Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hyundai Elantra Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• bob225bob225 Posts: 46
    They are probably the closest to me. About 1 hour.

If I don't get an email reply tomorrow I'll give him a call.
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,718
    Yes, the $2000 (or $1500 depending on state) rebate is to the consumer. However, $15k OTD for an Elantra SE as you described would be a really exceptional deal right now, given the low availability and popularity of the SE--unless there's almost no sales tax and low license fees in your state. Consider that invoice for the car you are looking at is around $17,500, or $15,500 after the $2000 rebate. So to get it for $15k OTD you're going to have to convince the dealer to part with this rare and popular car for, what, $2000 or so under invoice? I'm not saying it's not possible, but could be real tough to do. That kind of discount would be easier to get on a GLS vs. an SE. Good luck.
    Dealer told me that invoice was $ 15,677 or something like that. Hopefully the other 4 dealers I emailed will get back to me tomorrow so I can compare. Either way the info. here was useful and I will use everyones data to make an informed decision.
    The dealer must have included the $2k rebate when they quoted the invoice to you. To verify that, you can check out the invoice pricing right here at edmunds.com.
  • wiesmanwiesman Posts: 5
    Purchased a Hyundai Elantra GLS with Power Package for $13100 out the door two weeks ago from dealer in Fairfax VA. Sticker was $17,000. 3 1/2% sales tax in Virginia and $295 dealers prep fee, and $35? registration fee. So about $12400 before tax and fees. Dealer threw in mats. Also dealer in Alexandria VA which is desperate to make sales. His new car department is selling to his used car department in order generate sufficient volume. I don't see that much of a difference between the GLS and SE models to justify the incremental amount. I would consider taking a short drive to Northern Virginia.

Ron
  • thndrstmthndrstm Posts: 47
    The big difference between the SE and GLS is the electronic stability control which Consumer Reports considers a must have.
    That plus 16" alloys vs. 15" steelies (may help improve handling a bit), leather-covered wheel with audio controls, leather-covered shifter, telescopic wheel (can be important for a comfy driving position), and trip computer with mpg meter.
    Well there are only two dealers that have the SE with Premium Pkg and 5 Speed. Both are close in proximity to me. They are hoovering around $ 15.7k

I just found out that Southwestern PA has a $500 autorama discount and dealers have some dealer cash avaliable (based on volume sales) so the $ 15k is looking realistic.
    If I go with a 2008 Hyundai Elantra GLS (Vehicle Options: Automatic, Splash Guards, Floor Mats, Popular Equipment Package) with a MSRP of $17,165 I can get for $13,899 - $ 500 plus a possible $ 500 if they meet quota.

Unfortunatly, this one does not have the electronic stability control which I want.
  • gofishgofish Posts: 24
    Auto or stick?
  • platyaseplatyase Posts: 2
    We just took possession of a Elantra SE automatic for $15K OTD. I emailed a few dealers in the area requesting quotes on a base model SE, and Herb Connolly (in Natick, MA) emailed back with a price of $14,200 for an SE automatic with floor mats and mudguards. A few other dealers replied with quotes around invoice price or with the "stop on in and make a deal" line. I went with Herb Connolly because it was a great price with no haggling needed. I also qualified for the graduate rebate so that was another $400 off.

So the total breakdown was: $16,200 - $2000 rebate - $400 grad rebate + $690 MA tax + $428 doc fee + $78.50 registration/title = $14996.50.

The documentation fee seemed a bit high, but the overall price seemed fair enough. When we were at the dealer, they had a total of 8 SEs to choose from. If anyone is in the MA area and looking for the Elantra, feel free to drop me a line and I can let you know who I worked with.
    On the high doc fee... the dealer giveth, and the dealer taketh away. ;) They have to get their profit someplace, right?

That is a really good deal. I have a hard time finding even one SE in my area. I was at my local dealer today (got a bulb replaced) and they had zero SEs in stock.
  • I live in Ohio and got a quote from Towne, yes I will drive there if I have to. Anyway, quote frome Towne for 08 GLS PZEV Automatic with Popular Equipment Pakage, Carpeted Floor Mats,Cargo Tray was $12,856 with them stating: All available manufacturer rebates are included in this quote.

