Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Elantra Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• fushigifushigi Member Posts: 1,459
    Personally, unless there's a concern for "American made" I don't see any reason why a consumer needs to care if the car is from Korea or Alabama. The price, warranty, and all other aspects of the car should be identical. Transportation costs are averaged out so they're the same regardless of the distance between plant & dealer.
    2017 Infiniti QX60 (me), 2012 Hyundai Elantra (wife)
  • sleepybubbasleepybubba Member Posts: 61
    edited October 2011
    I have been offered a concrete deal of $19,600 Out The Door price for 2012 Elantra GLS Silver with preferred package and only 2 extras: cargo tray and carpeted floor mats options. The dealer needs me to finance at least $5000 for at least 3 months :mad: although I am ready to pay the entire amount in cash.

This amount is basically an invoice price of $18,306 + 6.25% sales tax + $100 title transfer (required in MA) + $150 extra. I feel I can shave another $100 if I agree to finance, but I don't want the hassle since I can pay cash. I have couple more similar offers, but they all want me to finance...

Should I bite or will I be able to do better at the end of the mont?
  • steven39steven39 Member Posts: 636
    there's always a catch somewhere regarding a great deal.
  • jabcolajabcola Member Posts: 1
    I was shopping for a new car, and for approx. $18,500 before ttl I could purchase (all 2012):

a Hyundai Elantra GLS
    a medium equipeed Ford Focus SE
    a fairly well equipped Mazda 3i touring

Just from looks I like the Hyundai. I drive about 13-15,000 miles a year, mostly expressway. I have been driving an older Acura TL. I am in Chicago so I have to deal with weather.

Thanks in advance.
    I don't see any of those as bad choices. All three are IIHS Top Safety picks.

The Focus & Elantra are newer designs and feature much improved fuel economy over the Mazda. Ford & Hyundai give you 6 speed ATs v. the Mazda's 5.

When my wife was car shopping last month, she was considering fairly loaded cars. When we compared, a loaded Focus was a decent bit more expensive than the Elantra Limited. Ultimately she bought a '12 Elantra Limited w/Tech.

We live in the western 'burbs so I know your pain WRT Chicago area roads & winters. In fact, I just took delivery on a snowthrower a couple of hours ago.
  • missruemissrue Member Posts: 5
    I've been driving a manual transmission for 15 yrs. I just got my Elantra - Automatic b/c a friend of mine got a manual and I found it hard to get used to driving. With my other m/t, I was taught that you gently remove your foot off the clutch while gently applying gas. With the elantra, it seems you just press the clutch, shift gears and just step on the gas. Have m/t's changed that much or is the elantra just a little different? How do you drive your manual elantra?
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A reporter seeks to interview California residents who are currently considering purchasing a new vehicle, or who recently bought one. Please email pr@edmunds.com by Friday, October 14, 2011 and indicate your city of residence, your daytime phone number, the vehicle of interest and the car model you currently drive.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• veerenveeren Member Posts: 64
    Now the price from the dealer (over phone no haggling yet) is 19,500 for Elantra Limited 2012.

6.25% Tax in Dallas TX
    235 as Title fees
    0 Doc fees
    ----------------
    Total around 21,000

I didnt talk about floor marts, cargo net , wheel locks, cargo tray.
  • anandchicagoanandchicago Member Posts: 10
    picked up white elantra gls with preferred package + cargo tray, net and carpet mats.

base : 18500

7% tax
    156 doc fee
    190 Title/Licence plates

$20166 OTD.

