Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Hyundai Elantra Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    acura03gacura03g Member Posts: 76
    The invoice for 07 Sonata GLS auto with the $500 pkg is $18,158 including destination charge. Your quote is $1000 less than the invoice which is very good in my opinion.
  • Options
    wylldsharkwylldshark Member Posts: 34
    There's a dealership in Alabama that sells their '07 GLS automatic Elantras w/ Preferred Pkg. for just $14,986 - and that's everyday pricing too! They also do not have doc fees, prep fees, etc. - that crap is just dealer profit as places that charge that junk.
  • Options
    lightfootfllightfootfl Member Posts: 442
    How about listing the name and location of this dealer, for all to see and check out. Does he have a web/online page?
  • Options
    backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Can't post web links to dealers here, but with the name and location it will be easy to find on the Web, if they have a site.
  • Options
    bamacarbamacar Member Posts: 749
    Read his Bio, "the dealer" is his employer.
  • Options
    xplorxplor Member Posts: 6
    Could you please post the name and location of the dealer? I am plaaning to buy a 07 GLS soon.
    Thanks
  • Options
    Once again where he works: Hyundai of Decatur in Decatur, Alabama.

They also have 2007 Elantra Limiteds with Option Pack 6 and Auto that have MSRPs for $19595 for only $17100. That is a pretty good deal at about 1500 under invoice. Wish they had Limited or SE manual transmission models with no additional options for a similar discount.
  • Options
    Is that with or w/o the $500 loyalty rebate?
  • Options
    I believe without because it is clearly marked on all the cars, but I am not sure. It is also listed for that price on their website.
  • Options
    wylldsharkwylldshark Member Posts: 34
    Hey folks,

Bamacar is correct: That is without.

Since he posted the name of the dealership, I will elaborate a little on the prices.

Again this is for the benefit of the readers who are looking to save money and do not want to pay too much for their vehicle.

There is no extra hidden fees in the pricing of the cars and as he stated, all prices are clearly marked on the cars for everyone to see. They don't play games with smoke and mirrors, and are very honest and upfront about everything with customers.

For example pricing on an '07 GLS automatic w/ preferred pkg. is $14,986. Anyone living in Alabama only pays taxes and title and that is all. Anyone living out of state only pays the price of the car and is responsible for taking care of taxes in their home state. Anyone who has a Hyundai will get an additional savings off our price.

The philosphy is simple: put the customers concerns first. That means we would rather sell a lot of low-priced cars at a loss instead of gypping people on each car to make as much as we can.

I really enjoy Carspace alot and I do not wish to jeopardize myself so that is all I will say; yes, their is a website and if anyone wishes to check on the availability of a vehicle they can find the information they need from said website.
  • Options
    john_fjohn_f Member Posts: 30
    The philosphy is simple: put the customers concerns first. That means we would rather sell a lot of low-priced cars at a loss instead of gypping people on each car to make as much as we can.

I cannot understand the logic of this statement; if you sell a lot of cars at a loss, you cannot stay in business.
  • Options
    percussionistpercussionist Member Posts: 204

I cannot understand the logic of this statement; if you sell a lot of cars at a loss, you cannot stay in business.

I thought the same thing, but we may have misinterpreted the original statement. Perhaps "at a loss" means lower than maximum profit. Remember dealers don't buy cars, they pay the interest on the cars on their lot until they are sold, then they pay the manufacturer costs (which are much lower than the invoice price we see due to manufacturer to dealer incentives, dealer holdback, etc.) MSRP would generate maximum profit for the dealer (usually 9 or 10 percent, depending upon the vehicle), so to sell the car for under invoice (or "at a loss") might net the dealer only 2% profit. A high volume dealer can definitely afford a slimmer profit margin per vehicle, because they sell cars faster and therefore pay less interest on them.

Also, selling cars cheaper brings customers back for service, parts, and repeat business, thus making more money.

I was on this particular dealer's website this morning, and I did not find the amazing low prices everyone has been citing here. What I did find was '07 limited (which is what I have interest in) for 17,086(it did not say, but I assume that is AT, no moonroof). That is a good price, but MSRP in New England (where I live) is 18,295 for the same car (again comparing with AT and no moonroof), so I'm not about to drive down to AL to save the $500-600 I could get by doing that. Just food for thought ;)
  • Options
    The $17086 is the Limited Auto with Moonroof/Stereo option package. MSRP is $19596 with invoice of $18638. Price is pretty good - maybe even worth a trip south.

Without the package, he said it was $158xx or so (MSRP $18295). It appears they don't have any of those in stock.
  • Options
    The $17086 is the Limited Auto with Moonroof/Stereo option package. MSRP is $19596 with invoice of $18638. Price is pretty good - maybe even worth a trip south.

