Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda CR-V Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• cwood1cwood1 Posts: 4
    The maintenance schedule in my 2001 CR-V Owners manual indicates that the valve clearances do not even need to be inspected until 105K miles and "adjust only if noisy" (see pg 202 and 204).

My valves were not noisy and my mileage is only 67K, and yet I am now having to have the head replaced because the valves were burned, seated too far into the cylinder head, had little or no compression in 2 cylinders and misfiring in 3 cylinders.

The Honda dealer is trying to tell me that this problem was caused by my using an independent service mechanic who put non-Honda spark plugs, wires, rotor and cap in it.
    They also told me that the valve clearance should have been adjusted at 30K and 60K. Apparently Honda knows this
    but no one else does because it is not in the book.

I bought the car only 7 months ago from another car dealer(non-Honda). I had the 60K service done at the shop where I bought it, because I had an extended service warranty from them. It began acting up shortly after that tune up, so I brought it back several times, but when they couldn't find the problem, they sent me over to the Honda dealer.

Fortunately, my service warranty is going to cover it, but it seems to me that Honda is not owning up to the problem. They are blaming the other mechanics for not doing it right, but ignoring the fact that the owners manual does not even say it needs doing.
  • mikefm58mikefm58 Posts: 2,882
    Your Honda dealer sounds like a jerk. Have you tried calling Honda regional?
  • edgoreedgore Posts: 1
    I was shocked today that my 2 week old CRV LX Automatic with around 700 miles stopped working.

I was on a gravel road pulling onto a paved road that was raised about 5 inches higher than the gravel road. As the front wheels reached the pavement as I slowly moved forward there was hesitation and the VSR kicked in an spun the back tires to push me up and onto the pavement. When I got on the pavement and started to accelerate, it started bucking when trying to switch into a higher gear (I'm not sure if it was 2nd to 3rd or 3rd to 4th). I pulled over and saw the VSR light was on, the alert light (!) and the check engine light. I called the dealer who asked me to drive it to the service department, but I informed him that it wouldn't run without bucking and almost stalling. I told him I thought it would be safer to have it towed and he agreed.

Does anyone know what might have caused this? Let's just say I am very, very upset that my brand new car is defective like this. I purchased a new car so I wouldn't have to worry about being left stranded and that's what this honda did.

I will be in contact with the dealer tomorrow to see what they have uncovered regarding the defect but want to know if anyone else has heard of such occurances, and if anyone has any advice on how to handle this from a consumer perspective.
  • blueiedgodblueiedgod Posts: 2,797
    Fortunately, my service warranty is going to cover it, but it seems to me that Honda is not owning up to the problem. They are blaming the other mechanics for not doing it right, but ignoring the fact that the owners manual does not even say it needs doing.

You are confusing the LOCAL DEALER with HONDA CORPORATE. It is not in local dealer's interest to have Honda Corporate to pay for it because Honda only pays them $40/hour in labor and only pays wholesale for the parts, while if they have you pay for it, they charge you $80/hour in labor and you pay retail (2x wholesale) for the parts.

Honda Corporate has owned up to the problem with most people who have contacted them. But, since you have extended warranty the warranty will pick up the tab.

As far as the dealer telling you that the spark plugs caused it, ask him if he is willing to testify in court.
    Check the oil.
  • Can someone please tell me if the CRV is rough on tires? I have just over 24000 miles on my '04 CRV and my tires are already getting worn out. I have kept the air pressure checked, rotated 3 times, balanced 3 times and had at least two alignments done since purchasing my car new. I am at a complete loss as to why the tires are wearing like this. Please help! Thanks
  • I have the same problem and am at a loss as to why, at 24400 miles, I am needing a new set of tires! I also rotated, balanced, aligned, etc., several times since purchasing my '04 CR-V new 23 months ago. I am supposed to take my car in this coming weekend for an oil change and I intend to get them to check this out also. Other than this, I have enjoyed this car very much!
  • I have a 2003 Honda CRV that needs the security code reset. I don't have a manual and I live 60 miles from the nearest dealer. On the radio it says CODE and have numbers that need to be entered if I only knew how. Can someone out there Help help help Me?

