Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hyundai Elantra Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• First let me thanks everyone here for the inputs and information. Someone here post a good price for a deal in Bay Area, CA. Since I didn't get the response where the person got the deal I decided to write to every Hyundai in Bay Area (Sacramento, Modesto, Stockton, Dublin, San Jose, Tracy, etc) from the Hyundai Page. This is what I got and only the San Jose and Dublin offices were able to do it, the rest could not match it.

* 2013 Elantra GLS PZEV With Preferred package
    * Carpeted Floor Mats
    * Cargo Net
    * Cargo Tray
    * First Aid Kit
    * iPod Cable
    * Mud Guards
    * Rear Bumper Protector

Price $17,025. OTD 18,663.
  • Well I got a MAIL offer from a local hyundai dealer to come in and trade my 2012 for a 2013. I have a 2012 red limited sedan with everything. 24k car. I have had it for 9 months now. 3200 miles now on it. Now this offer says up to 4k off msrp. 2500 added to fair market trade in value. Now for the fun part. I will be haggling in the am and expect no deal. Here is my ammo. Since I will be dealing on a fully loaded 2013 limited they must give me the 4k off msrp since what possible reason could there be for reducing the 4k since I am negotiating on the most expensive elantra. So given they will add destination charges and whatever, they can't get over 21k msrp with the 4k off. Now as far as the trade in price they use the term "fair market value". The way I see it the trade in value they gave the car in their program was 15200 at 2 years old with 30k miles. Now with my car being 9 months old and 3200 miles I feel 17500 would be a fair market value and I don't think that is a bad price. I have one of the very few red limited elantra' s. Add the 2500 in the offer and you get 20k, which yes is 2500 dollars too high but that is what the offer states. 2500 over fair market value. Well you can see where this is going. Hand them a grand, and walk out with a 2013. Now I am also going to look at the coup but that car is 800 bucks cheaper. Just not sure how that clown smiley face front end looks in person. I have not seen one yet. That would mean a virtual swap. To make their job harder I owe 11k on the 2012. I will finance 11k on the 2013 only. Any difference and I will pay in cash. So fuzzy math will not be in play. I will post what happens. I have my rules set as follows. If the offer entails me handing over 1k or less they can bring out the papers. Anything over that and I will have to get back to them. Anything over 2.5k and it is a immediate turn down. Between 1k and 2.5k I will have to think about it because I am treating this whole thing as a fairy tale I am not thinking it out any further. Plus they don't have a car in inventory I would take. I have found several cars in the area although that I would consider if this is real. I will let you know what happens.
  • maxx4memaxx4me Posts: 1,340
    He, he.....it reads like you are playing the flute to a poisonous snake that will pop out of a wicker basket and hand you the keys. As one who keeps his cars forever (or until GM ruins it due to incompetant workmanship), I would be careful of the slithering object which appears before your eyes. Best of luck.
  • I also want to go to this dealership because they were the first place I went to when buying my elantra. I was interested in buying but in no way needed to buy a car at the time. I was interested in a red elantra. A salesman walked up to me asked to help and I told him what I was looking for and he said that car was the holy grail of cars. He was not interested in giving me a quote on my trade in and was not interested in sitting down and trying to make a deal. I went to their sister dealership a few miles away and they wrote up a deal on a gls but again were not really going after my biz the car never became avalable from them. A couple months later I saw a red limited pop up on inventory at ganley and took a ride out their. The car was ordered for a customer months ago but when it came in the loan would not go through. I scooped it up and they gave me a pretty good deal. At the time all they could do was hide any deal through your trade in because hyundai was telling dealers to hold top msrp. I just would love to see that salesman again but doubt he is still in the biz. I keep cars a long time also. I have a 2001 elantra, that is why the low mileage on the 2012. Most of that was 2 vacation trips to canada. Also have a 2009 kia spectra I picked up new out the door for 12k. Could not pass up the price. It was to replace the 2001 elantra but the car just keeps running and running without putting any money in it.
  • Well I am done with checking out the offer. Basically everything on the card I got was just ignored as I thought. But they did offer me 19k on my trade. But still wanted me to hand over 4k to get a fully loaded coup which was not going to happen. It was funny because I was in a good mood, not in a hurry and having fun dealing with the various attempts to get me to deal in fuzzy math methods that tried to hide the fact that I was paying 4k to make the trade. This one guy kept saying over and over he could lower my payments and make the deal. Well I am 12 months ahead on payments so yes, lowerering my payments and going back to 60 payments was easy to do if I was a moron. The se coup fully loaded is only 21k while my limited sedan is 24k. The coup does offer keyless entry or start, no nav, no rear view camera and no heated leather seats. Not offered at all in a coup. I never did find out where the extra 2k was going. 19k trade 21k msrp why 4k? Their destination charge was only 250 and they kept saying that also. Now I did not sit down in detail because I finnally ended it by saying my absolute top end on trading to a coup was giving them under a thousand dollars. Plus they would have had to throw in clear coat. Also that dealer gives double warrenty on every car. 10/20. Plus when I parked my car next to a coup I like the sedan better. To me that car has every line just perfect. Plus I have matching painted body side mouldings that are red and black. Really stand out nice. I figure now since I am definitly keeping the car long term now I look around at adding some mods.
  • novadernovader Posts: 3
    I have been shopping around and so far got offered the following deals:

