Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Buick Rendezvous: Care & Maintenance

Comments

• kenymkenym Posts: 405
    What about the 3 year bumper to bumper warranty Buick offers?
  • lswaidzlswaidz Posts: 92
    I don't believe GM's warranry covers light bulbs of any kind, including the smaller ones in the car... Those plastic fasteners I believe are removable... my trans am was basically held together with them... just get some leverage and pull, they'll make a lot of clicking noises as they come out and you'll be able to plug them back in...

I've noticed that a lot of things in our manual are from the aztek, so it may be that way on that vehicle, but not on our rendezvous.

~Lance
  • ppalonskyppalonsky Posts: 34
    I have not had to wax the new RDV yet. When I took delivery it was all shining, but upon closer inspection at home I noticed it needed a waxing. I called my salesman at the dealership and he agreed to have it hand waxed, as long as I did not ding them when I got the GM owner's survey. I guess they really care about those things.

In any case I use Meguiar's Gold Wax and Quick Detailer on my Ford Expedition and like the results. However, given Lance's rave reviews on the 3M stuff I'll have to go to Pep Boys. Anyone who puts 3 coats of wax on his car must really know his car care products.

Today I gave my RDV it's weekly bath and polished the chrome wheels with Mother's Chrome polish. This stuff worked great. It put a high gloss shine on the wheels and the Buick chrome inserts on the car front and back. I highly recommend this stuff for those with the optional chrome wheels.
    The 3M stuff is really good, but only get the liquid wax if you're doing things by hand. Unless you want unsightly swirl marks on your paint, I wouldn't recommend using the hand glaze or rubbing compound without an orbital buffer or other machine polishing tool.

I use Eagle One Wadding Cloth on my rims... I've got the chrome rims as well. It's pretty good stuff but it takes a second to put on and off just like anything else. Sometimes when I'm in a hurry i'll actually throw a coat of wax on the wheels along w/ the rest of the car. It usually turns out very nice.

My habits for waxing and polishing are a carry over from when I had my 99 Trans Am WS6, so that might account for why I go so in depth...

~Lance
    Hi Lance
    Lance when I picked up my RDV the dealer said he put a protective coat of some sort on it so that I wouldn't have to wax it for about a year. Well the year is just about up. I am not sure what he used but is there something I need to do before I wax it, and what wax do you recommend?

Ken
    I'm not sure exactly what they put on there, but I would use Dawn dishwashing liquid to wash your car in order to get it all off. Then apply your wax...

As far as the wax itself... I think it depends on how much effort you're willing to put into it...

If you're looking for a once a year wax, I recommend Zymol (it's the blue stuff that smells like a pina colada). It takes longer to put on since you have to apply it in 2 x 2 areas, wait a minute or two, and then remove it, but it will protect your paint longer than say Meguiars Gold. Meguairs is good but you have to keep up with it, in other words a coat a month is recommended, and it'll take 2 or 3 months before it really starts to look good.

I just started using the 3M Liquid Wax and I'm really happy with it. I like it because I can cover the entire surface of the car, let it sit (longer the better) and then take it all off all in one process instead of having to wait for individual spots to cure.

Anyway, you've got some options... good luck!

~Lance
    I am not sure what kind of wax the dealer applied when I first picked up my RDV. It was some kind of hot liquid wax that was suppose to protect my vehicle for about a year or so. The Dealer does this on all new Buick's he sells at no charge. A friend of mine had a similar product applied to his new Toyota and it cost him about a hundred bucks or so.

The Dealer said I didn't need to wax it for one year. However during the winter I had it washed and waxed every couple of weeks depending on the weather. It was a very mild winter so I guess I had it washed and waxed at least twice a month. So what ever wax that was applied by the dealer is probably long gone by now.

( I am an old person and I don't have a heated garage that is why I didn't do it myself. )

I think I am going to try that 3M Liquid Wax. How often does that need to be applied and how hard is it to apply?

Ken
  • fedlawmanfedlawman Posts: 3,118
    Ken, if you want a low effort "wax" that will last for months, you should try a polymer product such as Zaino or my favorite, Klasse. You simply wipe it on (no rubbing), let it dry to a haze, and then wipe off (no buffing). They leave no residue, protect the paint from UV radiation, and shine just like a good carnauba wax.

