Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hyundai Elantra Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• snakeweaselsnakeweasel a Certified Edmunds Poster.Posts: 11,706
    They are referring to the one in the fuel line. The one in the gas tank is designed to survive the fuel pump. On my car, a 2000, that is on the firewall on the drivers side. I would suspect that on newer cars it would be in or near the same place.

The sign said "No shoes, no shirt, no service", it didn't say anything about no pants.

• My car has about 125k miles on it. About a week ago, the power locks stopped working. I was having problems with my battery and was receiving frequent jumps until I could get a new one. My locks went out during this period. I got a new battery and I assumed that my locks would turn back on once I installed the new battery, but no luck. Any suggestions? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  • The filter in the line disappeared starting with the 2001 model. There is NO line filter. Only the one in the pump.
  • There is a techinical service bulletin on wire corrosion due to improperly sealed connectors going to the door. It could be that you have corrosion that affects operation of the locks, AND may also cause a short which would kill the battery.

Even though your car is out of warranty, you may ask the dealer about this. If the car has not been modified to remedy this problem, they might still fix it for free since it is a known defect.
  • nodulenodule Posts: 118
    Do the 2005 GLS model come already equuipped with a air
    cabin filter, and at what mileage do they need replacing?
    My independent shop I go to said I should replace when
    I do my 30K scheduled maintenance.
  • Doohickle......so that must mean that the filter in the
    fuel pump news replacing at 52,500 miles? Im confused here!
  • Some 05 Elantras have them, some don't. The air box is the same on all Elantras, but not all have the filter put in. The filter can be bought at a Hyundai dealer (part number 97133-2D000), or buy aftermarket (Bosch P3860). If buying aftermarket, you won't necessarily find an application for Elantra, but it is the same air box used on the 4-cylinder Tiburons.
  • That's a really good question, since the manual has that in there. I usually treat the manual as the prime source of information, but I believe the fuel filter replacement is a carryover from the previous generation. To be honest, I'm not really sure. It gets confusing since dealers don't generally want to replace the in-tank filters. I will probably change mine at about that mileage, though.
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,692
    That's really interesting that Hyundai put the pollen filters into some '05 Elantras and not all. Prior to '05, no Elantras in the U.S. came from the factory with the filters. But they could be installed easily enough, through the access point in the glovebox.
  • It's a mystery. I have heard of people with pre-05 Elantras getting the filters, though. It's almost like every so many cars, they put one in for the heck of it. :confuse:
    I wonder if the dealers installed those filters. Think of the revenue chain it would create--"Oh, you'll want to replace that filter now--that will be just $60!" every 15k miles or so. ;)
  • If that were the case, the dealer would make a point of telling you the filter was there, which mine didn't.
    But you do your own routine service, don't you? So they have no way to tell you, "Oh, you'll want to have that filter replaced now!"

Or maybe Hyundai decided to put a filter in every other Elantra going to the U.S. :confuse:
  • I've done a few oil changes at the dealer, usually as a matter of convenience or if they're running a special.
  • 03 Elantra GT, yesterday, straight level road, 3rd gear, moderate acceleration, the clutch started to slip. Not good. The kicker is that my car is just shy of 60,000 miles! I've been driving manuals since I was 14 and I've never had to replace a clutch with less than 100,000 miles... I traded my celica on the original clutch with 180k. Anybody else have issues with lousy clutch life (I did find a few abnormal clutch failures with the search, but nothing came up about short clutch life)?

And to address the usual suspects: 1) my left foot is off the clutch pedal unless I'm shifting 2) I only use the brakes to hold the car on hills 3) I rarely downshift (kinda pointless with a low displacement 4 banger) 4) I try to keep the rpm as low as possible (1000-1200 rpm) when launching from a standstill 5) I don't tow or haul. And to give you an idea of the type of driving I do: the OE michelins went to 47k, the original brakes are still on the car and will easily make 80k, maybe even 100k... my car spends a lot of time on the highway which makes this clutch failure even more bothersome. Sorry for the rant, but my wallet will be $1000 lighter after tomorrow :cry:
    Ask the service manager to search for a problem that would cause the fast clutch wear--if they can find one, the repair is covered under warranty.

My '01 Elantra's clutch failed at about 35k miles, but it was due to abuse by my son and wife (which I found out about after the failure...).

Does anyone else ever drive your car?

