Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda CR-V Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• mikefm58mikefm58 Member Posts: 2,882
    I hope this will make you fell better. According to my owner's manual, mine is also 99 CRV, for both normal and severe conditions it says, "Inspect valve clearance" at 105K miles or 84 months, "adjust only if noisy". It says nothing about a valve adjustment every 30K miles. If I had to point a finger, I'd say the dealer who did your timing belt messed up.
  • gleeson3gleeson3 Member Posts: 1
    I am getting 20 to 19 mpg instead of the 22-26 i am supposed to be getting. I heard one man who was getting only 14. Does anyone have this problem and what does the shop say they are going to do about the new cars to get better mileage?
  • theracoontheracoon Member Posts: 666
    Gas mileage is a recurring theme in the Hondasuv.com boards, too.

I have a '99 EX 5 speed that I regularly get 25 mpg around town and 28+ mpg highway, better than the EPA estimates. Others with the same year and model, but with an automatic transmission, have reported as low as 17 mpg.

I drive very conservatively, including rarely exceeding the posted speed limit. In the vehicle I owned prior to the CR-V (another small 4 cylinder powered SUV) I drove from Indianapolis, IN to Houston, TX using major highways and toll roads where the posted speeds were 65 or 70. Crossing Texas from Houston into New Mexico I drove secondary highways, where the posted limit was 55. My gas mileage crossing Texas was over 20% higher than the leg from Indy to Houston, only because I was driving slower.

Driving conditions, temperature, and your personal driving habits dramatically affect the gas mileage you will get. Accelerate slowly, anticipate having to stop, and keep your top speed down. I was once told that you should imagine an egg between your foot and accelerator and try not to break the egg. I'm not quite that conservative, but I also don't mash the accelerator to the floor.

YMMV ;)
  • safronicsafronic Member Posts: 5
    Well i'm no car expert, so i'm just assuming its the tranny. Here's my problems:
    1. Turn the ignition, step on brakes, release hand brake, shift shifter from park(P) to drive(D). As soon as I get to D, the RPM counter goes up, (from about 700rpm to about 1500rpm) and the car hesitates to move at this point. I have to wait for the RPM needle to drop back to the idle range(700rpm) before I step on the gas. This fluctuation in the RPM needle only takes about 2 seconds, but its driving me nuts, and it didn't do that before when I first got the car. My experience with other cars is when you shift from P to D, its smooth and the RPM needle barely moves, maybe from 700 to 900 if that much. I have my CRV less than a month now and about 1600 miles on it.
    2. Sometimes when I step on the gas from a stop(like at a traffic light or stop sign),it would 'skip' then go. The 'skip' is hard to explain, its like a sudden 'jerk' forward, then the transmission would engage and the car would move normally.
    3. Going about 40mph and taking my foot off the gas pedal, the car begins to slow down(which is normal), but I feel a bit of friction(like if i'm applying the brakes) although i'm not. Its like the car goes into a sluggish state.

Has anyone out there experienced similar problems on their new CRVs? and what was the fix? Other than these problems, I absolutely love my CRV, and I have accessorise it with the front splash guards, side steps, roof rack, wheel locks, and i'm thinking about the fog lights.

Thanks much,

Moe
  • varmintvarmint Member Posts: 6,326
    Moe - Got a couple of questions for you. Does it idle at a high RPM? And has the car warmed up before you shift into drive? Thanks.
    varmint, idle range is about 700-850rpm. Warm up time before shifting into D is about 1 to 1 1/2 minute.

Thanks,
    Moe
  • punkintozepunkintoze Member Posts: 8
    Hi!
    I am considering purchasing a used '97 CRV. I've done a lot of research and I am pretty sure this is what I want. I wasn't as crazy about the Forester or Rav. Anyway, I currently have a '98 2-door Civic Hatchback that I love, but am having a baby and need something bigger. Plus I own a dog.
    Anyway, this CRV has high miles (140k!) but I am on a budget. It is extremely clean. The only issue is that while turning the rear near the tires make a clunking noise, like "clunk, clunk, clunk...". The dealer just got the vehicle in and they haven't investigated yet, but they say they WILL fix it. We hear the noise turning left and right. The CRV is only $7,900. I won't be putting many miles on it so I am not too worried about the high mileage. Hondas are generally great cars and go for a long time.
    So, I'm wondering if any of you know what this noise could be? They said something about perhaps the wrong fluid being used? I don't know what that means. Any help is greatly appreciated!
    Chris
  • rpunzalanrpunzalan Member Posts: 2
    Hi,

I bought a 2002 CRV EX last December and its my first time to smell a burning-like smell under the hood. It was very strong the first time but time passed and its less now. Unfortunately, the smell is still there. The dealer told me that this is just the smell of the burning metal because its new. I though it was a leak on the exhaust. The dealer checked it and the exhaust is fine. I was told to give it a few thousand miles for it go away. Its been three months now since I bought the CRV and the mileage is 3000+ (went to Vegas) but the smell is still there. It wasn't as bad as before though. Has anyone had this experience? Is this normal?

/ron
  • tntitantntitan Member Posts: 306
    I have a 2002 - Ex with 4,700 miles I have averaged 23.4 MPG so far. Drive around 75 on the interstate and normal (not babying it) around town. This mileage is all city traffic but about half is interstate commute during rush hour. I believe the mileage would be 20 if I stood on top of the pedal all the time.
  • dudkadudka Member Posts: 451
    the noise in the rear is an indication of needed dudal pump fluid change. the dealer should be able to isolate the noise and fix it by replacing the fluid.

the burning smell is most likely what the dealer told you, the painted metall parts geting hot and producing the smell. it is kind of the new car smell, most alot of people buy the "new car smell" air fresheners just to get that sensation :-)
  • luv2motorluv2motor Member Posts: 25
    Hello all,
    I just signed on to this CR-V board. It's really cool to be able to learn and share with folks who have a vehicle like yours. Mine is a 2002 CR-V EX.
    How do you respond to a message?
    Luv2motor - Welcome to the forum. There's no function for responding directly to a specific message. Postings are listed chronologically. One thing that you can try is posting the message number to which you are responding. For example, "in response to post #59...."
  • pop3ppop3p Member Posts: 2
    I have had my crv for about three days but am having a difficult time shifting in to second and first gear (from drive). It looks like when I attempt to shift from park to second, the gear stopped at drive and will not go lower. To shift from drive down to second gear is very hard, it would not move down to second. Am I doing something wrong. ??????

thanks
    mike phuvie
    pop3p, I think the gear shifter(lever) does not follow a straight line. I've found it to be more like an Acura shifter, where you need to slide the lever to the left or right and then down to get it to change into the lower gears, and not just pull or push down on the lever in a straight line.

Hope this helps.

