Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hyundai Elantra Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• marlenelinmarlenelin Posts: 87
    I don't love wagons, but I traded my 2004 Toyota Sienna LTD which was a real great hauler but heavy to drive. We still needed something to get our daughter's belongings to and from college, so the wagon was the best choice for us. I figure I can stay home, and my husband and daughter can make the trip up to college, and that way the back seat can come down which gives a better chance of getting all her c--p up there.
  • Karen@EdmundsKaren@Edmunds Posts: 5,024
    A national reporter is looking to speak to consumers who purchased a Hyundai vehicle recently (within the past four months) because of the Hyundai Assurance Program. Please send your daytime phone number and the vehicle you own to ctalati@edmunds.com by Friday, June 5, 2009.

Karen-Edmunds Community Manager

• ktv1969ktv1969 Posts: 9
    I just got the following quote from a local dealer in Orange county, CA.

Is this a good price? I am looking for a SE Model, but they sent me a quote for a GSL one. Thanks for any input.

Per your request, this is a quote for a 2009 Hyundai Elantra GLS w/ Popular Equipment Pkg.

MSRP 17840
    Invoice 17035
    Your Internet Net Price 14035!! (before TTL)
  • jfritschjfritsch Posts: 958
    This would be great if:

1) The 08 trade in value of the same elantra wasn't barely $10000.
    2) The Pontiac G6 well equipped around the country wasn't going for $13000 or less
    3) The Kia Spectra and possibly Optima similarly equipped may be sellling for $11000 (check those forums and your local dealers)
    4) At least one SE elantra quote on this forum wasn't in the low 14000's.
    5) The Hyundai Sonata auto around the country didn't frequently sell in the $14000s this time of year.

good luck
    --jjf

I just got the following quote from a local dealer in Orange county, CA.

Is this a good price? I am looking for a SE Model, but they sent me a quote for a GSL one. Thanks for any input.

Per your request, this is a quote for a 2009 Hyundai Elantra GLS w/ Popular Equipment Pkg.

MSRP 17840
    Invoice 17035
    Your Internet Net Price 14035!! (before TTL)
  • bob225bob225 Posts: 46
    If you can get a G6 with abs, traction control, sunroof, heated seats and upgraded wheels for $13k please let me know where, because that is a better deal than the Elantra SE I am looking at.
  • 4elantra4elantra Posts: 10
    Was that $14,035 OTD (Out the Door-including fees, taxes), You can negotiate. May 30, able to negotiate 14,500 OTD from several dealers for this model elantra GLS 2009.

Please let me know. Bargain hard & stay firm...
    Unfortunately, the quoted price of $14, 035 is before Taxes, Title, and License fees. The quoted price only includes the destination fee, which is charged on every car.

I think you got a great deal. Can you tell me where you got that deal? I think $14, 500 or so is a good deal for OTD for Elantra GSE. At least, that is what I think. Does anyone think otherwise? Thanks for any info.
  • 4elantra4elantra Posts: 10
    OTD means out the door, that is the final price for car, taxes, fees....have a car salesman calling with a$14,200 in the NYC area.
  • csi007csi007 Posts: 26
    Very close to pulling the trigger on a 2009 Elantra Touring with the following:

Sport Package
    Bluetooth (Don't really want or need it)
    Floor Mats

For $17,406 + Tax, Tags and Title.
  • chinattachinatta Posts: 3
    $14,200 is a low-ball price. or you have to choose finance.

I have been looking for a 2009 elantra GLS with popular package for more than 2 weeks. The best deal is 15000, which is cash price. For finance price, I have been offered to 14000. For sure I rejected because my credit history is only 3 years long.
  • scdelanscdelan Posts: 10
    jfritsch, your bias against Hyundai/Kia cars is quite evident.

I've looked at your other posts and a lot seem to just bash Hyundais for losing their value after 1 year. Quote just to illustrate from the Malibu forum:

If one pays the normal $20000 for a 27000msrp 09 Hyundai Sonata limited, it is not worth getting excited about 7000 off msrp, as the 08 Sonata has a trade in value of $11000. (if that)

In this example, one (many on the Sonata forum) has paid $9000 to drive a average sedan the 1st 12 months. This is whether you drive the car 1year or 10 years. One may also be paying finance charges on the 9000 for 5 years and be instantly underwater. Many are paying $6000 to drive the $20000 msrp Gls for 12 mo. $4000 off msrp here no great shakes.

Alright, let's play your game. First off, your numbers are wrong. An 08 Sonata Limited will fetch around $13k from a dealer trade in with 10k miles. A GLS will fetch around $11k. That's a $7k depreciation from the Limited and a $4-5k depreciation from the GLS.