This was family hyundai @tinley park, IL.. could have saved another couple hundred at other dealerships but they would put on wait list. these guys had in stock the color i wanted and i couldn't wait any further.. overall happy with purchase. just in case if anyone in chicago area is looking, they had another elantra limited with tech package in showroom.
  • twitchhdtwitchhd Member Posts: 10
    Just bought a 2012 Hyundai Elantra limited with tech package and paid BELOW invoice due to the following rebates being applied:

- $500 motozuma
    - $400 college rebate

Both the rebates come from Hyundai so it is no money out of the dealership. The challenge of course is to find a dealer (more specifically a person within the dealership) who is willing to sell at invoice. I had to drive 2 hours away but found one. No haggling nothing. Called him up and he offered invoice. Make sure to speak with the internet sales manager. They all know you're shopping around. Those that have been in the business for many years can either continue to play the haggling game OR realize that these are price sensitive buyers and at the right price the deal is done with a minimal of back and forth. Luckily I found such a sales manager. Would recommend to stay away from the lower level sales folks as they will have to run back and forth with someone higher up whether they can honor the deal, and additionally get paid for their sales commission which they will maximize.

Ofcourse some will be more willing than others. If the dealership is located in a big city off a major highway and do tons of business, they could just easily sell the car at full MSRP (for a car like this some are satisfied not having to pay above MSRP). Instead of specific numbers focus on the term invoice VS MSRP. I did not play any games trying to get one dealer to undercut the other. I also made sure to cultivate the relationship. Made sure he knew I would now only deal exclusively with him. It helps if they have the car on the floor but even if they didn't you can still have them do a dealer trade. Your best bet is to find a low volume dealership (specifically a person) that is willing to do the extra leg work and willing to accept lower margins in return for a shot at higher volumes. Specifically try to look for an internet sales manager and call them up first, then you can do other correspondence by email once he says the magic word (invoice).

Towards the end of the deal, he even said he was going to fill up the gas tank, without me asking. Never in the course of our discussion did I attempt to get him to add anything else to make the deal more lucrative or try to play any games. It was made clear at the onset of the relationship that this was going to be a straight up no-nonsense no games deal. On the other end, he did the same and did not try to sneak in any additional charges. The only time we talked money was the very first phone call when I was shopping around. I sensed he didn't like surprises so made sure to let him know that I'd be using the two rebates above and they money would come directly from hyundai and not from his profits. Overall, it was a pleasant experience with the least amount of hassle. I did try going the costco auto purchase route as well as the ZAG (amex) route but this was a much better deal than I was going to get with either of those two programs. Just like in any business (or personal) relationship, I felt the key is to find the right person, then spend time and effort to cultivate that relationship. Towards the end of the deal there is an opportunity for what some call the "sealant" or "cementer". I made it known that I have an interest in the ipod cable (an inexpensive item, really). Never asked that it be thrown in, but it did at no charge. Hints work great :) Ofcourse, in return he knows that I'm going back to him for my next car as well. Really a win-win for both parties overall I thought. Instead of looking at ways to split of the pie, look for opportunities to expand the pie (whatever that means).

Will now refinance through my local credit union for better rate & term.
    Thanks for your effort and information.
    edited October 2011
    Picking up tonight my dad's Silver Elantra GLS over gray interior with Preferred Package, carpeted floor mats and cargo tray for 19,600 Out The door. Dealer's price for the car was 18,600, but dropped to invoice (18,306) + 6.25% MA Tax + $100 Title transfer + $150 for the dealer.

Although I was going to pay cash, I had to finance $5000 with agreement to pay off not sooner than 3 months.

I dealt mostly with Internet Sales Manager (really a salesman working on the salary) over the phone and then with General Sales manager. The latter seemed like a straight up guy who was honest from the get-go. He said he only had 2 GLS with least additional options on the lot (and showed both to me). Then he said they must finance as they get a kick back from the bank, so he can hold the price low. I will report if there were any games after picking the car tonight.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A reporter is interested in talking with owners of a 2011 or 2012 Hyundai Elantra who are also parents. If you are interested in commenting on your experience, please reply to pr@edmunds.com no later than Monday, October 31, 2011 and include your city and state of residence, the model year of your vehicle and the age of your child/ren.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

Had a very good experience at Bernardi's Hyundai in Brockton, MA. These guys treat you like you are on Lexus dealership. Started with email negotiations; got an offer with picture of window sticker (insteald of listing all the options). Came back and closed the deal. No game played, no bulls..t offers.

