Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda CR-V Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• biblerbibler Posts: 2
    I don't know how to distinguish English made or Japan made. VIN does start with JHLR......
  • neoscrvneoscrv Posts: 5
    The (2) 1st characters of all VIN numbers on all cars identify the country of manufacturer. JA-JO represents Japan....SA-SM represents United Kingdom...Then United States has 1A-10. Go here to see the whole world= http://www.angelfire.com/ca/TORONTO/VIN/WMI.html#ccode
  • jfigueroa1jfigueroa1 Posts: 209
    I know that many of you change your own oil on the cr-v, I went to the dealer to purchase the oil filter for my 02 civic and 02 cr-v and the dude in the part department gave me this oil filter that it is smaller than the one that I am replacing he also stated that is the same one for both cars. Any input on the matter? if possible could you response with part # you had used before (oil filter).
    Greetings from sunny Miami.
  • yeah, I could use it, but I just switched to a new carrier and I don't want them to jump the rates. I can get it done (replaced) for 250 bucks. Insurance has a 50 dollar deductable, but the rate increase... I will wait to use insurance until I have something catastrophic like a break in or a smasked rear window.
  • inkieinkie Posts: 281
    I am not familiar with the civic but the part # for the '02 CRV Honda oil filter is: 15400 PLM A02. These are now made by Fram the previous ones were made by Filtech. I personally am going to switch to WIX or Purolator One because the Fram filters are made cheaply. If you change your oil around 5000 or less it probably won't matter. Check out WWW.bobistheoilguy.com for advice on oil filters.
    Instead of "greetings from sunny miami" send me some of those great oranges.
  • nycajunnycajun Posts: 3
    Does anybody know the rpm range for a 2003 CRV 5spd manual??? At 65mph the rpm is at 3000. At 75mph the rpm is at 3500, and of course this is in 5th gear. I believe a 2003 with auto transmission at 75mph runs at 2900rpm. It seems as though the 5spd manual transmissions run at about 500 - 600rpm higher than the automatics. Idle rpm is fine at 650 to 750. I also have a 98 Accord with a 5spd and at 75mph the rpm is about 2800. I know the gearing in the transmissions is probably different but I dont know why. Higher rpm translates into poor fuel efficiency. Also if on a long trip or over the course of many years wouldn't higher rpms be a cause for more or sooner wear of various engine components??? I love my CRV but I dont like seeing the rpm so high between 60 and 75 mph.
  • jbolltjbollt Posts: 734
    We experince the same thing in our 2001 Civic EX 5 spd. Makes the highway mileage actually lower than around town, as we are very good at keeping rpms low around town. But on the hwy here (in AZ) we are at 80 mph or get run over. speed lmit is 75. we get 36-37 in town, and 32 highway. also car is louder/buzzier at higher rpm, so we won't be using the civic for many road trips. We figured the name "civic" means it is designed to be use in the city. LOL

Also, don't remember what RPM the vtech comes in, but that also causes more fuel usage
  • 401356401356 Posts: 2
    I've had my 2003 crv - exl for 5 months. I have a metallic sounding rattle which happens on rough roads - especially if the passenger side tires are hitting the rough spots. There are no apparent rattles in the doors or post. It sounded like it was in the post, but I just finished taking that all apart and drove on the same rough road- the sound is still there. The next step is the rear door panel. It sounds like it might be metal flexing. I tried silicone on all the door seals and checked for loose nuts and wiring. The Honda dealer noticed the noise, but couldn't find anything. I hate rattles with a passion and this one is driving me bonkers. Any similar occurrences and if so any suggestions?

Also, I replaced those hateful Bridgestone Duellers (70 series) with Michelins (75's). Not only do they look much better, but they ride much better and quieter.
  • I purchased a 2002 CR-V EX in August, 2002. Since then, I have only put 7500 miles on the vehicle. About a week ago, I was driving down the freeway and the steering wheel got the "speed wobbles" like you would have on a motorcycle; the wheel started vibrating left and right like something was going to rattle apart. I immediately exited the freeway with my hazard lights on and by the time I turned around, the shaking was gone. I went straight to the tire shop and they checked the balance of the tires; there was nothing wrong. About 2 days later my wife had the same thing happen to her; the steering went crazy for 15 seconds or so. Obviously I am going to take it to the dealer but I would like to know if this has happened to anyone else out there. I have owned every American car and truck made; I have also owned Honda's and Toyota's and I have never had any of them do this before. My concern is that the Honda dealers in my city will have no idea what to look for. If this steering problem has happened to anyone out there; please send me a message and tell me what it was so that I can tell the service manager where to start looking.

