Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda CR-V Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• dm25dm25 Posts: 6
    We too have a 2000 CRY. Bought it new. It's been very reliable, like all our Honda/Acura products. Regarding engine RPM, pushing in the overdrive button on the end of the gear shift lever initiates overdrive which significantly reduces RPM. With the overdrive disengaged ( button out) the revs are pretty high -- about like our '72 Datsun, which had no overdrive and at last check, had about 250,000 miles on the odometer.
  • blueiedgodblueiedgod Posts: 2,803
    Hi,

I have a 02 CRV with just over 51K miles. CEL came on about a week
    back, got the OBD2 code last night which is P1457 (Evaporative
    Emissions EVAP Control System Leakage EVAP Canister System). I stopped
    at the dealer this AM, and actually got a copy of TSB 02-026 dated May
    28, 2002. It states that the fix is inspect/replace EVAP two-way
    bypass solenoid valve. They are checking on the parts availability,
    but it appears to be about $70 for the part and another $70 for labor.

- any one familiar with this code?
    - could it possibly be fixed with a new gas cap? old cap was tight
    - is replacing this valve a DIY type project?
    - the wife and I are taking a road trip monday to Atlanta ~650 miles
    one way...is this safe to drive or do i risk doing serious damage?
    - i still need to reset the CEL and see if it re-appears

thanks!
    -mark-

See if it is covered under the extended emissions warranty. In some years, it ran for 8 years/100,000 miles. My 2005 Warranty booklet says it is only 3 years/36,000 miles.
  • chochchoch Posts: 3
    had the same problem on my 05. The front fuse blew. I use an inverter in it and may or may not have shorted it but I can't remeber having the problem. I actually pulled the rear plug out of the wall when trying to remove a 12v plug. Use both hands on the front and rear as they seem flimsy. Did you have spare fuses in the left hand mini compartment on the lower dash?
  • chochchoch Posts: 3
    I have read on one of these forums that the Japan made product VIN starts with a J and the English with something else. Mine is with a J
  • lautazilautazi Posts: 2
    I'm having the same problem with my cd player, except now the cd's won't eject and won't play.

I did try disconnecting the battery with no success. My warrarty expired(2002CRV) in Jan and the dealer said they don't fix cd players but they could install a new one for 1,600. Did you get yours fix?
  • esufesuf Posts: 1
    Hi kyfdx

I bought my used 2003 crv without owners manual. I disconnected my battery when i went on a vacation. I dont have the card that you were referring in your discussion. now my radio is asking for code. Pls let me know that is there any other way to activate my radio or where can i get that card?.

jamal
    Hi kyfdx

I bought my used 2003 crv without owners manual. I disconnected my battery when i went on a vacation. I dont have the card that you were referring in your discussion. now my radio is asking for code. Pls let me know that is there any other way to activate my radio or where can i get that card?.

jamal

Option A: Take the radio out, take the serial number to your local Honda dealer. With proof of ownership, they will give you the code.

Option B: Find what dealer originally sold the car, they may have a record based on VIN number.

Option C: Sometimes dealerships affix a sticker with the code on the outside of the glove box. It can be seen when fully opened.

Option D: If you bought it privatley, contact previous owner for the manual and the code.
    I'm having the same problem with my cd player, except now the cd's won't eject and won't play.

I did try disconnecting the battery with no success. My warrarty expired(2002CRV) in Jan and the dealer said they don't fix cd players but they could install a new one for 1,600. Did you get yours fix?

Contact Honda corporate, they may cover the repair as coutesy. You can buy an aftermarket for much less or same OEM radio on ebay for $200. Install is "plug-n-play." Radios from Accords, Civics and other Hondas will generally fit and won't require wiring modifications if they were from 1999 and up vehicles.
  • ric1ric1 Posts: 1
    I own a 2003 CRV with 48,000 miles. I need to replace all four tires. I would appreciate recommendations on replacements for a hot Texas climate.
  • lautazilautazi Posts: 2
    I've got four cd's in the player. They won't play and they won't eject.The radio is working fine. How do I remove the cover on the dash to get them out. Anyone have a diagram of where the scews are and how to do this myself? Honda was no help..."they don't repair cd players, they gave me an address of a stereo store to buy a new one ". Ya think they would have said this when I left my car for this service in the first place. Any ideas would be helpful?
  • mikefm58mikefm58 Posts: 2,882
    I'm in central Florida and bought Michelin X-Ones, great tires. Wet traction as well as tread wear in hot climate were the big issues with me. I'v got 60K miles on them and should get about 10K more.
  • Try http://www.tirerack.com/
    User friendly website that takes your from "zero" to solution, good service and good price.
  • higgins2higgins2 Posts: 2
    ive got a 99 crv, and ive got a bad idle problem. when its started, it dies. i give it gas to keep it going and once its sttarted and warm it runs fine. ive checked for vacuum leaks and found none. the timing belt has been done and so has a complete tune up, and i cant seem to find the problem. does anyone have any advice for me?? thanks
  • higgins2higgins2 Posts: 2
    oh yea ive also tired adjusting the idle via the throttle cable adjustment
  • bullybully Posts: 5
    Is your crv 4x4 ?? have u checked the tires and road surface between the city streets and the high way
    Have u tried replacing the fuel filter?? maybe clogged. Or try a different gas station
    coming from the top of the door. open the door and gently bend the top towards the car and your leaking should be gone
    Does anyone know how to manually reset the airbag light???
  • riggrigg Posts: 3
    The overdrive issue gets kinda confusing sometimes. If I understand correctly, overdrive should always be ON during normal driving conditions. On the 2000 CRV, if you turn the OD OFF a light comes on (on the the dash) indicating "OD OFF." OD OFF is only for steep hills or "engine braking" conditions. Correct? When the OD is ON, there will be no indicator light on the dash.

I took my 1st short highway trip this weekend in our CRV (140 mi round trip). When merging onto the highway the engine went up to about 3000-3500 RPM while getting up to 60MPH. Once I got up to highway speed (65-70MPH) the RPM hovered around 2800 RPM. I was really pleasantly surprised how well it accellerated!
    ive got a 99 crv, and ive got a bad idle problem. when its started, it dies. i give it gas to keep it going and once its sttarted and warm it runs fine. ive checked for vacuum leaks and found none. the timing belt has been done and so has a complete tune up, and i cant seem to find the problem. does anyone have any advice for me?? thanks

Check valve adjustment. Even though manual says they should be done at 90K intervals, in reality, they need to be adjusted every 30 K. Honda is aware fo that and if it turns out that one of the valves is burnt, they will cover it. This is done at the corporate level, not dealer. First, get a diagnosis from Honda, then call Honda corporate (number on the back of the manual), comlain mildly, and they will either cover it fully, or split the cost with you.