Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hyundai Elantra Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• jlflemmonsjlflemmons Posts: 2,240
    Hyundai has an excellent web site with parts and technical information available on all their models. You must register to use the technical portions, but registration is free. The web site to begin from is: http://www.hyundaiusa.com/

I pulled the text from the TSB section. Do a search in the TSB section for "throttle body cleaning and service"

Jim
  • bjc2bjc2 Posts: 28
    i have a 2001 elantra with 75k on it that i bought new.
    recently while driving it i heard a thud type of noise
    that came from the transmission.the check engine light
    came on and it would not shift out of the gear it was in.
    i pulled over to side of the road and turned the engine
    off.when i restarted the engine and got back on the road
    it was fine.anybody ever have this problem?
    bjc
  • You need to get that Check Engine Light checked out by a dealer. Even if it isn't still on, there may be a record of the fault stored.

If the car is running okay now, I'm betting it is one of the speed sensors (one on the right front wheel* and one on the transmission), or the shift-select switch.

I would get it checked out sooner, rather than later, because if it repeats it could do real transmission damage.

*On ABS-equipped models, each wheel has a speed sensor.
    thanks doohickey for responding to post on trans problem .
    i will get it checked out as soon as possible.
  • Yes, I agree!!! I learned a very valuable lesson!!!! My engine just blew up in my car because my timing belt broke...I had just bought the car privately in March of this year, and had no trouble until it gave out on me. It had approximately 46,000 miles when I bought it, and now it has just 54,000 on it. I was floored when I heard that the engine was blown. Thankfully I had gotten my car off of the main highway before it shut off on me completely. Now it's going to cost me $1,800 to get it fixed. The really sad thing is that I was just going to get it serviced when I took it for inspection this month...It gave out about a week ago. Argh!
  • doohickiedoohickie Posts: 949
    If your car was first bought less than five years ago, THAT IS UNDER WARRANTY. The five-year, 60,000 mile basic warranty is fully transferrable and covers a broken timing belt.
  • I bought it privately in March of this year. It is a 2000 Hyundai Elantra GLS. I already tried this with the warranty, because that's what I figured would cover it. The Hyundai place out in Utah, told me that I would have to do some investigative work...which included calling the person who had owned it before me, and seeing if they had any work done to it, and if within 48 months/60,000 they had gotten that serviced or replaced, then it would be covered. Or if the person before them had gotten work done to it. But I tried to call the guy who I bought it off of, and he never called back, so I believe it is something that he knew before he sold it. My car didn't come with and owner's manual, and i am not even sure if he had it when he owned it either. I believe that he could tell something was going out on it, but wasn't sure exactly what it was. He and his wife were having an addition to the family and wanted to invest in a minivan rather than a small passenger car. So I'm not really sure what to think of this!
    A 2000? Sorry, you're eating it.
    i just got my 01 elantra back from the dealer yesterday. you
    were right. they said it was a input sensor that was open.
    it was not covered under the original warranty but was
    covered under my extended warranty.i am glad i got it when
    i bought the car.
    i was sorry to hear about your timing belt problem.you might
    try calling hyundais consumer affairs phone number 1-800-633
    5151 and tell them what the dealer told you.what the heck.
    it;s worth a try.good luck.
  • I changed the thermostat and this did not fix my prob. I run the car and is is find while I am on the road after ten minutes It starts to over heat. If I stop and let the car idle the car goes back to the standard temp. Please help. is it a relay issue?
    i've had a couple of cars in the past that had this problem.
    both times it was the water pump.you might also check the
    belt's to make sure thier tight enough.
    This can also be caused by a restricted radiator. Check to see if the overflow bottle is filling up. If there is a restriction in the radiator, the coolant returning to the radiator cannot flow through fast enoungh when the pump is turning faster, so it will bypass over to the overflow tank, sometimes to the point of overflowing the tank.
  • 5port5port Posts: 395
    This can also be caused by a collapsing radiator hose. They key is when you are at idle it works OK. As the revs rise the hose collapses due to suction. Have someone watch the hoses as you rev the engine.
  • emloemlo Posts: 7
    My coworker drove a 2000 Elantra wagon, until--without warning--smoke/steam was emanating from the hood, she suddenly lost power, and was forced to pull off a busy highway w/ children in tow. The car was towed to the dealer from where she purchased it, where the mechanic declared the engine was blown.

It is now Day 5 1/2; the dealer wanted ALL service records, which she provided. TOday, she was informed for 1st time that a warranty rep needed to review docs, AND that she needed to cough up $300 so that their mechanic could fully inspect the vehicle(!!). The car had 74k on it; for routine stuff (oil changes, brakes) she took elsewhere but major stuff it went to dealer to fix.

She is renting a car and wants resolution immediately. She is convinced Hyundai must replace engine b/c it's under warranty. Dealer is obviously stalling--and, to rub salt in wound, dealer wouldn't even give her a loaner car even though they had available.....

Has anyone had experience w/ trying to enforce warranty w/ this behemoth wealthy Korean car company???? Any advice?? Getting another car is not an option.....

Thanks!!
  • snakeweaselsnakeweasel a Certified Edmunds Poster.Posts: 11,571
    Well I hope she has all her service records and had the oil changed in a timely manner.

I have a 2000 wagon and the only warranty work I had done was replacement of the exhaust manifold at 120+K miles (they were defective so Hyundai extended the warranty to 10 years unlimited miles on them). They did it no questions asked, just fixed it called me and told me to pick it up.

There are three types of people in this world. Those who are good at math and those who are not.

When was the car put into service? If it was first put into service prior to October 2001, or if she is not the orignal owner, there is no warranty.

Contact Hyundai corporate directly and advise them what is happening. Phone numbers are in the owners manual or you can find them at HyundaiUSA.com.
    "When was the car put into service? If it was first put into service prior to October 2001, or if she is not the orignal owner, there is no warranty."

Did Hyundai not have a 10 year/100K warranty prior to 10/01? I know the second and subsequent owners only got 5 years, 60K, but I didn't know when the 10year/100k warranty was put into place for original owners.