Without the package, he said it was $158xx or so (MSRP $18295). It appears they don't have any of those in stock.

Thanks! Maybe I will do that if I can get a decent trade amount. If I can get it without the package and with a manual, that would be even cheaper, and I could sight see on the drive down/back :shades: You've got me thinking now!

PS - how did you know what options are on this car? I can't see them on the dealer's website.
  • Options
    Same here. I am waiting to see the first manual transmission SE or Limited without any options and give it a test drive - that is if I don't buy something else first.
  • Options
    nodulenodule Member Posts: 118
    Is was given an out the door price of $16890.00 for a
    2007 Elantra SE. This is the grand total...7" sales tax,
    destination fee, doc fees, etc...everything.
    Is this a good deal, or can I do better??
  • Options
    moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    How much were the doc fees? Doc fees are ZERO at my local dealer.
    Difficult to comment on the price when OTD (out the door) pricing is used since fees other than the price of the vehicle vary by region.
  • Options
    nodulenodule Member Posts: 118
    $45.00 doc fees. Dealer is in South Brunswick, NJ
  • Options
    herotakesafallherotakesafall Member Posts: 103
    Not that I know much about current deals or anything, but we'd need to know if that price quote was for the manual or automatic.
  • Options
    nthenthe Member Posts: 414
    I just bought a limited elantra (carbon gray) for a sale price of 18,189 (does not include taxes as they vary from state to state) in birmingham alabama.
  • Options
    there are no ltds without sunroof package in the country right now. and there every ltd is automatic tranny.
  • Options
    there are no ltds without sunroof package in the country right now. and there every ltd is automatic tranny.

Not true, I'm picking up my Elantra Limited later this week. It is a 5 speed with no sunroof.

I hope I enjoy mine as much as you enjoy yours!
  • Options
    geoelectricgeoelectric Member Posts: 10
    Test drove a GLS yesterday, and inadvertantly ended up in negotiations (really didn't mean to, as I wasn't comfortable buying without a little more research). However, perhaps this'll help someone.

We (sales manager and I) were discussing an '07 SE w/ Premium Package and automatic. I believe it also included floor mats. In the course of my repeatedly trying to leave the table, the price went down to 18000 OTD (I live in California). I'm pretty sure that would have put me nicely under invoice ($17300ish, IIRC).

Unfortunately, after the test drive, I really wanted a manual, and calling around didn't locate any in the area with SE trim. I ended up going through my CU's auto shopper. I don't recall the before-fees number (I want to say it was $16800, similar to carsdirect) but it was ~$18500 OTD for an SE 5-speed w/ Premium. Ultimately worth it to me for getting the better color (carbon gray!) and the 5-speed, but certainly not as nice of a deal. I believe it came out to about $500 above invoice (and $600 below MSRP). I'm a little fuzzy because the final-final number included my trade-in, and I haven't taken delivery--or the contract--yet. I'll update later.

I'm not fretting over what probably amounted to a few hundred dollars, but how've people fared when negotiating for a car that's not on the lot? Part of the reason I just settled for the auto shopper was because I thought having to order the car from elsewhere would be really problematic in negotiations, particularly given that I'm walking in with a specific and uncommon checklist (SE + manual + premium).
  • Options
    what part of the country did you find yours in?
  • Options
    the carbon gray is the color of mine too. i work at a hyundai dealership, and we have a SE tiburon in that color so when my dealership found the elantra in that color, i knew it was the color for me.
  • Options
    Yeah. I was actually fairly flexible on the color (anything but white :) but gray was my first choice. The AT I talked about above was black/beige, which looked OK--reminded me of my dad's old BMW--but I was afraid of the swirlies.

Apparently, getting an SE with 5-speed in the Bay Area is a bit of a chore. One of the salesdrones I called said he could only locate two in the region...one in sand/beige (yuck!), and the other was spoken for. Assuming he wasn't lying, I'm assuming that was the one I ended up going for.
  • Options
    we have a 5 spd gls at my dealership, but as i understand after searching is that the manuals are very hard to find at this point.
  • Options
    Yeah, there were a bunch of 5-speed barebones GLSes available. Just not much in the higher trim. As has been stated in these forums, manual's a tiny part of the market segment, and either gets equated with "cheap" or "sporty." The Elantra isn't really sporty enough to fit in the niche, I guess.

It's kind of a shame, especially since CA is a green state; the automatics are PZEVs here, with a 6HP penalty to the engine. When you're only talking 138HP to begin with, 6HP counts.
  • Options
    what part of the country did you find yours in?

CT...but I was informed that only four of these cars were in the country this week, so I got lucky!
  • Options
    We picked up our new car this morning, so here's my report.

