Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hyundai Elantra Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• hi folks,i have had my 2012 hyundai elantra gls for a month now and i drove it last night for the first time at night time.(i work alot during the day).and noticed that all 4 window switches illuminate which is a very nice touch.both the front switches and rear switches illuminate includeing the back seat switches.the other cars that i compared such as mazda 3,chevy cruze,nissan sentra,and corolla didn't have this feature.
  • Are you sure? I thought I had read that the gear changes at different times. Am I dreaming that? In any case, I'm still pretty happy with the 33 MPG I've averaged in the first 700 miles.
  • @sarah2175: I think you are incorrect. The 2012's have an eco button that changes engine/transmission patterns to boost MPGs a bit. According to Hyundai, “The Active Eco System modifies engine and transmission control for improved fuel economy by smoothing out throttle responses. By selecting the Active Eco button, drivers can realize up to a seven percent increase in real-world fuel economy.”

I'm sure it upshifts quicker at lower RPMs and is slow to downshift. Probably best to not be in ECO for spirited driving.
  • player4player4 Posts: 362
    Have been looking for the past 3 months for an Elantra Limited with Tech Pkg either 2011 or 2012 but I have had no luck. Four local dealers have no (Limited with Tech) on the lots and are very hard to come by in the colors that my girlfriend wants it: Blue Sky Metallic, or Shimmering White.

One of the dealers gave me a quote for $25,135 OTD BUT for one that is Gray not the colors she wantes, in other words she's not happy that it isn't the color she wants. Other dealer has Blue Sky Metallin in Limited with Tech (JUST how she wants it) for OTD of $26,235 with best at $26k even.

Question is this: Is $26k OTD for this car too much? Given that it is such a hot seller right now (been trying to find one for the last 3 months) and on top of that in a color combo that is even harder to find.

Please guys I need your input and experiences as soon as possible.

Thanks so much for your help!

Player4
  • These OTD pricing comparisons are not apples to apples since everyone lives in different places with different taxes/fees.

Really you need to put the prices before your local taxes and fees.
  • Got my white Limited with Tech package two weeks ago, here in ATL. I paid $23,515 plus $599 dest. charge, which is still about $500 over SRP. I THOUGHT I was paying SRP, but was decieved and found my mistake after the fact. I'll try to get that back, my I'm not hopeful. I just got lucky. I was in the dealership when a truck full of Elantra's came in. There was a White Limited with Tech package on the truck and it became mine! Right place at right time! Don't think I would pay MORE than that though. Some will show up soon. Just get in line for it. Put down a deposit on the white and you'll most likely wait about 4 weeks. Maybe less.

I LOVE mine! It's one of the best cars I've owned! Better overall than my Mazda 6 (2003). :)
  • hey im_brentwood,

I havea 2011 Elantra Limited, 10,700K. (not the one with the NAV) Do you have any idea what they are taking in for trade-in's or selling at auction for?

I am considering an upgrade to a bigger car, want to make sure I dont get hosed at the dealer.

Many thanks!
  • fushigifushigi Posts: 1,251
    My wife test drove a mildly used 2011 Elantra GLS (18K miles) last night as the dealer had zero new 2012s on the lot. Based on the test drive she was very happy with it and it's dethroned the Cruze as the leading candidate to replace her 2001 GLS.

As the dealer had nothing in stock and she wanted some features on the Limited, we reviewed upcoming dealer allocations. We have a quote for a Sky Blue Limited with Tech and basically everything (MSRP $23,655) but the HomeLink mirror for $23,300 + TTL or $25319 OTD. Of the $2019 in TTL, $1644 is sales tax. :cry: Frankly I'm surprised they came down from sticker at all considering they can't even keep 'em on the lot.

We just have to finish up our test drives tonight before she makes her final decision. Left to drive are the Focus & Forte, though we may drop the Forte if time gets tight. On the Forte, some features she wants require the SE package which comes with the lower-economy 2.4L engine. While the 2.4 has lots of power, it would be overkill for her. Both the Cruze & Elantra have plenty of pickup with their sub-150HP engines.
  • player4player4 Posts: 362
    The deal with me is that n dealers in the area are going under MSRP, they either are or are higher than MSRP. So far, best Ive gotten is:

2012 Limited w/Tech Pkg in Shimmering White with Beige Interior

Vehicle Price = $23,700/incl accessories
    College Grad Discount = -$500.00
    Trade-In = - $500.00 +- (subject to appraisal)
    Sales Tax = $1,808.00 (includes license and doc fee)

Balance to be financed = $24,508.00

Any opinions?
  • I'm not sure if they still have it, but I got an extra $500 because I'm a vet. I got my GLS in april, it's a 2011 w/nav.

MSRP $20,300

Trade in $500, Vet discount $500, Paid down $500 Financed $17200 + T $ L
  • fushigifushigi Posts: 1,251
    Here's the Hyundai list of rebates & other finance offers: http://www.hyundaiusa.com/financial-tools/special-offers.aspx The $500 military cash is still available on all models through Sept. 30, though I imagine it'll be renewed again & again.

