Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda CR-V Owners Meet the Members

Comments

• varmintvarmint Posts: 6,326
    Enjoy the forums.

Bob5 - I'm in the Boston suburbs. Depending on how obsessive you get, you might find the local Honda SUV events entertaining. The Honda SUV Olympics is the one that I organize. It probably won't happen this year, but next year is a good bet.
  • bob05bob05 Posts: 27
    Thanks Varmint,

I may just take you up on the Olympics...I'll watch.

At some point I may ask about quality of service around Boston. I got mine at the large-volume dealer in Burlington, and I didn't enjoy the sales experience...that pesky dealer processing fee....but that's no guide to service, and the latter have been good to me in other ways.

Anyhow, I'm enjoying these first 40F+ days in Boston...vacuumed out Honda Bob last Friday.

Bob
    These are the guys who work on my CR-V and my wife's Acura.

http://www.mymastermechanic.com/
  • ANyone know where I can get some snow chains for my CRV? the tires are 205-70-R15's and I have not been able to find any one who makes chains in this size. I've been to Kragen's (i live in N. California) and several websites. Zip, Zilch, Zero.

Any help would be great!
    At the risk of stating the obvious... Have you tried looking for "cables", rather than chains? I know of an owner in CT who purchased cables for a 2003 model. Sorry, I don't know where she got them. :-(
  • bigeauxbigeaux Posts: 46
    Bought a 2005 LX FWD last night. Sahara sand metallic exterior, ivory interior with after-market leather, roof rack cross bars, and wheel locks.

VITAL STATS:

Me: Engineer
    Wife: Law student
    Other car: 99 Civic LX
    CR-V's name: don't have one yet
    Kids: none
    pets: two cats, one 58 lb boxer mix, one fish

What we like about the CR-V:

It's the best value we found in the small SUV market for our needs. It's spacious, has lots of storage, and comfortably seats five. But it still fits well in an urban environment without off-street parking. The gas mileage is good for the class. The acceleration, braking, and handling are all pretty decent. The standard safety feautures are hard to match for the price in class. We love the Honda reliability and resale value.

Honestly, I think the perfect vehicle for us would have the CR-V space and layout, the Forrester's performance and fuel economy, the Equinox's clever cargo area shelf, and the Hyundai warranty. When someone puts that on the market for what I just paid, I'll buy two.

Until then, the CR-V is the best fit.

Thanks to everyone who has been posting all the useful info here at Edmunds, and elsewhere. It's been very useful to us as we made our decision.

Looking forward to many happy years on the road in our CR-V.
  • bob05bob05 Posts: 27
    Congratulations. You'll love the car. Sounds like you got a great deal too...read over on the buying board.

I can't remember what msrp/invoice on the cross-bars is....did you compare to after market?

Have fun with it.

Bob
  • bigeauxbigeaux Posts: 46
    Invoice on the cross bars is $240. MSRP is $262 + installation. Got quotes as high as $337 installed.
  • stevedebistevedebi LAPosts: 3,719
    I got cables for my 2003 CR-V ... from the Toyota dealer!
  • bettyabettya Posts: 2
    I am hoping that someone in this Forum can help with this problem. I have a 2003 CRV (automatic) which intermittently jams or gets stuck when shifting gears. It will be fine for 2 months and then will not shift out of park or drive. It will then be ok again for weeks!!! It has been back to the Dealer four times. The first time, the dealership had the nerve to suggest that some women didn't know that the shift had to be pulled down to the left before the downward motion!!! The next time they replaced the whole shift mechanism. The last 2 times (the last of which I made them tow it from my driveway) they claimed nothing came out on tests and that they could not replicate the problem!!! Before resorting to legal action, I am asking all if anyone has heard of this...does anyone have advice? Thanks :( :(
  • kyfdx@Edmundskyfdx@Edmunds Posts: 25,898
    Well.. you may have a problem I can't diagnose, but I'll have the nerve to make a suggestion...lol.

When you come to a stop, with your foot still on the brake, engage the parking brake, then (foot still on the brake), shift your car into park. When you release your foot from the brake, your car should not roll or move (even six inches).

When starting the car, put foot on brake, shift car into gear, then release parking brake..

