Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hyundai Elantra Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• I have a 2007 Hyundai Elantra with 34,000 miles that needs new transmission. It stared with the car shuttering between 35-40 mph then sometimes it would be like it missed a gear around 35-40mph. Took it to the dealer they said transmission fluid need changed. Had it done. Put 400miles on it. went back to the dealer still doing same thing. Now they say it needs a new transmission. It will be replaced under warranty.
    I was wondering if any one else is having this kind of trouble with this model or maybe this is just a rarer occurrence for this model.
  • Hi everyone,

We have a 2007 Elantra Limited which is great - there are only three small problems. One of them is making me question my memory.

If I recall, when the car was new, the dome light would come on after withdrawing the key from the ignition. Now it does not. The light still works and is set to the same position (door). I cannot find any mention of the courtesy light in the owner's manual, so now I am thinking "was that feature always there, or did I imagine it for the past two years?"

I just want to know if this feature exists before I ask the dealer to fix it.

Thanks so much!
  • Are mudguards covered under the bumper to bumper warranty for the Elantra? I have one which is cracked and needs to be replaced.
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,747
    If they were on the car when the dealer sold it to you, they should be. I've had other cosmetic stuff on the exterior (e.g. black tape on window frame) repaired under warranty. I suppose the question of whether the mud flap was subject to abnormal wear could be brought up (as if they could prove it), but if you know the service writers at the dealership at all, they will probably take care of you.
  • Did you see my post (3137) about the dome light? I figure if anyone knows the answer to this, it is you.
    I don't own that generation of Elantra so I don't think I can help you on the dome light. You've already checked the dome light switch. Just have the dealer take a look at it next time you are there for an oil change etc.
  • PatMatHatPatMatHat Posts: 15
    The OEM battery on my 2004 Elantra is failing. Can I change it myself, or do I have to go to a dealer? Reason I ask, is that I read somewhere that Hyundai has some peculiar design which allows only a very limited number of batteries. What size/type/code battery do I need, and where can I buy it? And can I install it myself without some outlandish tools? Thank you!
    I got a replacement for the battery in my 2001 Elantra (same basic design as 2004) at Sears a few years ago. There must be places besides Sears that offer batteries that fit the Elantra. Make a few calls or do some searching on the Web. Any good battery shop will be able to tell you what battery fits your Elantra. You could probably install it yourself if you are handy with tools, but in my experience the installation charge for a battery is pretty reasonable. When you have the shop install it, they can also dispose of the old one for you--one more job you don't have to do.
    Thanks, Backy. A web search turned up nothing for me, no info anywhere regarding the specific battery, except a rant about how hard it is to get it changed:

http://www.mombu.com/asian_cars/asiancars/t-hyundai-elantra-batteries-hard-to-fi- nd-outside-of-dealers-where-they-are-expensive-and-special-1297801.html

So that's a bust. Looks like I'm out of luck - the mysterious super complicated Hyundai battery :) Anyhow, it looks like I'm better off not trying to do anything as fancy-pants as changing a battery on a Hyundai Elantra, and I'd better sheepishly turn up begging at a dealership. I'm very grateful that info on putting gas in this vehicle is readily available - at least *something* is userfriendly here :)
  • tenpin288tenpin288 Posts: 804
    Do you have an Autozone or similar near you? I just checked their website and they list a DuraLast battery, 24F-7H-DL, for your 2004 Elantra. It goes for $79.99 and $12 core charge. It has a 7yr warranty too! Check out NTB also. They list one for it.

FYI, they are the only one that lists one for that vintage Elantra. I checked Advance, Napa, and Interstate, so it is a difficult to find battery.
    There is the "old-fashioned way"--telephone. Try these places, whichever are near you:

Sears Auto Service Center
    Wal-mart (I think their batteries were just top-rated by CR)
    Batteries Plus
    Fleet Farm

I know there's others, but that's a start. Or just go to the dealer, plunk down your money, and it's done!
    Thank you very much, tenpin288 (btw. what does that name refer to... just curious :)). I love having the battery numbers and code on hand!

Backy - you are right of course, but I'm one of those savages who relies on the web, and I abhor the telephone... kids these days :) And yes, plunking down the money at a dealer sounds very tempting - gotta do my part to stimulate the economy... stupid dollars at work :)

