Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hyundai Elantra Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,854
    Of course I don't know any of the details, but it's pretty near impossible for 3 sets of lifters to be defective out of the box. My guess is that something else is damaging these lifters. Has anyone checked camshaft wear, or the oil pump?

• sakhisakhi Posts: 4
    Evening Mr Shiftright, well i've got 300k's on de clock and as for the oilpump i've changed it once with the hydraulic lifters; so at 1st it goes quiet and then after a month or so it goes back to being a tractor (noisy lifters) i'm not sure what the cause could be but i've been adviced that i should use heavier or richer oil thou! And as for the camshaft its a bit weary on 1 side and the machenic adviced that i get another 1 coz other holders are a bit loose as well which i think that will result in wearing off the lifters. And i've been experiencing long starting; as it takes much longer than usual for the car to start and i have to start and hold the key until it start and this happens regardless of the time of day or weather temp as well. Or by the way sorry for the late reply; Sakhi!
    I'm not very keen on running new lifters with an old camshaft. Maybe a synthetic oil would help here....with an engine of such extreme mileage, it's hard to say about bearing health as well...oil pressure is dependent on bearing wear, not on the oil pump itself.

• simmsimm Posts: 6
    I have an 07 Hyundai Elantra GLS with about 41,000 miles on it. I had the brakes inspected by a tire place and they told me they are still good. I'm not having any issue with the breaks but I was under the impression that Hyundai's brakes wear out fairly quickly. I just dont want to wait to long and possibly cause damage to the rotars or anything else. Your suggestions are much appreciated.
  • jlflemmonsjlflemmons Posts: 2,240
    Brake wear is one of those things where your mileage certainly may vary! A good driver who does gentle stops with the majority of the mileage on the highway can get amazing mileage out of a set of pads. On the other end of the spectrum, hard stop and go driving can wear brake pads much more quickly, and in far fewer miles.

That being said, the only time I felt that the pads on an Elantra seemed to wear quickly was on a '05 GT that was driven, shall we say, in a spirited fashion? :shades: The rear pads on a GT were small and non-metallic, hence the faster wear. Just check for pad thickness when changing the oil or rotating the tires. The pads will not just suddenly "disappear" unless some other failure has occured such as a stuck caliper. If the brakes are smooth and even with a good firm pedal, enjoy the ride.
  • Didn't do the "brake job" 'til 100k on our '05 GT (all hwy miles of course and driven like a baby...at 70mph for the most part...back and forth...back and forth). Closing in on 140k now and she's doing fine. Like you said, it's how ya drive...or WHO is doing the driving. Kid's turning 16 here shortly. Oh noooooo! :surprise:
  • simmsimm Posts: 6
    Thanks for all the help
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,717
    I called my local Hyundai dealer today to check on the price for the 60k service on a 2001-6 vintage Elantra (it's a long story why I needed to ask them). I about bruised my jaw on the desk when the service guy said, casually, "$1099". He said half of that was the timing belt replacement. Now, I know the 60k service is a big one, but THAT big?? Has anyone had this service done recently, where did you have it done (dealer or not), and what did it cost? Thanks!

BTW, Edmunds has the cost for this service at about $480, but they didn't include replacing the transmission fluid, which is recommended at 60k. But still a LOT less than $1100.
    Backy,

I just picked up my 2010 Elantra Touring SE. Note that this is the same 2.0L engine Hyundai has used since what, 2001? The timing belt change interval is now 90K miles for normal driving, 60K for harsh. My guys here say just under $500 for the timing belt. The tranny fluid is easy as there is no filter to change. $1100 seems pretty steep to me.

Jim
  • fushigifushigi Posts: 1,235
    My wife's '01 GLS is at 74ish K miles. She paid for the 60K service but I don't recall it being anywhere near that. Maybe somewhere in the $600s.

FWIW she does her other maintenance - oil changes and whatnot - at a Meineke that's within walking distance of our house. They can do the full scheduled maintenance including timing belt. I'm normally a proponent of dealer service as my experience has shown it to be just marginally more expensive but in your case you definitely should call around.
    Thanks for replies. I will definitely call around if I need the service done, there's a couple shops in my neighborhood that specialize in foreign cars that will likely be less.

BTW, the reason I needed this info is I am looking at a 2002 Elantra GT with 63k miles. My 2004 GT is lonely and wants some companionship. :) This GT is equipped exactly like mine, fully loaded, except two years older and silver. My teenaged son will likely need a car soon when he gets a job, and when he goes off to college this summer we'll need another set of wheels anyway. The car looks like a great deal (low miles, excellent condition, no accidents, new tires) except the dealer can't confirm it's had the 60k service. So what I might do is use the $1100 (which is from a Hyundai dealer in the same dealership group) as a bargaining chip, or require they have the service done before delivery (I did that with a 626 I bought a few years ago).
  • jacktbjacktb Posts: 41
    Timing Belt Jack is not surprised the interval is now 90,000. I contend that's what it should have been all along.

I had my 2005 belt changed recently, which is part of the 60,000 mile service, and the total was indeed a whopping $1,100. Never again will I have this service done at a Hyundai dealer. Use an independent shop and just get the basics done like the belt and fluids. Do it at 90,000. The 60,000 mile service is premature and excessive.

