Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hyundai Elantra Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• nareknarek Posts: 37
    Thanks for the the reply. My husband also came from the same 'school' as you. Every 4000 miles or 6 months he changes the oil in our vehicles. It has served us well, as we tend to keep all our vehicles until repair costs outweight the value of the vehicle. Last one that went to the junkyard had just turned 300,000 miles and was still running strong. That van idled so smoothly you hardly heard it when stopped. The original transmission finally went on it. That van never cost us anything but oil, filters, brakes, tires, belts, U-joints and one A/C compressor. :)

I think we're going to go with changing the oil every 3,000 miles on the Elantra. I'm already near the 1,000 mi mark, so we'll wait to do the first change in another month or so. It won't take me long to get to 3,000.
  • ctc1ctc1 Posts: 66
    Just bought a 08 Elantra SE and in the quick reference guide it says to inspect timing belt at 60k and replace at 90k. Has hyundai upgraded their timing belts.
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,686
    That could be, or is NJ one of those states (like CA) that prohibits manufacturers from requiring a timing belt replacement at 60k? Does it say anything about specific states in the maintenance schedule?
  • ctc1ctc1 Posts: 66
    It's not state specific, also see that most other maintenance item have also been extended, such as trans fluid and coolant. Good news for cost to own and concerns on warranty claims.
  • jlflemmonsjlflemmons Posts: 2,240
    It always did seem odd that the engine had a timing belt change interval of 60K in 49 states, and 100K in California on the '05 model (same engine). Maybe the belt is more mellow on the west coast???

:shades:
  • topfuel20topfuel20 Posts: 1
    You might never see this reply but I just had the very same problem with my 2001 Elantra. I was completely at a loss to figure out what was going on and decided to plough through the net for an answer. Straight away I discovered your problem and the reply and went straight to it on my car. All fixed in an instant. I feel like an idiot but I had no idea the fuse box was behind the tray. Thanks :mad: :surprise:
  • my2002gtmy2002gt Posts: 7
    Just a quick follow-up on my parking brake repair experience. It took two trips to the Riverton Suzuki/Hyundai Dealership. The first time they replaced brake cables (both sides) but they neglected to test the repair while the car was still on the rack 'cuz with the rear wheels off the ground and the parking brake fully applied the passenger side still spun freely. Second time in they did replace the passenger side caliper. Both cables and the new caliper were covered completely under the 4B extended warranty I purchased. Now I must say these folks were MUCH easier to deal with and INFINITELY more courteous and trustworthy than the folks I dealt with at Intermountain Hyundai. So, if you're ever in the Salt Lake Valley and in need of service, stay away from Intermountain. Riverton Hyundai is a bit more of a drive for me but well worth it. :)
  • nihao4587nihao4587 Posts: 43
    Howdy everybody,

I would like to have the pleasure to report my '02 GT (5-door) AT is doing well so far after 6-year of ownership.

It is currently at 55K miles and I just had 60K service (480), new battery (95), RR brake light (5) and rear brake pads (210) replaced at local dealers. The front pads still have 40% left and should last till 90K service (at which point I will have to spend over 400 for timing belt here in CA).

Except some trim issues, such as the black tapes on the doors, fixed under warranty early on, my car has not failed on me, not even once. Besides new tires at 35K, all other parts are still original unless mentioned above.

I bought Hyundai oil filter and washer online and used them when doing oil change at local shops. But always try to get the major things done at the dealer so that no BS later on should anything weird happens.

Overall, I really like the reliability and utility of this car.
  • ez888ez888 Posts: 39
    good to hear. its always nice to hear about cars performing well and meeting or exceeding expectations!

just curious about what's included at the 60K service? almost $500 is a pretty penny to spend.
  • nihao4587nihao4587 Posts: 43
    Yep, I agree with you totally. The price is kinda high. But that is the best one I got after calling around (there are about 5 Hyundai dealerships around san francisco bay area), which happens to be where I purchased mine originally. The one that is closest to where I live quoted nearly 700 for the exact same service, go figure.

The 60K service is basically all factory required stuff (I opted out all the fancy stuff the dealer recommended), such as all fluids, filters, and check-ups. I skipped tire-rotation since I have that with america's tire. Timing belt is another 400+ which I chose not to do at this time (it is warrantied till 90K in CA although dealer did push me a little to do it with 60K service).

Yeah, since price for everything is inflated, it is not unusual to see the service expense gone up ( I remotely remember the 60K service only cost 300 about 3 years ago with the same dealer).