This keeps the transmission from doing the job that the parking brake is intended for...

This might help.. if it doesn't, then there may truly be something else wrong with your transmission or shifter.

regards,
    kyfdx

Moderator - Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• bettyabettya Posts: 2
    Thank you for your reply--I have tried doing essentially what you suggest--still a problem. This am, I started car and it would not shift out of Park. Yesterday, things were perfect. Honda denies a transmission problem !! Regards, bettya :cry:
  • Hello... Vootrunner here which I borrowed from the Johanan Vasquez's cartoon "Invader Zim". Actually that is my 2001 Kia Rio, but this is for my newly purchased 4/23/05 Honda CRV EX 4WD for my wife. I am new to forums so you may have to direct me a bit.. I appreciate the help in advance. ;)

It is almost 24 hours since we drove off the lot and the XM "ready" radio is kind of bumming me out. It appears from wandering around the net tonite that not only is this XM "NOT ready", but if I want to use the existing CD 6 disc in dash system, I have to get Honda to put the system in? Tell me that this is not true.. If so, my naivete is once again at play. And $600-700 for that installation? I knew I was forgetting something in my dealing for a lower price.... :cry:

looking for advice, sympathy, anything to put my mind at ease... I didn't really care if it came with XM or not, but my wife was kind of hoping for it... :D

ON a positive note.. tell me I made the right purchase instead of the Kia Sportage.

thanks
  • theracoontheracoon Posts: 666
    the XM "ready" radio is kind of bumming me out.

There have been a lot of comments and discussion about this. Honda's XM receiver is over priced, but it has the elegance of operating through the headunit so that you don't have an add on module hanging on your dash.

There are other options. There's at least one company making a wiring adapter for the Honda headunit that will allow you to add auxiliary inputs so that you can attach a more reasonably priced XM or Sirius receiver. Of course then you'd have to find a place to mount the receiver so you can see it's display.

tell me I made the right purchase instead of the Kia Sportage.

You made the right purchase decision. While the Sportage is very attractive in terms of price and features, it's still a Kia. Their reliability is starting to improve, but they're still not up to the standard of American made vehicles, let alone in the same class as Honda or Toyota. I'm sure you'll enjoy your CR-V for many years to come.
  • jsalzjsalz Posts: 28
    How many keys(remote and regular) did you guys get with your CR-V??? Does anyone know how much a remote key costs from the dealership? Thanks!
  • mafernamaferna Posts: 83
    You should get three, as the owner's manual says.
    Two remotes and one valet key.
  • jsalzjsalz Posts: 28
    Thanks a lot. I think the dealer is trying to pull a fast one on me. Glad to know it says it in the owner's manual.
  • I appreciate both comments on the XM head unit and the decision on buying the CRV as opposed to the Sportage... :)

I think I am going for the head unit and accessory package which will run me about $330 and have Best Buy or Circuit City install it.. After investigating other boards.. purchasing from Honda and installing it there will run me from $600 to $1000. And yes .. with the on the wheel audio controls.. and everything else already installed, it appears to be the only intelligent way to put the XM into the vehicle. :D

thanks again
  • dcontarddcontard Posts: 3
    Hi Folks,

I just returned from a honda dealer to purchase the CR-V EX for my wife as a second auto. I walked out of the dealership with a total price of $22,517 for the 2005 model.

Question?

I did not sign any financing arrangements nor was I offered to purchase an extended warranty, :confuse: I will pick-up the auto in 2 days. Does any know if at that time Honda will pressure me into purchasing extended warranties, accessories, etc.

Any info would help, as I just feel the "other shoe is about to drop"
    Thanks
  • red927red927 Posts: 118
    You will probably be asked by the Finance Department/Salesperson when you pick up the car. That's the way it worked for me on Saturday when I got my 05 CR-V. If you aren't interested in the extended warranty, just decline it and have them move on to the next subject. As far as financing goes, it is helpful to have a back-up plan in case their terms are not acceptable. I applied to HSBC Auto Finance online and was approved for 5.25% for up to 60 months in a matter of minutes. The sent the blank check by overnight mail and I had it the next morning.

The price you paid, did that include sales tax? I paid $22,267 plus tax in New Jersey on Saturday.

Phil
This discussion has been closed.