Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hyundai Elantra Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• I'm glad that I got my natural khaki and grey interior SE with automatic, silver pin stripes, floor mats, Ipod cable and cargo tray for $11034 OTD (including a $4500 cash for clunkers). I closed on July 24th. I was also fortunate enough to get the financing at 3.5% for three years from my credit union (total interest is like $575). Man, I see that prices have gone WAY UP since then.

I live in DFW and the tax rate is .0625 and doc fee was $50. License and other stuff was was something like $275. I think my total closing costs were only $850. The $4500 in Texas is not taxable so that helped a lot. In addition, I'll be able to get 20% of the taxes back from the IRS.
  • Well there went my plans! I didn't think that C4C would be ending so soon. So, that means that dealerships might be swamped this weekend and I would more than likely have to pay close to sticker for my preferred vehicle.

$17,900 for a 2009 Elantra SE with sunroof/leather interior? Even if I take advantage of Cash for Clunkers, just seems like I would be overpaying. Decisions, decisions...
  • joegiantjoegiant Posts: 90
    How much life ya got left in the clunker? You're right. If you go into the dealership this weekend might resemble Custer at Lil' Big Horn. Not good. Maybe let some time pass now 'til the feeding frenzy is over and see if ol' Uncle Sap comes back sometime in the future (next year's an election year afterall) with another give-away. Just make sure to keep 'er insured and registered!!!
  • Fortunately, I probably have about 2 years left in my clunker. It's in rough shape though, so that's why I would have preferred to get a vehicle this summer. But just like you said,anyone who goes in looking for a deal this weekend is heading for an ambush. The dealers know they have any C4C customers bent over a barrel and are more than likely going to be sticking to MSRP, less any manufacturer rebates.

So, as of now, I'm probably just going to sit it out and see if there are any good deals towards the end of the year. I think once auto sales see a big drop in September, the auto industry will have to rally and offer some really good incentives to move more cars towards the end of the year.

If anyone takes advantage of C4C this weekend and has any positive reports to share, please let everyone know. Given the conditions, smart money says dealers won't budge, but maybe you can prove us wrong. I'd imagine once C4C is down with, prices will go back down and people will start hearing of deals that will resemble the pre-C4C era.
  • P.S.: By the way, for those of you in Texas, you can find pretty good GLS deals in the Houston area. I'd mention the specific lot, but the dealer asked me not to. Just know that if you drive around and stick to your guns, you can definitely work them down on a 2009 GLS. Hope this helps!
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,769
    Look at it as a financial equation. Figure it with the C4C money and without. Maybe assume you could get more of a discount after C4C ends. Factor in the actual trade value of your clunker. I'll bet you'll find you are better off with C4C than without. So if you have time to kill today or tomorrow, it wouldn't hurt to go in and take your best shot, see what happens.
  • alamocityalamocity Posts: 680
    Thanks I'll keep that in mind.
  • I agree with backy. Yes, if you buy this weekend you are likely going to pay more than you would have last week. But I don't see any point ever again that you are going to talk them $6500 off of sticker.
    Next year's an election year remember. Lollipops given out for all. Pah-leez vote for me, me, me. You get the picture. Might not be the last "clunker" legislation we see. Poster said clunker has another two years or so in 'er. Never say never. Time will tell if that $6500 comes around again.

PS If ya buy this weekend (7th Cav. types...repeat - Lil' Big Horn happening as I write), why the heck didn't ya buy last month at the same time? Waaaaay different atmosphere end of July...BEFORE the tidal wave of buyers knocked down the dealer's doors and broke all the computers trying to get on the government websites for voucher submission. All JMHO of course.
  • With all the backlash from this program I can't imagine we will ever see again.
  • bpizzutibpizzuti Posts: 2,743
    What backlash? I haven't seen much backlash...just a dinky $2-3 billion program that stimulated the economy more than any $750 billion program. One where many cars made in America (And a serious Detroit manufacturer who hasn't gone through a BK) have benefited. Along with Hyundai, who are expanding operations in the US. Plus the states and localities make serious money off of the sales and other taxes on these largish sales.

If the economy continues to be flat or worse, I could see another round next year or something, particularly to buy some votes. It'd be even better next year, since Chevy might have the Cruze and Ford should have the Fiesta, both of which should give Hyundai a run for their money (I like Hyundai but I like competition more).

Besides which, as mentioned, this weekend is a rotten time to buy...it's the do-or-die date for the current CARS, and it's also not the end of the month, when dealers need to meet quotas. There's better times coming up...the 2010s should come out within the next couple of months, which will drive prices on the 09s way down and bring serious rebates. After that one might have another CARS program. Which tells me it's wise to wait for the next opportunity if possible.
  • joem854joem854 Posts: 11
    With all the backlash from this program I can't imagine we will ever see (it) again.

What backlash? I haven't seen much backlash...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------- -----------------------------------

I sure hope we don't see this program again. I've been told that the cash for clunkers program is downright evil. The America I know and love is not one in which my car will have to stand in front of Obama’s “death panel” so his bureaucrats can decide, based on a subjective judgment of their MPG rating whether they are worthy of $3,500 or $4,500 in rebates.

