Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subaru Forester vs Toyota RAV4

Comments

• ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    All indications are that yes, it will fit.

I did this with our 2002 Legacy - put a full size spare and removed the foam insert.

06 was just a face-lift, and the 05s had full size spares of the exact same size.

-juice
  • kavoomkavoom Posts: 181
    Yes on a full size spare.

It was designed for it and before the 06, they were full size. As part of my trade in deal on my 04, I got my full size spare from my 04 and put it in my 07.

One thing though. There are foam storage things that sit on the tire. They are different for the full size vs the mini spare. The advantage of the mini spare version is that you can store your protective cover in it. YOu can't with the full size spare version. YOu may need to order that piece or go hunting junked ones...
    On our Legacy I just left it void. I guess there is no such cover, since it never was made for a full sizer. But it's fine, it actually fills up the space just with the tire.

-juice
  • sidious6688sidious6688 Posts: 80
    I currently own a 2001 Forester "s" premium. The car has been the wisest car buy I've made. That said, I'm about to sell it and buy a Toyota RAV4. why? One reason: the rear leg room in the forester is pitiful. This has never been an issue until now, but rear facing car seats don't fit in the forester unless you put it in the middle with the car seat protruding between the 2 front seats. Add one more child, and you must be able to fit the car seat directly behind a front seat. To my knowledge all Subarus (not sure about Tribeca, but we hate minivans) suffer from this problem. This is disappointing as I'd buy another subaru in heartbeat, but for some reason they make three vehicles (Legacy, Forester, Outback) all pretty much the same size. Very frustrating.
  • caliberchiccaliberchic Posts: 402
    I've found this to be an issue in just about every SUV I've riden in or driven. Did you try the car seat in the RAV4? I always take my car seats along when test driving just to check for this very thing! Good thing is those rear facing seats are temporary!
    Tribeca's 2nd row slides fore/aft, like the RAV4.

The 3 row model has a release knob to let the 2nd row go back all the way - a total of 8". So it has room.

Once your kids are in boosters it won't matter, but I can understand why you'd be frustrated. The Forester is the only vehicle left in this class with a wheelbase under 100".

Having said that, the Impreza's new wheelbase is about 104" and I suspect the next Forester will be at least as big. They're in the last model year, so the design is dated and about to be replaced.
    I took the car seat with my to check out the RAV4, seat fits directly behind the seat with no issue. This is not surprising as it has 5 more inches in the back seat. Anyone know when the next generation Forester comes out? And if so, will it command a premium while its new? Sold my 2001 today - $8900. Thank you subaru Resale!
  • kate5000kate5000 Posts: 1,267
    2001 for $8900? wow! :surprise:

how many miles did you have on it?
    I had 90k miles. Keep in mind its the S premium version. I bought the vehicle new, had all records, serviced only at subaru dealers and kept it garaged. This was a private sale. After doing a great deal of research, I felt it was a fair price, especially considering excellent condition. Brand new brakes and clutch as well.
    I have 2001 S premium too (Auto), also serviced only at Subaru dealers and kept it garaged. It's silver color, very clean, has professionaly tinted windows. However, it got 167K miles on it :blush:

The bottom line, I'm advertising it for $6500 and only got a couple of calls and no shows so far. I'm dropping the price to $5900 come Friday.
    I'm selling my '98 for $5550 and got 2 calls already, plus I'm showing it to one potential buyer at lunch today.

I also have all the service records and receipts, plus a clean CARFAX report I got, MPG records, the works.

I'll be pretty impressed if I can get $5 grand for it, given I only paid $19k 9 years ago. :shades:
    any takers? Mine got sold for $5700.
    Yep, sold it about an hour ago. Got $5500 for it, not bad for a '98.

Price was $5550 but he made a typo, and I was not gonna fuss over $50.

I only have the Miata now, so we'll be using my wife's car a lot until I find something new. Still waiting for the 08 Tribeca to show up in dealers, so far we've only seen manufacturer's plates on those.

If I don't love it, I think I'm just gonna throw in the towel and get a minivan. :sick:
    what about the idea of getting a Forester for your wife? do you still need that large a vehicle like Tribeca?
    Yes, we need one people mover. It would be a trip/weekend car, and would NOT be used for commuting. So we can make compromises - city mileage is completely irrelevant, but highway comfort and ride and quietness are high priorites.

My wife has a Legacy now but she wants a new Forester. I told her hold up! It's my turn for a new car.

Plus, there will be a new Forester soon, and I'd prefer to wait for her to get one of those. :shades:
    I thought new Forester will be delayed until 2009 and then I'd personally hold off until at least 2nd model year...

do you have info that new Forester is due in 2008?
    Yes, and I confirmed it last night.

I spoke to a regional rep that was hosting a VIP event for Tribeca shoppers. I had registered on-line and they just sent me an invite. We checked out the 08s, which should be in dealers next week.

We also spoke about the new Forester. She said they are moving it up and will have it out by February 2008. I'm not sure if she means it'll debut at the Chicago show in February, as the Forester has twice in the past, but even then it should be in dealers before summer 2008.

