Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hyundai Elantra Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,784
    Why make a firm offer at $100 over invoice? In many cases, there are incentives available to the dealer that bring their cost far below invoice.

IMO it's best to buy low, sell high. So an initial firm offer to buy should be lower than my target price. Also likely lower than the dealer will sell for. But you never know until you ask. They can always say "no", and counter-offer. But they might say yes, or their counter-offer might be lower than invoice.

But if you aren't comfortable negotiating with a dealer, by all means find someone else like a buying service to do it for you. Or buy from a "no hassle" dealership, if you like their price.
  • Why should I pay freight charges? I think it is their cost of them to do business? Same with advertising junk fees. They are adding $400plus for mats, cargo net, etc. which I believe is bogus. I have to agree with guy who posted after you--they have other incentives. I just want to be fair too. I'll pay even a little over invoice, but not these crazy fees! HUGE volume membership co. pricing was the worst--they can't even negotiate. Is it Florida?
    Help!! I am doing what everyone says, but all 3 dealers aren't moving!! Going to Toyota and Honda today. Need car this week.
    If you still want an Elantra after shopping Honda and Toyota (and check out the Sentra, Focus, Mazda3, and Cruze also, good discounts available there), take your best offer from the other dealerships to the Hyundai dealer and tell them they need to at least meet the other offer or they will lose a customer. Most dealerships don't like to lose a sale to a competitor. It might encourage them to make you a better offer.
  • Just a note. all manufactures , regardless, GM, FORD, CHRYSLER, TOYOTA, all of them charge frieght. They have to pay mostly contractors to deliver the cars to the dealer, so they add the freight charge, which stays the same, don't matter if it's 2 blocks up the street or across the country, the frieght charge is the same. As far as the other accessories, they can be negotiated. Plus with Hyundai, you get a tank of gas, and gas varies across the country. So, you might feel your getting ripped off, but I doubt very seriously if you are, also when I bought my Elantra GLS, whatever I put down, the dealer matched, and that wasn't advertised, so I got a $20,250 with nav.(2011) for $17200 an it came with floor mats, wheel locks installed an I-Pod cable. Just depends on the dealer. I got mine in April and love it.
  • Please help! Got an offer from dealer for a color I've been waiting for here in Southern California for two months. It's not the cheapest advertised price, but considering no dealer even has the white Elantra in our area, I think it's okay unless I want to wait even longer.

Should I move forward or wait for a better deal and how much better can I realistically get? Have no idea if or when more colors are coming. Mostly just silvers, grays and blacks here.

MSRP: $19,070 (only want mats, other stuff is junk, don't even want the bumper applique)
    PRICE: $18,305 ($250 under invoice)
    TAX: $1,600
    FEES: $285
    OTD: $20,190

Pre-ordering with a deposit. Thanks for any input!
  • I paid @$22,500 OTD for Limited in Clearwater,FL. Not thrilled. MSRP $20,445, but bottom total price $21,700. Add ons--not sure legitamite, but . . . Went to 4 dealers. Tried for 3 wks, buit needed a car.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,918
    If you recently considered a hybrid but decided on a fuel-efficient non-hybrid instead, please email pr@edmunds.com by Friday, February 3, 2011 to share your story.
    Please include your daytime contact information and a few words about the decision you made.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Very similar pricing for last 2 months in Phoenix. I tried end of the year and today again. Can't get them to remove a $400 documentation fee.

Will pass.