Ok, ok.. sorry about that. I just couldn't resist. :)
  • ...and I can see Russia from my Hyundai... :)
  • jfritschjfritsch Posts: 958
    C4C:

F'd up program

Many models this time of year have sold for 3000-$8000+ off msrp for numerous closeout years. (Mazda3, Elantra, Sonata, Impala etc)

Many idiots are paying more for many models than they have sold for the previous 3 summers.

After the dealers have replaced their usual discounts from msrp and unadvertised incentives with the $4000 govt cash, and the fact that many "clunkers" may have brought $2000 or more in trade, most customers are behind on the deal, or at best a wash. Most of the dough if not all went to the dealer/nameplate.

If ya actually got a $10000 deal for a $17500 elantra, and $4000 for your $250 clunker more power to you.You're the valedictorian of the buyers.

Many dealers have stated that they will **continue** the C4C program on their own on certain models for a significant period! Unbelieveable! (Gosh grandma, how will dealers discount cars $3000-$8000 off list that have usually sold for a $3000-$8000 discount in august the last 4 years?)

My favorites are the Honda civic/other forums when C4C is mentioned MSRP+$1000 protection package is the automatic minimum starting point. (The civic usually sells for $3000 off list in july) Can't blame them, with a shortage of popular/qualifying metal why do anything else?

Some of these people probably haven't bought a new car since the Reagan administration.

Good luck
    --jjf
  • My problem with the program is that it is way to lenient on trucks. If the whole point of the program is to get more fuel efficient vehicle on the road then what is the point of allowing trucks to be traded in on new ones that get a whole 2 MPG more. IMHO the new vehicle should have have a minimum 25 MPG rating. It was a flawed program but was great for publicity and political good will from the public as it did allow a lot of people to get into a new car that wouldn't have otherwise.
  • I'd have to disagree with your statement in my case. First - are you really suggesting that a model year-end Elantra GLS with a basic option package (enough to get A/C) would be discounted by $8K? Off of a $17,755 MSRP? That's a 45% discount - who can afford to survive making deals like that? I could see $3-4K in the case of an Elantra - but not much more...

However, $8,005 off of MSRP IS what I got with C4C included. I'm happy as can be as I couldn't have gotten even $1500 for my clunker otherwise. ('02 Trooper with bad tranny, and 4WD that wouldn't engage)

Let's assume that I COULD have gotten $1,500, plus the $2K rebate, PLUS $2K discount after haggling - that still only adds up to a $5,500 discount, or basically a $2500 loss for me comparatively...
  • 09elantraowner: I absolutely agree... For folks who were buying > $20K vehicles, it might be a different story.... And there's always the *REMOTE* possibility that the dealer *MIGHT* sell a loss-leader at a heavily discounted price nearing that...

But to:
    a) Get *the* vehicle you want
    b) At that kind of discount
    c) Without having to sell your vehicle on your own (which may/may not be a significant burden)

There is no comparison...

Perhaps jfritsch believes the dealers when they say they'll take the low-ball offer to their manager and might be able to do something with it.... :)
    No um... I think I was pretty clear a lot of cars the last 3-4 years have had august closeouts of 3-8k+ off msrp. M3, Civic, Elantra (about 3-4k) Sonata, Impala 5k-8k+ . (a Lot of ads for the list 24000 Impala ls for $17900, after the kindly 4000 govt check) The things usually sold in august for $14000-16000.

It's great if you got the Elantra for the usual 3k off -$4000 or so for the govt rebate, but many folks on other models aren't. By the time one assumes many could have easily got $1800 or more for their clunker in trade, it is a worse deal than they could have worked a month ago, with the std incentives.

In no way is it helping people into new cars who otherwise wouldn't be able to afford one. Many are paying the same as they would have without C4C, if not more.

Hee Hee, all this fuss over a teeny tiny 3 BILLION cobbled together program of no use. A pisstake. You need to talk TRILLION since last Sept to get anyones attention. And Federal deficits of a Trillion a year as far as the eye can see...

But wait... MORE spending on health entitlements for our congressional heroes to "Save" money.

I suggest you all get a large vehicle for your c4c deal. You may find yourself living in it in the coming years.

Good luck
    --jjf

09elantraowner: I absolutely agree... For folks who were buying > $20K vehicles, it might be a different story.... And there's always the *REMOTE* possibility that the dealer *MIGHT* sell a loss-leader at a heavily discounted price nearing that...

But to:
    a) Get *the* vehicle you want
    b) At that kind of discount
    c) Without having to sell your vehicle on your own (which may/may not be a significant burden)

There is no comparison...

Perhaps jfritsch believes the dealers when they say they'll take the low-ball offer to their manager and might be able to do something with it
  • I think we are just going to have to agree to disagree. The sticker on my car was 16.2K and I paid 8.7k before TTL etc. That is a over 50% off the sticker, I don't care what kind of close out you find, you are not going to get that kind of a deal any other way. If I traded my clunker they may have given me 500-600. Private party I may have been able to squeeze $1000-$1200.
  • jfritsch: looking over the deals people have posted here with C4C on their Elantras leads me to believe that it was a smashing success for all involved. I won't argue your point about $8K on things like a Chevy Impala but is it really an apples to apples comparison (mid-size vs compact, and an admitted $6-7K MSRP differential)?