Thanks.

E.O. 588
  • bajie2bajie2 Posts: 18
    My 2002 CRV has had the same problem for half an year already. I asked the similar question here in the past.

I experience this trembling problem on daily base.
    It only happens when the speed is arond 65mph on
    seeming likly certain pavements. The trembling is so obvious that you are almost afraid the steering wheel will fall off.

I am not going to risk my life any more and will call the dealer today. They once said it could be the tire pressure, but mine only has 28PSI.

tkehegemon, or anyone who has the similar steering problem, please keep us updated about your experience with the dealership.
  • icvciicvci Posts: 1,031
    Is there any possibility that you were driving in a lane with ruts in it from trucks? Seriously, if you drive on roads where there is considerable truck traffic the shape of the road can be effected. I've noticed this while driving in the right two lanes on many Michigan freeways. If you hit the lanes just wrong, it will feel like your car is pulling all over the place.
    No, icvci, it's just regular road. Interestingly,
    most of the roads as far as i can tell are relatively new pavement. And the trembling problem also love to happen on the road has
    slight downward slope. It never happens on an upward slope.
  • scnamescname Posts: 296
    Could be brake problem. Warped disks, grabbing calipers.
    This doesn't look like the brake problem because
    i never feel steering trembling when i step on the brake pedal.
    Just called the dealership and told it could be wheel alignment issue.
    Seems like it could be a camber problem.

Toe in wheels look like this / \

Toe out they look like this \ /

Maybe toe out would cause the problem? Not an expert in the field by any means but, it seems logical.
    icvci, or anyone who could answer,

What could be the damage done to the car since i have drived under this condition for almost half
    a year?

feeling bad now.
    I'd think it would just damage your tires. (premature wear)
  • raydahsraydahs Posts: 449
    related to tire balancing. Like others mention, I'm certainly no expert, but I've had similar issues with my Trooper ever since I put after market wheels on it. At 45 to 55 mph, I get the "shimmy" as some of you have referred to. I tried a machine which is found mostly at your local Lexus dealers, called the Hunter GSP9700. It balances your wheel with a 1000lb. load applied to it, simulating real driving conditions. It cost me about $10.00 a wheel, and well worth it. Check out the link, find a shop and give it a try.....hope this helps out.

http://www.hunter.com/pub/product/product.htm
  • jas28jas28 Posts: 50
    My radio on my 02 V EX started to change stations spontaneously this past winter (by changing the frequency in increments of 0.1). The dealer replaced the radio and this solved the problem, until yesterday. It's happened 3 times now in the past 24 hours. It's not an electrical connection - it happened while I was idling in a flat parking lot. Has anybody else seen this? Is the 02 V plagued with gremlins, or am I just unlucky and managed to get two bad radios?
  • provost1provost1 Posts: 4
    1998 CR-V LX 4wd. 55k miles. Wifes car. Very well taken care of. Driven off paved roads once or twice a year to camp/fish. Mild climate, very seldom snows, occasional ice. No dealer for me....I go to highly regarded local Honda/Acura Specialty shop....Still on original Bstone Deuler ht's

Now that the background is established, here is the question: Will need new rubber in 5k or less...As you may be aware, the CR-V is not a quiet rig at highway speed. This seems to be worse in our state where the highway dept uses largeish aggregate in their paving mix (nearby states that have "blacktop" or "smoother" roads are much better but the thing is still pretty loud). Is there such a thing as a quieter tire? I know Bstone has a technology called "5 degree noise reduction" but I hesitate to spring for unverified bells and whistles. Any ideas? I know it will never whisper like an Oldsmobile but even a 10% noise reduction would be worth a little extra Jang!
    www.tirerack.com

After you input your vehicle they'll give you a list of tires as options. Most have customer comments and a satisfaction survey on them and, some will be from CR-V drivers.
    and to lots of other tire sites. I was kinda hoping for some specific suggestions regarding tire make and model from others who have addressed the CR-V road noise problem. I forgot to mention in my original post that a friend swears that upgrading the stock wheels to Alloys will make a difference too. I guess I'd like input on that too since wheels are about a G for decent ones. Thanks for the link though...
  • sluglineslugline Posts: 391
    Switching from steel wheels to alloys will reduce what is known as "unsprung weight," which should help with performance, but the idea that they also reduce noise is new to me.