Good luck.
  • kentavos22kentavos22 Posts: 13
    I have an 02 GT with about 136,000 miles on it. I did the timing belt at 110,000 which is about 10,000 miles short of when I normally see the timing belt go.

As far as the 60k service, I'd probably hesitate before doing it. Like I said, I have 136,000 miles on my car and it's still going strong. I live about 45 minutes away from the nearest Hyundai dealer so I do most of my own work and avoid the suggested services.

I've had to do routine stuff like brakes, tires, oils, wipers, headlights and battery. Beyond that, the only other work has been a timing belt and the clutch. The clutch was expensive, but I'm not surprised at it happening after 130,000 miles.

In other words, I'm not sure what the 60k service is going to do that will be worth $500.00.
  • bjc2bjc2 Posts: 28
    anyone know where the pcv valve is located in a 2001 elantra engine?
    thanks/
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,520
    Should plug into the valve cover at the front of the engine.

visiting host

thanks mr. shiftright .
  • I have a 1999 Elantra and for the past few months it has been accelerating slow at stop signs/lights. Occassionally, it drives fine, but usually if I have to come to a complete stop it does not have any acceleration until it reaches 25-35mph. I can have my foot all the down on the gas and it will just go. It is especially bad if I am at a bottom a hill trying to go.

The check engine light is on. I forget the exact codes, but basically there is a vacuum leak somewhere and I cannot find it. It recently had an emmisions test and passed but the CO2 reading was in the 300s. Is that normal?

It had its tranny worked on twice within the 1st 5 years I had the car and has never driven as smoothly as my family's same exact elantra.

Any thoughts of what it could be? It is really starting to annoy me as today I was holding up traffic.
    i had the same problem with my 2001 elantra about a year ago.it would/nt shift
    into first gear.i took it to my nearest hyundai dealer and they replaced a sensor
    on the transmission.it was fine after that . that might be the problem.good luck.
  • Correction: the timing belt IS NOT warrantied til 90K in Calif. It is recommended that the belt be changed at 90K.
    Belt covered in the initial 5yr bumper to bumper warranty, but not in the 10yr/100k mile warranty.
  • dria24dria24 Posts: 32
    hello,
    I have a 2001 elantra with 140,000 miles, its runs good, having problems with my check engine light, my mechanic says it now the AVAP system( anyone heard of this) the code reads 458 "very small leak" emission. he says there appears to be a small leak in the gas fuel system where there are two sensors and one canister, one of them has a pin hole. My check engine light will come on stay on for a couple of days then go off for about 5- 7 weeks, then return, when I fill my tank I always cut off the engine and use 89 octane gas. the car runs good, pickup is fine, in the past when the light come on there were different codes that we had fix. Does anyone know about this, the cost, and where parts can be obtained. I live in NYC and he is going to charge approx. $300.00 for repair which includes changing the two sensors and the canister, since you don't know which one has the hole. Please give me some insight on this problem asap.
    much thanks :confuse: :cry: :P
  • dria24dria24 Posts: 32
    hello
    can you tell me how my front headlights beams can be adjusted, they are too low.
    thanks
  • gomst1gomst1 Posts: 58
    Universal DTC (diagnostic trouble code) for a very small leak is P0456 not 458. Your EVAP system has a leak/hole of about .02 inch. The fuel system is a sealed system to prevent fuel vapors from escaping into the atmosphere. Fuel vapors are stored in the charcoal canister then later drawn/purged into the engine for combustion.

This could be as simple as a leaking gas cap or problems with the various components of the EVAP system. Replacing the two sensors and the charcoal canister will not guarranty a complete fix. The leak can be anywhere from a damage filler pipe to leaking vapor lines and sensors. Your best bet is to bring it to HYUNDAI as they have the proper tool to find the leak or you could try replacing the gas cap first and making sure that gas cap is properly tightened after every gas fill up. Good luck.
  • doohickiedoohickie Posts: 949
    The first thing to do if you have a small leak is to replace your gas cap.
  • My signal and hazard lights don't work and i need 2 replace the flasher on a 1998 Hyndai Elantra. Where is it located?
    Hyundai online service indicates Flasher Unit is located at the passenger compartment relay box. May I know how did you arrive at this diagnosis. If you know how to read electrical diagrams, I can email you the turn/hazard lamps schematics direct from Hyundai website.
  • That would be great if u would email me the schematics. realy would help out a lot! Thanx guy!
    Need your email address.
  • hizalfpizint@yahoo.com
    Mail is on the way.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Please do not post telephone numbers - the post was removed.
    Kennie

If you go to Body Electrical > Wiring > Main Harness it shows you a picture/location of the passenger compartment relay box. Hope that helps.