Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hyundai Elantra Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• marlenelinmarlenelin Posts: 87
    My receipt is written up strangely, but the bottom line is that I put out $3,050 which was $800 less than Towne and several thousand less than other dealers. This is how it is written:
    Touring, auto b pearl, auto w/ mats and wheel lks $16.492
    Less trade in - $13,000
    State sales tax 6% (based on 3942) $275
    Title $75
    document fee $249
    Nj Tire fee $7.50
    Total $4,550.00
    less rebate -1500.00
    amount due $3,050.00

I love it so far. Marlene
  • 4elantra4elantra Posts: 10
    Thanks for info, did this include premium pkg (sunroof & heated front seats), or premium & leather pkg?
  • jfritschjfritsch Posts: 958
    False. If you buy a 27000 hyunda limited sonata for what they usually go for ($20000), and the 08 has a used trade in value of under $12000, you've just paid over $8000 to drive a Hyundai the 1st 12 months, regardless if you keep the car 1year or 12 years.

Better yet, you may get to pay finance charges on the 8000 for the 4 or so years to pay the thing off. You do this to have a car that is not held in that high regard in the used market, or by the public. Probably around a Chevy, or less. For most production vehicles like this, one would like to eat around 3000 or so 1st year.

Agree Hyundai is a much better car than it was 4 years ago, but the used scene hasn't changed in 20 years.

A good sales price for the Sonata gls auto (msrp 20400) or elantra gls auto/pkg (msrp 17500) is around the $13000's . Less than this is something to get excited about. (the 08's trade in of both used is $10000)

Good luck
    --jjf

A
    You also have

jfritsch:

I do agree with you that Hyundai's resale value is not it's strongest feature. If you tend to hold cars until they die, then it doesn't matter.
    No, this did not include the premium package. I felt approximately $1500 more for sunroof, and larger wheels was not necessary for me. Mine does not have leather either. I had to try to keep the cost to $3,000 plus my Sienna LTD or else I couldn't buy the car (husband issue), so I came within $50 of my goal. Marlene
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,784
    Consider that the 2008 Sonata is now a 2 year old model, since it was introduced in early 2007. The 2009 Sonata is now over 1 year old, since it was introduced in early 2008. So when you are looking at a used 2008 Sonata for $12,000 trade in value, keep in mind that represents TWO years of depreciation--with less depreciation if you go by private party value vs. trade-in value.

I have to laugh whenever I see statements like "a good sales price for the Sonata GLS auto is around $13000s." That is simply not a realistic price for that car. I challenge you to find ONE report here of someone who bought a new (non-demo/loaner) 2009 Sonata GLS auto with MSRP around $20,400 for the $13,000s. Maybe it has happened someplace, under very special circumstances. But I think it is misleading to suggest to buyers that a good sales price for that car is in the $13,000s. It sets unrealistic expectations for what is possible in this market. I know where deals like that CAN be found right now--try one of the Chrysler or GM dealerships that is being forced to close. I've seen reports of great deals available at those dealerships.
  • curious31curious31 Posts: 6
    It did not include the premium pkg just the standard features.
  • colloquorcolloquor Posts: 482
    I know I'm replying to a several day old post, but here goes. I own a previous generation Elantra - a 2006 GLS sedan. Previous to buying the new Elantra, I've owned a Honda, Toyota, Mazda, SAAB, Volvo, Dodge Grand Caravan, and some other imports. My son bought a new Mazda 3 Grand Touring 5-door last summer. I, too, wouldn't call the Mazda a "much better" car, as my son's had a few problems, including a consistenly sub-standard A/C system. In comparison to the previous Honda and Toyota bought new, the Elantra takes a back seat to neither of them in build quality. In fact, the Elantra is the first new car I've ever purchased which had zero defects from the factory, and still does to this day - nearly 4 years after purchase, not one failure of anything.

