Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda CR-V Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• bob05bob05 Posts: 27
    What an excellent post Stevedebi;

If everybody drives their CRV this way, they are likely to get 22 mpg in the city. I learned to drive this way from my second car --a Prius hybrid--and then applied it back to the 05 CRV with this result:

Jan-April 1, 05: very cold New England Winter with lots of defrosting and heating: average = 22.8 mpg.

Since April 1: 24.6 mpg.

This is almost totally inter-suburban commuting at about 35 mph, with a gaggle of very short trips (soccer, groceries) on weekends. Part of every other tank (so perhaps 25%) is at highway speeds.

The only thing I would add to Stevedebi's excellent advice is something I learned from the hybrid: we waste a ton of gas driving up to stoplights and signs. I use the "football field" approach: since I know my route, I watch 100 yards ahead. If there is a red light, I simply coast --why spend money to get to a stop? As Stevedebi points out, you then have to spend money to re-accelerate. If I see it turn green at 50 yards or even as I approach the "red zone" (sorry), then I go back to the gas...but I still have some momentum on my side. And I think Stevedebi is right that "brisk" acceleration will gain you some momentum, and then you switch to a smooth drive at RPM's under 2000. The investment in acceleration will gain you momentum and mileage so long as you smooth it out after 35mph.

One other thing: in the suburbs: why not coast down hills, especially if there is a stop sign or light at the end?

The numbers above speak pretty clearly: 22.8 in a dead cold winter is pretty good. And I don't have any trouble with traffic. These are 30 or 35 mph zones, with local cops always setting speed traps at commuting time to catch those at 40 or above. So I am saving on speeding tickets too.

Anyhow, Stevedebi has it down. I would almost think he has a hybrid too.
  • fboydonfboydon Posts: 2
    Hi,

I had this same problem on my 2002 CR-V. I only notice this I had my car serviced for brake pads. I had to go back twice to the dealer for them to look at it. And on my second visit I told them it happens only when turning hard left/u turn. Where do you think can I get TSB and what is TSB anyway. The technician told me He already recall he had this problem before but Hes not sure if my car will still be under warranty since I already got 61kmiles on it. Is TSB same as a recall?

Just want to find out if I am going to pay for something that's Honda's issue...

Thanks,
    Ferdee
  • lblairlblair Posts: 11
    We got our CR-V right after Christmas, and love it.Traded our gas-hog Land Rover Disco. Everything was going fine until about a month ago. Got in it one morning , turned the key.. and "click" was all I got. Did it 3 more times and then it started right up. Hmm? I thought I did something wrong. Never mentioned it to my husband. A week later we were going out in it together and it did it to him. He then told me it had happened a few times to him at work, when he went out to lunch or when he stopped for gas. So it wasn't me. I called the dealer and then said bring it in and leave it. They don't have loaners, which is a total drag. The dealer is 40 miles away. They couldn't take it for a few days, so when it didn't happen again, I cancelled the appt. A week went by, all was fine. Last week was the topper.. I was on my way out of town to meet up with a friend. I was gassing up and "click" EIGHT times. I was just about to call a tow truck and it started. Someone on another forum said it could be because I have other keys on my key ring, but my husband doesn't have anything, just the Honda key. The green key light doesn't flash or anything. It's steady. How likely is it that we both have defective keys? What the heck else could it be? I must say I am really disappointed in this vehicle. it's brand new. It was a bit humiliating sitting there with my friend as a passenger. She had bought a Ford Escape at the same time we got the Honda.She says "I told you you should have gotten the Escape". I don't like Fords, and told her I would never own an American car, that Honda was more reliable. Now I look pretty stupid.. thanks to Honda
    I suppose it will have to go to the dealer, but I don't see how they can reproduce the problem. Both my husband and I have tried and it only does it randomly. Any ideas?
    Thanks for bearing with me!
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 27,613
    TSB
    Technical Service Bulletin..

I don't have the actual reference number.. The service advisor can pull it up on the internet.. My service advisor had never heard of the problem, but that is what he did, and he had no trouble finding it..

I doubt you will get it done under warranty, and it is not the same as a recall.. I think it was a transmission mount.. they loosen it, then shove it over about a half-inch, then tighten it back down.. I didn't pay for it, but it is only a half-hour of labor, which is $36 at my dealer.. They weren't positive that was the problem, but since they couldn't find any other problem, they assumed that was it, and it did solve the problem.. For $36, it can't hurt to find out.. It sounds more than minor, but it really isn't.... very simple fix..

regards,
    kyfdx

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• mikefm58mikefm58 Posts: 2,882
    Outstanding.......

Kudos to the dealership, and maybe Honda regional twisted their arm a bit. Sure sounds like a complete turn around from when you picked it up.

I'm sure Honda regional "ripped em a new one" since they delivered a vehicle that wasn't prep'ed.
  • fboydonfboydon Posts: 2
    kyfdx
    Thanks Men.
    I just found out the TSB number on the other site i think alldata.
    The technician who drove my car last week seems positive that it is in did the transmission mount problem, and yes he did say that he needs to loosen some nuts so that he can move the transmission/engine to the right...
    For those who have the same problem please refer to this TSB that I goe from alldata site.