As for specific recommendations: I replaced my Bridgeston Dueler H/Ts with Dueler H/Ls 23,000 miles ago and have been very satisfied with every category that matters to me: noise, wet and dry traction and handling. And I can't help but conclude that you must be less demanding on your tires than I am because we have virtually the same mileage on our CR-Vs; my original tires were worn out by 30k-mi!
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 28,743
    Alloy wheels helping road noise? Don't think so, but they will make it handle and look better. Before I bought aftermarket, I'd just look for used EX wheels. There should be plenty, as five of them came on each one, and I know of at least one '98 EX thats been totaled. (LOL) If you only buy new, check out college hills honda. I would imagine around $600 for a full set. They have a website.
    If the noise really bothers you, I don't think any tire will really make you happy from that standpoint, because the high noise level is mostly from very little sound deadening insulation, in an effort to keep the weight down, on an underpowered vehicle. That said, all tires in the CRV stock size are actually passenger car tires, and not truck tires. On tire rack, concentrate on models that people are putting on sedans like Accords and Camrys. A good Michelin or Bridgestone grand touring all-season tire will probably be your most quiet choice, without any sacrifice in wet or snow. The tradeoff is they are probably $30-40 more than the Bridgestone or BFGoodrich that come on most CRVs.

Sorry for the long post..hope this helps

kyfdx

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• nycajunnycajun Posts: 3
    Does anybody know the rpm range for a 2003 CRV 5spd manual??? At 65mph the rpm is at 3000. At 75mph the rpm is at 3500, and of course this is in 5th gear. I believe a 2003 with auto transmission at 75mph runs at 2900rpm. It seems as though the 5spd manual transmissions run at about 500 - 600rpm higher than the automatics. Idle rpm is fine at 650 to 750. I also have a 98 Accord with a 5spd and at 75mph the rpm is about 2800. I know the gearing in the transmissions is probably different but I dont know why. Higher rpm translates into poor fuel efficiency. Also if on a long trip or over the course of many years wouldn't higher rpms be a cause for more or sooner wear of various engine components??? I love my CRV but I dont like seeing the rpm so high between 60 and 75 mph.
  • sluglineslugline Posts: 391
    nycajun: Your observations are all correct. The 5-speed is almost certainly geared towards acceleration above all else. If lower cruising rpms and higher fuel efficiency are high priorities, I would recommend choosing the automatic.
    Thanks folks, I thought the wheel thing might have been BS. I'll probably go with Michelins. Yep Slugline, probably 90% of that 55k is freeway and I rotate and check pressure like the anal retentive geek that I am ;-) My goal is at least 200k before the car becomes more trouble than it's worth. Wish me luck
  • varmintvarmint Posts: 6,326
    Provost - You might also try purchasing sound dampening material like Dynamat or any of the other brands. They do have a spray-on paste that coats the wheel wells and will supposedly reduce road noise.

I have sheets of Dynamat under the floor and in the doors of my '99 CR-V. It did muffle road noise. However, if I were to do it again, I'd pay more attention to the engine noise (which should not be as big a problem with the new models).

Alloy rims may or may not reduce road noise. It depends on many factors. Changing the size of the rim is one way to reduce road noise, but this is one of those situations where bigger is not always better. Rubber is generally better vibration insulation than metal.

Nycajun - If you don't like the idea of having the engine rev at 3,500 at highway speeds, downshift to 4th and run it at 4,500 rpms. =) Seriously, the high rpms are not a problem. If it helps, Acura uses a version of the same 2.4L block that is good for 7,100 rpms.
  • mikeydanmikeydan Posts: 1
    Bought my CRV two months ago, very versatile vehicle, so far like it pretty much. Have noticed that the roof ( I have the EX with the sunroof ) has a persistant rattle on all but the smoothest roads. Thought it might have something to do with the roof not being stable, it's driving me nuts. Also, a clunking sound seems to come from the rear when shifting (auto trans)..am taking it to the dealer tomorrow. Anyone else experience any of this? Lastly, I can only seem to get about 280 miles from a tank (mostly freeway) which is less than on my V6 Accord.
    Thoughts?