My wife now wants to trade her Legacy in for a Forester automatic, but I'm going to make her wait to see the new models. Especially since I have to get my new car first. ;)
  • megamailmegamail Posts: 2
    Does anyone have any experience with using a 1999 forester automatic transmission to tow a utility trailer. I have an aluminum trailer 1360 GVWR. I want to drive from Vancouver BC, to Mexico next November. I won't have a big load on , mostly just bulky items. I am prepared to install a transmission cooler and mayber an extra cooling fan. I just don't know if this little car will just be working too hard. I don't want to kill the wee baby.
    I'v e heard that I should use synthetic oil, and I'm really looking for some help on whether I should try the rip...
    thanks so much
  • rochcomrochcom Posts: 247
    I have no personal experience with towing, but the 1999 is capable of pulling your load.

It is NOT a good idea to switch to fully synthetic oil in an older vehicle. The very slippery synthetics can leak past the seals and result in losing oil rapidly when under load. Foresters have somewhat of a problem with oil seal leaks and the synthetic may bring one on or make an existing one worse. Regular oil of the appropriate grade might be best and it would probably be a good idea to put in a fresh batch before leaving. Inspection of brakes, tires, hoses and belts would also be a good idea, as would making sure that all fluids have been changed when recommended and topped up before leaving.
    I bet that trailer is fairly light.

I took Bob's trailer (dry weight ~ 700 lbs) from DC to Ocean City with a few beds in it, and it was fine. Came back with some other furniture.

Gas mileage was terrible (17 or so mpg) but the vehicle towed it just fine.
  • p0926p0926 Posts: 4,423
    "Vancouver BC, to Mexico" - That's a long way to haul a trailer! The furthest I've towed anything was about 200 miles pulling a 5x8 U-Haul trailer loaded with furniture. The 2001 manual tranny Forester handled it okay but it will definitely put a BIG dent in your mpg. So your automatic transmission should do okay but adding a transmission cooler and an extra cooling fan would certainly be good insurance.

-Frank
  • thecatthecat Posts: 528
    Yep, use to pull one all the time with my (now my Ex's) 99' auto. You won't have any problems just allow extra space for braking distance.

If you look at a globe, you will note that your entire trip is downhill :)

- hutch
  • megamailmegamail Posts: 2
    thanks for that info. Even with a cooler and auxilary fan I'm worried that that distance and the heat will be too much for my wee subaru :sick:
    Hey Hutch, did you see I got a new Sienna? That means our cars have the same engine (again).

The 3.5l is nice, eh? Dual variable valve timing and Direct Injection, too. 2 weeks so far, 2 trips to the beach, and I'm averaging 24mpg. :shades:

We decided the Tribeca just wasn't big enough. 2 kids, a nanny, a dog, and the occasional car pool made my practical side choose a minivan.
  • thecatthecat Posts: 528
    AJ - Congrat's .. yeah it's a wonderful engine. I'm getting on average .. 27 highway. It's amazing. My neice bought a Sienna a few months ago. Great people mover.

I can't believe you left the Subie fold.

hutch
    Well, the bottom line was Subaru didn't offer a minivan.

The Tribeca was close, very close. The new 3.6l H6 is very nice and really makes it a lot more fun than the van.

But...remember I also have the Miata. So we were looking for a family/trip car. I was outvoted 3 to 1.

I think if I had to drive just one vehicle, I would have picked the Tribeca. It's smaller, more nimble, more fun around town. The van would feel clumsy in city traffic.

But I don't - I have the Miata to commute in the city. So getting a van was the practical choice for suburbs/highway driving only.

Don't tell anyone, but it's not so bad, I actually like it! :D

Drove to the beach and the wife sat in the back seat with the kids, watched The Sound of Music on a 12" DVD screen we had put in.

I had total peace and quiet the whole way. :shades:
  • rshollandrsholland Posts: 19,674
    Hutch, he's still got the Legacy wagon, so he's not Subie-free. :)

Bob
    And more than a few Subaru Bucks ready to be spent on (hopefully) the 2009 Forester when it arrives.

The changes to the 08 Impreza are very encouraging - longer wheelbase, ultra-compact rear suspension, and nicer interior. If the 09 Forester gets similar upgrades that's what will replace the Legacy.
  • I have heard a lot of people talk about how well the forester performs in the snow but how about in the mud and dirt.

I live in Texas and wont be seeing any snow; however, I will be crossing some mud, water, and unpaved roads. I am considering the 2007 Forester X.

Any experience with this car offroad?

by the way...this is my first post here, although I have been poking around for a few days. I have got lots of great info. so thanks!

Also...anyone know if a large size plastic kennel fits in the back of the forester with just one or none of the seats down?

Thanks again,
    Aaron
    I would take it with you to the dealer when you go for test drive. Nothing like an actual test fit.

The cargo area is nice and boxy, though, so unless you have a Great Dane I bet it will fit.

I was one of the few that took my Forester off pavement, and it was fine in the sand. Only did light trails, mostly farm roads and stuff like that, no boulder hopping.

I think as long as your expectations are realistic, it will do fine. The angle of approach is not that good - there is a long front overhang and your bumper may scrape if the terrain has lots of ups and downs.
This discussion has been closed.