Now this is a large depreciation - I will admit that. However, this is under the absolutely absurd assumption that you WILL trade in the car after one year. Who in their right mind would do that? Most people purchase a car to use it, not give it back after a year. If you keep the car for a longer period of time, you'll see the depreciation amounts begin to become closer.

Furthermore, this assumes that the cars your comparing are equal when they're absolutely not. Compare the Sonata to the Mazda3 and tell me you're getting the same features? Power seats, trunk space, safety, etc. You get MORE features for LESS money buying a Hyundai. That's something you can't factor into depreciation numbers.

Oh, and let's not forget the warranties here. Those Mazdas and Toyotas you seem to push only have 3/5 year warranties. Good luck with maintenance costs after that. Sure they could be reliable cars - that still doesn't mean they won't break and incur hundreds or thousands of dollars in repair costs. With Hyundais it's a non-issue. The warranty also makes a good selling point if you ever did want to sell it.

Basically, what I'm trying to say here is that you're just trying to scare people away. For some people a Hyundai might be the right car for them. Why try to stretch the truth and convince them otherwise? If they're happy with the car let them buy it. If you want to be helpful then tell them if the deal they've been offered is a good deal now - not a year from now.

Sorry all for getting off topic.
    This especially holds true for people like myself who like to drive their vehicles into the ground. ;) I couldn't give a crap about the resale value. If I was planning on selling the vehicle after a year or two I would certainly take this into consideration.

I sat in a Rav4 because I thought it would fit my needs the best. Once I test drove it I realized that I would not be happy with the vehicle. I sat in the Elantra Touring and it felt perfect for me from the start. Why on earth would I want the Rav4 that I really didn't care for? Why drive it around and be unhappy with it knowing I paid more for less vehicle?
    I think that is quite high. I traded in my 2004 Toyota Sienna Ltd and got $13,000 for it. I paid an additional 3,050 for a Touring with mats and wheel locks OTD. Mine does not have the Sport Package I got a price from another dealer w/o my trade of $16400 OTD.
    18235 on your OTD price if you added the sport package and the bluetooth. Mine would be about 18500 with tax etc. Not too far off. What part of the country are you in?

Edit: Edmunds TMV price with the options listed above is 18111. My price is a little over 800 less.
  • bhmr59bhmr59 Posts: 1,598
    He further cooked the numbers by comparing an '08 Sonata Limited (6 cyl?) with an MSRP of $24,170 to an '09 Sonata Limited (6 cyl?) with an MRSP of $26,550.

The '09 was a model year "refresh" and included more standard equipment, features which had been optional in '08.
    Can someone tell me if this is a good price for a 2009 SE Sentra

2009 Hyundai Elantra SE

M.S.R.P. 18,935

Invoice $18,318

Hold back $547

Internet discount $200

Your price $14,571 Plus tax and fees

This is what the dealer said that comes with this deal:

This Is an 2009 Hyundai Elantra SE Carbon Gray on gray automatic .This is the mid range model. this has 16' allow wheels am/fm/cd/sat/aux , AC, cruise, 6 air bags, traction control, additional items from factory are carpeted floor mats and bluetooth. There are many other features this vehicles has that I have not stated.

Thanks for any suggestions/input.
    I'm in central NJ. The wheel locks and mats are worth about $200. I assume yours has them as well. I received the price without the trade from Towne Hyundai's internet dept. They are in Denville, NJ. You might ask them for a quote and take it to your dealer. My quote included the 1500 rebate from Hyundai. I was able to negotiate Brad Benson Hyundai down lower, but I wouldn't go to them unless you are ready to walk out with a car. They are extremely high pressure and take your license and make you sign a form when you come in that you will definitely buy during that visit if the price is right. Towne Hyundai seemed much more honest.
    How much is the sport package and bluetooth? My OTD price was $16,050 without the sport package and blue tooth but with mats and wheel locks. Of course, my tax was less than yours will be since I paid tax only on the $3,050 because of my trade. I do love the touring thus far. I just hit 1,000 miles this morning. My husband is disappointed in the gas mileage. I am getting between 24 and 25 mpg around town, and he was hoping for more. It's alot better than the 17 mpg I was getting with my Sienna though. My friend just purchased a 2008 Prius and is getting 50 mpg around town.
    The invoice price of the sport model with bluetooth is $20405. This car does not have the wheel locks but does have mats.

The mileage sounds kind of low. What does "around town" mean to you? I would hope to get at least 27 to 30 with the kind of driving I do which consists mostly of rural roads and highway.
    The MSRP tag price of my touring was $19,475. Around town for me is 6 to 7 mile drives in heavy traffic during rush hour, and rural roads the rest of the time. Have done just a little highway driving.