Elantra GLS w/ preferred package plus mirror, mats, net, tint
    E-quote $18,250
    Doc $398.75

Tax $1638.38
    Plate $306.75
    OTD $20,593.88
  • goose56goose56 Posts: 9
    edited February 2012
    I went to Mass, Conn and ended up in my home state in RI. I have been waiting for a month for a silver gls w/ preferred pkg I got a price of 17,600 w/ 16 " alloy wheels.I want to know did I get a good price and should I ask for mud flaps and carpeted mats for the wait? The price includes destination and documentation fees.
  • Here's the price paid, $19,200 OTD in NJ area for Hyundai Elantra GLS + preferred. Took advantage of the 1.9 % loan for 3 years. Car has carpeted floor mats+cargo net+mud gaurds+window etching. Didn't specifically ask for any of the add ons, as its on the car sticker they have to give it with it. Started off from $18,500 OTD for the dealer quote of $21,600 OTD. Did the test drive and then the negotiations started, took a good 5 hr to drive off the lot with the car finishing all the formalities.

here's the approximate breakdown, price of the car $17,395 with 7% tax of $1217 + taxes titles and documentation to overall $19,200.
  • I did 19,046 otd including 7% sales tax and 3 yr 1.83 % plus wheel locks, floor mats,mud guards, cargo net, bumper guard and ipod cable. I guess I did ok!!! I got $ 200 doc fee!! Thanks for responding.
  • Hi goose56,

Could you pls share which dealership this was ?
  • Tarbox in East Greenwich RI, I hope this helpful!
  • steven39steven39 Posts: 636
    thanks for the info.one other thing that the elantra has over the sonata is very good resale value.And your right the elantra's interior is pretty roomy as i think it's classified as a mid-size.plus the elantra is a nicer looking car than the sonata.
  • nziernzier Posts: 2
    I've been doing quite a bit of research into buying a certified used 2011 Hyundai Elantra in the Missouri/Illinois/Iowa area. I've been doing quite a bit of reading on here as well as on other websites.

I am trying to determine why a 2011, 20k miles GLS is being posted at almost retail value (between 17-19k). I've got financing in line where I can afford roughly 15.5 pre-TTL. Looking for recommendations on where to start the bidding, yes I've read the articles, and how to approach the situation as a whole. I was contemplating an offer of 14.5 to start. Going to go look at one in two weeks and see if it's truly the vehicle I am looking for.

Anybody recently bought a 2011 used Elantra? What did you pay, how did you go about the negotiations? Anything would be useful.

Thanks in advance.
  • Prices are a bit crazy right now.

My local dealer is selling a 15K mileage GLS for 18,900. Certified i believe,

They are offering me 17500 for my 11 Limited (no nav) as a trade in on a new Accent SE. It has 17000 miles on it, so its not bad of an offer, but they will turn around and sell it for 19000.

Basically the Elantra is hot right now, used car values are higher across the board. It's almost cheaper to buy new. Dont think they are really eager to cut deals either,

I'd take a look at the Accent. Only 5ftlbs torque difference and 10hp between that and the Elantra. And you can get a nice GLS new for 15-16K.
    right now the hyundai elantra is a hot car and in much demand.the fact that it just won the 2012 car of the year doesn't hurt either.even used elantra's such as the one you were referring to go for top dollar regardless of mialage.just as a example here of the great resale value that this car has.i have a 2012 hyundai elantra gls base model that i purchased in august 2011.i have about 4500 miles on the car.my selling hyundai dealer who sold me the car recently told me that they would give me what i paid for the car which was full msrp.$18,500.00 towards a new sonata that i was inquiring about.shows you how much in demand that the elantra is.
    I know you didn't ask, but if you find the prices on the 2011 Elantra intolerable you might try the 2010 (not as slick as the 2011 but still a very nice car) or a 2010 Sentra. I think you have a much better shot at $14k with one of those.
  • nziernzier Posts: 2
    I suppose the prices are crazy. I guess I could just wait a couple more months and buy a new one. I'll probably still test drive the one I've been looking at and throw in an offer.

I've thought about looking into other model years but friends who have worked in the industry state that having the more up to date style is often important in future resale/trade-in value.

Thanks for the responses, guess I'll give it a go and see if I can get anybody to move on the price.
  • wlbrown9wlbrown9 Posts: 843
    Check the warranty on the used vs the new Elantra. IIRC only the new carries the 10 year, 100K mile powertrain warranty. I don't think that applies to the second owner. The base 5 year, 60K mile B-B warranty (or remainder) should carry over to a second owner on a used Hyundai.
  • I would seriously take a look at the Accent. Great little car and in your price range. Like a slightly smaller elantra
    iam a bit curius here.why would you want to downgrade from a elantra to a accent??..your supposed to go forwards not backwards.
  • I don't consider it a downgrade at all.