1. 2013 Elantra A/T with some extras
    MSRP: 18,970
    Quoted price: 17,396

2. 2013 Elantra A/T with preferred package
    MSRP: 19,605
    Quoted price: 18,031

3. 2013 Elantra GT A/T
    MSRP: 20,315
    Quotes price: 18,964

According to what I see on here, I think these are all pretty good deals. I just wonder if I can get a better deal if I wait until their Labor Day sale. Does Hyundai usually have decent sales that weekend or am I wasting my time by waiting? Also, how much of the norm is it to negotiate with the internet sales person?

Thanks in advance!
  • steven39steven39 Posts: 636
    i purchased this same exact car with the same equipment you have in the desert bronze color.msrp was $19,680.00 and my final price before TTT was $18,163.00....by the way,another hard color to get is the desert bronze color which my dealer had to get from another dealer in st.augastine fla which was over 200 miles away.i wound up driveing up there with my car and did the deal up there.lots of compliments with the desert bronze color..it was worth the drive.
  • bobemobobemo Posts: 2
    edited August 2012
    In Kansas City, Missouri, I just paid for a A/T 2011 Elantra GLS Desert Metallic Bronze with 19,900 miles on it for 15,199.95 from a Honda dealership. No trade in. It had a pristine carfax as well. No scatches or dings, just small stain on front passenger seat, getting seat covers. It was originally listed 16,975.00. They are very motivated to move cars this time of year. I also got 60 month financing at 1.49% with penfed.org. I got a good deal I think. Very happy with my purchase.
  • xaviorxavior Posts: 4
    Thanks for this information! I have been scouring this list, looking for a post such as this to help. Do you mind if I ask if your GLS had the preferred package? I assume the 15,199.95 is before TTL?

I will be buying one in November (paying cash, so I think I can push them with the "instant sale" guideline since it's an off-peak buying time). I would prefer to get a certified pre-owned 2011 or 2012 hyundai elantra GLS, but due to their popularity and high resale value I haven't found anything that I would consider paying.

Most C.P.O. 2011 elantra GLS I see are ~15,500, but I've gotten quotes for ~17,400 for brand new 2013 elantra GLS. These are of course before TTL. I'm all for saving money, but less than $2K in savings for a 2 year old car with 30K miles just doesn't seem like a good deal on my end.

Anyone have any suggestions? I am planning on negotiating end of November and paying cash. Is it completely unreasonable for me to set a goal of $13,500 + TTL for a CPO 2011 elantra GLS or $16,500 + TTL for a 2013 elantra GLS?
  • It does not have preferred package and its before TTL. Liked my price cause of low miles on it. Barely broken in. I'm sure if you get one with 30,000+ miles on it then you could negotiate down even more from my $15,199. They laughed at my original offer of 14,750. I think it would be tough to get it down to 13,500. If you think you can get a 2013 at $16,500 then I would go with that. Good luck!
  • ixis14ixis14 Posts: 4
    edited September 2012
    Hello Car_man

What is the September residual and money factor for a 2012 Elantra GLS?
    I'm interested in a 15k per year 24 month and 36 month lease in california.

Also what is the minimum credit score for the top tier lease rates?

Thanks,

Ixis
  • Thanks for the reply, I have a feeling you and I are very like minded. I also look for low-mileage used vehicles, as I believe it normally represents a good value but with the used car market still inflated coupled with the elantra's popularity there isn't much discount for a used one (2011 or newer).

I wish you the best on your car puchase!
  • Car_man, I just found out that 2012 Elantra's are pretty much gone. So instead of lease rates for a 2012 could you please provide the lease rates for a 2013 Elantra GLS.

Thanks,

Ixis14
  • Looking to buy a 2013 Elantra Ltd 4dr w/Nav-Optoin Grp3. Edmunds shows invoice at $22,971 and MSRP at $24,070. Would like to buy (cash) at or even below invoice - which is all of $1,099 off of MSRP. Any idea if this is reasonable? Not enough off of MSRP? Should I see if the dealer will also pay TTL? Looking to learn what dealer and/or mfr incentives are available, and what you think. Thanks,
  • If you have cash make a lowball offer and be prepared to walk out. Tell them to call you when they can do the deal. That should get the price as low as possible.
  • bhmr59bhmr59 Posts: 1,598
    Paying cash does not make a better deal. Most dealers prefer that you fiance (through then). You'll usually pay less financing some of the cost.

