath the cover/shifter. If you do end up replacing it you would have to get it programmed by dealer at some point to keep things working correctly. Just another thought, you could try removng the BCM fuse ( #28 in underhood fuse box I believe) for about 30 secs and then put it back in and see if it makes any differance (could be temp fix)
  • yuli1yuli1 Posts: 4
    I have 2006 Buick Rdvz with 85000 km on it. Never had any problems until couple of days ago when it did not start quite a few times. Finally I was able to start it but today I noticed the engine sign is on ( not the one "service engine soon" but simply a picture of the engine - I have a canadian version. Can somebody help me before taking it to service.