2007 Elantra Limited, no sunroof, 5 speed
    Carbon Grey exterior, Black Leather interior
    I was told only four of these exist in the US right now - let me know if you see one like this!

sale price - $16551

So far, we love it! The shifting is smooth and the ride is enjoyable. More to come later in impressions forum after we drive it more.

Buying experience was great! Our local dealer worked very hard to earn our business: locating the exact car we wanted without overcharging us for it!

Be informed! You can negotiate a good deal on a hard to find car if you deal with the right people!
  • Options
    butterflyjonesbutterflyjones Member Posts: 72
    Is this the OTD price?? What is the sales tax rate?? No LTD available in my area yet!! :surprise: :shades:
  • Options
    Very nice price. Beat my SE price by $200 and got leather to boot :/ Auto brokers definitely don't do you any favors in the pricing.
  • Options
    from what i've been told, 5 spd limited are very rare at this point, so you got really lucky finding this car, great job.
  • Options
    what part of the country are you in, and what was the doc fee (or processing fee) you were charged (if any)?
  • Options
    zoomandyzoomzoomandyzoom Member Posts: 19
    One of my local Hyundai dealers has two 5-speed Limiteds in stock now, both without sunroof. One is in Redfire, and I can't remember what the other color is, but they both have tan interior.
  • Options
    I will try to answer all questions in one post.

butterflyjones - no, the price was the price, not the OTD cost. I will give you that below.

geoelectric - maybe cheaper than the SE, but your price may have been OTD, in which case mine was still more expensive (is yours automatic, because that also would cost more)

nthe - I am in CT, sales tax is 6% of purchase price - trade value. Doc fee at the local dealer was $299. I asked them to up my trade value by that amount to offset that charge. I was lucky to find this car in this color combo.

zoomandyzoom - It was the color combo plus the 5 speed/limited/no sunroof which made this difficult to find. The local dealers were able to find gray interior (not black) OR automatic OR cars with sunroofs. I was pretty insistant about what I wanted.

Here were the final OTD numbers for those interested:

16,551 purchase price
    + 299 doc fee
    - 4,000 trade value (99 Honda Civic LX Auto 4dr 105K mi)
    (Edmunds rates 3800, kbb at 3600)
    + 771 sales tax (6%)
    + 108 registration and title fees (non-negotiable,
    non-taxable)
    Grand Total = 13729 + 99Civic OTD

Not a bad deal - they made about 5% profit, and I drove away happily in my new car!

Take care!
  • Options
    oregonian1oregonian1 Member Posts: 1
    I just drove off the lot with a 2007 Elantra Ltd. without sunroof.

Color: Regatta Blue
    Transmission: Manual
    Leather: Black

17,575 cash purchase price
    +113 license/Reg fee
    +55 title fee
    +50 processing fee
    -300 in-dealership credit for services/accessories
    17,493 total

I committed the classic sin of walking onto the lot and buying without having done ANY research. The only criteria I insisted on was the manual transmission and black leather. None the less, I really like the car and only feel slightly screwed.
  • Options
    percussionist: mine was just under $16900 before TTL, so about the same as yours. Mine was a manual, but had the sunroof/heated seats option. So, we got about the same deal (I think the difference between SE and Limited comes to around $1K, same as the premium option). You got leather and I got a sunroof. :D
  • Options
    so you got it at invoice, right?

and no, the dealer didn't make 5%, they probably made less than $500 on the deal.
  • Options
    sticker on your car is $17,380
  • Options
    so you got it at invoice, right?

and no, the dealer didn't make 5%, they probably made less than $500 on the deal.

Invoice is listed on Edmunds, kbb, and NADA as $15443. Edmunds lists holdback at 2% of total invoice, which would be $308.86, then add $600 for destination to come up with $15734.14 dealer cost. I paid $16551, so they made 816.86, or 5.19% profit. I think it was fair to me and to them.($500 would be about 3.17% profit.)

Plus, they'll make plenty of money off me for service, and they can sell my trade for about $800 more than they paid. I won't lose any sleep over their slimmer profit margin on this one. I'm just making the point that dealers have a right to profit, but around 5% is fair profit. (Not double, like MSRP)

Anyway, we love our new car, and the dealer did a great job for us, so we're thrilled. Would we go back and buy another one? Absolutely!
  • Options
    edmunds invoice doesn't include advertising costs that are on dealer invoices which is about $500. also, did you get floor mats?

not trying to argue with you, but i don't want others to be confused about how much dealers make on new car purchases.

also, while the dealer could sell your trade for $800 more, he also has to do a safety inspection, put new brakes, detail the car, and put new tires on that car before selling it. we put at least $600 into every car we take in.

again, only saying this for information to others.

carsdirect.com gives invoice prices with the advertising costs included.
  • Options
    edmunds invoice doesn't include advertising costs that are on dealer invoices which is about $500.

the invoice I was shown at one dealer listed the costs as $547. I think that is excessive for every single car, and advertising is a cost of doing business.

also, did you get floor mats?