Moe
  • inkieinkie Member Posts: 281
    to shift to second and first don't move the lever to the left as you do for drive and reverse, from drive shift it straight down into 2nd and first.
  • scnamescname Member Posts: 296
    but assert just a slight force to the left while pulling down.
    Has anybody driving a 2002 CR-V 4-sp. auto experienced a click coming from under the dash when you come to a full complete stop and then again when taking off? I have brought this to the attention of my dealer and he tells me that it's the shift solenoid that locks out any possible accidental shifting into reverse while driving. The thing is, it didn't do it at first. Started to click after about 3,000 mi. I test drove other ' 02 CR-V's with less milage and they didn't click. Dealer says that all will eventually do this. Anybody out there with over 2-3 K experiencing this annoying click? If yes, let me know so that I can just shut up about it. If no, I'll be talking some more to Mr. dealer. Note: turn off the radio and listen when you come to a stop.
    Thank you
  • muckyduckmuckyduck Member Posts: 219
    I've also heard it, but I have to be really listening for it. So far it is not annoying at all. Don't know if it gets louder with more mileage.
    The more I drive my '02 CR-V the more I love it. In fact, I like the car so much, I want it to be close to perfect! Which brings me to tires. I have Bridgestone Duellers(sp) HT. Are these considered to be excellent quality tires? Or are they basic tires that Honda uses?
    The reason I ask is this. I seem to get a loud amount of road noise on all surfaces. Little less on tightly compacted asphalt. I know that road noise was a big concern on previous CR-Vs and that my '02 was suppose to have a lot less. Have any of you out there replaced the stock Bridgestones with a higher quality passenger type tire and have these tire lessened the road noise? The tread design on the stock tires seem a little blocky, like truck type. Or, is road noise a condition that one must live with.
    Any comments?
    Thanks
  • sluglineslugline Member Posts: 391
    The Dueler H/T are basic tires. I think that the 205/70/15 on the CR-V was designed specifically for this vehicle by Bridgestone. (Compare the CR-V version to any other vehicle with the H/T-branded tires and you will see what I mean.) When shopping Bridgestone's truck-tire lineup look for the "Uni-T" mark for higher quality tires: Dueler H/P for high-performance street trucks, Dueler A/T for offroading, and Dueler H/L for smooth riding (intended for the luxury-SUV market). When my factory-installed H/Ts wore out (30,000 miles) on my 2000 EX, I had them replaced with a set of H/Ls, which noticeably cut down on road noise. For maximum "hush" consider switching to passenger-car tires if off-road performance is not a concern to you.
    I know that some owners have reported positive feedback for the Michelin X-Ones.

I have Goodyear Auquatred 3's on mine. I had the BFGs prior to the change. There's only a slight improvement in road noise, but I got them because for their decent marks for wet weather and all season ability. It's a must where I live.
  • canuck12canuck12 Member Posts: 5
    As an owner of a '97 CR-V with over 125,000 kms (70,000 miles) I had a problem which caused my vehicle to simply die on the road. After a lot of investigating, I found the problem - a defective ignition switch. Since starting to broadcast this message thru various forums, I am not alone. Lots of others have had the same problem at that mileage and found the ignition switch to be the problem. Honda refuses to say anything so most dealers know nothing about it. See www.visualimpressions.ca/switch for full details.
  • chuckk1chuckk1 Member Posts: 13
    I backed my 2001 Silver SE CRV into a post, and it has cracked the bumper fascia on the right rear, and on the side, it has pulled away from its mounts. Can I buy another one, and install as a DIY project? I've been told that it's difficult, then some posters on that other website, who have modified their CRV's, had ocassion to remove and reinstall this. Just hoping to stay out of the body shops, where I'll leave them my arm and a leg, as payment for this kind of work.
  • theracoontheracoon Member Posts: 666
    Here's a link to the instructions in Adobe Acrobat format for installing the Honda OEM trailer hitch, which requires removing the rear bumper (thanks to Hparts.com for the instructions):

http://www.hparts.com/pdf/21706.pdf

You can decide for yourself if it's too much work to remove/replace the bumper. Looks like lots of bolts/screws to remove but otherwise straight forward.

The bumper fascia looks to be less than $160 but it wouldn't be painted to match your SE. You'd have to have a body shop do the painting, or just go with all black.

Good luck, take pictures, and let us know how it goes!
  • mikefm58mikefm58 Member Posts: 2,882
    Do you know if this has been reported with the 99 CRV? I'm approaching the critical mileage you mentioned, but so far no stalling. Thanks for the info.
  • geenee87geenee87 Member Posts: 30
    Has anyone experienced a whistling noise with CR-V ex 2002 at higher speeds....about 45mph. Any clues what this may be???? Moonroof???? And what I should do about it...it is kind of annoying when the radio is off?
    As a lot of Honda CR-V owners have not reached the critical mileage, there have been no reports of 1999 problems - you could be the first.

Dealers still report 'no problems' but then most vehicles they see in my part of the world do not have that much mileage.