TSB 04-005 Jan 04 Engine/Transmission Mount - Noise
    on Left Turns

Cheers,
    Ferdee
  • hitecprohitecpro Posts: 2
    I recently bought honda crv 02 from private owner and have question about climate control: it has 3 wheels to manipulate temperature inside the car, when I turn right wheel to the position "window" or "window/legs" a/c light goes on and can’t be turn off, aircondition starts working(check pipes under the hood-they getting cold), when I turn the wheel to other position for example “face/legs”, a/c button can be turn off/on. Is it how it supposes to work? Called service at local Honda, they said that’s how it works.
    I appreciate if someone check it and may be I have nothing to worry about.
  • defieldingdefielding Posts: 35
    lblair: before you get down on your vehicle the solution sounds like it could be very simple. It sounds like what happens when one or both of your battery cables are either a little loose or corroded. There will be enough electricity to run lights and things but often not a good enough connection for starting, thus will work sporadically. If you see any corrosion, clean the battery terminals with baking soda and water, (rubbing with a wire brush). Carefully tighten the bolts holding the cables to the battery terminals. Also follow the cable from the negative pole of the battery to where it connects to the vehicle (for grounding) and see if the bolt connecting it there is tight. If this is not the cause of the problem, then another possibility could be the starter motor brushes.
  • stevedebistevedebi LAPosts: 3,786
    " Anyhow, Stevedebi has it down. I would almost think he has a hybrid too."

Nope, I'm still paying for my CR-V, and the only one that would fit my needs is the Escape Hybrid, which I wouldn't buy in the first year anyway. Our other car is a Honda Civic (bought just before the HCH came out), and we need one of our two cars to have a large capacity for trips.

I learned my stuff from the Prius forum. I don't think I'll be able to match your 24.6; you have a 5 speed transmission in that '05, whereas I have the 4 speed.
    " I doubt you will get it done under warranty, and it is not the same as a recall.."

TSB is a safety fix, and should be covered by Honda at no cost to the consumer.
  • rockycow33rockycow33 Posts: 76
    The climate control is programmed as you describe from the factory. There is a way to reprogram the climate control so that the A/C can be turned off when in the window defrost position. Try this to deactivate auto a/c feature:
    1) Turn vehicle off
    2) Turn fan knob off
    3) Turn temperature knob all the way to the left (blue area)
    4) Turn vent knob counter clockwise to panel only setting (next to max a/c)
    5) Hold down both air recirculation button and a/c button while starting car
    6) Continue holding for 7 seconds until air recirculation button stops flashing

to reactivate:
    1) turn vehicle off
    2) turn fan know off
    3) turn temperature knob all the way to the left (blue area)
    4) turn vent know all the way to the right (defrost position)
    5) hold down both air recirculation button and a/c button while starting car.
    6) continue holding for 7 seconds until air recirculation button stops flashing

hope this works for you
    rockycow :)
    TSBs can be for many different things, not just safety... It isn't covered under warranty..

This works... I did it on my '02 CR-V.. Now, I have the choice of running the A/C compressor or not, when using the defroster..

It still comes on automatically when you use either of the defrost modes, but at least this way, you can push the button and turn it off.

regards,
    kyfdx

• bowled_overbowled_over Posts: 14
    I purchased a new Honda CR-V. The dealer tried to push the benefits of sthg called Auto Butler Vehicle Protection Program which includes applying 10 six monthly applications of paint sealant and fabriguard (no leather) over five year period for $800 upfront.

Based on previous owners experiences, do any of you use such a protection, is it really required and is it really good (value for $800)
  • lblairlblair Posts: 11
    defielding..
    The battery looks fine. The car is only a few months old. Had 4 miles on it when we took it from the dealership.
    I called 2 dealers to see if they had any ideas without having to take it in. (trying to avoid the long drive in 2 cars) Neither of them mentioned the key.
    It hasn't done it again since my first post.
    Thanks for trying :)
  • mikefm58mikefm58 Posts: 2,882
    Run, don't walk, away from that stuff. It's 99.999% dealer profit.
  • theracoontheracoon Posts: 666
    I also replied in the other thread you posted.

Save your money. Wash and wax your own car, and buy some ScotchGuard for the fabric if you're worried about protecting it.

JM2C
  • tntitantntitan Posts: 306
    One of the biggest ripoffs known to man. That should tell you quite a bit about your dealership.....find a honest mechanic or you will be taken advantage of over and over.
  • jams1jams1 Posts: 1
    Good Work Michelle!

It appears my wife's crv has the same problem. It was fixed once already @ 75,000 and now it needs to be done again at 133,000 miles.

Do you have any helpful hints or contact info. I would sure like to have honda pay for the fix!
    "
    TSBs can be for many different things, not just safety... It isn't covered under warranty.."

Ummm, I thought TSB stood for Transportation Safety Bulletin?