I bought them separately for $85.10.i>

not trying to argue with you, but i don't want others to be confused about how much dealers make on new car purchases.

I totally understand and agree. Consumers should be aware of both sides of the equation.i>

also, while the dealer could sell your trade for $800 more, he also has to do a safety inspection, put new brakes, detail the car, and put new tires on that car before selling it. we put at least $600 into every car we take in.

This car will not be reconditioned by the dealer I purchased from. It will be wholesaled at auction due to mileage (CT car dealers don't generally wish to warrant cars with over 100K miles on them)i>

again, only saying this for information to others.

carsdirect.com gives invoice prices with the advertising costs included.

I didn't know that - thanks for the info.i>
  • Options
    worknmiaworknmia Member Posts: 1
    HEY PEEPS I HAD A DEALER DOWN TO 14900 OTD BUT THEY DID THE OLD SWITCH ON ME AND I FEEL 4 IT. THEY GAVE ME 2007 GLS WITH PREFFERED PKG 4 ABOUT 15,100.. I AM SO UPSET ABOUT LETTING THE DEALER TALK ME INTO GETTING THIS CAR. :sick: OR SHOULD I BE HAPPY BECAUSE I GOT $15,100 OTD ?? :confuse: SOME1 LET ME KNOW IF I GOT A GOOD DEAL OR I SHOULD BE CALLED STUPID FOR LETTING 14900 SLIP AWAY!! :lemon:
  • Options
    It's over and done. Now enjoy your new car! :)
  • Options
    first, is your a 5 speed or automatic?

edmunds lists a sale price of 15,600 (before taxes and fees) for an auto and 14,600 (before taxes and fees) for a 5 spd.

if you got an manual than you got a great deal and if you got a auto then an even better deal with either price.

If this doesn't make you feel any better, then you paid only $200 more for the car, and if you are making payments than you would hardly notice a difference in the payments.

again, like the previous poster said, enjoy the car and don't worrry about your deal cause you got a $500 rebate and got a big discount on top.
  • Options
    honest2honest2 Member Posts: 1
    Hey,
    You got a great DEAL! I paid $15528.00 out the door after recent college grad rebate ($400) and trade in $500...HOWEVER, THEY BACKED OUT OF THE $500 OWNER LOYALTY REBATE AT THE LAST MINUTE! I AM DISPUTING THIS WITH THE HYUNDAI HEADQUARTERS...

The Dealer told me that I could not get the owner loyalty rebate because my trade in (accent) was purchased in NYS and I bought this GLS in PA!! ANyone ever heard of this?? The Hyundai Consumer Affairs told me the dealer told them they denied it because "i did not provide the requested documentation on my accent!"..I gave them the TITLE and REGISTRATION>..they lied...my dealings with this dealership were awful..but i had negotiated a good price and wanted the car so bad ($13,999 for GLS with preferred package before taxes, etc)...

I am waiting to hear from HEadquarters... :)
  • Options
    doanejdoanej Member Posts: 11
    i work for a dealer and you should have received the owner loyalty money. the rebate you should have avoided was the college grad money. as i've been told, you have to have A tier credit but with this rebate you have to finance with HMFC and they put you in the C tier for interest rate (so with a better rate with good credit, you would save sooo much more than $400 over the life of the loan). By the way, did you get a 5 speed?
  • Options
    bill112bill112 Member Posts: 6
    I have been really interested in the new 2007 Elantra, but wanted it in a 5-speed transmission in the Limited trim. Went to the local dealer--really nice folks, but no Limited and no 5-speeds at all.

Went to a bigger dealer a little farther out. They said that Hyundai isn't producing Elantra's with 5-speeds in any trim yet. Unlike the closer dealer, these guys were high-pressure, classic slimeballs. They got me to try a Sonata which was actually a nice car (suprisingly powerful in a six-cylinder automatic) but their high pressure tactics really put me off.

Anyway, I went across the street and bought a Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback with 17-inch alloy wheels, ABS, etc., for $15,398 ($17,296 out-the-door after tax, title, license, etc.). My wife already had one in Sedan trim and we like it really well.

Still, I wanted an Elantra for something different.

Anyway, was surprised that they weren't making 5-speeds yet. And also surprised at the differences in dealerships within the same manufacturers.

All best,
    Bill
  • Options
    5-speed Elantras are available in my area (Twin Cities). But I have yet to see a Limited 5-speed. I've seen reports though of others who have found them.

Your colorful description of the 2nd dealer seems accurate, based on what you said about them.