Did the manufacturers take advantage of the equivalent of a Gov't subsidy in maintaining a profit margin they might otherwise lose? Quite possibly, particularly those NOT offering EOY drastic discounts as they normally would, but that wasn't the case with Hyundai (generally). However, I would say that both the manufacturers, AND the Hyundai buyers (at the very least) both took advantage of the subsidy and benefitted well...
  • joem854joem854 Posts: 11
    Many idiots are paying more for many models than they have sold for the previous 3 summers.

I'd also have to disagree with you, jfritsch. I'm sure that some people didn't get the best deals possible, but I think that there were probably very few people who paid more for a new car with this program than they would have without the program. And those are the type of people who would never get a good deal on a car anyway no matter what the circumstances because they don't do any research and have no idea what they should be paying.

And for those people who had a clunker like mine that was practically worthless (97 Explorer with too many problems to list, would have been lucky to get $250 for it even selling it myself), this program was fantastic.

I get what you're saying that many people weren't getting as much of a savings as they think they were. But again, I really don't think anyone but a select few got worse deals than they would have gotten without the program. Most people probably got a pretty decent deal, and some people were able to get truly outstanding deals.
    I for one got a "truly outstanding deal" as you say. So much so that I have cash left over to apply to the Cash for Appliances Give-Away coming up this Fall. A new washer and dryer, underwritten by the federal government to "save energy", will fit perfectly into the BIG plan (game of life). Now how in the world my kids and grandkids will pay for this current government excess, no idea. Thinking when I get to that age, ol' grandpa will just not be collecting any Social Security nor will he be receiving any medical care to speak of as he will simply be deemed too expensive to repair. Nothing's left in the kitty Gramps. Sorry. Pay 'em now, pay 'em later. But for now, it's a new Elantra and an incredibly good price and a soon to be washer and dryer and a much reduced price.
    You are uninformed. However if the elantra is one of the models (careful) people are getting the usual 3k off and an additional 4 or so that is really a good deal. 8-10k for a new 09 when an 08 wholesales used for about 10k is hard to beat.

Unfortunately, if you did this you are probably in the minority though. On the Civic forum some (in the majority -- non c4c buyers) left the market for a few weeks as a Civic lx selling over a month ago in the high 15000's (normal August price) was moving in many places for the high 16000's after the govt certificate. You want $15500 MINUS $4000? $11500 ? on the Civic? similar to the elantra? ---- Forggeddaboutit.

This is probably true for the Corolla and the Focus also, the other 2 most popular cars bought in the program. The Focus has been about a $5000 off msrp car in August for many years. I doubt if most c4c'ers even approached $7000 off. By the time one figures a regular trade may have netted them about $1500, many would have paid the same or more with the program than without.

Research is relative also as many who relied on Edmund's "TMV" (calculation-unknown) price on a new car over the years have left thousands on the table over what the car is actually frequently selling for in their area, sometimes verified by many messages for months reporting selling prices well below it.

It will be curious to see how busy the repo men are in 12 months or so with these "govt approved" purchases.

Good luck
    --jjf

I'd also have to disagree with you, jfritsch. I'm sure that some people didn't get the best deals possible, but I think that there were probably very few people who paid more for a new car with this program than they would have without the program. And those are the type of people who would never get a good deal on a car anyway no matter what the circumstances because they don't do any research and have no idea what they should be paying.
  • Yes, some people are going to overpay on some models, that is where being a smart consumer comes in. I had originally wanted a Focus or a Fit but neither of them would play ball. Heck my local Hyundai dealer wouldn't work with me either. I ended up driving an hour to an honest dealer to get the deal I wanted. If people are dumb enough to pay the price then that is their own fault. Heck I have seen some reports of Toyota dealers putting a 5k "market adjustment" on Prius's and still not having any issues moving them.
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,769
    C4C ended on August 24, 2009.
  • I'd have expected the Mod to jump to the defense of the Edmunds TMV calculation criteria by now...certainly have seen it for less of an offense.

I suspect that the TMV is an average of prices paid in the locality - not a listing of the lowest. I found the TMV to be a lower (thus "better" for the consumer) price than what Consumer Reports was suggesting. All CR did was give me an additional piece of info with which I was able to bargain below TMV.

jfritsch - I undestand your point about the program as an entirety - but this forum is about Elantras - so wouldn't you expect to find the counter arguments mostly citing those cars? The relative value of C4C really should've been a separate post as it's so broad in scope. However, as backy pointed out - it's basically moot since it's over...
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 30,473
    I'm right here.. :)

You can find information about TMV here: TMV

Everyone is entitled to their opinion about it....

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

I'm right here.. :)

You can find information about TMV here: TMV

Everyone is entitled to their opinion about it....

• bpizzutibpizzuti Posts: 2,743
    Apparently your opinion is so strong you posted it twice. :shades:
    That's what happens with slow computers... :(