Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hyundai Elantra Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• colloquorcolloquor Posts: 482
    Yes, the previous gen (XD) Elantra received the new generation's Elantra's head, and timing belt tensioner, toward the end of the XD's production run (late Spring and early Summer 2006). Most of the remaining 2006's on the lots when the 2007's hit the stores included these engine changes. Interestingly, the last production run also has the rough-textured protective spray completely covering the lower-half of the rocker panels, unlike previous XD's. I am sure there were other changes or tweaks as well.
  • hello and thanks for the reply to my previous question. While I am at it I would like to ask what is an XD elantra and my darn light still is on hehehehe
  • jlflemmonsjlflemmons Posts: 2,240
    XD is the same as Elantra. I believe that is the name used in other countries.

Jim
  • thanks jim!!!!! i have been wondering thst 4 a while:0)
  • doohickiedoohickie Posts: 949
    XD is the platform name for Elantras sold in the U.S. from 2001 to 2006 model years. Prior to that, Elantras were on the J2 platform. The 2007 and later Elantra platform is the HD and the upcoming Elantra Touring (wagon) is the FD platform.
  • because i disconnected the battery lol i couldnt deal with it anymore hehehhe thanks for the help!!!!!!!!!!!
  • anyone have any tips on how to get just a little more pep out of my 05 elantra. i don't wanna race the thing but i bog down alot on the hill out of my town everyday and was wondering if i could get a little more pep. mabey???????????
  • worldlyworldly Posts: 23
    Next to the primary window sticker on my new Elantra was an additional sticker outlining dealer installed options. The additional sticker had the following information:

CAR CARE SYSTEM includes:

- EXTERIOR PROTECTION (Forms a clear shell to seal out damaging oxidation, pollutants, detergents, UV rays, acid rain, bird droppings, and tree sap. Carries a 5-year warranty.)

- INTERIOR PROTECTION w/BANOYL (Fabric has been thoroughly protected. Safeguards your car's interior from oil and water-based stains.)

- VINYL and LEATHER CONDITIONER (Vinyl and Leather has (sic) been treated to help keep it soft and supple.)

- CAR CARE KIT

The retail cost of this Car Care System Package is $995. I did not pay for it.

My questions are:

1. How do I know if the protection has actually been placed on the exterior/interior?
    2. Since my Elantra does not have leather, which vinyl parts can I check to see if they've been treated?
    3. If exterior protection has been added, and I can confirm it's actually on the vehicle, when do I apply my first coat of wax on the exterior?
    4. If I treated the interior with Armor All (or similar product), would it cause problems with BANOYL?
    5. I did not receive a Car Care Kit (as shown on the additional sticker). Since I didn't pay for this so-called "kit," should I be concerned?

Thank you for your comments.
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,681
    You might try calling the dealer's service dept (which doesn't know whether you did or did not pay for a Car Care Kit) and ask some of these questions. They were probably the people who applied (or didn't apply) the various treatments to the car, so they should know about waxing, interaction with Armor All etc.

A few musings:

* You should be able to tell if the paint protection is there and still working by how water beads (or doesn't) on the surface. When water stops beading, start waxing!

* I am confused about the BANOYL. It seems as if that is a fabric protector, but you are talking about using Armor All. Does Armor All offer a fabric protector? I'm used to using 3M Scotchgard for that purpose (and it has worked great for me, fwiw). What you could do is use the fabric and/or vinyl protectors of your choice on inconspicuous places (maybe hard to do for the fabric) and see what happens after a few weeks.
    The Hyundai dealer I trade with has done this since day one. And for each car I have bought from them, I start all negotiations with the removal of the "package" from negotiations. The first time they said "this is already installed and is included on all our cars" I just stood up and said I would go somewhere else that didn't charge $800 for a wax job, because that is all it is. I know what product they are using and finally got a buddy in makeready admit that, labor included, it costs less than $20 a car for the whole package.

They will make a big deal over the "coverage" that the package extends, but read the fine print carefully and you will find that it actually covers almost nothing, and what it does cover requires that either you provide proof that the "protection system" has been maintained, or you pay the dealer anually to re-apply.