Oh yeah, a 16 oz bottle will last five years or more!

Check out all the products here:

http://www.properautocare.com

I bought Klasse polish/wax last July when I bought my RDV. I waxed my RDV at the end of July and haven't touched it since. Even after numerous washes and a Seattle winter, water still beads off the paint.

Good luck,

Brian

Wow, that takes me back. When I had my Trans Am I used Zaino for a year... I think I got up to like 20 coats or so before I realized it wasn't getting any shinier... haha, oh well. Ken, that 3M stuff should do you just fine. It's reletively inexpensive... you can apply it either monthly or quarterly, depending on whether you're going for protection or looks... and it's very easy... you just cover the entire car with it... sit around (you can leave it overnight if you want...) and take it all off. I recommend following it up w/ a mist of either Meguiars Final Inspection or any other "instant detailer". It'll really makes things slick and shine.

~Lance
  • jk27jk27 Posts: 244
    I have read all the RDV forums and I need some advice re: motor oil. Can somebody tell me the pros and cons of synthetic oil (e.g., Mobil 1)? Or should I stick with regular oil? I haven't a clue.

As for waxes, I really like Nu-Finish. Apply, let dry to a haze, wipe off. Do it twice within a month and it will last almost a year.

Thanks for any help re: motor oil.
  • Karen@EdmundsKaren@Edmunds Posts: 5,025
    Check out Engine Oil-A Slippery Subject in Maintenance & Repair. LOTS of comments/opinions of synthetic vs. dino oil.

KarenS
    Host
    Owners Clubs

Karen-Edmunds Community Manager

• ppalonskyppalonsky Posts: 34
    My Indigo Blue Rendevous was starting to look a little dull today, so it was time to test the 3M wax that I bought based on Lance's recommendation here. What a great product!!! It was easy to put on and came off just as easy. The shine was amazing and only got better when I followed it up with the Meguirs mist again based on Lance's recommendation. The final result was better than when I drove the car off the lot, producing a deep wet looking shine. My thanks to Lance for passing on this suggestion.
  • netnerdnetnerd Posts: 117
    Thanks for the report on the waxing. I'll probably try the products based on that. :-) (thanks to Lance, too!)
  • nextmoonnextmoon Posts: 386
    I think I may need to replace the rubber wiper inserts in a few months. Does anyone know if the wiper blades are the same as on the GM minivans?
  • I have tried to keep the interior as clean as possible but with 2 kids it is an loosing battle. Any
    one have any tips on cleaning stains on the cloth inserts of the seats and on applying leather cleaner?
    I've used both the liquid and the wipe on the leather and the wipes seemed to work good.
    Thanks
    Sm
    Has anyone taking their RDV through a car wash (brush-free type)? I'm wondering if the roof would be cleaned thoroughly as the spray nozzles seem rather low on many car washes I've seen in my area (NYC). No chance to wash by hand in the current freezing temperatures.
  • fedlawmanfedlawman Posts: 3,118
    That's a good question. I haven't hand-washed my RDV in over a year...and that's the last time I even looked at the roof!

Out of sight, out of mind.

Unfortunately I have a second story in my house that looks right over my driveway where I park my RDV. I can see all the dirt that's collected on the ribs of the roof top. I may have to take a chance at the car wash if more snow/freezing rain hits my area - just too much dirt (and salt?) on my baby.
  • Yeah the roof is fine in the car washes, hehe. THe only thing you need to make sure is that you remove the OnStar antenna (if you have it) on the back window or at least tilt it down so that it's pointing towards the ground and not the sky, that way it won't be torn off or bent...

I would actually recommend a brushed carwash to get road salt off though. A lot of the spray (touchless) washes will just move the salt around and can't really get the stuff that's working it's way into your paint.

Another good suggestion to save some money would be to fill a bucket up w/ hot water and dish soap and just use a sponge to clean sections of your car in the garage and then just use a towel to dry those sections off. It'll take some extra time but you won't freeze certain body parts off and your car will be clean and you'll have $10 in your pocket.

~Lance

This discussion has been closed.