Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hyundai Elantra Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• scdelanscdelan Posts: 10
    jfritsch, your bias against Hyundai/Kia cars is quite evident.

I've looked at your other posts and a lot seem to just bash Hyundais for losing their value after 1 year. Quote just to illustrate from the Malibu forum:

If one pays the normal $20000 for a 27000msrp 09 Hyundai Sonata limited, it is not worth getting excited about 7000 off msrp, as the 08 Sonata has a trade in value of $11000. (if that)

In this example, one (many on the Sonata forum) has paid $9000 to drive a average sedan the 1st 12 months. This is whether you drive the car 1year or 10 years. One may also be paying finance charges on the 9000 for 5 years and be instantly underwater. Many are paying $6000 to drive the $20000 msrp Gls for 12 mo. $4000 off msrp here no great shakes.

Alright, let's play your game. First off, your numbers are wrong. An 08 Sonata Limited will fetch around $13k from a dealer trade in with 10k miles. A GLS will fetch around $11k. That's a $7k depreciation from the Limited and a $4-5k depreciation from the GLS.

Now this is a large depreciation - I will admit that. However, this is under the absolutely absurd assumption that you WILL trade in the car after one year. Who in their right mind would do that? Most people purchase a car to use it, not give it back after a year. If you keep the car for a longer period of time, you'll see the depreciation amounts begin to become closer.

Furthermore, this assumes that the cars your comparing are equal when they're absolutely not. Compare the Sonata to the Mazda3 and tell me you're getting the same features? Power seats, trunk space, safety, etc. You get MORE features for LESS money buying a Hyundai. That's something you can't factor into depreciation numbers.

Oh, and let's not forget the warranties here. Those Mazdas and Toyotas you seem to push only have 3/5 year warranties. Good luck with maintenance costs after that. Sure they could be reliable cars - that still doesn't mean they won't break and incur hundreds or thousands of dollars in repair costs. With Hyundais it's a non-issue. The warranty also makes a good selling point if you ever did want to sell it.

Basically, what I'm trying to say here is that you're just trying to scare people away. For some people a Hyundai might be the right car for them. Why try to stretch the truth and convince them otherwise? If they're happy with the car let them buy it. If you want to be helpful then tell them if the deal they've been offered is a good deal now - not a year from now.

Sorry all for getting off topic.
  • csi007csi007 Posts: 26
    This especially holds true for people like myself who like to drive their vehicles into the ground. ;) I couldn't give a crap about the resale value. If I was planning on selling the vehicle after a year or two I would certainly take this into consideration.

I sat in a Rav4 because I thought it would fit my needs the best. Once I test drove it I realized that I would not be happy with the vehicle. I sat in the Elantra Touring and it felt perfect for me from the start. Why on earth would I want the Rav4 that I really didn't care for? Why drive it around and be unhappy with it knowing I paid more for less vehicle?
  • marlenelinmarlenelin Posts: 87
    I think that is quite high. I traded in my 2004 Toyota Sienna Ltd and got $13,000 for it. I paid an additional 3,050 for a Touring with mats and wheel locks OTD. Mine does not have the Sport Package I got a price from another dealer w/o my trade of $16400 OTD.
    18235 on your OTD price if you added the sport package and the bluetooth. Mine would be about 18500 with tax etc. Not too far off. What part of the country are you in?

Edit: Edmunds TMV price with the options listed above is 18111. My price is a little over 800 less.
  • bhmr59bhmr59 Posts: 1,598
    He further cooked the numbers by comparing an '08 Sonata Limited (6 cyl?) with an MSRP of $24,170 to an '09 Sonata Limited (6 cyl?) with an MRSP of $26,550.

The '09 was a model year "refresh" and included more standard equipment, features which had been optional in '08.
  • ktv1969ktv1969 Posts: 9
    Can someone tell me if this is a good price for a 2009 SE Sentra

2009 Hyundai Elantra SE

M.S.R.P. 18,935

Invoice $18,318

Hold back $547

Internet discount $200

Your price $14,571 Plus tax and fees

This is what the dealer said that comes with this deal:

This Is an 2009 Hyundai Elantra SE Carbon Gray on gray automatic .This is the mid range model. this has 16' allow wheels am/fm/cd/sat/aux , AC, cruise, 6 air bags, traction control, additional items from factory are carpeted floor mats and bluetooth. There are many other features this vehicles has that I have not stated.

Thanks for any suggestions/input.
    I'm in central NJ. The wheel locks and mats are worth about $200. I assume yours has them as well. I received the price without the trade from Towne Hyundai's internet dept. They are in Denville, NJ. You might ask them for a quote and take it to your dealer. My quote included the 1500 rebate from Hyundai. I was able to negotiate Brad Benson Hyundai down lower, but I wouldn't go to them unless you are ready to walk out with a car. They are extremely high pressure and take your license and make you sign a form when you come in that you will definitely buy during that visit if the price is right. Towne Hyundai seemed much more honest.
    How much is the sport package and bluetooth? My OTD price was $16,050 without the sport package and blue tooth but with mats and wheel locks. Of course, my tax was less than yours will be since I paid tax only on the $3,050 because of my trade. I do love the touring thus far. I just hit 1,000 miles this morning. My husband is disappointed in the gas mileage. I am getting between 24 and 25 mpg around town, and he was hoping for more. It's alot better than the 17 mpg I was getting with my Sienna though. My friend just purchased a 2008 Prius and is getting 50 mpg around town.
    The invoice price of the sport model with bluetooth is $20405. This car does not have the wheel locks but does have mats.

