Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Buick Rendezvous Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• Congrats on the new car!! My 2003 Rondy with 70,000 miles has been good to me and its got a while to go as I have 2 kids in college right now so a new car will have to wait for a bit...but when the time comes, I'll be giving the Buicks a test drive that's for sure.
    The Enclave is a beauty - good choice and congrats again!
  • bxdbxd Posts: 186
    Yup - still enjoying our RDV. Ours is a 2007, bought new. Have now put 56,000 miles on it without a problem. Love its versatility, so much cargo room considering its not that big of a vehicle on the outside.

Would definitely buy again. Hauls my family and all of our gear on our cross country vacations with grace.

Brian
  • My left front window will not go up. All the other switches are working on the panel. I think it is just that switch??? It has been marginal, I had to play with the switch it to get the window up, now it is down for good. I can hear the moter run, bottom-out on the down side. Q: how do you replace this switch or can I rewire this switch ie to the right window. All the other windows have 2 switches, BUT the left only one??? I could live with one of the other windows not working from driver/left panel....this car has cost me $$$$ since day one, intake, the head casket, transmission, tire hub...more and more
    If you hear the motor trying to lift the window, then it can't be the switch. That's the job of the switch - to activate the motor. Like a light switch, either it will do its job or it won't.

There could be a few things going on here. Window might be off track. Track could be mucked up making window stick. Problem with lifting mechanism. Motor has gone weak.

You won't know till you take the interior panel off the door and start investigating. If you can help the motor lift the window by pulling up with your hand as you activate the switch, then try lubing the tracks, and if that doesn't work, then the motor is tired and needs replaced.
  • Just purchased my daughter her first car yesterday! 2004 Buick Rendezvous. Had it for about 3 hours when I get a call from her. Car won't start. Lights light up and the radio turns on but no clicking or anything of the engine. Finally started it in neutral. Daughter came home and we re-tried to start car. It still won't start in Park but easily does so in neutral. Any ideas?
  • How do you replace fluid or repair the AWD so the light goes off?
  • lllabratlllabrat Posts: 12
    This vehicle is based on the first gen GM steel bodied minivan. It is the plastic track mechanism that holds and moves the window that needs to be replaced. I had a 99 chevy venture (before my 06 rendezvous). It had the same exact problem and exhibited the same exact symptons before it fully went bad. If I recall the plastic teeth in the mechanism wear or break. Bad design. What a pain to replace. Of course it is the driver window that breaks since that one gets the most use.

Dave
  • ray80ray80 Posts: 1,238
    Some of the common causes for AWD disabled light are Bad connection to wheel sensor or trouble with wiring to the connection. Also possible is problem with C305 connector (google 'gm c305 connector')
    I think a reasonable guess would be an issue with the BTSI (Brake Transaxle Shift Interlock). Its a little gizmo in the console area under shifter.
  • Thank you Ray. I'll try that.
  • Thanks Ray!. The dealership indicated a neutral safety switch that would cost close to $2700 to repair. They offered to refund all my purchase money (nice of them!) but I asked if I could find cheaper repair elsewhere, would they cover the cost (which they said they would consider). Took it to a shop and they quoted $750 to replace the switch. Showed them a post I read about wires possibly being pinched under the air filter housing (?) (which they weren't). He did notice that if he wiggled a cable in the engine compartment, the underscore under the Park indicator would light up and allow the engine to start. Other times, he would wiggle it and the underscore would not light up and the car would not start. He thought that the cable was too short. Have you heard of anything like that? Would that be associated with the BTSI that you referred to? Thanks for your help!!
    Hhmm Well if the independant person got it to work with a wiggle, I'd have to suggest cleaning and tightning the connections at both ends of cable. Nothing electrical will work with bad connection BTSI or whatever else. If the cable goes directly to underhood fuse box, perhaps a reseat of fuses/relays in there might help. Good luck
  • Hi, Getting a P0717 fault on my 2003 Rendezvous CXL. At a consistant 65mph I get an intermittent but sudden increase from 2100 rpm to 3000 rpm. It will hold at 3000 rpm for a bit then decrease back down to 2100 rpm. Before replacing the input turbine speed sensor I want to check the 20 pin connector at the tranny as I notice the air cleaner box was putting alot of stress on the wire harness. My problem is I can't figure out how to disconnect the 20 pin plug. Help!
    Thanks,
    RJ
  • Thanks Ray! I've noticed youv'e helped a lot of people on this site. It's greatly appreciated!
  • Just an update on my daughter's car. Took it back to the repair shop that noticed the cable issue. The repair man loosened a clamp that allowed more slack on the cable where it goes into the transmission(?). Needless to say, in the 3 weeks since, we have not had a bit of trouble. He replaced my airfilter at the same time and charged me only $45 for everything! What a bargain-saved me a bundle!
    Great to hear, much better then the $2700 idea that would not have corrected the problem.
  • julieamisjulieamis Posts: 1
    Hello All! My mother has a 2002 Buick Rendezvous CXL. It's been having some problems--first, the battery wouldn't hold a charge, and the car would die. Then the windows stopped working, and the locks and sunroof will only work intermittently. The battery light is always on, even when the battery has been charged. The 'service engine soon' light is always on as well.

