Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hyundai Elantra Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• steven39steven39 Posts: 636
    plus,you'll get better mpg with the diesel as well.
  • drew11mdrew11m Posts: 85
    Very true. First two tanks got 40mpg in mixed driving and engine isn't broken in yet.
  • dc_driverdc_driver Posts: 712
    Yeah, but you have to consider the cost of diesel vs regular gas. I just checked gas buddy. Cheapest regular fuel is $3.51 per gallon in my zip code. Cheapest diesel is $4.05.

That is a big difference.
  • mmadisnmmadisn Posts: 1
    Purchase Date April 18
    2013 Elantra Sedan GLS A/T
    GLS Preferred Package
    Homelink
    Cargo Tray
    Floor Mats

$18100 - (+TTL)

Quite Happy with the deal.
    wow,didn't think the 13's were out already.you got a great head start for the next year.enjoy the car!!...
  • I paid $18,500 OTD for 2013 elantra +preferred package +wheel Locks in Boston area over the weekend(4/29).
    tax:6.25% doc fee+reg+sticker:450.
    I might have gotten it cheaper because it was month-end?
    what was the final negotiated price before TTT??iam looking for the same car down here in south florida.thanks.
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,985
    A reporter would like to speak to anyone between the age of 20 and 30 who needed financial help from a parent to buy a new car. If you fit this description – or if you are a parent who has helped a 20-something son or daughter buy a new car - and you’d like to share your story, please send your daytime contact information to PR@edmunds.com no later than 3 p.m. Pacific/6 p.m. Eastern on Thursday, May 3, 2012.
  • $17,000 before TTT.
  • gman4911gman4911 Posts: 43
    Wow. Good job. That's about $1600 off invoice. Is the Elantra not popular in your area?
  • Not that Elantra is not popular in the area but I guess the key is to play it hard at the bargain table. I recommend getting online quotes from multiple dealers and then bring the lowest quote further by at least $1000. Some dealers send very reasonable quotes online.
    Also, In my case the month-end may have something to do with dealer compromising on the price a little bit.
    I think anywhere around $17400 for 2013 elantra with preferred package is a good bargain.
    wow,$17,000.00 was the final negotiated price before TTT??that is way,way,below invoice.were there any rebates included??
  • Yes, it is way below the invoice.
    No other rebates included.
    here's the run down folks from hallandale beach fla today of my purchase of a 2013 elantra gls with the prefered package,homelink,compass,mats,i-pod cable in desert bronze with beige interior.msrp was $19,635.00...final negotiated price before TTT was $18,153.00.the real suprise though is what they gave me for my trade-in which was a 2012 elantra base model.car had 6,600 miles on it with 2 deep scratches on the passenger side door that was done by my girlfriend.these were not light scratches as she used all her power with a knife to create these scratches and yet i got $16,500.00 for my car after paying $18,000.00 for it last summer.we had a bitter break up so she left a little reminder on my car.
  • chcougar1chcougar1 Posts: 5
    Would really appreciate some feedback on this potential lease purchase....

So this is what our dealership has agreed to with us:

36 month, 12,000 mile/yr lease

MSRP: 24600
    They agreed to $23,100 after discounts and rebates (However, sales person said the residual and monthly payment is calculated based on original MSRP....is this true?) If so, how is our discounted price reflected in the lease contract?

Residual value $15990 (This is 65%, should this be lower or higher?)
    Money factor: .00244

Down Payment: $2500

Acquisition Fee: $595
    Doc fee: $150
    Title/Licensing: $182.75
    Taxes: $1204

Payments are $300/mo for 36 months

Good deal, ok deal, bad deal???

Thoughts and feedback appreciated. We are supposed to take delivery on Tuesday.

Thanks in advance.
  • swampduffyswampduffy Posts: 3
    I'm picking up a red 2012 Elantra Limited this Sat. Black interior, with nav package.

Two dealers agreed to my offer of 22,600 (which I thought was fair, based on True Car graphs of 'good deal' and 'great deal'. 22,600 is a great deal, according to them. I bought it in NH which has no sales tax, but of course, I'll pay 6.5% sales tax when I go to the MA DMV.

Suddenly there was a $348 admin fee that was never mentioned before.

I traded in a 2002 PT Cruiser. I bargained a bit over the trade in and held out for a price $500 than what I expected them to offer me because I was ticked off at the $348.

The car arrived on the lot with mats and a wind reflector for the sunroof. Two options I never asked for. But I'm not paying for them, either.

Other than the last minute going over the gizmos with the sales person, is there anything else I should know or ask for at this point, or is it all over since I'm bringing the check with me? Of course, I'm worried that what I thought was a really good deal is just a so-so typical deal after a lot of research on my part, since I'm just now reading through these forums on prices.

Any feedback is appreciated.
  • fushigifushigi Posts: 1,218
    Off the cuff this doesn't seem like that good of a deal. My wife bought a '12 Limited w/Tech last September. Price was $23,300 IIRC. So purchase price was similar. We have higher sales tax (about 8%) which, in comparison to your deal, is somewhat offset by your lower down payment (she put $4K down).

Her loan payment - again, she's buying not leasing - is $328.

So you're paying what looks like very close to "buy" prices for a lease. A lease's primary advantage for consumers is a lower payment and this doesn't seem to get you there by very much.

Consider asking your bank or a local credit union about their new car finance rates. We got a loan rate an entire percent lower by financing through our bank instead of through Hyundai Finance.

Disclaimer: I'm no expert on leasing so others may have better advice.
    i just purchased a 2013 hyundai elantra.they tried to sock it to me with a 899.00 dealer fee.i said that just killed the deal for me if you can't lower that.as i got up to leave they called me back and said it will be 399 instead.
  • chcougar1chcougar1 Posts: 5
    Thanks for the feedback.

We are going to look at financing afterall. They offered us 4.99% for 60 months which is a full percentage point above what their special is (3.9% for 60 month loans). I'm not sure why we would be a full percentage point higher. My credit score is about 760 with 12 years of great history. My significant other has above a 700, but with only 6 months of good credit history. Could that really hurt our APR that much?

Anyway. We are going to try to get something like $23100 + $150 doc fee + $182 TTL plus 9.8% sales tax, $3000 down and I'm gonna try to get 4.49% and our payments will be $423. Not amazing but seems ok?
  • fushigifushigi Posts: 1,218
    When my wife bought, Hyundai was offering 3.9%. Our bank got us 2.92% as long as we set up auto-pay for the loan.

Your credit scores are very good with yours being excellent. I'm not sure if your SO's short time with good credit is a drawback or not. You can always try to finance in just your name if it is. How loan officers choose to interpret credit scores always seems like something of a crapshoot. My wife has a slightly higher credit rating than I do and we're both nicely above 750. However they wouldn't approve her for the loan on her own. With me added on it was a done deal. Very odd, especially since she financed her last car on her own back when she had less income and had no issues with a similar payment amount. I do make substantially more money than she does so my debt:income ratio is better (having a joint mortgage might be killing her d:i ratio if they take that into consideration).

9.8% sales tax is ouch high. I'm about 8% around here (Chicago suburbs).

IMO you should talk to another dealer or another bank about the financing. With Hyundai offering 3.9%/60 month (http://www.hyundaiusa.com/financial-tools/special-offers.aspx) and your good credit I don't see why you should have to settle for anything higher.