At least you know the symptoms and solution so that will save you time and money should the problem occur.
  • daydreamerdaydreamer Member Posts: 4
    Hi geenie87- My 2002 CRV EX has a whistling noise at higher speeds. It seems to be dependent upon wind direction and is louder at colder ambient temperatures. I was thinking it was the roof rack. I'm taking it into the dealer next week to get it checked out and will let you know if there's a solution.
    The dealer localized the whistle to the roof rack and called the Honda service line. Apparently there's a strip that needed to be taken out and reversed. This seems to have fixed the noise, but time will tell.
    I also have a roof rack.......could it be where the whistling noise is coming from also. How has yours been since you took it to the dealer.
    Ready to change my oil on the 02 crv and I looked at the oil filter and its different than the standard 15400poh305 recommended by the dealer that I purchased from. The crv's is longer and smaller in circumference does any one know if this is a one time filter or did they give me the wrong one? The one on the crv is made by tennex corp.# tixi8. Seems to me that the filter is wider on the poh 305 so the gasket won't contact the lip.
    INKIE You may want to ask that question about the oil filter in the other message board with 7000 plus messages... this message board hardly ever gets many messages it seems
    This is the right place for this query lets see how it goes
    Can I cut and paste any thing I post here to another board if I had to? Geenee may be right, about the action here.
  • sluglineslugline Member Posts: 391
    Don't panic inkie -- there are folks lurking around here. The main CR-V board is well populated from all over, but the serious CR-V owners on Town Hall know that these Owners Club conferences exist.

Now as to your query about the oil filters: Is the filter on your CR-V the original one from the factory? If so, then the answer lies in the difference between nations. Honda itself doesn't make oil filters, but licenses its name for use on "Genuine Honda" supplies like these. In Japan (where your car was almost certainly made), Honda uses filters from a manufacturer somewhere in Asia. In North America, Honda places its imprimatur on filters from two companies, one in the USA and the other in Canada. All the filters should be interchangeable and should meet Honda standards, but each manufacturer's filter will have a separate part number for identification purposes. I think the part number you have the Canadian one.

Other examples: Factory tires for the CR-V are either BF Goodrich Touring T/A or Bridgestone Dueler H/T. Spark plugs are either NGK or NipponDenso. "Multisourcing" can be a good business strategy for Honda because it won't become too dependent on one supplier for parts.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    inkie Apr 29, 2002 11:05pm

If you want others in one discussion to see your question/comment in another discussion within the Town Hall, right click on the post number and choose "copy link address". Paste the link into the other discussion. It will appear like the one above. When they click on it, it will take them to that discussion.

If you have any other questions, let me know!

KarenS
    Host
    Owners Clubs
    Geenee- No sign of the whistle and I do a lot of highway driving. It was definitely the roof rack which I had installed at Honda. But they fixed it by reversing one of the rubber strips.
    Thanks for the info. I wll go ahead and remove the filter and see if the poh 305 fits.

