Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hyundai Elantra Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• itc55itc55 Posts: 3
    Thanks -- I'll check out the 2012 forum. I was wondering why there was a place for 2012 and not 2011. Now I know...
  • Hmmmm.......

I will have to look at mine to see if it has the same issue when I return from vacation!
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,769
    I can assure you that this rear carpet problem is NOT common to all 2011 Elantras. I know because today I gave a 2011 Elantra on the showfloor of my local dealer a good going-over, and specifically checked the fit of the rear carpet. It looked fine, i.e. fitted to the floor, and tucked neatly under the rear seat cushion.

If I were you I'd go back to the dealer, and ask the service manager to accompany you as you both inspect a few 2011 Elantras on their lot (once they get some in), and compare the rear carpet to your car's. And tell the service manager you want your carpet fixed/replaced under warranty. If they won't do it, tell the service manager you want to talk with the Hyundai district customer service manager (or whatever they are called).

You could also try a different dealer... one that is more interested in satisfying its customers.
  • Seems like you are living my life...;-) Except that I went a couple steps further. I did replace the tranny since I purchased the car (@93K miles) for a reasonable price. The tran went at about 100K, but what got my goat was the fact that it went AGAIN in less than 40K miles. Unfortunately, I was outside of the tranny shops warranty. Anyway the engine also blew around 129K and I replaced that (just before the tranny went south the second time). At this point, I am a little weary and not considering I got such a good deal after having spent approximately 3 times the original cost of the car over the past three years of use. I have heard that the 1997 model was a turning point for Hyundai...just wish I would have known that ahead of time. I'm actually selling the car to a mechanic this afternoon for basically the cost of one of my many repair bills...I'm feeling lucky!
  • If both my fog lights are out on my 2008 hyundai elantra (72,000 Miles) then is that the fuse or the bulbs ?
  • bob441bob441 Posts: 1
    I needed a new wheel bearing. Mechanic replaced hub and bearing. When I pointed out that the two screws on the front of hub did not match up was told that wouldn't hurt anything. The next day I contacted a mechanic at dealer and was told the wrong part was used. He would not say if not having two front screws was ok or not.
    The car is driving good now. I was hearing a very bad grinding noise.
    Do you think there could be any problems without the two screws?
  • mike_s2mike_s2 Posts: 1
    Can anyone give me a basic idea on how to replace the radiator in my Elantra? I do have average to maybe a little above repair experience but do not want to get in over my head.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 45,669
    RADIATOR

REMOVAL
    Drain the engine coolant.

Remove the upper and lower radiator hoses and ATF (automatic transmission fluid) cooler hoses.

Disconnect the fan motor connector
    Separate the air conditioner condenser with radiator.
    Remove the heat shield.
    Remove the battery and battery tray.

Remove the air duct and make the task space.
    Remove the reservoir tank and make the task space. (10 mm bolts)

Remove the radiator upper bracket (10mm bolts) then pull up the radiator.
    Remove the cooling fan from the radiator.

INSTALLATION

Install the cooling fan to the radiator.
    Install the radiator at the air conditioner condenser. Installation is in the reverse order of removal.
    Connect the fan motor connector.
    Install the upper and lower radiator hoses, and ATF cooler hoses.
    Fill with engine coolant.
    Start engine and check for leaks.

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

• I had a Nissan Sentra for fourteen years and 160,000 miles with very few real problems. But eight years ago I puchased a two-year old 2001 Elantra. I swear to you that the minute that car hit 100,000 miles everything major that could go wrong with it, did go wrong. For example,this summer I had to have the air conditioner fixed because of a major leak; cost: $990. Two weeks after that, my electric windows would periodically fail to raise or lower. The problem is still not fixed but the mechanics just figured out that the wires are corroded between the door panels and body of the car; the kits to replace them, before labor, will cost $1320.

I won't even go into all the other costs of just routine maintenance, which are also very high (ok, belts replaced: $750.)

I am warning you that Hyundai's, in my opinion, are financial disasters waiting to happen. I am a private school teacher, and the huge costs to me are taking major hit on my savings.

Put simply: I will never buy a Hyundai again, and I advise anyone here not to do so either.
  • You're barking up the wrong tree, people that read this already own Hyundais for the most part. Also, I have a 2002 Elantra that has had minimal problems and has 150,000 miles on it. I'm about to get my second timing belt on it and it will cost me around $450. You have to shop around for those kinds of things otherwise people will charge you $750.

I'll probably always buy Hyundais, to each their own.
  • Awesome response, perno. My thoughts exactly! But ya know, if what this person said were true about ALL Hyundais, wouldn't these new Elantras and Sonatas come with DEEEEEP discounts? Nope. Appears they are damn near getting MSRP for these things. Imagine that. :)
  • sandman_6472sandman_6472 Coral Springs, FLPosts: 2,743
    So far, it's been a great little car for my daughter...last month I complained that one of the sun visors was not staying up...they replaced them both under warranty! Besides that, only had to do oil changes/rotation and that's it. We're so pleased that the Elantra and Accent are on my wife's short list. So after having a Hyundai product in the family since 2008, I'd say it's just as reliable as the other Japanese brands...and we also own a Nissan, Honda and a Mazda...all great cars also!

The Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

2014 Hyundai Tuscon SE/2005 Mazda 3s/2008 Hyundai Accent GLS/2009 Nissan Versa SL hatch

• to ezra,I think that their can be problems with all cars,certain makes do seem to be more reliable than others,you probaly pay for those as well.
    I owned 2 jeep yj's over 20 years,traded the last for a 2003 kia rio wagon when my wife and I had kids.The Kia has been faily reliable with just over 90,000 kms on it.
    Back in 88 my wife bought a 85 hyundai pony,It has 157,000 kms on it,which is low for the year.People make jokes about it and I understand its a cheaply made car but its been a great car as a dailydriver,not much has really gone wrong with it besides a cracked distibutor cap causing arcing and the pistons wanting to turn at different times(sounded like a hammer on the hood).
    Sadly the old pony is starting to blow blue,and I had trouble passing aircare this year,its also a little beat up from some accidents so I've been looking at used cars most of the summer looking to replace my DD.
    I looked at another Kia wagon,subaru outback,ford focus wagon,but I've decided on another Hyundai,a 2000 elantra wagon,getting it inspected this weekend,already test drove it,ran straight and true,cosmetically its a 11 year old car but I think this car will be as reliable as my last 26 year old hyundai.The only thing that concerns me is the power windows failing,but I've read that about the ford focus as well.
    I think Hyundai make good cars,If I could afford a new accent or elantra I'd get one.Everyone has their opinion I hope you get a car your happy with ezra,make mine a Hyundai
  • 10 years old, 100,000+ miles, bought used, (so you do not know what abuse it had before you bought it). Old A/C lines can leak, and where do you live that might add to your chance of corrosion. I am guessing the first 9 years were not too bad as you are just now complaining.
  • My manual shows below coin box--yet nothing---i looked completely and saw wiring, connectin only--my relay box under hd and no issues with that. As I want to find out if my rear marker light has a blown fuse-yet turn signal and flashers work---quoted a $$ fee I cannot pay for the fix--any help appreciated
    Teresa
  • My wife's Elantra had a shim the first time that the repair shop changed the tires. I pulled all four wheels & ground the center holes out. It appears that the wheels fit much to tight to start with & after 25K miles there was enough rust to keep the rims from seating against the hubs. Retorqued to 80# & problem solved !! The car now has 89K miles & I just changed the tires out for the winter ! Snow Tires for the next four months in upstate NY.
    Personally I don't care for the car. I'm 6'3" & 215# & always feel cramped. On the other hand it beats the tar out of the gas milage on the truck !!
  • We have a 2000 Elantra GLS (auto) and have owned it since it had fewer than 10,000 miles on it. It now has about 130,000 miles on it. Here is a brief history: A few years after purchase we got in a minor fender bender. Nothing but aesthetic damage (as far as we know) and the hood hasn't quite fit right ever since (barely noticeable really). Shortly thereafter the car overheated which I think caused some of the rubber seals to melt because ever since then it's burned oil very slowly (about a quart every 2 or 3 months). At some point the engine also ran with almost no oil in it for a little while because we hadn't discovered the fact that the oil was burning off.

It's been 3 or 4 years since we've had any issues with the engine that wasn't minor (hoses being replaced, etc) but recently the engine has had a hard time starting. When I opened the oil compartment to put new oil in I saw a few ounces of white-yellow goo on the back of the oil cap. In my experience this means a blown head gasket or a cracked head.

Traditionally people would just replace the car in this condition, but I'm much more keen on the idea of just replacing the engine to get another 10 years out of the car. What engine replacement options do I have for this car? Are there new engines out there I can buy for it? Is there an engine I can buy that will give me more power and be fresh and new and good? Should I replace the transmission at the same time? As I stated above it is an auto. My father-in-law was all excited about us getting an Accord VTech engine but then said it wouldn't be possible since it's an automatic transmission. I don't really know why.

Also, what is the presiding wisdom on how long a car can run under these current conditions? Does a few ounces of white goo mean I have a few hours left before it will die, or do I have another 10,000 miles on it potentially? I realize there's no exact science here so guestimates work fine for me. I do think I noticed a tiny amount of goo in the same place 6 months ago or so.

Thanks for your help everyone!
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,769
    edited December 2011
    I think it unlikely you can find a new engine for a 2000 Elantra. At best you'd get a remanufactured engine or a used engine. And it would be pricey. Putting anything other than the factory-spec engine into the car, e.g. a Honda engine, would be a tricky proposition. You might be able to get a newer Beta engine, e.g. Beta II, to fit, but I really don't know. You should check with a good mechanic who knows Hyundais on that.