FWIW, I live in Chicago and used a dealer in a near north suburb.
    Good Morning Mr Shiftright, sorry for a late reply but was just too busy at work and i only saw the message now. I think i'll have to seriously save up and have my camshaft re-sized before putting in new lifters and have my bearings checked as well, to see if it'll come right this time. And as for the synthetic oil; what kind of oil is that cause i've been using a much more thicker oil and still there's no reduction on the noise level; please advice.
    Synthetic is a superior oil that has many beneficial qualities, including long life and the ability to flow very well at cold temperatures. It quieted down the lifter noise on my Subaru but didn't eliminate it on cold start-ups.

• retskiretski Posts: 1
    edited March 2010
    I bought a new oil pan and gasket for my 2000 Hyundai Elantra and need some help on the steps to replace it.

I noticed a large "bracket" that covers half of the pan. I can't quite figure out what the bracket is being used for and am not sure if I can simply remove it to remove the pan or if there is more work involved.

Any suggestions?
    Afternoon Mr Shiftright, so as to your Subaru; did you manage to find a solution for the noisy lifter noises or did you opt for the Synthetic oil? Cause i'm really getting weary of this noise now and i don't feel up to spending on new lifters again!
    I just got used to it, and for a Subaru 2.5L, this is somewhat normal. But for your car, it's hard for me to comment without hearing how loud it really is and for how long it lasts. A faint tick tick tick for a few minutes in the morning is okay by me, but a really loud clackety clack sound for more than that, or after a car warms up, strikes me as something of a problem. You might also try a factory oil filter next time. Some engines are sensitive not only to oil weights, but the type of filter.

• How do you remove the hubs so that you can replace the brake shoes?
  • lawrenflawrenf Posts: 1
    Hello,

Could someone advise without my checking all 3300 posts, what are the truly NECESSARY items to service on a 2003 Elantra at 200,000 km? I've completed all routine maintenance.
    Likely a timing chain? (had it done before at 100,000 km) What else?

Thanks so much for any input!
    I would not change the timing belt again at 200km. I would flush and fill the coolant, change the oil and filter, and if it runs well, leave the rest alone.

Except for fluids, I'd go 150km for the belt. I'm gaining a lot of maintenance experience with these cars (I have three), and have come to the conclusion that the 60,000 mile service is premature in the real world. Not to mention the excessive charges associated with it.

Since my last timing belt post, I have learned that some auto manufacturers put the belt replacement at 90k miles since the 1990s when the belts were not as strong as later years.

Just my observation and opinion. Hope it helps! --Jack
    I just bought my 3rd Elantra with the 2.0L engine. The owners manual now states that under normal driving, change the belt at 90K miles.
    I was glad to see that. Remember, you heard it here first! --Jack
  • flebberflebber Posts: 2
    Wonder if anyone could tell me how or point me to a guide on how to change the spark plugs on a 2000 hyundai lantra.

I have changed spark plugs on other cars before, but the spark plugs in this case appear to be jammed behind the head with a metal bar running behind it and wires coming out. Looks difficult is it or is there a logical solution?.

I have done the oil and filter, air filter, just wanted to change the spark plugs and by the sounds of it the fan belt.

This is not my car I am servicing it for my old mans birthday.

Any help appreciated.
  • texastravelertexastraveler Posts: 1
    edited April 2010
    My '08 Elantra is near 60K and I'm trying to get a price on timing belt replacement. The service writer at the local dealer says they can't give an estimate without first looking into the motor, and that the timing belt is just one part of a larger package of work that has to be done. I told him I was going to call around for estimates, and he said the remaining warranty could be voided if I go to an independent garage. Can all of this be true?
  • tenpin288tenpin288 Posts: 804
    edited April 2010
    told him I was going to call around for estimates, and he said the remaining warranty could be voided if I go to an independent garage. Can all of this be true?

Nope! By federal law, you can take it anywhere to get the work done. As long as the parts used meet or exceed Hyundai specs they can't void your warranty unless they can show that the parts or work were substandard. Just be sure to keep all your receipts and documentation.

Just in case you need to bolster your case with this dealership, here is a link to a letter from K&N Filters which deals with this topic and the info included in it is applicable in your case.

http://www.knfilters.com/warrantyletter.htm
    I would steer clear of that dealership in the future if I were you. They are not being honest with you. What else might they not be honest about?

Also, my Hyundai dealer was happy to give me a quote for the 60k service w/o looking at my Elantra. It was just under $1100 (!), including timing belt. So when the time comes for that service, I will look around at other shops also.
  • I have taken my Elantra to service six times now and the Airbag light keeps coming back on. It happens either five minutes after I leave the dealer or a day or two after each visit. The services reps have indicated "tension" or "Stress" under "the seat" (has to be driver or passenger) but every time I asked I was never told which one it was. At one point I took my car to the dealer and the problem was fixed until I picked up a friend and the very second he sat down on the passenger seat (front right seat) the light turned on... On a subsequent visit to the dealer I was told not to store anything under the seats and even though I took out the first aid kit I was carrying under the seat the light keeps coming back on. I went to the Pasadena Dealer 5 times. The sixth time I went to Glendale and the same thing. I was hoping a different dealer would fix the problem.

Any suggestions? Who can I contact at Hyundai to complain?
  • jayessjayess Posts: 59
    Sounds like these folks are looking to go on a fishing expedition, I'd keep my distance from them! My dealer has exact prices posted on a board above the service writers desk for timing belt/chain by 4 and 6 cylinder $385 and $685 respectively if I remember correctly - along with alignment, oil change, coolant, ATX and brake fluid exchanges, state inspection etc . Also the 30/60/90k mile services etc are printed in a serivce booklet along these services above and various others.