Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Kia Spectra GS, GSX (hatchbacks)

124»

Comments

• Their job is to make the after-purchase totally right for her. She'll have her stereo working fine by weekend's end for no charge.

2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS

• lok888lok888 BostonPosts: 1,772
    The AM/FM/CD player is working when it arrived to the service. They properly figure out the password or code on the CD player. They didn't need a new unit. By the way, if you have a dead battery or have it disconnected, you need to go back to the service. I don't remember the service gave him the code for the unit.
  • ofrakinofrakin Posts: 12
    I can't believe how well it runs. In fact, I keep checking out ALL the KIA sites to justify my spending almost $12K. I couldn't find a maintenance free vehicle....the closest I got was a 100K mile warranty.
  • Just purchased a 2001 Spectra, it's got a little less than 17,000 miles on it. I like it a lot and for the first few days things were great. Now the brakes have turned really mushy. I've got to put the pedal to the floor before I can get the car to stop. Checked the brake fluid level and its fine. I looked on the NHTSA web site and found that someone had filed a complaint about the same thing. Anyone else experience this problem? The dealer will be taking it in to service it in a couple of days. What should I expect to hear him/her?
  • ofrakinofrakin Posts: 12
    Mushy brakes are a couple of things. You only have 17k so I would expect them to bleed the lines to get the air out. Brake pads are $20 per axle and frontrotors are $25ea., at your local Pep Boys/Advance Auto, but you should NOT need either of them, unless it has a disconnected speedo and has more like 35K+ miles, but that's something else. I hope not, tho. Let us know what they say.
  • smulveysmulvey Posts: 139
    I have a 2002 Hatchback.
    We have about 12,000 mile on it.
    Here are some recent technical issues to watch for

1.) Engine software revised to improve starting- the factory has released a new computer software to enhance cold starts. I am planning on trying it. Normally the engine has to turn over 4 times before it fires up.

2.) Fuel Filler neck problem- Factory says tehy will replace a part of the filler neck at no charge due to finding a weak part of the design. I am going too have this looked at too.

Happy Motoring.
  • I am looking at getting a Spectra but I have heard that Kias aren't the best cars. I don't want to buy a car that isn't worth the money. Please let me know what you think of you Spectra...my email is LilMiss280@hotmail.com.
  • smulveysmulvey Posts: 139
    you should buy the spectra if you want a good affordable sedan / hatchback that won't let you down in 2-3 years with a major repair job.

If you want a bigger car , go for a Buick Century which they are nearly giving away now at $ 15,000.

If you want a performance car , none of the Kia's will be for you. They are slightly HEAVIER than the competitors and so that makes them slower ( but safer in a crash).

The Honda ELement has great space , but for that money and the skimpy warranty you could get a KIA SEDONA ( which I also have ) and the Sedona beats the stuffings out of the Element for towing , space and comfort.

I have taken family trips , carried firwood ( inside ) and also towed a heavy trailer 800 miles. my Sedona has 25,000 miles and my Spectra has 14,000 miles on it.

Both work well.

I would avoid the Saturn except on a 36 month lease, if you have them throw in the service contract ( oil chnages etc. ) that way you do not get stiffed.

We did ok with a Saturn LEase a few years back.
    The engine was not that good though and it worn out quickly.
124»
This discussion has been closed.