Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hyundai Elantra Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Since I would have to pay a bunch of money to bring my Canadian Elantra GT to the states, my wife and I decided to buy a new car. She origanallly wanted a Vibe GT or a Mazduh 3 but was amazed at what sellers wanted for the car even a used one. She finally asked me what I thought I could get a new Elantra GT for, I figured with the current $1,250 plus a $500 customer loyalty check I could get her one new for $`14,000. I tried to grind at Ken Garff in Salt Lake City (The owner Mr Garff's son) really pushes that he is a former speaker of the Utah state house and ever more so that he has had prominant positions in the LDS church. His staff at the Hyundai dealership could not have been more rude. I got a quote from a dealer in Denver and Las Vegas and then went to Garff. His manager suddenly got cocky and said I will look after you and practically give you the car......

His idea of a gift was $14,650 plus $399 doc and a few other charges (local tax not included) Acording to this site it was decent but I want a real deal. I informed him that a dealer in denver was over a thousand cheaper, at that point he got very rude and said "Why dont you call Planet Hyundai in Vegas, they give them away heck you might pay only 13k for it out the door" I told him Planet Hyundai quoted me 13,500. At that point he said "No way they are crooks, demand expensive financing to get that price and they will cheat you. I tried to show him the quote as they gaurantee a lower price or 500 dollars in cash is yours. He said again "No way, you need to fly to Vegas and bring back a bill of sale, I dont trust them"....It is Ken Garff I dont trust.

Planet Hyundai did make one mistake with my quote....They made a quote for an automatic, when the relized I wanted a 5 speed the price went down to $12,800 after my rebates and included everything including the local tag to drive it home. I had to pay tax in UTAH....

Ken Garff is over 2k more then the Planet and now they dont want to pay me my $500. I will be standing outside their lot with a list of Planet Hyundai prices for every different Hyundai....

For $12,800 including leather, power roof, ABS, traction controll, Side airbags and a pretty nice stereo. My wife is so excited finally she has a car that she does not feel cheated on. She loves it and so do I......Thx Planet Hyundai, maby I could have saved a few more bucks grinding harder, I would like to know what the best buy out there for the full load GT is????????????????????????????
  • Is that the out the door price? If it is that is a steal. Even with tax and license on top of that its a great buy!

I got my Elantra GT sedan with automatic, package 8 (moonroof, ABS, traction, etc) for an out the door price of $12850 +- a few dollars. This is in southern California (Irvine to be exact).

Anyway, good luck.

Shawn
  • I noticed that Elantras at my local dealer were red tagged to about $2k less than the sticker. This probably includes factory rebate of $1250 (which has now been extended through end of Sept.) I'm hoping to do a bit better than that, but we'll see.
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,682
    $2k less than sticker including rebates is a good start... ;)
  • I am excited because the Salt lake deal Ken Garff now admits they owe me $500 because they could not match the out the door price of $12,800 (pre tax) the are saying giving me $500 is cheaper then selling the car. I dont believe that because why would a dealer in Vegas loose money to sell me a car. But I will enjoy the Elantra knowing that it cost me 12,800 less $500 from Ken Garff.
  • Tom Chevrolet-Hyundai in Norwood, MA has a dealer added sticker for market value adjustment. Each Hyundai has $1797 added to the sticker price, regardless of model. Has anyone else encountered this?
    No, but you should report that one to the Comedy Channel.

That gives me an idea, though. Next time I submit an offer for a car, I can have a line item for "market reality adjustment."
  • I have seen the markup for in demand cars and hard to get models, but on the entire Hyundai line with a hundred of them on the lot, and 05's to boot!
  • nortsr1nortsr1 Posts: 1,060
    a Hyundai dealership in Burlington, NJ and another one in Turnersville, NJ that does the same thing on "ALL" of them!! One of them advertises a great price for XXXX model, and then, way down in the fine fine print, there will be the $1700.00
    "added dealer fees"!!!!!
  • What about "advertising fees"? They are supposedly 1-3% of the value of the car, and added on by the dealer. Can these get bargained away or what?
    I have read in several Hyundai forums that there is a $500.00 "advertising fee" on certain area dealers Mulrooney stickers...and some don"t have that charge...I know when I priced the Hyundai Tuscon in the Melbourne, Fla. area (two different dealerships)...both claimed that it was a mandatory cost (and the way Hyundai and Kia advertise in my area (full page ads a couple of times/week) I would assume that it is a mandatory cost!! However; I have also read that in some areas, the dealers are not chaged this $500.00 fee!! I, personally, don't know who to believe, as every Hyundai dealership I have visited ALL had the ADM stickers worth anywhere from 1200 to 1700 dollars...so go figure????
    I finally gave up trying to deal for a Tuscon or any Hyundai, as there are plenty of other dealerships in Florida that will sell you a vehicle for Tax/Tags/License and "NO additional fees!!
  • When the sales guy vaguely referred to advertising fees, I pointed out that no other product charges advertising fees, and that if the advertising isn't paying for itself in the business it generates, maybe they shouldn't be wasting their money.