I don't concern myself with depreciation, as I generally keep a vehicle for at least 10 years, sometimes much longer. In fact, I still have the '85 SAAB 900 I bought new in April 1985. Market perception is what drives depreciation levels, and sometimes this is not in step with reality.
  • faykfayk Posts: 11
    Hi - I am in VA and my daughter is looking at the Honda Civic LX 4dr AT vs the Hyundai Elantra SE 4dr AT. The pricing we have right now is $16,500 OTD on the Honda (2.9% financing 36 months) vs $15,500 OTD on the Elantra (0% financing 36 months). Our family owns 3 Hondas so I know that's a great deal on the Honda. Don't know as much about the Elantra. Thoughts anyone? I'd appreciate any input which helps her make the decsion. Thank you. :)
    In the tristate area & was able to negotiate $14500 OTD Elantra GLS from three places. Did not take any of them. Looking at some other options. Good luck.
  • bhmr59bhmr59 Posts: 1,598
    Are the Civic LX and the Elantra SE comparable trim levels? While there is $1,000 difference in price in the deals you mention (plus the finance charge savings), is there a difference in standard equipment?

Both cars are supposed to be very reliable.
    The SE Elantra comes with traction control and vehicle stability. Does the LX Civic have it as well? I own a 2008 Elantra Se and love it. My friends own a 2009 EX Civic (the upgraded model) and love it. I just purchased a 2009 Elantra Touring two weeks ago. My husband owns a 2006 Honda Accord and I don't find the seats as comfortable as I do the Elantra. I feel too low to the ground. You might want to contact the internet department at Towne Hyundai in Denville, NJ. They usually seem to have the best prices on Hyundai's. Get an internet quote from them and then take it to your dealer.
    There is quite a difference in equipment levels between the Civic LX and Elantra SE. Besides the aforementioned stability and traction control, the Elantra has alloy wheels, trip computer, leather-wrapped wheel and shifter, fog lamps, audio controls on the wheel, 60/40 folding rear seat with center armrest, XM radio with 6-speaker stereo, USB jack (I think the 2009 Elantra added that), heated mirrors, not to mention a longer warranty. The Elantra is also considerably roomier, especially in back. The Civic though has a 5-speed automatic, superior fuel economy, and better crash scores. If you are buying mainly based on equipment, the Elantra is the better deal, but the Civic will hold its value better, which is important if you plan on selling it in 2-3 years.
  • bob225bob225 Posts: 46
    Elantra SE is clearly a better deal. More options and reliability should be about the same.
  • I just finalized the deal on a 2009 Elantra GLS with Preferred Package, Bluetooth and Cargo Tray for 13,700 + Tax, Title and Registration. The dealer is Keyes Hyundai in Van Nuys CA. My itemized price and the OTD are as follows

Base Price: 15700
    Tax on Base: 1300 (8.25% in Ventura, CA)
    Price after 2000 Rebate: 13700
    DMV Fee: 270
    Doc Fee: 55
    Tire Fee: 8.75
    OTD: 153,34
  • sandman_6472sandman_6472 Coral Springs, FLPosts: 2,816
    Is this the wagon model? Saw 2 blue Elantra wagon looking cars on the way home earlier and liked what I saw. Has nice lines that look better than the sedan actually. The wife is interested in the Elantra and the wagon looks neat. Bet it's pricey though.

The Sandman :shades:

2015 Audi A3 (wife)/2015 Golf SE (me)/2009 Nissan Versa SL Hatch (daughter #1)/2008 Hyundai Accent GLS (daughter #2)

Pricey? I dunno. The Touring with AT lists for a few hundred bucks less than a Civic LX-S AT, but includes extra equipment such as stability control, traction control, fog lamps, heated mirrors, USB port, adjustable lumbar support, leather wheel and shifter, and trip computer. And that is before the current $1500 rebate on the Touring. Lots more room than a Civic also. The back seat is absolutely HUGE--more legroom I think than a Sonata. The days when Hyundais were simply "cheap" are gone. But they offer a lot for the money.
  • It is the GLS Sedan
    What I saw was definitely not a sedan...it looked like a station wagon and it was very cool. Will check it out as a replacement for my '06 Civic come 2012 or 2013.

