Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hyundai Elantra Owners: Meet the Members

Karen@EdmundsKaren@Edmunds Posts: 5,024
edited March 9 in Hyundai
Please take a moment to introduce yourself and share some details about your Elantra!

My name is KarenS and I am the host of the Edmunds.com Owner's Clubs. Please let me know what discussions you would like to see in your Club folder. I will create them ASAP. You may want to take a look through the other clubs to get ideas for discussions.

Also, if you are interested in a live chat, I can arrange that for you. All Club chats are set up on

Tuesdays:
4:00-5:00 pm PT/7:00-8:00pm ET

-or-

Thursdays:
5:00-6:00pm PT/8:00-9:00pm ET
6:00-7:00pm PT/9:00-10:00 ET
7:00-8:00pm PT/10:00-11:00pm ET
(The latter may be rather late for East Coasters, but is available if you want.)

Let me know if you are interested in a chat and the day/time convenient for you.

Looking forward to meeting everyone!

KarenS
Host
Owner's Clubs

Karen-Edmunds Community Manager

Comments

• First, I'd like to thank Karen for setting this up for us.

Hey everyone. I'm ElantraGTGuy, if you haven't noticed already. I own a brand new, Pewter (silver) Elantra GT. If your shopping for a car in the $15,000 range, this is *the* car to get. For exactly $15,000 including dealer fees (Orlando,Fl area), I purchased this car with automatic transmission and moonroof. I'm hoping to upload some pictures over the weekend. I hope to see everyone around in the future. Good luck!

-ElantraGTGuy

elantragtguy@yahoo.com

http://www.geocities.com/elantragtguy/

• cjaccettacjaccetta Posts: 236
    Karen,, many thanks for setting up these folders for us. I hope everyone takes advantage of our own little corner of cyberspace.

My wife and I purchased our pewter Elantra GT (base, automatic) four weeks ago and we love it. It is our primary use vehicle, meaning I drive it to work every day and we use it for trips and errands on the weekends. We just got through our 1200 mile break-in period so now we're ready to rock and roll! We get a lot of compliments on the car, especially since no one else seems to have one where we live.

Looking forward to posts from other Elantra owners, especially any owners in North Jersey or NYC area.

CJA
  • ebekinsebekins Posts: 21
    Hey! We have our own club now! I own an Elantra GLS with just about 7500 miles on it. Bought it at the end of March. Pewter, automatic, and we love it. I really like having more horsepower for this class of car. And it's nice to see more and more Elantras on the road here in San Diego county.

The more I read the press reviews of the car, the happier I am that I bought one, over the Civic which was our second choice. Great car!
  • beachlovbeachlov Posts: 2
    Elantragtguy-- I also live in Florida but in St Pete. Did you pay 15,000 out the door including all taxes etc? I was thinking bout getting the St with automatic and air. No moon roof. Know how much extra the moon roof costs? Wondering what kind of price I should be paying with air and automatic only out the door all included. Thanks Beach Beachlov@webtv.net
  • jcaccjcacc Posts: 10
    Great to have our own club! I'm Jim, live in NE Ohio and have a 2001 GLS, automatic, in champagne, package 4 (love the moonroof). I have about 5500 on mine, am getting about 28 mpg in city driving, and having a great time driving around and having people say "that's a Hyundai?"
  • Sorry for the late reply beachloy,

I paid $15,000 out the door W/O taxes. So with the 6% sales tax here in Florida, I ended up paying exactly $15,900 w/taxes. Again mine was an automatic w/moonroof, non-abs model. The moonroof will cost your around $650 MSRP, but don't pay that much. Look here at Edmunds at what price you should be paying.
  • griffey2griffey2 Posts: 6
    Hello all. I bought an Elantra, Package 2, ocean blue, last month. I now wish I'd bought a Package 4, but I guess we can't have everything.

I've been very happy with the car so far except for occasional squeaks coming from both left and right sides of the dashboard, and a slightly squeaky clutch. I will have them check it out at my 1500 mile oil change, but I doubt they are going to be able to duplicate the squeak noise unless they take it out for several test drives.

Two weeks after I bought the car, at only 150 miles on the odometer, an idiot in a Ford Explorer rear-ended the car. It is now in the shop with around $2000 damage, but all damaged parts will be completely replaced with Hyundai parts so should look good as new when finished (new bumper and trunk lid).

Anyway, here's to happy motoring.
  • cjaccettacjaccetta Posts: 236
    griffey2: tough break with your new car. But hey...at least you got your first dent out of the way early! I'm still so paranoid about door dings that I park across the street every time I drive to the supermarket.

Good luck with the repairs.
  • pigbagpigbag Posts: 3
    Thank you Karen for getting this up and running.
    I got my GAS,5speed & option package #4, in April and it now has 4500 miles on it. I live in the Raleigh, NC area and it took my dealer 4 days to locate one with 5 speed and option #4. They finally found one in Columbia, SC.
    So far this car has been very good. I am averaging around 30mpg between going to work on the interstate and cruising around town. This is also with the a/I on, when needed. I took a trip to Richmond several weeks ago and the ride was very smooth and comfortable. I was surprised when I looked at the speedometer several times and I was at 80-85. Didn't feel like it. The comfort ability of the seats is excellent on a trip. The only problem I've had is the plastic clip on the drivers side which holds the floor mat in place keeps popping out. The drivers floor mat has worn through to the rubber where my foot rests. I took it to the dealer for fixing and replacement of mat & oil change. Dealer initially said he wasn't sure about replacing the floor mat. I told him that since this car was covered bumper to bumper for 60/5000 then that should include the mats. When I picked the car up, the dealer said they had to order another plastic clip and also they would replace the mat.
  • Karen@EdmundsKaren@Edmunds Posts: 5,024
    I've added a few more discussions to Elantra Owners folder. Let me know if there is something else you want added.