Ok, truth is I'd rather not drive out of the way if I don't have to, but I will. I asked local dealer in Ohio to match. He says that the rebate is 1500 here, and states that if I buy in NJ, I will not qualify for the 2000 rebate and will not get it. He states he can sell me the same car for 14890 plus tax & title, says at this price he will only be making $50.

Does this sound right? If I go to Towne will I really be getting the car for what they say or do they charge me $12,856 plus $2000 for the rebate and send me home to wait on the $2000 to come in the mail later (which I may not qualify for according to the Ohio dealer).
  • jfritschjfritsch Posts: 958
    Isn't the rebate 1500 in ohio with several military and college options for another $500.? At least it is here in southern ohio (45205 zip). I don't think a 500 difference would make a 2000 difference in the offers. That said, I don't think the dealers in southern ohio are hurting to move cars.

I wouldn't put that much effort in to drive a Hyundai. Yes the car will wholesale in a year for 11000 and 13000 ish is about what you want to pay but there may be better deals out there end of month.

--jjf

live in Ohio and got a quote from Towne, yes I will drive there if I have to. Anyway, quote frome Towne for 08 GLS PZEV Automatic with Popular Equipment Pakage, Carpeted Floor Mats,Cargo Tray was $12,856 with them stating: All available manufacturer rebates are included in this quote.

Ok, truth is I'd rather not drive out of the way if I don't have to, but I will. I asked local dealer in Ohio to match. He says that the rebate is 1500 here, and states that if I buy in NJ, I will not qualify for the 2000 rebate and will not get it. He states he can sell me the same car for 14890 plus tax & title, says at this price he will only be making $50.

Does this sound right? If I go to Towne will I really be getting the car for what they say or do they charge me $12,856 plus $2000 for the rebate and send me home to wait on the $2000 to come in the mail later (which I may not qualify for according to the Ohio dealer).
  • bhmr59bhmr59 Posts: 1,598
    Towne hasn't pulled any BS that I know of (including several friends who have bought from Towne).

The rebate(s) is included in your drive away price (you don't have to wait for it ).

Towne does have a $189 doc fee plus title & registration fees, plus your state's sales tax. If you don't want the window etching, tell them you don't want it. They'll probably waive that charge, even if the windows have been etched.

The Ohio dealer is feeding you BS about not qualifying for the rebate.
  • So your friends that bought from Towne, were they from out of the state of NJ? I would love to get a good price, but I don't want to take all the trouble to get there and then find some surprises. Ohio dealers in my area, central and SE Ohio, are not interested in coming close to Towne's offer. I guess that is why I am a bit on the defense. I'm starting to lean towards just giving up on the Elantra and go towards the Honda/Toyota that I originally was thinking of.
    Many reports in Town Hall vouch for Towne's upholding their advertised Internet prices.

Why would you pay a LOT more for a comparable Honda or Toyota than take advantage of the pricing at Towne, or even calling the Ohio dealer's bluff and tell them you've checked with Towne (after doing so of course), it's a bona fide offer including the rebate, and if they don't come down on their offer some that is where you'll go? Maybe show the dealer the Internet pricing page on the Towne web site. Consider though that there will be some cost to you to go to Towne, so you should consider that in your negotiating with local dealers.
  • bhmr59bhmr59 Posts: 1,598
    The 8 purchases I referred to (including our own) were all made by CT residents. Towne is about 100 miles from where we are (but 2 of the guys are another 20 miles further).
  • mjoshimjoshi Posts: 34
    I'd say you got the excellent deal on 08 SE Automatic. I've not seen that price around anywhere in NY. Seems like dealers in MA are giving good deals. I bought mine for $16200 08 SE Automatic Silver color with mudguard, floormats, extra all weather mats, spoiler and window tint job.
  • mort4371mort4371 Posts: 27
    I'd say it probably is legit. They just sell cheaper than most smaller dealers are willing to sell.

I've bought two Hyundais from Fitzgerald (Rockville, MD) in the last 15 months. It's about 2 1/2 hours from me, but neither of the smaller local dealers in my area were willing to be even competitive with Fitz's price, and neither had exactly what I wanted either.