He just kinda sat there.... speechless.
  • miamixtmiamixt Posts: 600
    So far we have read about these Fees. Fees come in many different forms.
    "Market Adjustment Fees", now that sounds insane.
    "Advertising Fees", there are Advertising Fees associated with this Product, and not paid from the Manufacturer!.
    "Dealer Service Fees", everything from that free Cup of Coffee to the Janitor.
    "Aftermarket Sticker", the worst Fee you should see. (aside from that Market Adj. Fee)
    Should you pay any Fees? If you get your Car at the best possible price, true Invoice, and all available Rebates & Discounts are applied, I have no problem with a Dealer Fee, in my case $495
    I have no problem with any fee the dealer tries to charge. It's a free enterprise system. And I am free to take my business someplace else.

That being said, I've never been charged any advertising fee or "additional dealer markup" fee when shopping for Elantras at four different Hyundai dealers in my area over the past five years. So this "advertising fee" thing is either regional, or it's practiced only in less competitive markets where dealers think they can get away with it. Fortunately for me, I live in a major metropolitan area with many car dealers, lots of competition for my money.
  • Fort Worth, Texas, is the nineteenth largest city in the U.S. There are several Hyundai dealerships in and around Fort Worth, and just about any other dealer you can think of, usually several of each, within easy driving distance. In my case, I think the advertising fee is charged by all Hyundai dealers and is used by the local Hyundai dealers association to buy local television and print ads. I think.

Nevertheless, advertising is a cost of doing business for all products and it is never added to the cost of the product. If it is not cost-beneficial to purchase the advertising, they should refrain from doing it. They certainly should not insult the buyer by trying to pass it on to him.

That's my story and I'm gonna try to stick to it.

;)
    you go to Florida or New Jersey (and they are NOT less competitive markets).I am not disagreeing with you...only telling you that that advertising fee is part of the sticker in some areas and Florida and New jersey are not small market areas!!!! ....and ADM's... that's the norm in these areas!!!!!
    If that's the way it is in Florida and New Jersey, then no way I am going there to buy a car! :) Re-read my post and you'll see that I suggested that one explanation for these advertising fees is that they are regional... and that does appear to be the case, since they are not charged everywhere. ADMs are applied by some dealers in my area--just not Hyundai dealers (yet).

You meant to say that advertising fees are a part of the invoice, not the sticker, right?
    Yes, the invoice. What I am saying is Florida and New Jersey are NOT SMALL MARKET areas!!!!
  • miamixtmiamixt Posts: 600
    Fees, Negotiable and Not
    There are many hidden fees and charges in the sales process: some inevitable, others questionable and some just plain wrong. The required charges — destination charge, tax, title and license fees which are legitimate. The following are questionable:

Market Value Adjustment Fees. Doc or Conveyance fee: This stands for documentation fee, purportedly to cover the cost of paperwork. It's usually less than $50. Some dealers will refuse to budge on it.
    Prep fee: The dealer preparation fee is assessed to cover the cost of preparing the car to hand over. This one's pretty bogus. The factory covers the prep fee. Ask precisely what this charge entails. Figure out what it should really cost and negotiate it down or out completely.
    delivery charge: Be careful with this one. The factory's destination charge, which may be referred to as the delivery charge, is required and non-negotiable. Sometimes dealers tack on an additional delivery charge of their own. Don't pay both!.
    Advertising fee: This one's tough for people to swallow because it can be as high as a few percent of the price, and because they don't think they should pay the cost of bringing people to the store. This is a gray area, though.
    Note that the four fees above are labeled questionable, not unreasonable. Be sure to ask for an explanation of any fee you don't understand. The dealer may have taken a loss or slim profit along the way, and your fighting over something like a doc fee when the deal is nearly wrapped up may be counterproductive. Choose your battles wisely.
  • Just purchased my 2nd Elantra from the guys at Highpoint. A hassle free experience that did not insulting my intelligence. They offered to sell the car at invoice.(which includes a $385 advertising fee) So basically I paid $385 over invoice. Told them exactly what I weanted and they located it at a dealer about 50 miles away.
    GLS sedan, 5 speed trans, with the moonroof/ cruise/ stereo upgrade package. Moonroof deflector, mudgaurds + floormats.
    Paid $12,932 + Tax and Tags.
    First Elantra was an '02 that gave me 152,000 trouble free miles. Sold for 2K to a friend.