For me the accent SE hatch is a better looking car than the elantra. And new, costs 2-3k less.

I'd rather pay less for a slightly smaller car that has only 10hp and 5lbft torque less engine but is several hundred pounds lighter.

In the GLS trim it has the same features, just no nav option

Given the high cost of new and used Elantras at the moment, seemed like a decent option for the original poster.

I have an 11 elantra limited which I'm trading for the Accent SE. Getting better gas mileage, a new car, a stick shift, and around 800 cash back is an upgrade IMO. I didn't love my Elantra.

But if the OP is set on a new series Elantra, the budget will be an issue.
  • just got a 2012 limited for 20,000 +tt. MSRP 21,500 Philadelphia area. Probably could've done better as others posted lower prices paid but it seems like a lot of people are willing to pay even more. This site has been very helpful. Thanks!
  • gman4911gman4911 Posts: 43
    edited February 2012
    I'm in NoVA and I just picked up a 2012 Elantra GLS w/ Package 3 and extra factory add-ons that I didn't want (Ipod cable, rear bumper applique, cargo net, cargo tray, mud guards, floor mats) so the dealer 'gave' them to me. Riiiight. MSRP was $19,355. My price was $19200 OTD which included 3% sales tax, $390 dealer processing fee, $110 registration, title, and other miscellaneous fees. Not too happy about the dealer processing fee but I still think I did Ok overall.

Another dealer near me (supposedly #1 in the area based on units sold) has been listing additional dealer markups of $800 on the stickers. Don't know if people are actually paying it though. I got mine from the #2 dealer. What's interesting is that even though they can't keep them in stock, they aren't charging additional dealer markups either.

Anybody else think Hyundai's invoices are bogus and more of a marketing tactic to make people think they're getting a good deal? The margins just seem very small compared to the other mfrs.
    edited February 2012
    Dang. Just read an earlier post where someone's price was $1000 under invoice from the same dealer I used. Mine was only $500. :cry:

I guess I should've negotiated harder. Or just quit reading this thread.
    what was the final negotiated price before TTT and fees??
    edited February 2012
    >>>what was the final negotiated price before TTT and fees??

I negotiated from an OTD price which, in hindsight, I probably should not have done. Since TTT and fees are fixed, it would've given me a better picture of how much of a discount I was getting.

Anyways, the invoice price reported by Edmunds is $18641, the bill of sale indicated the sale price was $18143. On paper, that's ~$500 off invoice, but in my mind, my real discount was only ~$200 off invoice because I was 'forced' to take the factory add-ons. I don't know...maybe they did that intentionally to throw my numbers off?
  • sungirl7sungirl7 Posts: 4
    In St. Petersburg, FL I paid $20,500 plus TTT and dealer fee for a Limited. I shopped 4 dealers in the area. Initially, I purchased it at Fitzgerald in Clearwater for the same price, but the dealership played finance games and I returned the car 2 weeks later. (changed all the finance terms) This appears to be a common problem with local woman at the Fitzgerald dealership. CRAZY!
  • craftyk9craftyk9 Posts: 3
    Sounds like I didn't get as good of a deal as many of you, but I just bought a 2012 Hyundai Elantra GLS automatic (no preferred package) with the auto-dimming mirror, mats, and iPod adapter plus others I don't remember off the top of my head.

Sale Price: $18,100
    Trade-in: -$525
    (I had a cheapo trade-in that I was lucky to get $525 for)
    Documentary fee: $75
    State and Local Taxes (MN): $1,162.38
    Total License and Fees: $539.50

Delivered Price (OTD): $19,351.88
    Had I not had the trade-in, it would have been close to 20K.

Sounds like many of you got the preferred package included on a price like this. I thought I was still getting a good deal since many of the websites said I was still under the invoice price. Bummer.