I changed batteries on my toyotas, no issues, and I guess I though it'd be the same with the Elantra. No biggie. Love it here, and thank you both very much!
  • tenpin288tenpin288 Posts: 804
    If you mean Duralast, it's their house brand. ;)
    "Duralast" sounds like something you'd get out of a vending machine in a restroom, but whatever, as long as it has the juice :P
  • jlflemmonsjlflemmons Posts: 2,240
    I have changed these out before, and don't recall it being any big deal. I do know Interstate makes a replacement, as that is what went into my '05.
    Thanks, jlflemmons, yeah, I saw somewhere a post to the effect that there's a special "lip" at the bottom of Hyundai compliant batteries, and that that's rare, and that Interstate Batteries does indeed make a model like that, so that seems to check out. However, as the other posters indicated, Sears, Autozone, etc. show having batteries that fit the Elantra, so who knows. Backy may be right - perhaps just pay the dealer and not have to stress over the idiotic battery :) Really, I hate proprietary parts :(
    Since manufacturers other than Hyundai make a battery that fits the Elantra, it's not really accurate to say it's proprietary. A common size? Doesn't seem to be.
  • jlflemmonsjlflemmons Posts: 2,240
    The "lip" that is on the Elantra battery is actually found on most batteries these days. Every GM product I can think of uses that same lip to anchor to. Very few designs still use the over the top bracket. They tend to corrode.
  • bucmastibucmasti Posts: 1
    the light that shows which gear you are in next to the slelector lever does not illuminate. Any ideas as to why ?
    Light bulb burned out?

Fortunately there's still the indicator in the gauge cluster.
  • jayessjayess Posts: 59
    We recently picked up a 2006 Elantra with 26,300 miles which will be for my daughter after the school year. So I've been driving it around. Since we also have two Sonatas 07&08 I do compare the rides to some degree. The elantra feels as though it idles a bit rough in drive at a light or stopped in traffic while the sonatas idle more smoothly in my opinion. The tach indicates about 750 rpm and if I recall from the sticker under the hood 700-something is the correct idle speed. The alternator belt seems to be tight enough just from depressing it with my finger. So, does this sound normal for an elantra ? am I unfairly comparing it to a bigger car with a bigger engine ? Or does this sound like it needs to have something looked at and adjusted ? There's still a significant amount of mfg warranty but I just don't want to have the tech report back that they 'could not reproduce symptoms' and send me on my way. many thanks
    My experience in owning two Elantras of that generation is that they idle more "roughly" than a 07/08 Sonata. Without actually feeling how "rough" the idle is in your Elantra I can't say whether it's abnormal. You could have it checked by a mechanic if you are concerned.
  • heathenheathen Posts: 1
    My daughter lives 400 miles away and has a dead battery and needs to replace it. Positive cable connection to battery is not like anything I am familiar with. Says it looks like spoon. Any suggestions?
  • my2002gtmy2002gt Posts: 7
    Assuming the original plastic cap is still there, gently pry up the plastic cap from the side opposite the battery cable. The clamp is a cap style clamp where the stud the nut is screwed on to is the top of a cap-like claw style clamp. It simply requires loosening the small nut on the top of the clamp until the clamp can be lifted off the battery post. No need to take the nut completely off the stud. Just to the top of the stud should be enough. May take some gentle prying at that point to get the cap off the battery post.
  • Hi everyone - well the problem is sometimes it starts and sometimes it does'nt. We have only one dealer here in Halifax, so I am at their mercy. First I called them to get it in as my wife needs it for work, and was told it would be two weeks before they could see it, unless I broke down on the road and had a tow truck bring it in, Not the best customer service! I called Hyundai Canada and explained the situation and they called the dealer, 5 min later called me back and told me to bring the car in and the dealer would try and fit it in. When they got around to looking at it, they told us that the ignition antenna was not strong enough to activate the mircochip, and it would take two weeks to get one in. My question is 1) What are they talking about and 2) In the meantime is there anyway to get around this until the part comes in? Its no good having a good warranty if you cant get service! :confuse:
  • dumbguydumbguy Posts: 1
    not a really big car guy. lost my license for sixth months and finally got it back. around the same time i lost the keys to my 2004 hyundai elantra. being the dumb guy i am i left the battery hooked up so the battery just drained over time and with no keys at all i couldnt start it regularly. put a new battery in today and tried starting it and i got nothing. radio and car alarm were goin off but i got nothing that sounded like ignition. my thoughts are either a spark plug or bad connection somewhere. totally stumped and need some help.
  • brumfeltbrumfelt Posts: 7
    My 2000 Elantra is getting fire to the spark plugs but isn't getting any fuel. What different situations would cause this? Or what are the various things that would shut my fuel supply down completely. I can spray a little starting fluid directly into the air intake and it fires right up. However, once that burns up I'm back to not starting again?? Please help with any info you may have from past experiences with the Elantra or any other vehicle related to fuel problems.

Thanks

BWR
  • zigadabuzzzigadabuzz Posts: 3
    Clogged Filter or bad fuel pump. I am leaning toward the fuel pump.
  • stephen987stephen987 Posts: 1,994
    Change the filter first--it's easy and cheap, and probably needs doing anyway.
  • brumfeltbrumfelt Posts: 7
    I will change the filter first and go from there. However, I could not find a fuse or relay in either the panel under the dash or the panel under the hood that was labeled for the fuel pump. Do you know anything regarding where the fuel pump fuse or relay might be located or how it is labeled??? Am I missing something?? Thanks zigadabuzz for any additional info.....