Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subaru Forester vs Toyota RAV4

1252627282931»

Comments

• if I would be given a chance, I would definitely trade in my Rav 4 to for the forester. I just can't seem to understand why its new model is so noisy specially during on high speed while the past rav 4 that I was able to drive is comfy and speedy as well.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Consumers are demanding peak fuel efficiency right now and one way to obtain that is to remove as much weight as possible. Sound insulation is the first thing to go.
  • I've narrowed down my choices to either a Subaru Forester or a V6 Toyota RAV4 -- 08 in both cases. Consider my needs/wants//situation, which would you buy.

drive to work only 3 x a week, but 40+ mi (most 2 lane county/state roads) ea way
    want best gas mileage possible
    both kids away at college so we primarily use the front seats
    must be able to tow a small camper (minimum or 2500 towing capacity)
    drive quite a bit on rural & gravel roads
    ice/snow a few months out of the year; live in southeast Missouri, so need either
    awd or 4wd capability
    would love a hybrid or something like that, but . . .

Of course, that's my wish list, and I know nothing is going to meet that perfectly. That said, though, which would you buy. We're going shopping next week. Dh hates to car shop and wants the whole experience to go quickly as he recently had surgery and doesn't feel up to a really long day (and the decision is up to me because it will be my vehicle). I really appreciate all your help.
  • xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,268
    Well, I would say Forester without a second thought save for the small camper towing requirement. I think 2500# is above the manufacturer rating for the Forester, so if you are doing that regularly, then it probably would not fit the bill. I might be wrong though... anybody else?
  • p0926p0926 Posts: 4,423
    I agree that the towing capacity is you biggest potential issue with the Forester. Subaru is very conservative in their tow ratings so you'd probably be okay but it depends on how often, how far and how hilly you''re talking about along with how experienced you are at towing.

-Frank
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Exactly how much does that camper weigh? 2400 lbs is the stated towing capacity for the Forester.

The V6 would be better for that, but you also mention fuel economy as a priority, so those are contradictory needs/wants.

You also mention ice and snow so go for AWD, and again you take a small penalty in fuel economy.
This discussion has been closed.