Initially agreed to finance a portion of the payment; later on dealer agreed to accept full payment in cash.
  • kpcckpcc Member Posts: 4
    Hi there I'm also looking to get a 2012 Elantra. Could you tell me which dealership you went to?
    Bernardi's in Brockton, MA.
  • layleelaylee Member Posts: 7
    Getting a 2012 elantra GLS for 18,610, including TTL. May include homelink and other accessories but won't go over that amount. Got a 3.9% rate financing through them for 60 months (great since we have ehhhh credit). 400 rebate from college program. We had to do a refundable deposit of 400 for them to get an elantra (none on lot) and we're gonna use that as a down so basically 18,210.

Lemme know folks, we sign the contract tomorrow!

In dallas area.... we are getting Limited for 19K before TTL.
    what was your price before TTL?

you are paying 18,610 and not 18,210, the 400 hundred you paid earlier...is also paid by you... always calculate the whole price not in part which is owed, it may cause you to take bad decisions, because the math is not right.

Good Luck...
    This is the price sheet that they gave me (this car had homelink which is an extra 250):

Retail price.....18,585
    Savings..........728
    Selling Price...17,857
    Rebate...........400
    Sub-Total.......17,457
    TTL...............1157.20

Net Sales Price....18,614.20

Then we are going to tell them to add the 400 fee for bringing the car to the lot to car and the salesperson confirmed this morning that the car price will not increase, but could decrease if the car they get doesn't have homelink, etc.

p.s. do we pay for the hyundai protection plan's? like the 10/100,000 powertrain warranty? if you couldn't already tell, i'm a first time buyer! :confuse:
    see if you can reduce the price a wee bit.
    I think its an OK deal right now, at that price i'm tempted towards Honda Civic LX, i'd personally get a Hyundai if its a bit cheaper than Honda civic.

No offence to Elantra fan boys, elantra may be a good car, but it has not demonstrated value on road after say 5 yrs of existence, but based on what i have seen when i drove it, i'm ready to give a chance if the price is lowered a bit to cover the perceived risk.
    is this with the preffered package or with-out????
    Ok, I'm hoping to get 200-250 taken off. i like the honda civic, too, but the space in the Elantra is awesome, especially since my husband is 6'5" and fits comfortably.
    edited October 2011
    Without...is this a bad deal?
  • fifthwheelfifthwheel Member Posts: 7
    Hello
    I am also looking at elantra 2012 limited with tech package , gps, auto door locks etc.
    had few questions
    1. what is ur experience of GPS? do you see latest maps with it? and POIs are comparable with Garmins?
    2. Dealer is quoting me $27K OOD. Does that sound reasonble ?

Thanks a Bunch

Dt.
    Hi
    why is mpg only 33? I had asked dealership on claims of 40mpg and was told its going to be close to 36mpg on average..

how is ur experience on tech package - gps?

thanks
    The maps seem current enough though we haven't taken my wife's '12 Limited w/Tech anywhere with recently added new roads just yet. We haven't used the POIs yet. There should be an info display that gives a map version.

$27K seems high but to know for sure we'd have to have a breakdown of car, tax, title/doc fees, etc. My wife's Elantra was $23,300 before TTL; that included locking lugnuts, floor mats, trunk mat & cargo net.
    thanks
    i m in fl so sales tax is 7% and rest of the cost are $300.
    dealer is quoting me firm $24,400 ..so if u add all up looking at 26K

other strange thing, seems like this things are selling too quick..twice i was called for test drive and then told, vehicle was sold ! i want to see tech package but could not..not sure if this demand is real !
  • mikeystoy5mikeystoy5 Member Posts: 56
    If you ask me me, thats way to much. I assume your not putting anything down or trading something. Maybe I'm just use to North Carolina, at least here you can compare prices at a few other dearlers an get the best deal. I guess you didn't go thru the internet to get pricing, as that can sometimes save ya some bucks. I was at the one dealership where I bought mine, an noticed they have 3 Limited's with the tech pkg. I bout a GLS in April witht the tech pkg, and paid 17,200 for a 20,300 car with 1500 down. The nav system works great as far as I'm concered, seems pretty acurate. Mileage is very, very close to what the sticker says.
  • jfritschjfritsch Member Posts: 958
    Purchased my new 2010 elantra gls auto in sept 10 for $13900 (they were 12900 on the east coast all day long)

Relative purchased 2009 Sonata auto gls new for $14300

Last year '10 Honda civic lx auto was $16400 all day long. Mazda 3 hatch about the same

Yes, I know the 2011 models were coming out but the profits being made on these cars now must be HUGE. $27000 or 23000 for an elantra anything?