Dealers get paid 100% upon delivery wether by you or a finance company. The "pay cash" deals are more than 50 years old.
  • What do you think about this price out the door? $25,800 for a black with black interior which was VERY VERY hard to get. I called 10 dealers and no one had it but I finally found it. Did I get a decent deal considering they went far away to get it and towed it near my house? I was trying to walk out with it at $25,000 clean but they wouldn't have it.
  • Test drove the Elantra GLS sedan w/ auto today and absolutely loved it! So much so that I am seriously considering going back to buy within the next week. However, I am torn over one major issue... the age old dilemna of buying new vs. used.

I went to the dealership 100% convinced I was buying a used car, a 2011 Elantra GLS to be specific as I don't see a major benefit of getting the 2012 over the 2011 (imo they are essentially the same car). The 2013 Elantra GLS wasn't even on my radar, until I saw the sticker and realized how small of a step up in price it was compared to the 2012 and even 2011.

After reading comments on this forum, it's sounds like several people have had success negotiating the $19530 MSRP down closer to $18,100 (this would be for 2013 Elantra GLS A/T w/ preferred package + a few other options). The 2011 models I have been looking at don't include the preferred package and are coming in around $15-16K.

I'm pretty price conscious and was honestly aiming for a used $15K car. But if I could get the loaded 2013 negotiated down $1.5K, it seems almost crazy to not go for the newer model...

What I would be curious to know is how others have been successful in negotiating that lower price for the 2013?

Or if the 2011 is indeed the way to go, for those who purchased used - did you go for the 10yr/10,000 miles powertrain warranty? I understand it does not transfer, so that additional cost is another reason I am considering the newer car, just not sure if it's really worth it to add on.

Appreciate the help.
  • fushigifushigi Posts: 1,251
    It's a little hard to say without more information. Of that OTD price, how much is sales tax, doc/title fees, etc.?
  • Hi guys,

I was able to negotiate a 2011 Elantra GLS (alabama plant?) CPO with 32k on it. Silver color in good shape. no stains no dings... nothing.

The price was $13,700 before TTL in the fairfield, CT area. The Edmunds price for this type of vehicle is about $16-17k around this area.

You guys think this is a good deal? taxes in CT are 6.35%. What do you guys think? Let me know cause I'm planning to get it today or tomorrow. thanks!
  • They are always listed north of $14K, so I suppose that's a pretty good deal. I was considering a 2011/12 Hyundai Elantra, but I kept running into the new vs used issue. Since the Elantra's are still a popular car, the used car prices are staying very high.

I got a quote for $16K before TTL for a base model 2012 Elantra with A/T (this is after the $500 downpayment matching) a month ago. I didn't consider saving $2K-$3K by buying a ~2 year old car with the same mileage as yours a good enough deal. However, $16K for new was too much for me so I will wait for the right deal.
  • Thanks for reply. I also thought about used vs new. But I can't wait too long as I tottaled my car in an accident and need a replacement. Wish me luck with my choice.

Good luck.
  • Capital Hyundai
  • I've been away from car shopping for many years.
    Just curious about the warranty on a used Elantra from a dealer. Does a buyer only get the balance of the 5 year/ 60,000 mile warranty? I'm guessing the final 5 years/ 40,000 miles of the 10 year/ 100,000 mile (new car) powertrain warranty is of no use to the used car buyer.
    Anyone know for sure?
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,784
    Yes, 2nd and subsequent owners get only the balance of the 5/60k warranty, unless you get an extended warranty from Hyundai e.g. Hyundai Certified Pre-owned car.
  • I purchased a 2013 GLS PZEV 4dr Sedan Alabama plant last Thursday.

Radiant Silver, gray Interior
    Preferred Package
    Carpeted Floor Matts
    Cargo Net
    First Aid Kit

Black pin striping
    Nitrogen Filled Tires

I was interested in the Elantra, but didn't necessarily care for the pin striping or nitrogen filled tires, and I certainly wasn't willing to pay the sticker price of $21,025 that was marked on my car due to that. So, after a test drive and some negotiation discussion on price, I decided it was time to go home and keep researching, because that price wasn't worth it.

I received multiple price quotes from other dealerships for the same car, and received a quote lower quote from another dealer. Got a call back from the first dealership and was asked to come back in, agreed, and they got me a final price I was comfortable with and were able to beat my Credit Union's financing rate(with Capital One...eh but it's still a better rate)

My OTD price which included tags, tags, etc was $18,633
  • Can you tell me more about # 3 2013 Elantra GT A/T ?

I am looking at purchasing one.

What city did you get this quote ?

What options did the car have ?

Thank You in Advance !
  • tagztagz Posts: 4
    After a lot of negotiation, the dealer agreed on $22,700 for the car. The sales tax is 6.25 here in MA, TTL is $150 and the dealer is charging doc fee of $290. So the OTD price is coming out as $24,600 approx. Is this a good deal?

BTW, this dealer has pretty much all color combinations, including Atlantic Blue which is new for 2013. Lot of Elantras in the lot!
  • steven39steven39 Posts: 636
    what was the msrp for this car before discounts?
  • tagztagz Posts: 4
    The dealer gave a paper which has the finance installment options... it said Market value $25,414. Not sure if it is the same as MSRP