Both times (wife's Sonata last winter, and my Elantra this month) we've chosen something local that wasn't exactly what we wanted (color/option/etc-wise) but close enough we'd live with. Both times, put the check on the table and told them we'd have a deal if they would match or come close to the price we could get (on the exact car we wanted, no less) from Fitz. Financing was in place, all I had to do was sign the check. Both times, the dealers let us walk away, still about $1000 give or take from what Fitz would do. Both times, we went to Fitz and had no problems, hitches, or hidden charges.

This last time, with the Elantra, wife and I spent a whole day hopping around the local dealers, trying to get them to find something close to what I wanted and to compete with Fitz's price, listening to the managers tell me there's no way they can find/swap for the color I want in the SE/manual I want... Had checked Fitz for pricing, but not if they had the exact combo I wanted. Finally, about 5:00 that day, after getting worn out locally, decided to call Fitz salesman I dealt with on the Sonata. Called him, he took my cell number and called me back about 15 minutes later. No car like I wanted in stock, but one incoming (they had the invoice for it, but not the car yet) that was exactly what the local guys told me I'd never find. I gave him a credit card deposit to hold the car, and went to get it 10 days later when the car arrived. Couldn't have been simpler or easier (though it could have been closer ;) ).

I'm frankly not even sure I'll bother with the locals next time I'm in the market. The Sonata search and dealing was terrible. Decided to give them another chance with the Elantra, and I made sure it was less painful this time around but it was equally unfruitful. They may not get a third chance.
    Elantra SE plus Premium Pkg. with 5-speed plus floor mats, trunk mat, trunk net and mud flaps. Color: Quicksilver

MSRP $ 18380 with freight

puchased for $ 15,200 + $ 70 in dealer fees. Total $ 15,270

I will pay my 5% taxes in WV. Purchased in PA

Thanks for all the feed back and details experiences.
  • ramaducharamaducha Posts: 3
    Congrats! If you don't mind, where in PA did you purchase from? I am still trying to get a good deal on one. Thanks.
    Autoland Hyundai in Uniontown www.hyundaiofuniontown.com I got their last one but tonight manager said he was making a deal to aquire another one. Not sure if it was 5 sp or auto. They have alot of the GLS

Ask for Tracy or the Floor Manager Bob. Both really nice guys. Not sure if they will work the same deal tomorrow as today was the end of month.

FWIW Morgantown Hyundia has a Blue 5 sp. SE with premium pkg. (Did a few days ago)
  • kichwakichwa Posts: 1
    I just bought a Carbon Gray auto SE with mudguards, cargo net, cargo tray, and mats for 15704.

MSRP: 18,120

purchase price: 17204-1500(Utah rebate)=15704

I know its not the best deals thats been posted here but I'm happy. Unfortunately the dealers here aren't desperate for sales so I couldn't get a price like some others here. I still consider anything under invoice on an SE a great deal and I'm about 267 so I have no complaints.
    Your right anything under invoice is a good deal. I was the last sale of the night. We left around 10:00pm. Sale manager said they sold about 90 units in April. Not bad for a small town dealership.
  • cybermecyberme Posts: 1
    I live in houston, tx. The lowest quote I got for a 08 elantra gls/w package 2 is 15000 OTD. I saw people here bought it for only 13800. Dealer said that was not possible. Please help me. Where can I get a good deal in houston area? Thank you very much!
  • kevin58kevin58 Posts: 1
    hi!
    i just got the qoute in seattle ,wa
    ALL AUTO

SE 14780 (after rebate 1500)
    1697 (tax , doc, etc) 9.2% tax included
    =16477 (OTD) price

GLS + ppk + mat + mud
    13980 (after rebate 1500)
    1624 (tax, doc, etc) 9.2 % tac included
    = 15604

do you think it's good deal? Tell me..!!
    actually this is my second deal in same dealer..

thx!
  • mrcellusmrcellus Posts: 52
    IMO both are pretty good deals although I do not see the model year-are they 07's or 08's? I would definitely go for the SE especially if its a 08'.
  • alamocityalamocity Posts: 680
    You didn't specify whether it was automatic or not but if so and that was the drive out price that isn't a bad deal.