Gawd I think even the Ford Focus may even be commanding some $$.

The hyundai dealers around here (southern ohio) are half empty for months.
    they must be directing stock elsewhere.

What a difference a year... and $3.50 gas makes.

Good luck
    -j
  • gychanggychang Member Posts: 2
    I am in AZ and want to buy Limited 2012 with full navigation package.

1. where is a good place to buy near Phoenix?, local dealer in Scottsdale is refusing to give me estimate... have to come in which I won't do.
    2. what would be a reasonable out of door price?
    don't know about the priceing in AZ on the elantra's but a co-worker friend of mine just purchased a 2012 elantra limited with full navigation down here in south fla.his final agreed upon price before the usual fee's and TTT was $19,700.00...plus TTT......msrp was $21,300.00.....
    Steven39, the MSRP number your corowker told you can't be right. Elantra Limited MSRP is $21,205. Add the Tech Package to get navi and it jumps to $23,305.
  • tacomaroxtacomarox Member Posts: 3
    Western Washington (Tacoma)
    $22,560

I took a printout of the price from ConsumerReports.org - Robert Larson Hyundai in Tacoma, Washington matched the price.
    was that price before TTL?
  • tacomaroxtacomarox Member Posts: 3
    edited October 2011
    Yes.

Tax = $1069.00
    License = $239

(Traded in a 2007 Honda Civic Si w/32,000 miles. Received $11,500 trade-in. After paying off loan, applied $8,250 to the Elantra purchase. Financed through BECU at 3% for 60 months. Payment is $285.00)
  • sb123sb123 Member Posts: 5
    I got a quote for 17600 for a base Elantra and 599 dealer fee. Is it good or should I push for a couple of hundred lesser. I live in Florida.
    That sounds like a really good deal to me. We bought a base elantra total came to 18,660 and the car came with tinted windows which was a 900 charge tht we didnt get charged.for. We also got all the accessories (cargo stuff, ipod cable, etc)
    is this for a 2011 or 12 and is it auto or manual tranny??just to give you some idea..i purchased a 2012 elantra gls base model with auto for $18,100.00 in august down here in south florida plus TTT....so $17,600.00 is a pretty good deal..i think all the hoopla with the elantra is dying down now and dealers are begining to sell the car below msrp...
    No. My quote doesn't include Tax title/tag. But cargo stuff, ipod cable, etc are included. What did you pay before TTL
    2012 auto GLS without preferred. Dealer fee 599
  • g2iowag2iowa Member Posts: 123
    The chronically short supply of Elantras in midwest means dealers aren't budging much from MSRP and aren't offering much in trade. Best I could do after about 2 months of trying was MSRP and the NADA base book price for the trade. (Honda dealer next door offered me nearly twice in trade when I looked at Civic and that is in same dealership chain.) My dealer, the only one for about 100 miles around, had next to no Elantras for weeks at a time. Every time one would come in it was pre-sold. Dealer would only talk to you if you put $500 deposit down and agreed to take whatever the next car that came it available for sale. My dealer traded something off his lot to another dealer in my state for my specific Elantra. And my dealer shafted me by adding a bogus paint sealant product at $385 and cheesy mud guards at $85, even though I specifically requested these not be put on the car. Dealer response, take what I give you or I sell to someone else.
    then let them sell to some one else.you shouldn't have to pay for things if you don't want them.
    Wish it was that simple. While I agree with you in theory, not so much in the real world as it is today in my specific area. I had already spent 2 months trying to get an Elantra with no success. So it was either his way or no way for me. Plus I had a trade in I wanted to get rid of before it hit an expensive 90K service mile mark, and it was starting to show some serious front suspension issues. Elantra met all my criteria, including price. I have only 1 Hyundai dealer in my area. And he is only about 2 miles from my house. So I wanted to buy from him. Too bad he is old-school bad in regard to the bogus dealer add ons that are just profit spiffs for them. But too many of the dealers around here are like that, esp. on the low-to-middle end of the market (Ford, Hyundai, Honda, Nissan, Mazda, Toyota, etc.) Same Hyundai dealer owns the Honda site next door and he spiffs those Civics, too.
  • vegan3vegan3 Member Posts: 2
    I just got a quote for Hyundai Elantra 2012 gls(automatic) with preferred package for $19500(including ttl+fees+license), is that a good deal. I got this deal from a dealer in Utah and he said can ship the vehicle for $200 more. I live in LV and the dealer here offered $20080(inclduing taxes, license and fees). Here in Vegas they have set doc fees as 499 and I think every dealer is following it as a standard number.
    Can you tell is that a good deal?
  • vegan3vegan3 Member Posts: 2
    edited November 2011
    Actually the purchase price I got in Utah is $17770 inclduing preferred package
    and in Vegas $18049