I had a Civic where the clutch pressure plate had to be replaced at about 40k miles. And it wasn't abused. So it happens.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,576
    Sounds like you did everything right---the only other "bad habit" I can think of to put stress on a clutch is "lugging" or "short-shifting" to save fuel etc....that is, being in too high a gear at too low a speed.

• Backy, I'm the only driver. I'll press the dealer a little more about typical clutch life when I drop the car off, but so far I've only gotten: "That is low milage, but I've seen them go sooner."

Mr. shiftright, I occasionally short shift to try and save fuel, but even then I tend to keep it above 1500rpm. And just to make sure we are on the same page: "short shifting" as I understand it is to shift early (2500-2700 rpm) with wide open throttle (or close to WOT) between shifts. Hmmm, I can see now that that would put extra stress on the clutch, but I didn't think it would be too bad with only 130 someodd ft-lb of torque. Might be onto something.. thanks.
  • I took my '05 Elantra with about 20,000 miles to the dealer today for its yearly inspection, but was surprised with a $450 bill because I neglected to take the car to the dealer for routine maintenance. They said that Hyundai could refuse to honor the warranty if I do not regularly bring the vehicle in for maintenance.

Is this true? (I do my own oil changes every 3,000 miles)

Thanks.
    Can you explain what you mean by you got a $450 bill because you neglected to take the car to the dealer for routine maintenance? That sounds like they fined you!

Hyundai can NOT refuse to honor the warranty if you do not have service performed by a Hyundai dealer. They can refuse to honor the warranty if you do not have service performed by someone as per the service schedule in the owner's manual, and the problem is related to the lack of service.

Oil changes every 3,000 miles are good, but not sufficient per the Elantra's service schedule. Be sure you are doing (or have someone do for you) all the required maintenance per the owner's manual. And keep receipts for all parts and service.
  • By a $450 bill, I mean they charged me to perform the maintenance that I neglected since my last inspection.

I'm sure that taking the car in for routine maintenance also avoids costly repairs in the future and keeps the car running well. :)

Thanks backy for your reply and for clearing up the warranty! It's funny that the dealer never mentioned this when I bought my Elantra.
  • jlflemmonsjlflemmons Posts: 2,240
    "Oil changes every 3,000 miles are good, but not sufficient per the Elantra's service schedule."

Say what??? My owners manual says 7500 for normal usage, 3000 for severe?
  • The factory definition of "severe" and the reality definition of "severe" are far, far apart from each other.
    What I meant was that there are other services that need to be done besides oil changes.
  • jlflemmonsjlflemmons Posts: 2,240
    Okay. I just know that when I drain the oil at 3K it is darker, but not black.
  • Hi all, well I got my 2000 Elantra GLS wagon in to the dealership for the stalling and loss of power problem. Turned out to be a combination of things: They needed to replace the mass air flow sensor (which I thought was replaced back when first bought the car due to a recall? Do these things fail periodically?), a "servile" switch (?), no idea on that one, and CV loops (which were covered under my powertrain warranty). So the whole bill was $565. Not bad. Of course I haven't got the car back yet! ;)
  • snakeweaselsnakeweasel a Certified Edmunds Poster.Posts: 11,706
    They needed to replace the mass air flow sensor (which I thought was replaced back when first bought the car due to a recall? Do these things fail periodically?

Anything can fail and mine did. FWIW its the only non routine maintence item I paid for and that was at around 120K miles so I am not complaining. :)

The sign said "No shoes, no shirt, no service", it didn't say anything about no pants.

• we own a 05 elantra with about 41,000 miles. The only service we basically have done is oil changes and tire rotations. We have never had any problems getting warranty work done. We must be lucky. When we had our 03 elantra we did not have any hazzle with that. When we sold it, it had almost 65,000 miles on it.
  • I've had one lingering issue with my car: I've had three repairs done on it to try to get the Check Engine Light to go off. Each time I get a P0172 Running Too Rich code. The dealer (not the same one where I bought the car) hasn't given me any trouble at all about doing the warranty work; in fact they've been pretty friendly and nice. I just hope this last repair fixes the issue for good.

I am pretty good about my maintenance, but only mediocre about keeping the records in order. I've got all the records, just haven't organized them.
  • My daughter bought a new 2006 Elantra and was involved in an accident a few weeks ago. Fortunately neither she nor her passenger were injured although none of the airbags deployed which they should have done. She did, however, smell them! She also said that the steering froze as she was applying the brakes when trying to swerve to avoid hitting the car which had stopped short in front of her. I found that there was a class action suit against Hyundai for this particular airbag problem. Anyone have any information on the issue? Thanks! :sick: