Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hyundai Elantra Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,622
    Yeah, I am thinking $16.5k + T&L for a loaded Elantra SE, after $2000 rebate but before C4C, would take some luck at this time. It could happen... a dealer might need a couple more sales to reach a sales target for example. Doesn't hurt to try. It's actually not too far off base, considering the price at invoice less rebate and holdback is around $17k.
  • alamocityalamocity Posts: 680
    I too am from Tx and am wondering where you are seeing these kind of deals for?
  • What part of Texas are you from, Alamocity, and how far you willing to drive for a vehicle? And are you looking for a GLS or SE? Let me know and I will do my very best to help you out.

And for those of you who may be wondering, I'm still planning on making a trip to the dealership next weekend to see if they may budge on the price right when the month is about to end. If the vehicle and CARS is still in effect by then, I hope to get a fair deal on the 2009 Elantra SE with premier package 5 (sunroof, heated seats, leather interior, etc.). Not very happy with the $17,900 asking price (For a MSRP of $20,000 while a $2,000 rebate is in effect), so I am hoping they will come down to $16,500 or possibly less. The salesman said just the other day that "these Elantras are in high demand so we aren't going to discount them anymore." I hope they change their tune if it's still there at the end of the month. If it's so hot, I wonder why they still have so many on the lot still...
    But how many of those are SEs? I see quite a few GLSes on lots, but since the current generation debuted in late 2006, I've seen maybe two SEs on dealer lots. It was nearly impossible to find one to test drive. And this is a big metro area (Twin Cities) with several Hyundai dealers.
  • Hi, backy. Right now, the dealership I'm hoping to land a deal with has about 10 SEs on the lot (3 of them loaded with premium package 5). How many of these can they sell by next weekend with the 2010s around the corner? Your guess is as good as mine, but I'm hoping they will want to clear whatever is left at the end of next week. So odd though that I tried giving them a serious offer on the phone just the other day and they're still sticking to their guns that "Elantras are hot sellers, so we're not going to discount them any further." So I'm going to follow the board's advice and hope they change their tune when I show up in person with a check in hand next Saturday.

To be honest, the best offers I have received are from smaller dealerships who don't have much inventory at all. I figure the elephant would've offered the best deal, but we'll see how timing and REAL supply/demand factor into my purchase.
    One factor to consider is how many units the dealer sells in a month. If it's a volume dealer, 10 SEs may not be very many. If it's a small dealer, 2-3 might be more than they want on the lot at any one time.

It will be interesting to see if Mr. Big Dealer sings a different song around about Aug. 28 or so, which is good timing I think. May not be good to wait for the last day of the month--if the dealer has made its sales targets by then, or has no hope of doing so, they may not be especially incented to make a great deal.
  • Thanks for your continued advice, backy. I agree - since this is the largest Hyundai dealer in the area, they are most definitely a high volume seller and who knows how comfortable they are with having ten 2009 SEs on their lot, not including all the GLS models.

I'm planning on heading up on the 28th or 29th to try and close a deal. Does anyone have any more pointers they could share to help me in my negotiations? For example, lets say that by the end of the month, they still have 8-9 SEs on the lot. I'm thinking that will put me in a stronger position, but then again, I don't know how cocky these guys are if they really moved a lot of cars thanks to Cash for Clunkers early this month. If that's the case, I imagine they could possibly hold out and try to sell the car barely below MSRP. If that's the case, I may be forced to walk but I definitely gotta try though.

