Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hyundai Elantra Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Kirstie@EdmundsKirstie@Edmunds Posts: 10,675
    An auto writer for a large U.S. newspaper is looking for a few recent Hyundai or Kia buyers to ask them what they think of their cars. He's also is interested in talking to those who are thinking of buying a Hyundai or Kia. His deadline is Friday, March 4. If you're interested in being interviewed for his story, please respond to Kirsten Holguin at kholguin@edmunds.com.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• dukepa1dukepa1 Posts: 4
    Oh yeah, forgot to mention, on the 2005 Elantra Hatchback GLS I just purchased, it was automatic with the Cruise Option and the upgraded CD, 6 speaker option. Paid $11,480.25 before taxes and tags. Had to beat up several Dealers for this price, but I think it was worth it. Anyone with a better deal than this ?
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,621
    There's always someone with a better deal. ;-) The important thing is that you feel you got a good deal--which seems to be the case. Enjoy your new Elantra!
  • george_sgeorge_s Posts: 6
    I got another dealer to offer the same car as in my original post for $13700, out the door, everything included (I learned yesterday the new incentive for March is the same - $1750). When I did the math on the carsdirect price to get an out-the-door figure, it came to about $13500. I asked the original dealer if he could get closer to the $13500.
  • dglozmandglozman Posts: 177
    Elantra GLS, A/T, Package #4 . Current 1999 Elantra owner (not going to trade in). Live in NY so taxes 8.65%

Thanks
  • ak267ak267 Posts: 2
    I've called two Omaha-area Hyundai dealers and I'll see what kind of a deal I can get (2005 GLS Elantra, AC, Auto). I'm learned to be skeptical about some of these "loss-leaders" ads as they always seem to be sold right before I get there (or they end up as a cheap base model).

I've seen 2005 Elantras (before haggling and trade-in) in the mid 12K's. I think I can do better with a little competition.

I've thought of calling the salesperson right outside of their offices and asking for one of these "loss-leader" vehicles. Right after the call is completed, I'll pop through the door and ask to see it.

Sounds kind of devious :)
  • n36078n36078 Posts: 3
    What is Hyundai's typical rebate? Current for an Elantra is $1750 + $750 loyalty because I have a winter rat '94 Excel (deathtrap). Is the March 31 expiration a real stop or do they run this deal all the time?

As for price - there are two nearby dealers that pretty much instantly went to invoice and offered to do a dealer swap to get a car.

Neither has exactly what I want on the lot (and not available in the region) so I am planning to wait until the end of the month and buy what is on the lot and closest to requirements with a Capitol One 5% loan check. If they tend to hold the rebates in place I will get the check so that it goes until at least May and hold off on the purchase for longer in hopes of a better rebate. I have to replace the Excel by July 31 due to inspection - it will not pass again.

My guess is that they will try to make the money on dealer fees for getting the plates and other junk.

Dave
    $2500 total rebates is as much as I've seen on the Elantra. I am trying to think if they ever had $3000 ($2000 + $1000 loyalty) but I think that's been offered only on larger cars like the Sonata and XG. The mix changes over time, however. When I bought my GT in March '04, the mix was $1500 regular rebate and $1000 owner loyalty. When the new Elantra is introduced later this year or next year, the rebates could increase on the current models, but you never know.
    well, Just bought Elantra GLS Package#4 A/T. OTD price is $13,250 (including taxes 8.65%)
  • danf1danf1 Posts: 935
    In the Eastern region the largest combination so far has been 2500. That is where it is at currently 1750 + 750 loyalty. Of course they also have 400 college grad and 500 military.
  • w2323w2323 Posts: 60
    Look at edmunds, carsdirect, and others to get the invoice price for the base car your looking at.

Then subtract the rebate (carsdirect tells you this when you put in your zipcode), mine in Florida is 1750.00

So for instance:

The invoice for the GLS 4 dr 5 manual in florida is:

$12,302
    subtract 1,750
    For a total of $10,552 for a base GLS.

If you have options get the invoice price for each at carsdirect.com and add that to it.

Now don't be scared to offer the exact invoice price that you calculate. Then go up if need be I've paid as little as 200 over invoice.

Remember theres always more dealerships and all they will do is counter offer, and take your keys haha.

"NEVER" work from the MSRP, and try to avoid any b.s. cost the dealership trys to add in later.

Such as extended warrenties, paint protection or undercoating stuff, or dealership fees.