If it were me, I wouldn't put that much money into a 12 year old car, one that was designed in the mid-'90s and fairly crude by modern standards. One alternative to consider is to replace the car. I just checked within 100 miles of me using a well-known Internet car locator service and found 3 2001-2002 Elantras with under 125k miles for under $4,000 asking price. These cars are a generation newer than your 2000 and IMO are far superior cars. One of these was a 2002 GT hatch, which is a very nice car for the money (I have a 2004 GT hatch). Or you could look for other cars in that price range.
  • I had an acquaintance that had a probe (I think it was) that paid a few thousand to get a new engine in it for purposes of beefing it up. Do you think they just found someone that new probes well? Or are probes easily upgraded?

Thanks for your help
  • I have a 2002 Elantra GLS with 5-speed manual transmission and 48k miles. (yep only 48k. I work from home and the car sits in the garage 3-4 days a week) I bought the car new. It has not had a hard life.

The car has developed an intermittant shifting problem. When shifting, the RPMs increase to 4000-4500+, and accelleration is next to nothing. I let up off the gas, and things recover until I shift to the next gear. It acts as though I had the clutch peddle half way down.

The problem is very intermittant. It occurs one day, then is fine for 2-3 weeks. A couple times, the Elantra was fine the first part of a shoping trip, had the problem in the middle, then was fine again the last part of the trip.

My mechanic didn't find any obvious problems during a quick inspection. We both kinda feel that if the clutch was the problem, then the problem would occur frequently. Any ideas?
  • joey_cjoey_c Posts: 2
    I slightly bottomed out my 2012 Elantra and scraped the bottom front bumper. It is hardly noticeable, but it bothers me being a new car. The dealer can only offer me a touch up and I want it fixed right. Does anyone know of any aftermarket parts like a Bra or a front bumper guard that could be installed to hide this??? I don';t want to go through the expense of a body shop. They want to do the entire front bumper and it is costly

Thanks!
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 45,669
    Really to repaint it shouldn't cost more than maybe $300--$400. You should shop around for prices. The dealer also probably knows people who do it cheaply for him on his used cars.

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

• joey_cjoey_c Posts: 2
    Thanks - that's exactly what I am going to do - I tried doing it myself and made things worse....
  • rudy66rudy66 Posts: 26
    My mechanic told me that if I wanted to buy a car for 200,000 miles I should get a Honda. For 100,000 miles a Hyundai will do OK. Ironic isn't it?
  • ars1234ars1234 Posts: 1
    Hi....I recently purchased a 2013 Elantra and am considering buying a protection plan for the car. The dealer is offering Costguard warranty for around $1100 for a 10 year protection (with 0 deductible at the dealership). I looked up online and you can get Hyundai Protection Plan for slightly more $1600 with 0 deductible at all Hyundai dealerships (http://www.hyundaiextendedwarranty-hpp.com/PDF/HPPbrochure.pdf)

Any advice?

Also, is the HPP backed by Hyundai?
  • fushigifushigi Posts: 1,248
    Realize that the $1100-1600 is only buying an extension of the bumper-to-bumper warranty from 60K miles to 100K. You already have 10 years of powertrain warranty so you're paying quite a bit to cover the parts that aren't actually essential to driving.

Hyundai's plan does have one other benefit: It also makes the full warranty transferable should you sell the car before the warranty expires.

Also, you should be able to buy the extended warranty at any time up until the manufacturer warranty runs out. So you can defer this decision (and the associated expense) for awhile.

What many here suggest is this: Take the cost of the warranty and set it aside in a savings or investment account. If you need to make any repairs, pay for it out of the account. If the account runs out, then the warranty might have been worthwhile. But if the account doesn't run out, or isn't even tapped, you've got funds to devote to your next car purchase or some other expense.

I used to buy the extended warranties but have stopped doing so. Cars are generally more reliable and base warranties are improving so the odds of having to pay for repairs out of pocket is going down.
  • Hi

I have a elantra xd 2005 and I have the wind noise on A pillar . I have seprated the mirrors and the wind noise was removed completly . who can give me a proper way.
  • jlm53jlm53 Posts: 2
    Does anyone have a product that is effective in cleaning the clothe upholstry on 2011 elantra? I purchased several car upholstry cleaners, but none have gotten any of the stains out. One of the stains is grease from Chinese take-out, but there are other stains from other "treats" eatten by kids in the back seat. Everything that drops stains, and even prompt clean up is unsuccessful in eliminating the stains.
  • I have a 2004 Hyundai Elantra and the low beam headlights just stopped working. The high beams work fine. Does anyone know if they are on different fuses?

Thanks,
    Robyn
  • bhmr59bhmr59 Posts: 1,598
    Have you checked to see if the bulbs burned out? I've had to replace the ones on my '05 Sonata a couple times (I drive with headlights on all the time).