Utah:
    Offer:17770
    Doc fees: $299
    Tax: $1440(NV Tax @8.1%)
    Title: $18

Vegas:
    MSRP is $19,085
    Invoice is $18,549
    Offer is $18,049 plus taxes and fees
    Tax: $1504 (NV Tax @8.1%)
    Title: $28.25
    Doc Fees:$499
    OTD: $20080
  • siraskalotsiraskalot Member Posts: 10
    Hey all went to a dealer in ny was wondering what you guys thought of the price they gave me..

After a bit of haggling they offered the following

2012 elantra ltd with tech package white with black interior

21,055 before all taxes/fees. I was planning on going back to the dealer tomorrow to sign the paperwork.. Ideally i would like to shop around a bit more, but time is of the essence. What do you guys think?
  • onewingzonewingz Member Posts: 1
    That sounds like a good price on the Limited. MSRP is over 23k.

I just bought this week. Austin Texas, supply seems very limited here. New 2012 Elantra GLS with preferred package plus the homelink mirror and carpet mats, and the little dealer added things that they always do - 18,500+TTL, so I got it out the door for under 20k. MSRP from Hyundai.com for this car with these features is 19,150. I did have an offer for $500 less than that from another dealer in town, but chose to pay a little more to go with a dealer that I had a better rapport with and had a better reputation.

I should also point out that I'm 6'6" tall and 270-280 lbs. There simply is not any other car I know of that you can buy new for under 20k that fits me this comfortably. Came from a Volvo s80 and this car only has SLIGHTLY less leg room, and has more head room. I am not in any way feeling cramped in this car. It is absolutely ridiculous the amount of room in this car.
    Sounds like you got a good price, given the limited supply. Helps when don't have a trade. Car is amazingly roomy, both cabin and trunk. I can't really see much point in going to the Sonata. With no sunroof there is great headroom. I'm 6'2" and share car with someone much shorter. She sets seat up as high as it goes. I leave it there and still have plenty of headroom. My 6'9" and 6'7" brothers can sit in it and get comfortable, too.
  • dixmdixm Member Posts: 1
    I just bought my Elantra-GLS Red color with Prefered package + Home link, mats, cargo net , wheel lock. Was thinking about civic vs elantra, but elantra is winner very roomy plus sporty design.

M.S.R.P : 19,700
    Paid : 15, 400
    O.T.D 17K ( with Tax, DMV and Doc fee)

Did not get deal on financing but i am going to move to DCU after 30 days.

I know we got the best deal but spent two days at dealership, walk-out three time and finally got it. They were giving same dea (19k OTD)l on limited one but we already have BMW with all the features so this is going be commute car. So far drove 80 miles (city) and average is coming to 32, i know we have to wait up-till 1k miles to get real numbers. one more thing I-phone 5.1 o.s is not working as I-POD but i can live with blue-tooth and still play the music.
    wow that was a really good deal. kudos.