Yesterday, she took the car in, and she was told that the problem is with the body control module. Apparently, this has been happening to a lot of people, but GMC is not issuing a recall. The price to fix it is $700.

Does anyone have experience with this issue? My mom is a senior citizen on a fixed income, and really cannot afford such an expensive repair.
  • ceriffceriff Posts: 5
    You can do it yourself pretty easily. The BCM is about $100 new and it's behind the inside fusebox. I replaced mine and then took it to have it programmed for around $60 if I remember right. They have to get the programming from the dealership but usually you can find a local shop that can do that. Just call around. My total repair was under $200. Hope that helps.
    Take it to a local small garage she trusts first. Or someone handy with cars. There is a connector, C305, located under and just behind the drivers seat. The connector runs from outside of the car, to inside the car. It may have gotten moisture into it. Needs someone to inspect it for water damage/penetration. If wet, dry it all out thoroughly, and test the vehicle. This is easy/cheap and should be done before BCM replacement.
    Another thing is that GM knows that the very early Rendezvous BCMs had issues. Someone needs to politely but firmly ask for the Service Manager, explain that you know the 2002 BCMs had problems, and that you'd like GM to help with the cost of the repair. You have a 50/50 chance of getting help if you ask nicely, and sound like you know what you're talking about. By 2003, the Motorola made processor was improved and internal BCM problems are rare after that, its usually connector problems 2003+.
    Hhmm I would wonder about that diagnosis a bit. If the battery light is always on it sounds more like a charging issue. The electronics (including BCM) can be quite sensitive to improper voltage and due crazy stuff if its not up to snuff. I might be more inclined to check cable connections and have a reasonablt long charging system check to ensure there is not an alternater issue.
  • fandbpestfandbpest Posts: 5
    I'm starting to have a problem with the brakes on my 04 FWD rendezvous. When i take a slow turn, like turning into a parking spot or onto my street, it feels like the ABS is coming on. It has happened once when coming to a straight stop at a light. The cement is dry and it only happens occasionally. Does anyone have an idea of what could be causing this? Thanks
    Let's see if we can't narrow it down first.

Find an empty parking lot. Do the low speed turn to recreate the noise. Now, VERY carefully, accelerate back up to 20mph or so, take your foot off the gas and put the shifter into neutral (making sure you don't go into R or P). Then bring the car to a stop in the exact same way that caused the noise.

The reason to do this is to disconnect most of the drivetrain from the wheels during the stop. If you still get the noise, it is probably brake or bearing related.

Do you have any warning lights on? If ABS was malfunctioning I would expect an ABS light.

Do you feel any pulsation in the brake pedal when this is happening or is there only a stuttering feel in how the car stops?
  • fandbpestfandbpest Posts: 5
    I'll have to do the parking lot test tomorrow. But I do feel pulsation in the brake pedal when this is happening. It's the same feeling as if i were trying to stop in snow and the ABS came on. The ABS light has not come on and i thought that would come on if the problem was with the ABS.
  • mkp53081mkp53081 Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 Buick Rendezvous CX. I just noticed yesterday that it is making a squeaking sound from the right front, but only when the wheels are rolling. It almost sounds like a metallic shaking sound, almost like the sound a salt shaker makes when shaking salt out. That's the best way for me to describe it. The sound stops as soon as the car comes to a complete stop. I have also noticed that the sound changes a bit when I apply the brakes and it doesn't make the sound when I make a right turn. I searched all night last night trying to find a solution to the noise but didn't see anything that was caught my eye. So far I've read it could be a wheel bearing, CV joint, or the brakes indicating excessive wear. Thinking more like a wheel bearing?? What do you think? I'm desperate to get this thing fixed before I have to travel out of state next weekend. Thanks!
    ==-Kate-==
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 18,064
    The brake wear sensor metal tab can cause a sound like what I think you're describing. And it disappears when brake pads are applied. It also will change when turning because of a little bit of movement in the wheel bearing affecting the contact between the pad and the rotor.

Let's hope for the easiest.

How many miles on this vehicle?
  • wes612wes612 Posts: 1
    My girl has a 2003 Buick Rendezvous and the ABS light has been on for a year due to the $4,500 cost of repair. Don't know if that's related to this new problem, but a Sat. she noticed a change in her vehicle. It isn't as responsive as before. Acceleration is sluggish as if under a load or driving with parking brake on. Seems to shift through the gears fine according to the mechanic who looked at it. 4 Diagnostic codes given are: ABS right rear sensor, engine oil pressure swith circuit, and ECM and BCM losing connection intermittently. Any ideas about this one? Thanks for your time.
  • cherylw49cherylw49 Posts: 1
    which fuse controls the cigarette lighters?
  • nlt99nlt99 Posts: 9
    Hi Cheryl!

Fuse 32 in the main fusebox under the hood.... a 20 Amp fuse. See the picture below (note arrows)

Nick">
  • davepjnydavepjny Posts: 1
    Sounds like your caliper, which is extremely dangerous. I had this happen to me. Had a break job done, then heard the noise from front right wheel only when slowing down. Well, the caliper came off while I was slowing down and the car stopped right there while doing about 10MPH. Could have killed me.
  • lschlagellschlagel Posts: 1
    Own a 03 buick rendevous, took key out and alarm went off, couldnt get it to stop with remote or by putting key back in egnition. finally stopped but now wheel if locked and cant get it to start!