2015 Audi A3 (wife)/2015 Golf SE (me)/2009 Nissan Versa SL Hatch (daughter #1)/2008 Hyundai Accent GLS (daughter #2)

What you likely saw was the new Elantra Touring which is a station wagon. I purchased one two weeks ago and I love it. I also have a 2008 Elantra SE Sedan. The ride in the Touring is different than the sedan. It is stiffer and the seats are not as cushy, but I love both cars. Marlene
    Very nice car and will definitely consider it for my next vehicle. Our daughter got an Accent last November and we're very impressed with it. The older girl almost got the '09 Elantra GLS but the dealer and I couldn't agree on a fair price so she got a Versa hatch CVT. But I have no qualms about buying another Hyundai product in the future since the wife also likes the Elantra. She hates wagons though but time will tell.

I don't love wagons, but I traded my 2004 Toyota Sienna LTD which was a real great hauler but heavy to drive. We still needed something to get our daughter's belongings to and from college, so the wagon was the best choice for us. I figure I can stay home, and my husband and daughter can make the trip up to college, and that way the back seat can come down which gives a better chance of getting all her c--p up there.
  • Karen_CMKaren_CM Posts: 5,032
    A national reporter is looking to speak to consumers who purchased a Hyundai vehicle recently (within the past four months) because of the Hyundai Assurance Program. Please send your daytime phone number and the vehicle you own to ctalati@edmunds.com by Friday, June 5, 2009.

Community Manager If you have any questions or concerns about the Forums, send me an email, karen@edmunds.com, or click on my screen name to send a personal message.

• ktv1969ktv1969 Posts: 9
    I just got the following quote from a local dealer in Orange county, CA.

Is this a good price? I am looking for a SE Model, but they sent me a quote for a GSL one. Thanks for any input.

Per your request, this is a quote for a 2009 Hyundai Elantra GLS w/ Popular Equipment Pkg.

MSRP 17840
    Invoice 17035
    Your Internet Net Price 14035!! (before TTL)
  • jfritschjfritsch Posts: 958
    This would be great if:

1) The 08 trade in value of the same elantra wasn't barely $10000.
    2) The Pontiac G6 well equipped around the country wasn't going for $13000 or less
    3) The Kia Spectra and possibly Optima similarly equipped may be sellling for $11000 (check those forums and your local dealers)
    4) At least one SE elantra quote on this forum wasn't in the low 14000's.
    5) The Hyundai Sonata auto around the country didn't frequently sell in the $14000s this time of year.

good luck
    --jjf

I just got the following quote from a local dealer in Orange county, CA.

Is this a good price? I am looking for a SE Model, but they sent me a quote for a GSL one. Thanks for any input.

Per your request, this is a quote for a 2009 Hyundai Elantra GLS w/ Popular Equipment Pkg.

MSRP 17840
    Invoice 17035
    Your Internet Net Price 14035!! (before TTL)
  • bob225bob225 Posts: 46
    If you can get a G6 with abs, traction control, sunroof, heated seats and upgraded wheels for $13k please let me know where, because that is a better deal than the Elantra SE I am looking at.
    Was that $14,035 OTD (Out the Door-including fees, taxes), You can negotiate. May 30, able to negotiate 14,500 OTD from several dealers for this model elantra GLS 2009.

Please let me know. Bargain hard & stay firm...
  • ktv1969ktv1969 Posts: 9
    Unfortunately, the quoted price of $14, 035 is before Taxes, Title, and License fees. The quoted price only includes the destination fee, which is charged on every car.

I think you got a great deal. Can you tell me where you got that deal? I think $14, 500 or so is a good deal for OTD for Elantra GSE. At least, that is what I think. Does anyone think otherwise? Thanks for any info.
    OTD means out the door, that is the final price for car, taxes, fees....have a car salesman calling with a$14,200 in the NYC area.
  • csi007csi007 Posts: 26
    Very close to pulling the trigger on a 2009 Elantra Touring with the following:

Sport Package
    Bluetooth (Don't really want or need it)
    Floor Mats

For $17,406 + Tax, Tags and Title.
  • chinattachinatta Posts: 3
    $14,200 is a low-ball price. or you have to choose finance.

I have been looking for a 2009 elantra GLS with popular package for more than 2 weeks. The best deal is 15000, which is cash price. For finance price, I have been offered to 14000. For sure I rejected because my credit history is only 3 years long.