The dealership fee is a hard one to avoid at some dealerships but uit's possible.

Also keep your trade out of your talks till near the end, and don't put your current car down, act like it's a gem.

Go at em!!!
    I talked to a co-worker the other day who used to sell cars. I was surprised when he told me he never negotiates car purchases--he buys through AAA. He said he does that because it's impossible for an individual car buyer to know ALL the discounts available on a car, including the "special" discounts that go to the dealer, special incentive programs etc. So even if you get the car for invoice less manufacturer-to-consumer rebates, you may be leaving lots of money on the table. Interesting perspective, I thought...
  • jamesyhjamesyh Posts: 2
    Hi dglozman,

Your OTD price (including NY 8.625% salestax) $13,250 for Elantra GLS A/T plus Option Pkg
    4/AD is incredibly low. Much lower than the
    TMV, KBB or other on-line price quotes.

Is your GLS a 4-dr sedan or 5-dr hatchback?

Can you inform the dealership's name and city
    (as allowed by the Forum)? And How did you make
    it?

I plan to buy a GLS 5-dr A/T plus option #4
    in NYC, but the quotes I've got are all over
    $14,200 (OTD).
  • SylviaSylvia Posts: 1,636
    You may include the dealership name, city and state in your post. Please do not post names of salespeople, telephone numbers, email addresses, or other contact information.
  • cjp1cjp1 Posts: 1
    Hi --

Looking to buy a 2005 Elantra GLS (5-door manual, plus CD and cruise)in New York. They offered to sell it for:

$13,700
    - 1750 (rebate)
    - 600 (trade-in)

11,350 (before taxes and titles).

Is this a good deal? Please advise. Im thinking of asking to go lower (college credit and dont want cruise)

Assistance much appreciated
  • jprybajpryba Posts: 201
    In my area (Columbus, OH), our Hyundai dealerships have been offering discounts of $1200-1600 on the Elantra as of late. Combine that with the $1750 rebate plus the owner loyalty, and that's one heck of a good deal.

I'm hoping that some of the "deals" people on here are talking about include some sort of discount in addition to the rebate and owner loyalty. Remember that the rebate and owner loyalty come out of Hyundai's pockets, not the dealer's. So don't feel guilty about asking for a discount on top of the other incentives!
    The invoice on this car is $13,580, so an offer of $13,700 before rebates is pretty good. BUT what I recommend you do is ask the dealer what the price is BEFORE figuring the trade-in. They may be giving you less than your trade-in is worth to subsidize the discount on the new car. Just tell them you might sell it yourself, so you'd like the price w/o trade. In general, it's always best to get a firm price before bringing up the trade-in.

You can always make a lower offer. The worst that can happen is they say is "no". But they could say "yes". Right now, near the end of the month, is the best time to do that--the dealer might be eligible for a special bonus if they sell a certain number of cars for the month, so one more sale could be important to them.

Since you don't want cruise, you might ask the dealer to locate for you a car with no options--that would knock $456 (invoice) off the price. You can always add a CD stereo later, for less money and get a better unit besides, or get one of those cassette adapters for your portable CD or MP3 player for $20. But consider that the car may be easier to sell later with cruise--a lot of people like it.

One thing to check on is if there are any "auto show" rebates in effect right now, since the New York Auto Show is on. Hyundai offered a $500 rebate during the Twin Cities Auto Show, but this year it was only on the Sonata. But that might vary by location.

Check to see if you qualify for the college grad rebate, if you are close to graduation.
    We bought it (Elantra GLS 4-dr sedan A/T, package 4) at Plaza Auto Mall on Nostrand Ave at Brooklyn. Note, that our prize includes $750 owners rebate. You might be able to get an additional $ 500 off if you attend auto show this week. Make sure you OFFER ( don't ask for) OTD price that includes everything (taxes, all fees...) Tell them that you already have an offer for let say $13,500 OTD, and if they will beat that price, you will buy this car today.

Good luck!
    Personally I like to negotiate the price of the car first (simpler), then add on the taxes and license fees (which are not negotiable) afterwards--making sure that the dealer doesn't try to tack on any extraneous fees beyond the usual doc fee. But if negotiating total price works for you, go for it.
  • jamesyhjamesyh Posts: 2
    Thanx for your advice. Working on it. Hope to get a better deal.

One dealer did offer $500 discount for NY Int'l Auto Show participants, but it is only available for Hyundai owners--in addition to the $750 owner rebate. Not for me this time.