Right now the Elantra doesn't even get owner loyalty cash.
  • zizo2zizo2 Posts: 11
    Is there a lease cash on 2012 Elantras like the sonatas have?
  • Oh really? Sorry about that...I didn't know. I have a 2011 and don't have that feature. Thanks for correcting me! :)
  • zizo2zizo2 Posts: 11
    2012 Elantra with NAV, autodimming mirror and ipod cable, MSRP 23685, I got it for 22775.

Gonna do a 36 month lease, 12k miles,

1000 down. after all been said and done i will have paid 10806.12 (inclucing taxes, fees, aquisition fee, etc) which is 45% of MSRP.
  • cdavidhesscdavidhess Posts: 26
    edited September 2011
    I traded in my 2011 Elantra GLS with preferred package and 11k miles for a 2012 Elantra last month. I received $16,000 in trade. The original MSRP was $18,480. I live in Rochester, NY. I paid MSRP for the 2012 GLS manual with comfort package and homelink mirror.
  • Thanks forth input. That is aboutwhat I figured the trade would be

If I may ask, any particular reason you traded the 11 for the 12?
  • My 2011 Elantra was the first automatic I had owned in over 20 years. I missed the stick shift. My 2012 has a stick.
  • Yeah, it was one of the 2012 changes. Supposedly 7% better, but I haven't seen any tests of it. The 2011's just had a light that told you were driving economically - so you were right on that part. I hope you're enjoying your Elantra!
  • Totally makes sense.

I went from a manual VW Passat to the automatic transmission n the 11 Elantra. Hard adjustment, manual is just way more fun.

Nice call I say!
  • hi folks,i guess when a car is hot it's hot!!!!!!!!........recieved a phone call yesterday from the salesman who sold me my 2012 elantra gls auto about a month ago..told me he would purchase it back for what i paid for it and give me a huge discount on a 2012 sonata.i said i wasn't interested.he told me that apparantly these elantra's are selling like hotcakes and they don't have any in stock at the moment.he also told me that the elantra is selling way better than the sonata and that they have a huge inventory of sonata's that they can give huge discounts on.i choose the elantra over the sonata due to better mpg and much much better resale value..
  • Yeah, I didn't know about the new feature on the 2012's. Oh well! Yes, I am enjoying my Elantra very much. I've had it almost six months now, and each time I drive it, it feels like the first time. :)
  • Drew,

What part of the country? Also.. what color is it?

If I had to guess, I'd say that the car is worth about $19,500-20k with navi.. There's some auction results but no way to tell if they had Navi or not.

I could probably retail the car, certified, for about $22,995 I'd think if it's the right color.
  • As I have said before...

USE THE CRUISE CONTROL! It makes a HUGE difference!

That's based on customer feedback.

Bill
  • Indigo blue Pearl/grey

Limited no Navi

In St Louis Missouri

Thanks for tie input
  • yysyysyysyys Posts: 51
    edited September 2011
    2012 GLS with Preferred Package, Ipod cable, Cargo Net, Mud Gards, Mirror with Homelink, Korea made. Use AMEX car purchase service. $ 18700 + Tax at Laird Noller, Lawrence, KS
  • I had the same experience, steven39, last night, and after the same 1 month period as you. The cabin is very pleasant at night with all the blue winky-blinkys.
  • I have a deposit on a 2012 Elantra GLS auto that might be here before the end of the week. I am planning on purchasing unless something is wrong with the car once it gets to the dealer.

My current insurance carrier is Allstate (Home, Auto, Unbrella) with pretty full coverage. I sent my agent a note to see how much the Elantra would cost per 6 month policy period. Suprise... it came back 53% higher than my 2008 Saturn Outlook and 36% higher than my 2004 GMC envoy. Those were $39K and $35K MSRP vs $19K for the Elantra. My agent claims they are less expensive to insure because of the availability and cost of repairs than the Hyundai.

Has anybody else found this to be the case when insuring their Elantra?

Thinking about this, makes it even harder to comprehend. Collision and comprehensive coverage should be the big difference, not as much on UM, Med payments and Liability.

Thanks for your feedback.

Bill
  • I bought a 2011 Elantra in April w/nav. I was insured by State Farm forever an I called an had them take my 2005 Tribute off an add the Elantra. NP, right, when I got the statement, it was around 85% higher every 6 months, so I checked around an got a quote fro Nationwide that put the insurance at the same price of the Tribute, so I moved over to them. About a month later, I got a notice saying that they were reducing my monthly premium by $10.00. You might want to check around and compare prices. I don't think $48.00 a month for full coverage is that bad.
  • Thanks for the info. Yes, this might be the straw that makes me shop around. I've been with this Allstate agent for over 20 years. Homeowner, Umbrella and Auto, plus a life policy. There has been quite a bit of premium creep on all of them. The HO, Auto and Umbrella have different renewal dates which would make switching a pain, but it might be worth it.

They have paid 1 claim on the Homeowner policy ($4700) in all these years.

I'm going to at least make known to the agent that I'm not happy and might be looking around.

Thanks for your response.
  • one reason that the elantra is higher to insure than other cars in the compact class is due to the elantra's not holding up very well in a accident.in a recent crash test results by consumer reports out of all the compact cars they tested,the elantra performed the worst with severe driver damage and body damage..the toyota corolla came in 3rd worst...mazda 3 came in 1st with little damage to driver and car which is why the mazda 3 is one of the cheapest cars to insure in the compact car class.