Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hyundai Elantra Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• On Tuesday I had the following agreement in place for a 2008 Elantra Auto GLS

MSRP: 17080
    Negotiated Price: 15386
    OTD: 16605

At this point I had no trade in or down payment. With taxes and other charges I had an OTD price of 16,605. I wanted to take the car home and give it a "one-day" tryout going to work and starting it in the cold.

I went back on Wed. with a 2001 Galant that has three out of four cylinders working but otherwise in fair/good condition. After I was given and accepted the offer of 500 for it the sales manager came over and had some "good, but confusing news" for me. I was told that a 1000 rebate would be going into place shortly and if I bought the car at 16605 only to find out two days later there would be a rebate it would be a problem. So the new deal is as follows:

MSRP: 17080
    Negotiated Price: 15868
    Trade-in: 500
    Rebate: 1000
    OTD: 15572 w/ taxes and the like.

I was then told that the new negotiated price was raised $500 because their was a dealer rebate in place and it will be going away when the new rebate begins.

I am a little apprehensive about what took place. Yes, the price of the car went down $1000 in one day but I believe that if I came in next week I could have gotten a lower price. Any idea what happened?
  • Im in the Alanta area looking for a 2007 or 2008 elantra gls w/preferred package, wonder what anyone has paid for that out the door in my area, thanks bruno
  • 14700 SE pop equip package. OTD w/ TTL. Rebate helped a lot.
  • Thanks, was it a 2008 or 2007 and what dealership did you get this price at, thanks again bruno
  • Hello,

I purchased the '08 Hyundai Elantra with the popular equipment package. The side sticker was right around $16K. The side sticker says that it comes with keyless entry/alarm. When I went to the finance department to pay, they said that the alarm is built into the car and is $600 more if I want it. If not, then they will disable the alarm. I obviously told them I don't want the alarm and they put my key in the ignition and did something really fast (30 seconds) under the steering column to disable the alarm system. How come I don't get the full alarm system? What alarm system does it come with then. The panic button alarm? Any help would be appreciated.
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,682
    This seems very fishy to me. An alarm IS built into the Elanta's remote locking system. For example, if you try to open a door or the trunk, even with a key, w/o using the keyfob button, the alarm sounds. If what the dealer did is deactivate this feature on your Elantra because you would not pay $600 extra, I think that is terrible.

One idea: go to another Hyundai dealer and tell them the alarm doesn't seem to work, and ask them if they can check it and "fix" it for you, under warranty. ;)
  • bhmr59bhmr59 Posts: 1,598
    Sounds like this dealer was trying to screw you out of $600. It's worse than the shady dealers who want to charge extra to activate the auto door locks on Sonatas or Azeras when that feature is standard equipment and is supposed to be activated by the dealer.

In your case, the SOB's went to the extra trouble and work to deactivate a standard feature which was already activated, just because they couldn't pick your pocket for an extra $600. They should be reported to Hyundai.

On one of these threads I've read about people having to do an ignition thing like you mention after the battery was disconnected. It may be covered in the owner manual. Or, as previously said take it to another dealer to be "fixed" under warranty AND avoid the selling dealer for maintenance service.
  • Maybe the dealer disabled an alarm system they had installed themselves, and you still have the standard system which comes with the Elantra.
    That's possible, but doesn't follow from the description of the situation--i.e. "the alarm is built-in". Easy to test, though... lock the doors with the remote and try to open one with the key.
  • Anyone buy an Elantra in the Dallas area, Im lookin for an Elantra Gls w/pop any color automatic or manual, also a new 2007 would be fine, any thoughts?, thanks Joe
  • I recently got an O.T.D. offer for a 2008 Hyundai Elantra Se (with Automatic Transmission and Sunroof Package. No leather seats.)
    The offer was 17,895. Does this sound like a good deal to you guys? I almost think it's too good and am wondering if I'm missing something. Out the door price includes everything like car price, destination charge, taxes, title, registration and all dealer fees correct?

Thanks for your input!
  • Well it depends on factors such as sales tax, and document fees to help determine whether you got a good deal or not.
  • Ok here's the best I could break it down using Edmund's calculator:
    Approximation made for car price since I've been negotiating OTD total.
    Vehicle Sales Price: 15750
    Destination Charge: 620
    Sales Tax (8.25% in LA): 1299
    Title, Registration, & Other Costs: 236
    Total comes to 17905 which is a little more than they offered but it's in the ballpark.

Thoughts? Thanks again!
  • I think message 2301 showed a price of $13,999.00 for the SE model with no additional options for So Cal but your price doesn't sound too bad.
  • tyrontyron Posts: 1
    I bought a new elantra last saturday. they had $1000 cash back or 3.9% financing over 72 months. I negotiated a price using the $1000 cash back, because i was going to finance it through my credit union. To make a long story short, they could give us a better rate than what my union could. We sat down in the F & I office and the gentleman doing the loan said he got us financed through hyundai at 4.9%. Then he said that we couldn't use the $1000 cash back since we didnt qualify for the 3.9%. Prior to this, the sales manager kept on going into the F & I's office and closing the door. I negotiated a pretty good price, and i think they are just trying to get some money back out of me. Can anyone else had this experience? Should I still receive that discount?

Thanks
    When the finance guy said you wouldn't get the $1000, you should have said, "OK then, I'll use my credit union financing and I'll take the $1000 rebate." Does your state have a 3-day (example) right of recisssion of purchase contracts? If so you might be able to get out of the deal, if you want to. What actually happened? Did you sign for the 4.9% with no rebate?
  • I just bought a 2008 Red SE, floor mats, XM. $17,100 OTD

Question - Does the odometer stay on all the time? I went out to my car at lunch and noticed the the odometer was displayed before I even unlocked the car.
  • I forgot to add that it is an automatic.
    Yes. Hertz and service writers love that. :)
  • 2008 Silver Elantra GLS, Automatic, Popular Pkg, Floor Mats

$14,683 out the door

That was including the $1000 California automatic transmission rebate, plus another $1000 dealer rebate, plus a approximately $730 off of MSRP.

MSRP for this vehicle is $17,080