Karen Thanks I will use the "copy link" when needed.
    thanks for the info about the whistle....but was it one of the rubber strips that goes across the top of the car, the installed roof rack parts? They seem to look the same on both sides, I don't see what would be the difference. I have to go near the car dealer on thursday....should i take it in and have them check it?
    Sorry to say I don't know which rubber strip needed to be reversed. It's definitely worth taking it to the dealer though since they'll be able to fix it. My dealer called the Honda service line for instructions. It's a common problem with installation of the roof rack.
    I just changed my oil filter two days ago. The first time was done by my dealer and they installed one of the Honda American made filters (Filtech). The Canadian made filters are Fram. The best filters are from Japan but you can't get those here. By the way, it is not very easy to get to when you go to change it - mounted sideways and pretty likely to spill some oil on the way down.
    Thanks for your input on the filter change, I changed my filter & oil yesterday and as I surmised the ph 305 does not fit. A internet dealer sold me the 305 and said it is the one for the CRV 2002. He was wrong, the right filter # is : 15400-PLM_-AO1, its a tiny filter and I think honda is crazy to recommend 10,000 oil changes and 20,000 miles filter changes for normal maint.I am going to change every 5,000.You were smart to get the first change at the dealer. Honda in Japan must have gotten gorrillas to tighten the filter and plug. Even with the right tools I had to modify the filter wrench to get it off. Thw washer on the oil plug has to be removed with a thin bladed tool give it a tap. For your info the PLM-AO1 is exact to the one made in Japan except this one is assembled in the U.S.None of the auto parts stores have the 2002 filters yet. If you do your own next time its easy to get to from the bottom.Your right about spillage so you have to fabricate a cover for the boot area. I used saran wrap and a cut plastic pail..
    The filter that the dealer put on my CRV was the 15400-POH-305 and that is the same filter that I just put on for the 2nd oil change. It seems to fit perfectly although I agree that it is small. I will have to check the owners manual to see if you are right about the other filter size. Where did you get the "right" filter size information about the 15400-PLM-A01? Is that the same filter made by a different manufacturer? Is it a Filtech? I was under the impression that all of the Hondas in the last few years were using the same oil filter size.
    As I posted, I got the 15400-plm-ao1 from a honda dealer thats what should fit on the 2002 crv. The poh 305 is much larger in circumfrence maybe the gasket is the same size as the ao1. and thats why it fits I dunno. the ao1 is made by honda usa and it looks exactly as the one I took off that was made in japan. I happened to stop by the dealer I purchased the crv from and stopped off at the service dep't and they said they just got the ao1's in and they said thats the filter for the 2002 crv.Check your filter number and I bet it the tiny dinky 15400 plm ao1. I guess if the poh305 fits its okay but when I checked the inside of the poh305 vs. the dinky ao1 I notice a dfference maybe thats why they say it could go a long time and clean oil.
  • tamiyaracertamiyaracer Member Posts: 9
    Hi everyone, this is my first post here. My daughter is in college and has a '98 CR-V EX. As it just approached 100K miles, she left the car with me and I had the timing belt and water pump replaced. Upon driving the car, I noticed that the performance was really bad on steep hills when I approached them at low speed and then stepped on the accelerator (auto transmission in D3 or D4). All that happens is that the engine emits a deep roar but it's as if the car is lugged down in the wrong gear. It's hard to tell what gear it's in, unless you floor the accelerator, then it obviously downshifts into 1st. When I had the timing belt replaced (at an independent garage that only services Japanese cars), they checked the timing, compression, etc, and all was good with the engine. They didn't have diagnostic equipment to check the transmission, so I guess I'm stuck going to Honda for that diagnostic service. Has anyone had a similar problem? I've tried to look at all the connectors and wiring bundles to see if something was not connected. By the way, the car runs fine on level ground and will take most hills OK as long as the initial speed is up.
    That's a new one by me. The CR-V has a grade-logic transmission (it senses when it's on a hill and adjusts). I've always assumed the the grade-logic is computer controlled. Maybe something in the unit has been fried?

I think you'll have to see what the dealer mechanic has to say.
    I have just been notified by Transport Canada that Honda Japan is in the process of a major recall of close to 2 million vehicles including CR-V's and Odyessy's with regards to the ignition switch problem as detailed on my website:

www.visualimpressions.ca/switch

After hitting my head up against a brick wall trying to get someone to listen and acknowledge this deadly fault, it appears the word has been spread far and wide and action is finally being taken.
  • andyokstateandyokstate Member Posts: 8
    Good afternoon all,

I've got a '98 CRV "all wheel" drive. When I make a fairly sharp turn, for instance doing a U-turn or driving into a parking spot, there's a low-pitched squeal. It doesn't do it consistently every turn, but it is quite frequent. I *think* it's coming from the rear. It's definitely not the sound if you hear if you turn the steering wheel as far as it can go one direction.

Any ideas what it could be?
  • protege_fanprotege_fan Member Posts: 2,405
    Power steering pump?
  • andyokstateandyokstate Member Posts: 8
    I have issues with your response time! :-) I have checked and power steering fluid is full. What would I need to do to check the pump...or IS there anything that I can do to check it myself? Thank you sir!