Thanks....Ray
  • sky23213sky23213 Posts: 296
    Is it a LX or an EX? If it's an EX the audio is the same on mine, so I'll start typing. If it's a LX, please let us know, then someone with a LX Manual would be so kind to help you. Now let me run to the car.
    P.S. If you'd like, shoot me an e-mail (see profile) with a fax # and I'll be happy to fax it over.
  • sky23213sky23213 Posts: 296
    OK, it doesn't matter the model, its pretty much the same.
    "If your vehicle's battery is disconnected or the radio fuse is removed, the audio system will disable itself. If this happens, you will see CODE in the frequency display the next time you turn on the system. Use the preset buttons* to enter the the five digit code. .... When entered correctly, the radio will start playing.
    If u make a mistake entering the code, do not start over; complete the five digit sequence, then enter the correct code. You have ten tries to enter the correct code. If u are unsuccessful in 10 attempts, u must leave the system on for 1 hour before trying again."

* LX - those are the three buttons, marked 1-2, 3-4, 5-6 in the middle of the face plate.
    EX/SE - the six buttons 1 through 6 at the bottom of the face.

Good luck, and let us know if this helped.
  • wusterwuster Posts: 153
    It's the security code to your radio. It's the anti-theft deterrant Honda uses to keep people from stealing the radio.

If you don't have the little card with the code on it (about the size of a playing card with 4 or 6 digits on it and should be in the pouch with the owners manual), you'll have to call either Honda or a dealer service department to see if they can look it up for you. You'll need your vin# handy.
  • I drained & refilled my differential unit last night, and the problem went away.

Thanks everybody!

jellyfish
  • jacktongjacktong Posts: 1
    My Honda CRV 2002 engine had the intermittent high pitch noise when at high humidity (such as before a storm or rain) regardless of the season (winter or summer) since 2003. The problem is so dependent on if it is going to have high humidity so that I had to leave my car at the dealer for a whole week and they heard the same noise when a heavy rain came in the summer. However, they could not find any engine problem and they replaced a new belt. After a few months, that problem kicked in again and the dealer could not help at all. Usually if it rained hard last night, the noise came out in the morning when I started the car (the car is in the garage). The noise usually disappear after 1 or 2 drives (10 minutes of each). The occurrence of the noise is so predictable if it is high humidity. I also have a Honda Civic 2002 and it does not this problem. Thanks for your input or share your experiences!
  • mrhondamrhonda Posts: 10
    Hello out there.
    I'm hoping that somebody can help me here.
    My 2002 CR-V is in need of new rubber. I would like step up the quality of the original rubber. Mainly I'm looking for quiteness and smooth riding. The other thing is, I want to install slightly larger tires than the original 205/70-15. I want to keep the same rims, but gain height.
    Has anybody gone taller? I'm thinking either 215 or 225/70.
    Of course the tire peddlers don't want to really advise me here as they feel like I'm creating a huge problem for myself.
    They say I should stick with my original size and that I might have to sign waivers if I insist on changing the size.
    Does anybody know if the two sizes I'm considering will fit with plenty of clearance? I know speedometer will be off, but I really don't speed (much) anyway.
    Your input is greatly desired. Thanks
  • phil_qcphil_qc Posts: 11
    Yokohama Avid TRZ 215-70-R15...
    Go read the review on TireRack.com
    I got these ones for 2 weeks and love them...

Phil.
  • mrhondamrhonda Posts: 10
    Hey thanks for responding.
    So the 215's fit with no clearance problemos? Did you notice any change with your speedometer? What did you gain in overall height, about an inch? Do you think the 225's would have fit? I read the reviews on TR.com. Some were favorable and some not. Main complaint was premature wear. My stock cheap BS Duellers that came with the car actually have gone over 60K with even wear. Would you consider the Yoko's a step in up in quality?
    Are they quite, for that is what I'm really hoping for.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 31,090
    The difference in diameter will be around 3/8".. hardly noticeable...

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• chuck914chuck914 Posts: 15
    I think the little gain is not worth it. There is a reason why a dealer may want you to sign a waiver; safety being the main reason. Not only will your speedometer be "off", but you could create problems with your ABS and other sensors that relay vehicle speed. Personally, I wouldn't mess around with Honda engineering... from tire pressures to tire size, those engineers have a reason for specifications.
  • 1901190119011901 Posts: 1
    I can't open the front passenager door from the inside. I can open it from the out side. I would like a diagram of how to take apart the inside of the door.Without destroying the different parts. I have a 1998 honda CRV.
  • varmintvarmint Posts: 6,326
    I don't have a diagram, but I've done the job.

