Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevrolet Avalanche Owners - Meet the Members

Comments

• Karen_CMKaren_CM Posts: 5,020
    Folks...today's events are horrendous, and we probably haven't heard the last of it. My prayers for the safety of you, your loved ones, and for us all.

KarenS
    Host
    Owner's Clubs

Community Manager If you have any questions or concerns about the Forums, send me an email, karen@edmunds.com, or click on my screen name to send a personal message.

• Karen...thanks for the kind words. Our Nation has been violated and will never feel the same again.
  • I have a black 2500 4x4 - fully loaded, with full protection package - what an animal. Reminds me of my '67 GTO - about the same gas mileage. This thing is awesome - turns heads - gets a lot more respect than my 98 Grand Cherokee. Only thing missing is 17" wheel option and a muffler to match the engine. Everybody who rides in it is impressed.
  • ygmnygmn Posts: 179
    Just finished washing her again.

Light pewter Metallic (SILVER to normal people).
    Z66 loaded with all the options. I love it and so does everyone I drive by.

Now I am worried about getting hit by drivers staring at me while I drive down the road.

I want the brush guard seen on the Chevy website. Anyone know where to get it?
  • jefishjefish Posts: 10
    Well, I did it. I picked up my Av 1500 on Friday afternoon. Metallic forest green with neutral leather, convenience package with sunroof. What a ride! I don't want to be at work today! :)
  • Karen_CMKaren_CM Posts: 5,020
    What are the most important factors in your car-buying decisions? The Chicago Tribune is looking for a ranking of concerns such as safety, price, monthly payment, styling, quality, etc.

Please send your response to jfallon@edmunds.com, or post in Talk to the Press.

Thanks!

KarenS

Host

Owner's Clubs

Community Manager If you have any questions or concerns about the Forums, send me an email, karen@edmunds.com, or click on my screen name to send a personal message.

• fastz28fastz28 Posts: 19
    Just got a 2002 Chevy Avalanche with Z66 Package, Onyx Black w/ Tan interior. Just base + Z66, nothing else.

Paid $22600 out the door, see "what you paid" forum for details :-)

If you are in Austin, TX, I can refer you to the salesman who got me the deal.
  • Had my AV 2 wks now. I really like it. Previously had a 99 SLT Sierra which I liked alot as well. I located mine on BuyPower. Black Z77 with graphite interior ,Convenience package,4:10 gears.I got a great deal.I think there is a glut of these now. It runs good,but not as good as my GMC I traded in.It's the extra wt. that's a killer.I also noticed the tow/haul mode doesn't give the hard shifts like my old GMC, just seems to raise the rpm shift points. This thing really needs the 345hp 6litre motor in it,although the mpg would suffer The OnStar is cool,but the subscription is a little over priced. So far I have logged a 1000 miles,the computer went goofy once and wouldn't let it idle,but corrected itself. I recommend the Manic stainless steel step boards. They look as good as the GM ones and are a couple of hundred less. This thing is so smooth that I can forgive its shortcomings.
  • Capitol. I went to Champion first, but couldn't strike a deal there. So I went to Capitol. Easiest deal ever, told them what *I* want to pay, they either take it or I'm going somewhere else. :-)
  • I purchased a 3/4 ton. The ad says a 37 gal fuel tank. The owners manual state 31 gal. Anyone know who's right?
  • I have the 2500 - 37 gal - watch out the "get gas" light goes on @ 4 gals - best start looking for a station quick.
    1500 has 31 gallons and I have never seen it as more or less.

Now the 2500 may have more but do not know.
  • A while back some were looking for a scale model
    die cast. Can check out www.diecastauto.com
  • The Av I want to buy has the soft tonneau cover which replaces the 3 piece rigid cover. I was wondering if there are any advantages / disadvantages to the soft cover other than the fact that you can't stow anything on top of it. And does anyone know which came first?
  • All other things being equal, the rigid panels increase the price by $600. To me, the panels are what makes the Avalanche so practical. You can lock the whole shebang, for one thing. Another nicety of the design is that you can remove just one or two of the panels as needed --the others are independently clamped into place. Also, there may be times when it is nice to have a place to sit above the crowd... I would also expect that the panels will age more gracefully than a soft cover. Just my 2 cents.
  • timfarntimfarn Posts: 289
    I think one of the best features is the hard cover supplied on the Av. The tonneau is an option for a credit - and the $600 (MSRP) is not worth it. The soft weighs less and takes less room on board to store. The hard covers will support weight, attachment is quick and easy, and they make for a tight, solid cover for the bed. I can't speak for the sealing ability of the tonneau on the Av, but my F150 did not seal at all with the factory tonneau.
    I looked at one and was not impressed with it.

It seemed difficult to remove and reattach.

Go for the hard cover IMO.
  • I picked up my Pewter Z66 on Tuesday. Its got the Z66 and neutral sport leather seats. It drives like a dream.

In doing my research I looked into the soft tonneau. I knew I didn't want it, so I asked several dealers about swapping for the rigid cover. One flat out said it could not be retrofitted.

Another(I bought the truck from)said that there are a lot of soft cover trucks out there due to production problems at the factory(same thing happened with the privacy glass). So instead of shutting down production they offered the soft covers with a $600 credit. He said supplies should increase in April and there would be a retrofit kit.

I guess a lot dealers are stuck with trucks with the soft covers. You might be able to get a deal on truck with the soft cover. But I think the hard cover is a requirement, otherwise why get the Avalanche?

Rick
  • timfarntimfarn Posts: 289
    The tonneau has been available from the beginning as an option for the $600 credit. Maybe there is a supply problem with the hard covers or perhaps dealers have ordered low cost units as loss leaders. I've seen two ads recently - one advertised starting prices at $22,995, and the other $24,495 (rebates applied). My wife was about to jump me until I said those are 2WD without Z package, leather, sunroof, etc.