Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hyundai Elantra Accessories and Modifications

Karen_CMKaren_CM Posts: 5,014
edited July 28 in Hyundai
What have you added and/or changed to your Elantra?

KarenS
Host
Owner's Clubs

Community Manager If you have any questions or concerns about the Forums, send me an email, karen@edmunds.com, or click on my screen name to send a personal message.

Comments

• compensatecompensate Posts: 212
    I got the dealer to throw in new mud guards for free when I bought my car. The salesperson said I could bring the car back in two days and they would install them for me for free.

I came back in two days, as the parts had just arrived, but decided to put them on myself. How hard could it be, right? I'd already done this on the 1999 Protege ES my wife now drives, and it was pretty easy.

Wow! I tried to install one of the rear mud guards and could not get all three holes to line up with the fender holes. Very strange. I wonder if I got mud guards for the 2001 Elantra GLS instead of the proper part for my 2001 GT.

Anyone else have problems installing mud guards on a late-model Elantra?
  • dbrowdydbrowdy Posts: 5
    Sorry, compensate, mine came installed.

Anyone have any experience/ideas with installing fog lights?

D
  • Anyone have a cargo net installed in their GT? I asked for one as part of the deal on mine, and the dealer really didn't know what I was talking about. They threw in a net, but no way to anchor it, etc. (I think it came from a Jeep Cherokee or something). Any ideas on how to install?
  • We talked our rep into getting us the floor mats and cargo net for free. He was nice enough to finally bring by our floor mats last week along with the cargo net. When he tried to install it, he noticed there were no anchors also. He used his cell phone and called the parts dept. at the dealership and they said that there are anchors specifically for the GT that has to go along with the net to be installed correctly. He called and said they should be in early next week and will come out an install them. If I remember, I'll post and let you know where/how to install it.
  • pigbagpigbag Posts: 3
    I have the Elantra, GAS. I got the cargo net for it. It came with the net, and plastic hooks for installation. There were directions which applied to several different Hyundai's. Depending on the Hyundai, you would use different hooks. Essentially I had to remove a plastic "knob" on each side of the trunk wall. I screwed in the correct hooks and attached the net. It only attaches on either side so it sort of just hangs across the width of the trunk. It shouldn't be that much different on the T. The procedure should be roughly the same.
  • tc22tc22 Posts: 2
    Anyone install window visors ?? What kind? How do you like them?
  • Would you happen to know what the part number is for the cargo net and anchors specific to the GT?
    My dealer is in the dark about this because the car is so new on the east coast (at least in Florida, it seems....).

Thanks.
  • Sorry, no part numbers. I didn't buy them so I didn't receive an invoice for it. BTW, I'm in Central FL also. I'll try to call the dealership and get the correct parts numbers for everything and if you close, you can go to my dealership and order them in.
  • I have a set of window visors from HDKautosport.com They look great! Better than the Ventvisor brand ones, no lip on the edge, looks cleaner. If you order them be ready to wait a little to get them, he said he could get them in a week but it was really 3weeks. He gets everything direct from Korea. Check them out good when they get there too, I ordered a set for my Elantra and My Rio and Two sets for the Rio came to me damaged.

G
  • mpgmanmpgman Posts: 723
    Got the dealer to throw it in on the GT with mud flaps. Guess they had the parts.
  • Has anyone ordered from this site? Would like some feedback before I place the order since they don't supply an address on the site, only a phone number....
  • Any one know if the spoilers shown there will fit the GT? It doesn't specify...And where do I find the paint code for my GT (cobalt blue)?
    Thanks!
  • Can anyone tell me if they replaced the rear deck speakers? It appears the whole deck has to be removed to upgrade these speakers.

Also, has anyone replace the factory radio? If so, was it a problem?
  • th003gth003g Posts: 149
    I saw on the british hyundai website that there was a factory spoiler avaliable on the GT, not sure about the color blue. It looks kinda like the one for the galant. I also replaced my stereo head unit, due to the shape and contour of the center stack the techinician was not able to mount it correctly into the dash. My install sticks out about a quater to half an inch from the plane where the original stereo was flush with the climate controls
  • I have a question, not sure if anybody can answer it ...

I'm considering modding my 2001 GLS by going over to plus-sized wheels and wider, lower-profile tires. My question regards the stock 15" x 5.5" wheels. Does anybody know the offset measurement for these wheels, or who manufactures them for Hyundai? I've already tried numerous sources throughout Hyundai, and nobody seems to know. Any help is appreciated. Thanks. :)
  • Iharvilla, I can't answer your question but, I'm looking to replace one wheel (and tire) on my 2001 elantra so if you're selling, let me know at jcimato@juno.com.

In the meantime, good luck with the upgrade!
  • there is a recent post on the hyundai 5door forum that has someone that replaced the wheels with 17" low profile wheels . you might want to surf over there and read about it .
  • gt_fangt_fan Posts: 159
    If you go to www.tirerack.com they have a neat feature where you can pick out different wheels that fit your car and see what they look like on your make and model. You can even select the correct color of your car.

I'm going to be switching to some 17" wheels and lower springs for my GT soon if I can talk the wife into it.

Good luck!
  • dmarzo1dmarzo1 Posts: 37
    Has anyone had an XM radio installed in their Elantra? Ayy good? Is it worth it in terms of sound quality? music variety?