This has got to be the biggest profit item in the whole deal, short of the finance offices.
    Another hefty money maker on sales is window tinting. Typically they charge $500 for window tinting as a dealer-installed option. A friend of a friend does tinting at his glass business, primarily for dealers. The cost? $139 for any car. Dealer Installed Options should be renamed Dealer Profit.

As for financing... I actually would have to say that was the very best part of the deal when I bought my Elantra. I had financing going in, but the finance guy found a local credit union (which we had previously used for auto financing) with a much lower rate than my pre-approved financing *and* Hyundai's best deal. I told the guy up front no warranties, etc., and he mentioned them in his talk but after paying lip-service because he was required to by the dealership, he moved on quickly. He even got me gap insurance for free by pointing out that I could get a lower interest rate if I got gap that covered the cost of the gap insurance.
    Financing a car in the Austin area is easy. The best rates, short of a blow-out manufacturer sponsored program, is Austin Telco FCU. Anyone can join for a one time deposit of $25. Very easy to deal with. Once you have paid off a couple of loans in good fashion and established your reliability, you can call them up, tell them you are going to go buy a whatever, and pretty much get approved on a phone call. Walk into the dealer, make your best deal, then tell them to call the loan officer you deal with and that's it. All the loan paper is done at the credit union in about five minutes. Most of the dealers have to bite the bullet in dealing with them as they do not pay a 'kick-back' to the dealer. They are typically 1/2 point below anyone else.
  • jlflemmons - I am right up I35 from you in the Fort Worth area and I wanted to ask you if you may know if there is a branch located here or can you request a few places in my general area. Thanks sir.
    I am afraid I don't do any dealings up in the Dallas metroplex, and Austin Telco is only in the Austin area. To give you an idea of current rates:

Vehicles - New
    (Cars, Trucks, Boats and RVs)
    24 Mo 4.99%
    36 Mo 5.19%
    48 Mo 5.29%
    60 Mo 5.39%
    66 Mo 5.49%
    72 Mo 5.59%

Assuming a good credit rating.
  • This is very useful and I appreciate it.
    I'm in Fort Worth and we've used EECU (arranged through two different dealers) to finance new cars at very competitive rates.

Also, if you're looking ot buy a Hyundai, there are a lot of good Hyundai dealers in the area, for sales, service and warranty work. If you want a little more info, email me and I'll give you my impressions about area dealerships.
  • doohickie - I sent you a email yesterday - let me know if you received it?

mrcellus
  • mxo11mxo11 Posts: 27
    Thanks to compensate (I believe) for the update. Here I am, with my 2002 GT still going (knock on wood). The only problems have been a faulty sensor (when the car was new) and the manifold (also under warranty).
    Anyway... The place where I get the oil changed (the quick-lube section at the dealership) always tests the power steering, brake, and other (are there others?) fluids. Last summer, the PS fluid was not, according to the mechanic, the color it was supposed to be. I had it changed (I thought, that after 6 years, it made sense it needed to be changed). However, a couple of weeks ago, they came up again with the same story. I had it changed again, but I'm starting to wonder if this is not another one of those tricks to have you spend your money on things that are not necessary. Any reason why the power steering fluid would go bad in less than a year?

Thanks!
  • nvbankernvbanker Posts: 7,285
    No reason it should go "bad" in 6 years. It never "hurts" to change it either. But yes, they are ripping you off with that story. Here's your sign: If it doesn't specify in the manual under maintenance to change it - you don't have to.
  • 05 Elantra. My wife and I have been driving sticks for 35 years, and if we want to go fast we'll use our G35, not an economy car we got for, well, economy.

Dealer refused to touch under warranty because we bought the car new from them 2 years ago. Tried to escalate to district or regional rep, but after Hyundai Consumer Affairs telling us they would do so, they turned around and changed their mind.

Even in the bad old American car days 30 years ago a Chevy or Ford area rep would at least somehow have split the cost of a repair like this.

Dealer admits there is no sign of racing or abuse, and would not check the flywheel.

Dealer wants to replace entire clutch assembly for $1200+, about 80% more than our normal local garage.

Funny thing is, we were out at the dealer a week earlier to look at Sonatas. No more Hyundais for us.

The best warranty in America is useless to us after 18,000 miles. We'll be telling our friends and relatives to drive by the Hyundai store.