KarenS
    Host
    Owner's Clubs

• griffey2griffey2 Posts: 6
    cjaccetta: I think door dings are the worst! Worse than a rear-ender because the trunk & bumper will be replaced by an insurance co, but door dings seem to look rotten forever.
  • Karen@EdmundsKaren@Edmunds Posts: 5,024
    Is there a Dent Doctor franchise in your area? I've heard they do a pretty good job of removing door dings.

KarenS
    Host
    Owner's Clubs

• compensatecompensate Posts: 212
    I finally got the salesperson to make a reasonable quote and now am proud owner of a 2001 Elantra GT, 5-speed, Pewter, with moonroof. I bought it yesterday around noon with 40 miles on the odometer. Now it has 180 miles!!!

I love the car! So far, not a single problem with squeaks, rattles, or shimmy/vibration. And the tires were inflated to spec!! (some have had problems with overinflation).

I can't wait to get through the break-in period!!!!
  • mpgmanmpgman Posts: 723
    Pewter GT automatic with the ABS/traction/roof package...mud flaps and cargo net for $16k. 2800 miles....with a long weekend drive coming up. Light foot delivering 33-37 on the highway and mid to high 20s around town. Coldest A/C ever experienced...cools it down in seconds. Only buying gripe is dealer left tire psi at 50 all the way around. So much for dealer prep! As to the car, fuel gauge won't read full and button to collapse one of the rear seat backs is stuck. Gray dash fades in sunlight making it hard to read the trip computer. Otherwise, this is a superb piece of equipment for the money.
  • 2001 GLS white automatic with package 2...paid about $12.5k out the door. Having some initial problems like check engine light(canister valve), steering wheel shimmy(even after 2 balancings and rotations), Bad compressor(weak a/c and a noise), pull to the left at highway speeds and pull to the right at lower speeds...im getting leary about owning this car. All this after 1000 miles, its the most problems i ever had on a car! and this one is BRAND NEW.
  • After the test drive of the Sonata 4cy... I loved the car and after he gave the price for the 4 cy
    I said MAN with that price I could get a Malibu v6 with a cd player...
    I said maybe i should go to chevrolet and try the car again ... anyway it was and on going battle with the salesman.. but I got the

Sonata
    V6 Gls for the price of 15,600
    poor guy ....he could not get me to pay more?
    do you thing a got a good deal?
  • tb88tb88 Posts: 242
    > > do you thing I got a good deal? > >

It all depends on the sticker price!

• Take a look at one of the models that was chosen by Edmunds.com editors as Top 5 for September!

KarenS
    Host
    Owner's Clubs

• Details of my purchase on "What did you pay" thread.I feel I got a great deal with no hassles!I commute 150 miles roundtrip 4 times a week.In no time I'll rack up the miles...that's why I extended the warrenty to 10 yr/100,000 all around.I'll keep ya all informed as I drive,drive,drive.I LUV this car! Oh yeah,in Cardinal Red!
  • My wife and I just bought a Elantra Gls with option package 5 with mudguards also. The car is midnight grey and both of us love it. My wife if the primary driver of the vehicle and she loves it perfect commuter car. She drives it around 88 miles a day, from work and back. Already have 3100 hundred miles on the car and have had no problems. Will be takeing it in for oil change Monday. When we were looking for a new car to replace the previous car she was driving, we looked at the Honda Civic&Nissan Sentra, and Altima. Let me tell you those cars dont come close to the Elantra. The Elantra has more standard options and a better warranty then all three. I would like to get a power sunroof, but decided to get the ABS and traction control instead since it was more important to my wife. I will be planning on looking at a new car to replace the car I am driving since it is going on 174,000 miles and it is about time to send it to the pasture. I am looking at getting either a Toyota Solara, Honda Accord, or The 2002 Sonata, but I have had my eye on the Elantra GT also. Cant really decide right now, but I am really impressed with Hyundai, so its a good chance we will be a two Hyundai family. My friends all drive Toyota's or Honda's. I like Toyota and Honda, but they have lost there way when it comes to price and standard features. My friend who has a 2000 Solara SE said why did you get a Hyundai, I kind of snikered and said, why would I get anything else, its the perfect car for what I bought it for. His jaw dropped when I told him all the standard features it had in it and the price I paid for it. Hyundai may still have an image problem with some folks, but I did my homework when buying this car and it won hands down. When I see other Hyundai drivers I just smile and know they did there homework to. As they say image isnt everything. I can see Hyundai severly cutting into Toyota and Honda sales in the next few years, I believe Honda and Toyota are already fealing the pain. The Civic engine was just to enemic for me and the Corolla what a ripoff, they wanted 4-5k more for less car. Its the company who treats the customer right and pays attention to details that count and Hyundai is that company right now. They just need to stick with that recipe and all will be well.
This discussion has been closed.