Would appreciate comments

Dave
  • I made a post here about a month ago in regards to larger wheels and lower-profile tires on a 2001 Elantra GLS. Since that time, I have found much of the information myself, and I'm posting it to see if anyone else might benefit. I think this info would also apply to GT owners; to the best of my knowledge, GTs and GLSs come from the factory with the same tires and wheels.

In any case, the stock tire is the Michelin Energy MXV4, size 195/60R15. These tires are mounted on Hyundai-manufactured wheels; the diameter is 15", the rim width is 5.5", and the wheel offset is 46 mm. (You might hear tire-dealer reps refer to "back-spacing"; this is a slightly different way of measuring where the lug mounting surface of the wheel lies. Elantras have a back-spacing of 4.561".) Finally, the Elantra's lug pattern (another important consideration in wheel buying) is 4-114.3 (that is, 4 lugs, each 114.3 mm apart). You may also see it spec'ed 4-4.5; that's just the spec in inches rather than millimeters.

I've done quite a bit of math on the conversion to larger wheels and lower-profile tires. Depending how much or how little tire/wheel you want to see, you have the option of going to 16" or 17" wheels. I'll detail the first option in the next paragraph.

If you go with 16" wheels, you will want 205/50R16 tires. I would suggest going to a 7" rim width on the wheels; it will allow the tire to sit a bit wider on the road, and the car can still accommodate it. As for the wheel offset (most non-OEM wheels include it in their spec), anything above 38 mm is fine. You can go to a 35 mm offset, but you'll end up with the tires sticking out of the wheel wells like in the ghetto. :) Your speedometer and odometer will take on about minus 0.6% error (that is, you will indicate 1006 miles for every 1000 actual miles driven, and your speedometer will indicate 65.4 mph when you're actually driving 65 mph).

With 17" wheels (and this is the way I'm eventually going to go), you want 205/45R17 tires. It is almost impossible to get 205/45s without a Z speed rating (at least 149 mph). Stick with the aforementioned 7" wide rims and 38 mm or greater wheel offsets. This way, you end up with plus 0.2% instrumentation error (998 indicated miles in 1000 actual miles, 64.9 indicated mph at 65 actual mph).

You can't go with 18" wheels on the Elantra, simply because it requires tires too wide for the car to keep the instrumentation correct. That said, if you could do it, 225/35R18 tires would give you an amazingly small error, only around 0.04%. That's less than half a mile off in 1000 miles, and negligible on the speedometer. But you can't do that, because you'd be rubbing the struts on the inside. Ten miles later, your new tires would be ruined. :)

One thing to keep in mind about going to low-profile, Z-rated tires is this downside: You will not get a treadwear warranty from the manufacturer, and you can expect at best 30,000 miles on these tires -- and that's if you're nice to them.

Hope this helps people.
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,717
    That was one of the most useful and informative posts I've ever seen on an Edmunds board. Thanks for taking time to do the research and post your results. It will come in handy to me someday when my OEM tires wear out and I look to upgrade with alloys and bigger tires.
  • Has anyone purchased a rear spoiler for a 2002 Elantra GLS? HDK Autosport has two, one which it says is genuine Hyundai for $210. Are they a good company to deal with? Any other suggestions on where to find one? I checked with the dealer and they want $300 for the spoiler, so HKD is looking good.
  • mike91326mike91326 SoCalPosts: 245
    Today when I purchased a K&N airfilter for my 2001 Elantra the salesperson made a suggestion that I have not heard before. He told me that the air box that is used on the Elantra and most other cars is very restrictive. He said that to get the best out of the K&N that I should drill four to six one inch holes in the bottom of the factory air box. He said that he did it to his car and it increased his mileage and horsepower. Has anyone heard of this?
  • hmmm if you drill holes in the airbox that would change the amount of air going in . but my question is is how does that effect the computer that runs the air to fuel mix ?. will that throw it off leading to other problems.? i am not a real wrench so i have no idea but being that cars are all run by computers now and they are set to run at specific levels wouldn't adding more air to the system throw it all outta wack ?.
  • 5port5port Posts: 395
    I just received my B&M short shift kit and its gotta be the best mod I have done yet. I thought everyone on this board should know about it. I heard about it on Hyundaiperformance.com. Took me
    about a half hour to install. They claim the reduction in throw is about 40% and it feels like it. The shifter feel is now solid. Cost of the kit was $119.95 plus ship. To order call 1-877-472-3278 and ask for Chuck. Name of the company is RC Performance Products. I have no affiliation,just a happy customer.
  • mike91326mike91326 SoCalPosts: 245
    What did you have to do to install it? I think I'll get one for my 2001 GLS.
  • 5port5port Posts: 395
    The whole install is done from inside the car. Basically you remove the shift knob (unscrew),remove the shift console cover. Now with the shift tower exposed disconnect the two cables,remove a push-nut and a pin. Now you can open the top of the shift tower and lift out the stick. Install new stick after lubing it and reassemble. Tools required...needle nose, flat tipped screwdriver, hammer and an 8mm punch.
  • I'm looking to replace the stock CD player in my 2002 Elantra GT. First I want to know if there is any way to hook up an mp3 player to the stock radio. Second, does anyone have suggestions as to brands for a new stereo. I'm looking for either one that has mp3 playback capabilities or is low in price and has an aux connector.
This discussion has been closed.