And I gotta admit I'm still sketchy on whether or not I should offer 16,500 for a vehicle that is scheduled to have the following years model come out in a few weeks. If they try to get me to pay MSRP for a 09, might as well wait and get a 2010 for the same, right? That's why I'm just really hoping that they'll give me a deal on a loaded 09 next week. But now I'm wondering if I should offer less, more, or if that's a fair amount. I just don't want to get hosed and regret my decision...
    I live in San Antonio and as to how far I'd be willing to drive that depends on the deal the dealership would be offering. Haven't priced the Elantra locally in a while as my primary focus has been on the Sonata but the CARS program has elevated the price on them quite a bit. I'd be happy with the SE model without any of the add on packages and from what i've read the CARS program will be ending soon as the dealer association is saying the money is gone already.
  • CARS is ending Monday so you better get a deal in the next couple days. The dealers are going to know this as well so you may not get as good of a deal as a couple days ago but its still going to be better than you would ever do sans CARS. ">link title
  • I'm glad that I got my natural khaki and grey interior SE with automatic, silver pin stripes, floor mats, Ipod cable and cargo tray for $11034 OTD (including a $4500 cash for clunkers). I closed on July 24th. I was also fortunate enough to get the financing at 3.5% for three years from my credit union (total interest is like $575). Man, I see that prices have gone WAY UP since then.

I live in DFW and the tax rate is .0625 and doc fee was $50. License and other stuff was was something like $275. I think my total closing costs were only $850. The $4500 in Texas is not taxable so that helped a lot. In addition, I'll be able to get 20% of the taxes back from the IRS.
  • Well there went my plans! I didn't think that C4C would be ending so soon. So, that means that dealerships might be swamped this weekend and I would more than likely have to pay close to sticker for my preferred vehicle.

$17,900 for a 2009 Elantra SE with sunroof/leather interior? Even if I take advantage of Cash for Clunkers, just seems like I would be overpaying. Decisions, decisions...
  • joegiantjoegiant Posts: 90
    How much life ya got left in the clunker? You're right. If you go into the dealership this weekend might resemble Custer at Lil' Big Horn. Not good. Maybe let some time pass now 'til the feeding frenzy is over and see if ol' Uncle Sap comes back sometime in the future (next year's an election year afterall) with another give-away. Just make sure to keep 'er insured and registered!!!
  • Fortunately, I probably have about 2 years left in my clunker. It's in rough shape though, so that's why I would have preferred to get a vehicle this summer. But just like you said,anyone who goes in looking for a deal this weekend is heading for an ambush. The dealers know they have any C4C customers bent over a barrel and are more than likely going to be sticking to MSRP, less any manufacturer rebates.

So, as of now, I'm probably just going to sit it out and see if there are any good deals towards the end of the year. I think once auto sales see a big drop in September, the auto industry will have to rally and offer some really good incentives to move more cars towards the end of the year.

If anyone takes advantage of C4C this weekend and has any positive reports to share, please let everyone know. Given the conditions, smart money says dealers won't budge, but maybe you can prove us wrong. I'd imagine once C4C is down with, prices will go back down and people will start hearing of deals that will resemble the pre-C4C era.
  • P.S.: By the way, for those of you in Texas, you can find pretty good GLS deals in the Houston area. I'd mention the specific lot, but the dealer asked me not to. Just know that if you drive around and stick to your guns, you can definitely work them down on a 2009 GLS. Hope this helps!
    Look at it as a financial equation. Figure it with the C4C money and without. Maybe assume you could get more of a discount after C4C ends. Factor in the actual trade value of your clunker. I'll bet you'll find you are better off with C4C than without. So if you have time to kill today or tomorrow, it wouldn't hurt to go in and take your best shot, see what happens.
    Thanks I'll keep that in mind.
  • I agree with backy. Yes, if you buy this weekend you are likely going to pay more than you would have last week. But I don't see any point ever again that you are going to talk them $6500 off of sticker.
  • joegiantjoegiant Posts: 90
    Next year's an election year remember. Lollipops given out for all. Pah-leez vote for me, me, me. You get the picture. Might not be the last "clunker" legislation we see. Poster said clunker has another two years or so in 'er. Never say never. Time will tell if that $6500 comes around again.

PS If ya buy this weekend (7th Cav. types...repeat - Lil' Big Horn happening as I write), why the heck didn't ya buy last month at the same time? Waaaaay different atmosphere end of July...BEFORE the tidal wave of buyers knocked down the dealer's doors and broke all the computers trying to get on the government websites for voucher submission. All JMHO of course.
  • With all the backlash from this program I can't imagine we will ever see again.