Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda CR-V Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• I have the same problem with my 2005 CRV SE. At 2100 - 2300 RPM, with cruise control on, and on a straight-a-way, the car makes a loud noise as if there is a small hole in the muffler. It sound like a truck.

The dealer told me this was normal. My wife bought her 2005 CRV a wekk before me, and her's runs softly under all conditions, and even has less wind-noise.

My model was assembled in the UK. Her model elsewhere. I am going the Lemon-Law route.
  • varmintvarmint Posts: 6,326
    Just to clarify. It's not the belt itself. It's the tensioner for the belt.
  • Thank you. I did use the high temp grease provided with the pad kits from Honda. My next step will be to replace the retainers the pads slide on after doing a thorough rust removal and greasing of the surfaces.
  • harvey44harvey44 Posts: 178
    I had a 98 and now I've got a 2006. It SEEMS to me that my 98 was better at climbing our steep snowy/icy (10% grade) driveway in the mountains. On the 98, the wheels would slip more but it always got up. The 2006 doesn't seem to slip but sort of gives up - the clutch is slipping? Not sure. Can anyone else relate?
  • I'm not an expert on this, but could it be that the stability/traction control is preventing your wheels from slipping in a situation where you NEED your wheels to slip? Try pushing the button that says, I think, "ASR" (it's next to the cruise control button to the left of the steering wheel). A little exclamation mark in a triangle warning light will show up to tell you that the traction control is off. See if that makes it easier to drive up. (Turn it back on later for normal driving.)
  • I'd bet tamaraster is correct...

Moderator - Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• the bulb that lights up behind the fuel gauge on my '97 CR-V has burned out, making it difficult to read at night. I asked my mechanic and he said that although the bulb itself is easy and inexpensive to replace, removing the dash to get to the bulb would cost lots of $$. Is there a way to replace the bulb without spending a lot of $?
    Tamaraster,

You know the more I think about it the more I think you may be right. With my 1998 the slipping allowed the engine to maintain a higher rpms and stay in its power band when climbing the hill.

Also I've been wondering - Why the heck would the VSR have a switch on it? Why would you want to turn it off?

I think you got it!

Can't wait to try again.
  • blueiedgodblueiedgod Posts: 2,803
    the bulb that lights up behind the fuel gauge on my '97 CR-V has burned out, making it difficult to read at night. I asked my mechanic and he said that although the bulb itself is easy and inexpensive to replace, removing the dash to get to the bulb would cost lots of $$. Is there a way to replace the bulb without spending a lot of $?

The bulb is a $0.05 piece. It is easy to replace, all you have to do is take the cluster out. I think there is a screw at the top inside of the Bezel. Remove that, pull out the Bezel, there will be 3-4 screws hlding the cluster in place, remove those. Pull the cluster a bit, reach in and squieze the tabs on the connectors and disconnect the cluster. Remove the cluster, the bulbs will be on the backside of the PCB. An easy 15 minute job for an experienced mechanic.
    I'd bet tamaraster is correct...

Yeap, I bet you the OP never read the OWNER's MANUAL which would have explained how to turn off the VSA. The Switch is labeled "VSA off" The owner would have also noticed that when the 2006 "gave up" the VSA light would flash as well as an "exclamation point in a triangle."

Reading the OWNER's MANUAL is the key here. :-)
  • Yeah, my understanding is that some situations require slippage - like digging out of mud or snow - and in those situations, turning off the stability control is a good idea. (I was able to get out of some snow the other day by doing this and putting the car - auto trans here - into 2.)
    I did read the manual, and I do know how to turn the VSA off. My OP said that I wasn't sure why you would do that, not how. If the manual indicates why you would turn it of the VSA, I missed it. I always read my manual at least twice. Love it. As for noticing the VSA indicator light, I'd be surprised (and impressed) with someone who is cool enough to navigate our driveway in 10 inches of snow, while watching the dash instead of the road. Thanks to those who helped.
  • jcufrjcufr Posts: 4
    I think your statement is absolutely absurd. If you do not want to provide useful information then maybe you should go to the Rav-4 message board. Have you experienced your vehicle actually changing lanes while you are driving? If you have experienced such a thing you would not be making the ridiculous comments you are currently submitting. I didn't buy a brand new vehicle to have it in the shop only a week after purchasing it. Also, I didn't purchase a vehicle to have three more visits between two different dealerships for repairs and a Honda representative also examine my vehicle. I was under the impression Honda made quality vehicles. So, until you have been through this, you have nothing to comment on going forward!!
  • tedtcbtedtcb Posts: 39
    So to clarify, when driving in snow on a typical interstate like I 95 in NY.CT—basically flat-- do you recommend Stability Control stay “on”
    t
    As for noticing the VSA indicator light, I'd be surprised (and impressed) with someone who is cool enough to navigate our driveway in 10 inches of snow, while watching the dash instead of the road.

So, when you drive, do you know what speed you are at, and what RPM's the engine is running at, or whether the engine is overheated, or if you have enough gas to get there, or if the oil is gone and you are grinding metal against metal in the engine?

God forbid if you had to shift...

Basic driving skills to me.

Peace.
  • sceglascegla Posts: 20
    I never turn my VSA off... never had a need to yet.
  • tamarastertamaraster Posts: 107
    In this situation (driving on a snowy highway), you should definitely leave the VSA on. This is the exact type of situation it is designed to help in.

The only time to turn VSA off is a situation where you can only proceed by purposely letting your wheels spin - as in trying to dig out of mud or snow.

In normal driving, having your wheels lose traction is a mistake, and VSA is designed to compensate for that mistake so that you don't run off the road or whatever.

Try it out in a snowy parking lot sometime - you'll feel when it kicks in. It's important, when you feel that during normal driving, to keep steering in the direction you want to go, rather than trying to steer your way out of the slide.
  • MrShift@EdmundsMrShift@Edmunds Posts: 43,647
    Try to avoid any personal comments when contradicting another user's opinions, or your posts may be removed.
  • tedtcbtedtcb Posts: 39
    Scegla/tamaraster
    Thanks…that’s just what I thought
    My wife drove her 06 SE home on slippery 95 tonight with beautiful results
    This CRV is my 20th Honda since my first one- a Civic in 1977!
  • dhjdhj Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 CRV with 15000 miles and already have had to replace the IMT valve solenoid twice. Both times, the check engine light came on and the codes said it was a faulty IMT valve solenoid. Is this a common problem?