Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hyundai Elantra Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• hope12hope12 Posts: 2
    Could you tell me which dealer you bought your car from?
  • bruce1960bruce1960 Posts: 1
    purchased mine on 7/2/11 indigo night 2012 limited w/nav, push button start,floor mats,ipod cable,homelink. MSRP was 23,735 paid 22,500 Had a hard time finding a limited with the nav at the time. The local hyundai dealer chillicothe ohio had 3 none with nav that sold the same day they were they came off the truck. Called every dealer within 150 miles only to be told i would have to be put on a waiting list 4 to 6 weeks & that I would be paying MSRP or up to 750.00 more. Luckily I had a dealer in columbus call me to tell me they had just got one in & it was still on the truck. I made the hr. trip & as I was waiting on the financing I noticed a little group of people around the car. stepped outside & a couple approached me & asked if I was purchasing the car. They offered me 500 dollars cash to walk away from the deal so they could buy it. Dont know how hard they are to come across now but a month ago they were really hard to come by in this area,so i feel i got a pretty good deal 1200.00 off msrp & a full tank of gas. Had the windows tinted 20 %. So far I love the car. Purchased at Hatfiel hyundai in columbus ohio
  • steven39steven39 Posts: 636
    20 years ago if you would have told me that someone was going to pay you 500 bucks to not purchase a hyundai car so that they can purchase it i would have said your crazy to even mention such a thing..hyundai has come a long way since then for people to be fighting over the cars.
  • psgame2kpsgame2k Posts: 36
    If bruce1960 is not joking about getting paid $500 to not purchase the elantra, then the world has certainly changed. When did you ever hear people are fighting like that to buy GM or Ford cars?

Toyota Prius has been very popular; people pay MSRP and wait three months for it. Yet, I never hear anyone would pay money to another buyer to not purchase the prius.

What I also do not understand is given the high unemployment rate and lousy economy, why would people fight over korean cars? Maybe we ought to elect a korean to be the president of United States. Maybe he can balance the budget and pay off national debt.
    LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • itaddictitaddict Posts: 14
    Hi,

My coworker mentioned he can get a 2012 Hyundai Elantra (base) for $9999. We are in NJ. I wanted to know whether this is realistic and Hyundai has the margin to come down to this price? I dont mind a base model but from what I've seen, this may be a stretch.

Regards
  • Never happen
  • A 2012 Elantra for $10K? Do you honestly think that's the truth? C'mon now.
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,628
    Oh, he forgot to mention it had been totalled and has a salvage title. And isn't repaired yet. ;)
    now your talking...
  • My guess is that your friend saw a dealership advertisement touting this price. What they missed in that ad was the fine print, which probably said something about "assuming $X thousand in trade-in, $X thousand downpayment." Oh, and of course, "only one at this price."

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

but of course!!!!
  • Some of the local Pensacola, FL, Stealers advertise their prices with a small print included that shows, almost, including $xxxx. cash deducted. Just another way to entice and rip-off the public. They really should be ashamed of their tactics.

van
  • jdr1342jdr1342 Posts: 2
    edited August 2011
    I didn't see any data from my area so I figured I would throw my price up. I'm in the Pittsburgh area and I just purchased a 2012 Elantra GLS with Auto and Preferred Package as well as floor mats for 19,700 OTD. It wasn't an awesome deal, but I wasn't opposed to paying close to MSRP as long as there were no ridiculous added fees included. They did include a $140 Doc Fee which I was not happy about, but it seems as if Doc Fees are getting more and more prominent these days. I had to order from the factory to receive the car I wanted because they are in ridiculously short supply here.
    what was the price before TTT and fees??just looked at a 2012 base model elantra gls with auto tranny without the prefered package down here in north miami fla.msrp is $18,600.00 and the dealer would not move a cent from the msrp so i left the dealership.
  • jdr1342jdr1342 Posts: 2
    I believe the base price for a GLS without the preferred package should run 18,200 unless they have a dealer markup going. I think getting a great deal on this car is virtually impossible with the way it's selling. Honestly I think you should be ok with paying close to MSRP and making sure there aren't crazy fees added at the end. I don't know how large the document (read B.S.) fees are in Florida, but if they're any higher than $100 I would try to get them to lower the price on the car to compensate.
  • jabntckjabntck Posts: 1
    edited August 2011
    Here is what I paid for my car in Salt Lake City, UT:

2012 Hyundai Elantra GLS w/ preferred package, carpeted floor mats, iPod cable:

MSRP.........................................$18,935
    Sales Price..................................$18,240
    Initial hold down Payment............................$ -$250
    Military Discount.........................$ -500
    Document Fee.............................$ 299
    Registration.................................$ 75.50
    Tire Tax......................................$ 5
    Temp Permit...............................$ 13.50
    --------------------------------------------------
    Sub Total....................................$17,883
    Sales Tax....................................$ 1,271.75
    -------------------------------------------------
    Out the door total...........................................$19,154.75

Put another $6,154.75 down leaving me a balance of $13k owed on the car.
    going tomorow to make an offer on a 2012 hyundai elantra gls base model with auto tranny and no preffered package.msrp is $18,500.00 and i will offer 17,000.00 cash...take it or leave it..other people that i have seen on this forum have paid this much for one with the prefered package.
  • A reporter would like to talk with a recent new car buyer who was considering buying used, found prices higher than expected and decided instead to buy new? Please respond to pr@edmunds.com by 4pm Eastern on Tuesday, August 9, 2011 to be interviewed.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.