The mileage sounds kind of low. What does "around town" mean to you? I would hope to get at least 27 to 30 with the kind of driving I do which consists mostly of rural roads and highway.
    The MSRP tag price of my touring was $19,475. Around town for me is 6 to 7 mile drives in heavy traffic during rush hour, and rural roads the rest of the time. Have done just a little highway driving.
    That mileage does not sound too bad for the conditions then. How much your commute is rural roads?
    Most of my commute is rural roads, but often I can't go over 30 mph and many times it is stop and go traffic. Just depends on the day.
    Yeah, that would kill your gas mileage so I am not surprised with what you are getting but look on the bright side, you still have about 9k more miles of break-in to go so your mileage will likely improve. And of course you are getting above the EPA rating of 23 city. :)
  • Hi all.
    I am looking forward to buying an Elantra w/popular package in Maryland. I was offered to purchase the vehicle at $12,702 + 695 (freight) = 13,397.
    I guess they really want to earn my business by not charging me its processing fee of 99. What you all think??

Ourisman in Laurel
    The price given is before taxes, registration, etc...
  • 4elantra4elantra Posts: 10
    Is this the complete price. If so let me know where in Md. How about taxes?
  • Maita *Hyundai* has gone out of business.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,890
    A reporter from a large newspaper is looking to speak to consumers who is considering purchasing a Hyundai or Kia or have purchased one this year. Please send your daytime phone number and the vehicle you own to ctalati@edmunds.com by Tuesday, June 30, 2009.

Thanks,
    Chintan
    Corporate Communications
    Edmunds.com

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• liznlizn Posts: 5
    Just bought a 2009 touring, automatic, with floor mats, I-Pod cable, and mud guards. With free oil changes, inspections, & tires for two years.
    $14,830 out the door. Taxes, registration, and fees were around $800 (I live in Virginia). :) So my price was at $14,000.
    Hope this helps anyone that's shopping.
  • Wow. You did get a great deal. I bought my first car and I don't think I did very well. I paid $16,000 plus taxes (4.1%) and registration for a 2009 Hyundai Elantra SE with Bluetooth and carpet mats. No other charges. No trade-in. I have a credit score of 809, but the best offer on the financing was 4.40%. I bought the car in Colorado where I live. It was actually the last silver SE car in the whole state, but the dealer didn't know that I really wanted that color. I just didn't realize how low you could go in negotiations until I read this site. I feel a little taken. :(
  • Hi Curious 31,

In Colorado, the dealer puts on temporary tags when you buy the car. I don't need to pay for tags and registration until I pick up the tags two months later. In Maryland, do they make you pay for the temporary tags when you buy the car? Or is that $237.00 for your tags and registration for the year? Thanks.
  • After the JD Power report yesterday on CNBC, I think the resale of the Hyundai Elantra SE has just gone way up. I don't know if you remember, but the resale value of a Honda use to be very poor in the US. It took years for their resale value to go up as their quality was established.
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,728
    Hyundai has gotten pretty good JD Power scores for several years now. It will take more than a good score in the IQS to bring the resale value of the Elantra SE "way up". I think other events such as the steady improvement in quality over the past ten years, favorable reviews by the likes of Edmunds.com and CR, and the long-term uptick in the price of gas will have more effect on the Elantra's resale value than a JD Power IQS survey. But it doesn't hurt. USA Today even featured a photo of the Elantra with its story on the IQS results.
  • That makes sense, Backy. Thanks for the insight.
  • jfritschjfritsch Posts: 958
    Good prices this time of year on new:

Sonata 09 gls auto msrp 20400 $14xxx

Elantra 09 gls auto(pkg) msrp 17500 $13xxx SE $14xxx Touring 14xxx

The 08 Sonata, Elantra gls or SE are all worth used about 10000-11000 trade-in, so those good prices are about what you would want.

The Kia counterparts of these cars (spectra, optima) may be selling for several thousand less and blue book used about $1000 less than the Hyundai's. May be worth checking out.

The used mkt for these cars has been soft for decades. This continues to be the case until evidence shows it has changed. Obviously better quality and higher sales can't hurt.

Good luck
    --jjf"
    The Kia counterparts of these cars (spectra, optima) may be selling for several thousand less...

Please let me know where I can buy a new 2009 Optima LX for several thousand less than $14xxx. I would buy one at that price in a second.
  • nairbsodnairbsod Posts: 8
    lizn --- I'm also in Virginia and looking at the Touring. That is a great price. What dealership was it?
  • sandman_6472sandman_6472 Coral Springs, FLPosts: 2,680
    That car doesn't exist...take everything that guys says with a grain of salt!

The Sandman :shades:

2014 Hyundai Tuscon SE/2005 Mazda 3s/2008 Hyundai Accent GLS/2009 Nissan Versa SL hatch

Which car?

(It helps when you use "Reply", so we know which message you are referring to. :) )
  • Thanks, jfritsch, but the Kia isn't rated as high as the Hyundai Elantra SE in Consumers Reports. So I think I'll stick with the SE. I do keep my cars till they die, by then the Hyundai will probably be like the Honda in resale. But, regardless, by then it won't be worth much no matter what type of car it is.... Though I must say, I sold my 12 year old car in 15 minutes on craigslist for $4,500. Never know....
    There is no Elantra Touring premium package..