Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Buick Rendezvous Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• shelby349shelby349 Posts: 13
    One thing that's so consistent is that so many people on this forum have had the same defects.They are problems emblematic of the model.However,I challenge people to think of the things that HAVEN'T gone wrong with their 'vous.The electrical and basic chassis is sound.The gasket problems,hood,well...no apology,but some have received assistance from GM under 100k.I had 150 on my buggy in 4 years.Just drove it home at midnight through 80 km of Canadian Rockies,and it never crosses my mind that the car might fail.I've patted it on the dash for it's traction,and superb steering and braking ability.PS.My opinion about synthetic(I use it)is I'll run it 1.5 to twice as long.It's known to last longer,and it saves me the hassle of another oil change.
  • regalluvr2regalluvr2 Posts: 114
    If you will read thru all the posts on here from the very beginning you will see that the electrical system wasnt sound on the early RDV's.It was a major-major problem which caused us to dump ours..Lots of us went thru BCM after BCM,some as many as 7 of them.Also some had RDV's that would die and not restart.

The 4 major issues with the early RDV's were the following.

1 BCM-electrical
    2 Intake gaskets
    3 AC condensors
    4 Wheel bearings

The things we miss most about our 2002 CXL is the ride and the roominess.It couldnt be beat for that!
  • verdi942verdi942 Posts: 304
    Can anyone help me locate the PCV Valve on my '04 RDV with the 3.4l engine? Is there anything special about removing and replacing it? Thanks in advance.
  • Top right corner of the front valve cover

(1)Disconnect the vacuum hose from positive crankcase ventilation valve
    (2).
    Remove the positive crankcase ventilation valve.
    Thanks, intrepid. Sounds very do-able.
    Whoa!, intrepid! There's a steel collar around the base of the PCV that's riveted [!] to the valve cover casting, making it impossible to remove the valve. The PCV valve itself is set into a rubber "doughnut". I've never seen anything like it. Any ideas?
  • hmmm PCV valves are usually screwed in or pushed in ill look at mine and see but those directions were right out of service manual might just push in . ill look at post tongiht
  • spike99spike99 Posts: 239

Within many historical posts, I noticed a few folks had to replace their factory AC Condensor. Especially on thier 2002-2003 RDVs.

A few moments ago, I came across:

http://www.innerauto.com/Featured_Items2/rendezvous/C0255/

If the factory Condensor in my 2003 FWD RDV blows, should I replace with this one, or with the GM factory replacement part? Just wondering which product is better?

thanks...

• shelby349shelby349 Posts: 13
    Definitely go to your local aftermarket parts supplier,NAPA/UAP,PartSource,etc. and pick up a STEEL core A/C condensor.Probably around 250 or so.When your trusted mechanic has a look,he'll probably see an extruding bolt that had possibly rubbed through the old part.Have him take it down before he installs the new part.These aluminum condensors are prone to failure and you'll have saved yourself ALOT of bucks!
  • rolynrolyn Posts: 8
    We just purchased a 2003 Rendezvous and notice that whenever we are driving on a concrete or rough asphalt roadway (particularly at higher speeds) It sounds like we are on the inside of a kettle drum. Could be suspension related? Would new shocks help? The tires are new Toyos and are not causing the issue (we think). This vehicle has 60000 miles

Thanks
  • 442455442455 Posts: 64
    Had you driven any other Rendezvous? My wife bought her 2004 new, and during the test drive I thought the thing was very load, with a low pitch "rumble" coming from the rear area. We drove several others, and they all made the same type sound.

It didn't bother her, but every time I drive her car, I notice that "rumble" sound. She has a FWD CXL with the third seat always folded down. I think it is just the nature of the beast. Such a big open area in the rear, with road noise coming in through the side panels.
    Thanks, That may explain it.....but it does get a little annoying. My wife drives an aztek and it is much quieter.
  • 442455442455 Posts: 64
    My wife is not bothered or annoyed by the sound. When we test drove two others, they had different brand tires than the one she ended up buying. The other two were louder than hers which have the Uniroyal "performance tires".

I read other forums, including an Aztek one, and some people there complain about the "rumble" noise also. It must be a certain pitch which irritates some, but not others. If you really feel ambitious, try swapping the tires between the two "sister" cars, and see if that makes a difference in either. I would sure try that, wouldn't take that long to do.
    Thanks...actually bought this for my son who will be leaving Iraq and the army next week. This should be an ideal car for him and his hopeful career in real estate. He should love the car. He will probably not be bothered by the noise as much as me. Thanks again for your thoughts.
  • awill475awill475 Posts: 6
    Hey there,

I have an 03 and it made the same noise, and got worse the longer I drove it, especially at highway speeds. Turns out there was a factory recall on the front wheel bearings and hubs. I would call your nearest dealer and ask if your car, and it should be, is covered for the recall. They replaced both left and right for me and I no longer have the super loud humming noise - and it was free! :)
    I will follow up on that. Thanks!
    I called the dealer and they couldn't find the recall. (I'm not sure how hard they tried). Is there any reference # or maybe a phone number for dealer you used?

Thanks again
  • they actually just extended the warranty to 5/60 on the front wheel bearing on the 02 and 03 I believe so its not a Real recall i think its one of those things you gotta call em on they wont volunteer the information i got a letter from Buick on mine
  • I have the intermittent brake light problem. (right rear) Works as directional but doesn't light up for brakes. Can't figure how to access the bulb to see if it is blown. Anyone know how to do that?
  • awill475awill475 Posts: 6
    Yes, that sound familiar now - I got a letter from Buick as well. I took the letter with me to the dealer because of the noise and that is why they fixed it, not really a recall. My dealer is in MN 1-800-944-5717 if you want to call them. Good luck!