Take a phillips head screw driver, remove the screws, and pull the plastic panel off. It's really that easy. You just have to be sure to get all the screws. There's a few hidden under the armrest (buried deep in holes) and another hidden under the latch. The rest are easy enough to find.

If I recall correctly, there are a few "plastic rivets" which must be removed as well. Sometimes these are referred to as acorn nuts. So removing the real screws will not result in a completely loose panel. You kinda have to take a leap of faith and tug the thing off.
  • I have noticed a low throbbing sound coming from the front end of my 04 CRV with real time 4 wheel drive. It's not very loud, only noticeable on very smooth asphalt roads where there is virtually no road noise. It's also speed sensitive, getting a quicker tempo as my speed increases. I'm trying to decide if this is just normal, probably transaxle, sound; or if it might indicate something is not functioning properly. Has anyone else noticed something like this?
  • zarbazarba Posts: 30
    My wife drives a '97 CR-V. 115K miles. The torque converter won't lock up in cold weather. I have heard that this is related to the thermostat. I had a mechanic who knew about this issue, but he's left town, and no other mechanics seem to know what I'm talking about.

In hot weather, it locks up just fine. We did replace with a slightly hotter thermostat, and it seemed to help for a bit, but hasn't eliminated the problem.

Does anyone have information on what temp thermostat I need to install?
    Sorry, that's a new one to me.
  • zlinzlin Posts: 1
    My 2005 CR-V has a problem with the auto mode of power window (driver side). When I hit auto mode for rolling up the windown, it always stops in the half way and rolls back down a bit. I have to hold the bottom to roll the windown up. I sent the car back to the dealer twice and they claimed to fix the problem by re-setting and re-initating the function (I doubt strongly). Actually it worked for only one day and the problem returns. Can anyone give me suggestions? Thanks a lot.

Zee
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 31,090
    ...relating to the tray table between the front seats.. ;)

Sorry.. it is the only problem I have..

Anyway, the lever that releases the table to fold down just spins... I can reach under the table and push the hinge back manually, so that it will fold down (no idea I could do this before), but I can't figure out what is missing from the lever.

I laid down in the floor (harder than it sounds) to look under the table, but I can't tell what is wrong.. Is there a piece broken off of the lever? Anyone else have this problem, and if so, is it an easy fix?

I thought I'd be able to tell just by looking, but it is hard to see under there and I can't figure it out..

Thanks,
    kyfdx

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• Ditto! I noticed this after my first servicing. I have notified the dealership and just received a call from them saying it was due to alignment and wheel balancing issues. It can be noticed very well a low speeds and very smooth roads. So I am going in today to test drive it myself and confirm if the issue is resolved.
  • Interesting. How many miles on your vehicle? Mine has 34,000 miles. My dealer is saying they don't hear anything out of the ordinary, but I'm wondering if they really took the time to test it on the type of road I told them to.
  • I drive a 2000 CR-V that is at about 95,000 mi. Since about the middle of winter, it began stalling every once in a while when I approached a stop. I took it in to get fixed, and my mechanic said that nothing was wrong with it except for the spark plugs, which he replaced.

However... something is definitely wrong with it. The stalling is getting worse and worse and more annoying every day that goes by! I'm taking it in to the mechanic AGAIN, but I'd like to give him something to look for this time, in hopes that it will actually get fixed. Has anyone else had this problem? Can you PLEASE help? I don't know much about cars, so any info would be helpful.

THe only time that it doesn't stall out at every stop sign is if it's been running for 10 minutes before I put it in gear and take off... or if I've been driving for about 20 minutes or so.
    I drive a 2000 CR-V that is at about 95,000 mi. Since about the middle of winter, it began stalling every once in a while when I approached a stop. I took it in to get fixed, and my mechanic said that nothing was wrong with it except for the spark plugs, which he replaced.

However... something is definitely wrong with it. The stalling is getting worse and worse and more annoying every day that goes by! I'm taking it in to the mechanic AGAIN, but I'd like to give him something to look for this time, in hopes that it will actually get fixed. Has anyone else had this problem? Can you PLEASE help? I don't know much about cars, so any info would be helpful.

THe only time that it doesn't stall out at every stop sign is if it's been running for 10 minutes before I put it in gear and take off... or if I've been driving for about 20 minutes or so.

When were the valves adjusted last time?
    Unfortunately, stalling can be caused by several issues. It's very difficult to pin point the exact cause. Sometimes it is a combination of issues.

I had the problem once and all it required was to have the throttle body cleaned.